5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Little Player
Published on 22 Oct 2009 by B. Sluzalek

3.0 out of 5 stars Very compact but low volume
The great thing about this MP3 player is its size - even smaller than my iPod Nano. On the downside, of course it will not play the audiobooks that I had downloaded direct to iTunes. Also, the maximum volume is not high enough to combat the traffic noise as I walk to and from work each day.
Published on 21 Nov 2009 by Kevin Glover

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Little Player, 22 Oct 2009
B. Sluzalek (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony NWZB143B 4GB USB Walkman - Black (Electronics)
Bought this mp3 as a gift for someone and it's everything I thought it would be. It is recognised as an ordinary mass storage device when plugged into a PC, allowing you to 'drag and drop' music files the easy way. You can also use Windows Media Player 11, but I couldn't be done with that. I found that it is also compatible with our USB hi-fi system (plugged into the USB port, again treated as a generic memory stick).

Using the tiny screen, you can navigate through the music either by the hierarchy of files/folders or by the devices recognition of the metadata (e.g. ID3 tags with genre, album, artist, title, track) held within the individual music files. The screen is the size of a postage stamp, but does very well showing three lines of text and turns it self off after a short time to save power. The sound quality is fine as far as my ears can tell. The unit seems about twice as bulky as plain thumb drive and I reckon that the cap that covers the USB plug could be very easily lost if you're not careful. The player has a light plasticky feel to it, but it's absolutely great for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Suited my requirements better than an iPod!, 15 Oct 2009
This review is from: Sony NWZB143B 4GB USB Walkman - Black (Electronics)
I'm a a big fan of Apple gear, so when I was looking to buy a mini MP3 player, iPod shuffles were naturally the first thing I looked at. But...

This was a present for a friend, who I knew would be moving around a lot, with no computer of their own, so I wanted something which could simply be connected to any PC or Mac to manage the MP3s, without having to use special software (iTunes/Media Player etc), and without 'locking' the device to any particular computer. This MP3 player from Sony does the job nicely. Sony seem to have have ditched their ridiculous (Windows only!!) management software of a few years ago, and you can now treat this MP3 player as a flash drive, and put any MP3 files you please onto it from Windows or Mac file managers. Indeed, you can also use it as a flash drive to transport any files. Let me make this clear: You don't need to install any special software to use this MP3 player (assuming your computer is a Mac or PC made within about the 10 years or so!).

There are a few other ways in which this product won over the iPod shuffle for me:

- It has a display (ok, it's pretty small, but still it has one).
- It is a bit cheaper than an equivalent iPod shuffle (not really a big deal, but true nonetheless).
- Its controls are on the body of the device, NOT on the headphone cable, thus allowing you to use any headphones of your choice and not lose functionality.

On the other hand, it doesn't look as nice as an iPod shuffle, but Apple are pretty much always going to win aesthetic design battles, so that's no surprise!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little Player, 16 Aug 2009
Mr. Kevin Chan "Kev C" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony NWZB143B 4GB USB Walkman - Black (Electronics)
I wanted a small MP3 player and came across this, the Sansa clip (8Gb) and the latest Apple shuffle. The shuffle was immediately ignored as its full functionality relied on the supplied headphones(rubbish quality).

The Sansa clip was a good contender due to its size and storage. I chose the Sony because I own a Sony NW-HD3(still going strong) and have been very happy with it.

The player itself is compact and easy to use. Sound quality is excellent. ZAPPIN is something I haven't used yet as I know what I want to listen to. No on-the-go playlist but that never really bothered me: you can create playlists in WMP11. Transferring music was simple using WMP11.

Excellent Sony product once again and I definitely recommend this to anyone after a compact MP3 player.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine for Linux, 10 Nov 2009
This review is from: Sony NWZB143B 4GB USB Walkman - Black (Electronics)
I bought this particular player as some other reviewer(s) had pointed out that it presented itself to your PC as a standard USB mass storage device. As a Linux user, this was important to me as it was pretty unlikely that it would be usable otherwise!

I've been using the player daily for the last week or so, and am generally happy with it. I would rather have paid a bit more for greater storage, but that wasn't an option when I purchased. I'm also slightly dubious about how long the USB cap will last being pulled on/off, as it doesn't have any locking mechanism (the slider underneath marked 'hold' does something different).

Big pros, though, are ease of use, good sound quality for such a cheap device, decent battery life, and size/weight. I'd happily recommend to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 18 Sep 2009
R. Pestridge - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony NWZB143B 4GB USB Walkman - Black (Electronics)
Having never used a USB Walkman before - I had my doubts (previous to this I was using an antique cassette walkman!!). However, this is a genious, compact & powerful item. Simple to use, easy to sync tracks onto as well as remove them just by by plugging the USB straight into the computer. No tricky programs to use, it's dead straightforward! The most impressive feature is the 4GB memory - I've not even taken mine to full capacity yet, but have more music to choose from than I'll ever really need.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, small, cheap and long life battery, 24 Nov 2009
This review is from: Sony NWZB143B 4GB USB Walkman - Black (Electronics)
i was thinking of buying an mp3 only for listening to music. i also wanted it to be recahrgeable and with a reasonable amount of memory. i got everything i was expecting from this modest mp3 player. you can use it as a data traveller as well, and easy to use like a usb stick. u dont need to install any certain software.it also offers some more options such as holding, which is nice for some uncontrollable moving forward or backward. there is also a zapping option, which i don't like so much. when you resume it, it usually goes on playing from where you stopped it. sometimes takes it from the beginning, i dont know why. it says 4GB, but it is even diffiuclt to put 3.5GB data in it. still it is allright:)

4.0 out of 5 stars Walkman, 12 Oct 2009
This review is from: Sony NWZB143B 4GB USB Walkman - Black (Electronics)
I got this to handle stuff that my earlier walkman could not . That one only worked with Sony software and could handle mp3 files except some very long files .
This player has none of these problems but needs third party software ie Windows Media player to rip CDs . This is a disadvantage since WMP always seems to make a mess of this , failing to find the details for the Album which it saves as unknown . I have instead switched to I Tunes which does seem to find the details and is easier to use when it doesn't.
The player itself is very nice to use and sounds pretty good although the sound level is lower than the earlier player . The older sony was also better at compressing the files using their own alterative to MP3 which I still think sounds good .Somewhat shorter battery life but still very good .
So; easy to use , drag and drop works and sound quality is as good as before ( except ,of course , the files are larger ).

3.0 out of 5 stars Very compact but low volume, 21 Nov 2009
Kevin Glover "Kevin Glover" (Leicestershire, England) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Present, 2 Sep 2009
This review is from: Sony NWZB143B 4GB USB Walkman - Black (Electronics)
I bought this as a birthday present for my brother who can't thank me enough. He says it is great, easy to operate and vitally compact.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great concept: Awful build quality & service, 10 Nov 2010
Hi

I bought the related product Sony Walkman NWZ-B143F from a 3rd party supplier "Electronics and Gadgets Direct Ltd" via Amazon.

The attractive features included:
- Small size
- Flash disk rather than hard drive (no moving parts / more resistant to vibration)
- Built in USB plug (no USB or power cables needed)
- Drag & drop mp3s direct from Windows without needing to use Windows Media or iTunes
- Long battery life and rapid recharging
- Built in FM radio (B143F only) with ability to record direct to flash disk
- Voice recorder function, which gave quite reasonable quality recordings

I'd seen the previous reviews complaining about the loose cap covering the USB connector, and the low volume of the sound output, but was prepared to live with these drawbacks for what otherwise promised to be an ideal mp3 player for my needs; and with the Sony being the original developers of the Walkman, I figured I was getting a high quality product.

I was delighted...for the first 3 months.
Then the device began "freezing" in "play" mode. Initially this could be resolved by pressing the hard reset button with a pin; but after a while even this didn't work, and I had to leave the player running until the battery ran completely flat.
Around the same time, the file directory became corrupted. It would insist that certain files were present on the flash disk, but then wouldn't let me play or delete them. Eventually, the memory filled up with inaccessible and undeletable files.

I hoped this was just a firmware glitch, and contacted Sony to see if they could offer a firmware upgrade to solve the problem. Their recommendation was that the device was faulty and not worth the cost of repair, and should be returned to Electronics and Gadgets Direct Ltd for a replacement. Electronics and Gadgets Direct Ltd refused to replace the device and insisted that I send it back to Sony myself at my own expense; which wasn't correct, since my contract of sale is with the vendor not the wholesaler; however I was prepared to do so in order to get the replacement which I had been promised.

After 5 weeks waiting, no replacement had arrived, and I had had no contact from either Sony or Electronics and Gadgets Direct Ltd. My multiple emails where finally answered by Electronics & Gadgets Direct, who offered me a refund via Amazon (who did this immediately - thanks Amazon!), but no replacement as promised.

I am really disappointed that Sony, who were the market leaders for personal stereos for years, are selling such a poor quality product and seem to have no interest in providing decent customer service.

Similarly I would never buy again from Electronics and Gadgets Direct Ltd; who have not fulfulled their obligations as vendors, and have offered a very poor standard of customer care.

Footnote
I've since been looking at reviews of alternative flash disk based mp3 players on Amazon, and it seems that other brands (Creative, SanDisk etc.) are experiencing similar problems of failure a few months after purchase. Is this a general issue of poor quality control; or is it that the technology is not yet stable/reliable enough? If flash disk players are all so unreliable as to be effectively disposable after a couple of months, I'll buy a budget device which has similar features instead, like the SanDisk Sansa Express, and make sure I keep a backup of my mp3 files to hand.