Format: DVD|Change

on 12 October 2004
In days gone by, before Eddie Murphy became the (not so) big-screen celebrity he is now, he was a Stand Up comedian and believe it or not - probably one of the finest. He had that natural ability to reduce an audience to tears of laughter, the kind of laughter where you're holding your stomach with the pain and almost praying for Murphy to stop.
The family Barbecue, Elvis' latter years, Mr. T... Just get this video, watch it, understand what I'm on about & crease yourself.
After the success of 'Delirious' came the more polished & ultimately less effective, 'Raw'. But again some incredible comedy.
Delirious - a must see - again & again & again & again........!
on 4 May 2003
Eddie Murphy at his peak! When he did real comedy instead of the disney movies he does now. The stand up goes through his life from age 7 to 22 at his prime. The impressions of Mr T and other stars of the 80's are in here and all spot on and hilarious. Eddie murphy the comical GENIUS that he was. if you want to see comedy at its best buy this film.
PS AUNT BUNNY GREAT STUFF (you'll know what i mean when you buy this top rate stand up)
on 6 March 2007
About time! I have been waiting for this to be released on DVD for years. I only have a really bad US VHS, well worn as well. Buy this immediatley. The greatest stand up show of all time. Beleive me Eddie Murphy was not always just a guy who stars in stupid films, he used to be a genius. RAW is good, this is ten times as funny.
on 28 November 2003
Undoubtedly the ultimate stand up comedy. First watched this ten years ago and haven't stopped revisiting and laughing about Delirious to this day. Eddie Murphy at his most original and best. A definite must have for stand up lovers. If you haven't seen this yet, you haven't lived.
on 8 January 2006
I love this show Eddie did...I have never laughed so much before. When can we get this on DVD? I can tell you right now that people will buy it by the truck load...My favourite part is when he goes on about the Ice Cream... I also loved RAW but Delirious is far better...Everytime I watch it it's still funny I can watch it over and over...
on 22 April 2003
I saw this film when it was first released, when I was not an Eddie Murphy fan! Seeing Delirious changed my mind about him. I think Delirious is some of the BEST stand-up comedy available as well as some of Eddie's best work!
In Delirious, Eddie takes account of almost all aspects of his life - childhood, relationships, etc - and demonstrates how important it is to be able to laugh at oneself. This is one you will want to have in your video library!
The language is strong, and so not recommended for the young or the faint of heart!
on 19 August 2010
During the early 80's, before Eddie Murphy became an international star, he cut his teeth as a stand up comedian - and this concert took stand up comedy to a whole new level.

A lot of people have commented on his elevation of the stand up comic to rock star status, and from the start of the film with his crew and arrival in Washington DC by plane, you can see why.

Once he starts, it's pretty much laugh after laugh - and although he is basically doing a Richard Pryor show (and Murphy is a renowned fan of Pryor's work), Eddie's charisma, and the addition of impressions of famous celebrities such as Mr. T, Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley and James Brown, as well as his little hints of singing (I think he might have had a few hits if he'd chosen to sing - he certainly did a credible Michael Jackson and a sidesplitting Godfather of Soul).

His comedy will be offensive to some minorities (in particular homosexual people)- but it shows the 80's and the days when Political Correctness - the Big Brother of Censorship (and boredom!) wasn't watching, you could be controversial like this and most people would get over it.

His stories of the Ice Cream Van, family times such as Bath time and the annual 4th of July cookout are hilarious (and again, show a direct link to Richard Pryor's work, with a slight touch of Bill Cosby, though way more blue), and are both touching, and hilarious at the same time.

An essential comedy purchase in it's own right, and for those adults who have only seen Eddie in recent films (though I find that hard to believe), Delirious is Murphy at his prime, before the serious money and "serious" roles of an actor came in.
on 6 February 2007
Forget RAW, this is the definitive Murphy performance. I found RAW to be a, still funny but poorly recycled Delirious. I must have seen this 20 odd times and i still laugh all the way through. I have searched for this on DVD for years and finally here it comes. I have a very worn VHS version so am chomping at the bit to finally get this. His interpretations of Elvis, James Brown and Wacko himself are sublime. The Ice Cream gag is worth the entry alone. Very Richard Pryor but very, very funny. Don't hesitate, if you thought RAW was funny, buy this now and I promise you, you won't be disappointed.
on 23 March 2007
I can't believe this has taken so long to become available. I know Eddie Murphy was reluctant to back a release because of the somewhat politically incorrect content. (Please view it with this in mind). I'm glad he's relented. It is simply a classic.

I have lost count of how many times I watched this on VHS with friends in my late teens/early twenties (late 80's/early 90's). It is simply gut-bustingly hilarious and will have you crying with laughter. Most people around my age can quote huge chunks of it.

The ice cream man, the shoe throwing....

Most of us have also spent many years trying to track it down on any format, at almost any price. It still rates as one of the funniest stand-up routines I have ever seen.

I almost jumped out of my chair when I read it was being released at last.

Buy it!!
on 26 October 2006
I recently saw a programme that featured quotes from an Eddie Murphy stand up routine and I remembered how much I loved 'Delirious' when it came out. But when I tried to buy it, it turns out the studio hasn't released it on DVD yet!!!

This is a real shame as 'RAW', his later stand up film, isn't nearly as good.

Please, please, please pressure the studio to release 'Delirious'on DVD. It is Eddie Murphy at his best, before he becomes obsessed with his distrust of women which seems to make up the bulk of his routine in'Raw'.

If you are lucky enough to still have a VHS machine buy this now, even if it will soon become obsolete. It really is worth it!!!