5.0 out of 5 stars Merkur 15C - Where have you been all my life?
Let me start this review by sharing with you my first experience with the Merkur 15C.

Published on 25 April 2013 by D. Goncalves

2.0 out of 5 stars Update
Published on 25 Jun. 2013 by Burtnick

5.0 out of 5 stars Merkur 15C - Where have you been all my life?, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Merkur 15C Safety Razor (Personal Care)

I received mine yesterday (purchased from another website). I had shaved in the morning with my Merkur Progress with 2 passes (with and across the grain). However, at 7pm the beard had grown enough to be noticeable and I had a professional cocktail party to attend at 8pm. Having just received the Merkur, I could not resist the temptation of shaving AGAIN 12 hours after my first shave of the day. So, I put an Astra SP blade in it and used a Truefitt and Hill Sandalwood cream and shaved. Again, I did 2 passes (with and across the grain). This one shave was enough to make me fall in love with my new favorite razor.

To give you some background, I have been shaving with double edge safety razors for 2 years. I have used the famous Edwin Jagger DE89bl, the Merkur 34C (slant bar) and the Merkur progress. Of these, the DE89bl used to be my favorite for everyday shaving until I accidentally dropped it during a trip and the head broke at the screw. So, when I looked to buy a replacement, I came across the 15C. I used to think that open comb razors were aggressive (i.e., more likely to produce irritation, nicks, etc). This is not at all the case of Merkur 15C. This is very gentle on the skin while very effective in producing a great, close shave. I get a better shave (close with no irritation) with this razor than any of my other razors.

On a potential negative side, this razor feels small because the handle is thinner than in other models. To me that is not a problem, so it gets five stars, but I have read that some people may find it smaller. I think it is just a matter of getting used to it. It is well balanced which is more important and, ultimately, what matters to me is getting a great shave with zero irritation.

Thanks Merkur!

4.0 out of 5 stars nice introduction to open comb, 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Merkur 15C Safety Razor (Personal Care)
The Merkur 15c is my first open comb safety razor, and I must say I'm really impressed so far. Open comb razors tend to have a reputation for being very aggressive, but this is certainly not the case with the Merkur 15c. If anything it feels less aggressive than my Edwin Jagger Chrome-Plated Lined Handle Double-Edge Safety Razor.

But that doesn't mean that the Merkur 15c can't give you a close shave. The first time I used the 15c I felt as if I was struggling to get the correct angle, because it was as if the blade wasn't actually in contact with my skin. But once the first pass was done, I was amazed to find that my skin was already really smooth. Although it felt mild, it had actually given me a nice close shave. I was even brave enough to do another pass against the grain - that is something I just can't get away with when using my other razors.

So, in summary, if you are the type that really likes to feel the sharpness of the blade against your skin, then I would recommend you stay away from the 15c. But if you want a nice comfortable introduction to open comb safety razors, then you could do a lot worse than trying out the 15c.

UPDATE 7/1/14: after a bit more use I've decided to downgrade it to 4 stars rather than 5. The reason: it is perhaps a little bit too lightweight for my liking. Don't get me wrong, it does give a really nice shave, but I've started using the head of the 15c with the handle of my Edwin Jagger DE89 - this gives it a bit more weight and helps it to feel a little bit more aggressive.

2.0 out of 5 stars Update, 25 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Merkur 15C Safety Razor (Personal Care)
Update. Although I initially gave this product a poor review, I have recently returned to it to give it another chance as I found the Muhle open combed razor I bought to replace this, too agressive at times, leaving my face face sore sometimes, or if used with a Feather blade, a bloodied mess.I have been using this again now for the last two weeks and it has grown on me significantly. It doesnt give a shave as close as the Muhle but still gives a very close shave in fewer passes and is more comfortable by far than the Muhle.I have become a convert!

5.0 out of 5 stars like a knife through butter, 4 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Merkur 15C Safety Razor (Personal Care)
Been DE shaving for around 5-6 months using a Wilkinson sword classic, okay but not a close enough shave and a few nicks here and there but nothing major. Just had my first shave with my new Merkur 15c and Merkur blade, 2 passes and skin feels smooth. Was a bit concerned at first due to it being open comb but no worries so far, like a knife through butter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality safety razor at a reasonable price., 17 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Merkur 15C Safety Razor (Personal Care)
Excellent quality safety razor at a reasonable price. Not as close a shave as my old Apollo slant razor but still very good and easier to use without cutting oneself. A lovely personal touch re the delivery, it came with some nice little sweets in the packaging!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best DE Razor., 11 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Merkur 15C Safety Razor (Personal Care)
Just shaved with this for the first time. Used a Wilkinson sword blade and Arko foam. Found this comb razor a lot better than the standard Double edge razors. Easier to use, nice weight to it and gave me more control. Nice close shave, No grazes no cuts.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautifully made and performs as well, 31 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Merkur 15C Safety Razor (Personal Care)
beautifully made and performs as well, just be aware it is very small and this could be a problem for larger hands

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent razor, 26 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Merkur 15C Safety Razor (Personal Care)
Very comfortable shave. Open comb DE razor, nicely weighted handle, balanced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Merkur 15C Open Comb Razor, 22 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Merkur 15C Safety Razor (Personal Care)
Very well made, good plating and balance, I am very pleased shaving with this DE. It is not so aggressive as expeted for this kind of razor, is recommended for beginners also. The handle has a good grip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Merkur 15C Safety Razor (Personal Care)
Very good quality, and superb shave.

Merkur 15C Safety Razor