4.0 out of 5 stars Core All Black
I purchased the Suunto Core All Black model after stumbling across it online whilst looking for an 'outdoors' watch. The styling and the provided functions matched perfectly with what I was looking for.

Published on 22 Mar 2011 by Matt Erritty

2.0 out of 5 stars Good looks, plenty of functions, but major faults.
Published 22 months ago by J. Cleary

4.0 out of 5 stars Core All Black, 22 Mar 2011

Some online searching confirmed that it provided all the functions I would consider necessary in an outdoors watch with the fantastic ability to measure and display altitude, air pressure for weather forecasting and a compass. The same searching also revealed a number of concerns regarding the following which I hope to address:

1) Negative display being difficult to read - I can't agree with other reviewers who found the display difficult to read. It is clear in all types of light and easily readable from all but the most acute angles. I did not find it necessary to adjust the contrast but this can be done from the settings menu. The backlight works very well when using in dim light.

2) Reliability - there seems to have been considerable problems with the early core models regarding both a very short battery life and numerous errors occuring in normal usage. I have read in multiple forums that these issues have mostly been improved at some point in 2009 so any new models won't suffer from the same. In any case, Suunto provide a 2 year warranty.

I have not yet had a chance to accurately test the altimeter, but the barometer and compass functions seem to closely match reference values provided by the metservice and a standard map compass respectively.

Also, I had always been under the impression that unless a watch had a 100m water resistance marking, then it should not be used for any activity where the watch is submerged. The Core is graded as a 30m watch by Suunto but also marketed as a snorkelling watch and comes with a depth meter. Again, more discussion on forums has clarified this watch as being perfectly suitable for snorkelling, kayaking, swimming etc.

I hope to add to this review once I have been able to test it some more in the outdoors.

I've now been using the watch for over 6 months and would like to conclude that the altimeter, barometer and compass are superb.

I used the altimeter when on a multi day jeep tour in the Andes - as well as being a constant source of interest, after 3 days of ascending, descending (changes of over 2000m) and very changeable weather conditions the watch was only 5m off the reference value of a known location! Amazingly accurate.

I took the watch diving to a depth of 16m (not recommended as it is not a dive watch) and the depth displayed compared well with the actual dive equipment. It did develop a condensation ring for a while after, however I have had no issues for months now.

The battery died after about 10 months of general use. Replacing it however takes only 2 minutes.

I have downgraded the watch overall to 4 stars as the black bezel is far too easily marked by light usage. I spoke to Suunto customer services and they did suggest that if I sent the watch back then they would replace under warranty. I don't mind the scratches too much so far so haven't taken them up on this.

Overall I'm delighted both from a sports/outdoors persepective and also from a style perspective - it gets plenty of great comments.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good looks, plenty of functions, but major faults., 4 Jan 2013
J. Cleary "Gadget Junkie!" (London) - See all my reviews
Like many of the other reviewers here I bought this watch as many of my military colleagues also had the same model. The watch looks the part and as many others have commented it has plenty of functions which, if you can be bothered to read the rather lengthy manual, do occasionally come in handy. The problems I had may not necessarily bother most people but are enough for me to consign the watch to a cupboard.

1) Battery life is shocking. I bought the watch before a deployment and had to change the battery after about 5 months, then again about 6 months later. 2) Unbelievably the watch is not waterproof - this is in part down to the Barometer I think but even so other watches form the likes of Casio provide the same function and are more watertight. 3) The bezel has a sharp edge around the outer circumference which protrudes out and very quickly leads to the paint becoming warn away exposing the white plastic beneath. 4) The strap got snagged on a hook and even though I didn't pull away very hard the strap (or more likely the small bar that connects to the body) has stretched or bent leaving a 2-3mm gap between the body and the strap edge which is merely cosmetic but shows how weak the design is.

So a good looking (when new) watch with all the bells and whistles but ultimately too fragile to do the job it's meant to do. I'm looking to try the Casio Pro-Trek or similar as a replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars The watch to have!!!, 25 April 2012
I've had this watch a couple of weeks now having spent about 6 weeks looking at different types of ABC watches before I decided to buy this one.

I'm in the forces and noticed alot of the suunto's being used by my friends and colleagues, It looks slick, It looks well made and feels as if its ment to be apart of your wrist, for the size of it you hardly know its there and it doesn't feel as bulky as it looks when advertised in pictures.

I do alot of mountain biking, running, hill walking, skiing etc etc, although having not tried it too the full alot of my friends have with their own and say its accurate and takes alot if you end up in a scrape or two.

The functions are easy to use and its easy to navigate around the watch if you need to edit things like time, height and change where you are in the world etc

It comes with a 2 year guarentee from suunto which is good and it takes 5 minutes to register it online.

Ive read alot of reviews about how the battery only lasts a few months, its like anything that uses batteries the more use it and its features the more battery you use and the quicker it goes down, with this watch as long as you dont have the storm alarm on all the time when your not doing anything and you keep the watch in the locked position your battery will last a good while.

Also another gripe Ive read is how people struggle to see the screen with or without the backlight on, I dont have any problems with this, the backlight illuminates up nicely and the screen in daylight is crisp and clear so if thats put you off about purchasing this then dont be.

The only thing I dont like is the user manual is very limited with the information it gives you about the different types of functions if you wanted to really go in depth about things like barrometer readings and all that, what I did was look at a few youtube videos and within 10 minutes of looking your pretty much squared in what you need to know.

There's alot more functions that can be used on this watch than what Ive mentioned, if your like me and have compared all the watches out there you'll know what each one does and doesn't do, In my opinion this looks better than the rivals out there, it feels better and you cant go wrong with a solid make like suunto.

For the job and activities I do this is the watch for the job and would recommend anybody to get this watch as they wont be dissappointed!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on - a stylish, functional watch, 21 Aug 2008
A. J. Sudworth "tonysudworth" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The style of this watch is very good , very clean lines and large display making it easily readable. It does take a little bit of getting used to in that there are four main buttons and they are all multi function but its largely intuative (the quick start guide is a good bit of documentation and worth a look
Comes with three primary displays all of which are multi function
The clock which can be 12/24hr and also has multiple displays for date/time, dual time, seconds , sunrise/sunset , count down timer and stop watch - all accessible from the main display using View button to scroll through
The second display is the altimeter/pressure gauge where you can have displays on the current pressure , the current height and even a limited depth gauge for snorkling (but this is NOT for scuba diving as its only rated to 30metres ) You choose the display you want within the altimeter / barometer profile , set the reference and away you go. There is a very neat feature called a Storm Alarm when larger movemenst in pressure can signal bad weather - useful and usually accurate
The last part is the compass - pretty self explanatory - its cuts off after about 45 seconds to conserve battery
Its a huge improvement over the Advisor model and well worth the money for an outdoor activities watch that looks good as well

5.0 out of 5 stars Suunto Core - All Black, 23 Aug 2010
Mr. D. G. DRENNAN (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this watch based on both recommendations from colleagues and from the research I conducted across the Suunto range. I have been extremely impressed with the watch since its arrival. The appearance is, in my opinion, very smart and 'stealthy' and although it is a large face I do not find it overbearing because the strap keeps it in proportion and the face does not protrude too far away from the wrist. The watch is also lighter than you would expect which helps make it comfortable day to day and during exercise. I found the instructions fairly easy to comprehend although some of the 'case studies' when you might use a particular feature are a bit ridiculous - seems they let a frustrated Creative Writing graduate go a bit crazy! However, the watch is pretty intuitive once you have spent 15 minutes fiddling with it and entered your required settings and calibrated the compass and altimeter.
I am a helicopter pilot and find the altimeter to be surprisingly accurate across the whole spectrum I have used it (surface to 10000'). The compass does not appear to have the same level of accuracy but I will give it the benefit of doubt because Suunto do say that it will suffer from magnetic interference around electrical/metal objects. I suspect that the compass works far more accurately in the scenario for which it is intended - hiking.
I have read a few reviews where people have said that the digits are sometimes difficult to read given the grey-on-black digital face. I will agree so far as the digits do not jump right out at you but I would say that it is perfectly usable in all light levels and I prefer the 'stealthy' look that the grey-on-black affords.

Overall, I would recommend this watch to anyone who is considering purchasing it. You will not be let down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Militery user, 9 May 2014
Well Iv had this a few months now, Used it both in the Uk and Falklands, Firstly the bad points, I'v scratached the screen and the bezil is truning silver as the paint is scracthed off be conistant use. The good points, super comfy the strap is stong and lasting fine with wear and tear, im not a big bloke and I dont notice the watch it is great to wear, screens easy to read and is fab out on the ground. The compass isnt bad but I would stick to using a silva compass or gps but a hand fall back, The alti is fine just insure you calibrate it from time to time, The baromiter is spot on, I could predict bad weather coming in, time legs and work out roughly when I should be aiming for cover and getting the waterproof kit on.

All in all not a bad watch, Id still expect alittle more for the money, esp with the paint coming off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, 16 Jan 2011
It's a great product. It is light and easy to wear, both discrete and comfortable. The Storm Alarm is fantastic, 10 mins after it sounds here rain is guaranteed, very useful when you work outside like me. The barometer on it's own is well worth the price. It is extremely accurate, and the combination of compass, barometer and watch make it the perfect outdoor companion. The controls are very intuitive and the back-light is excellent.

An A1 Watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 24 April 2010
Mr. K. Gray - See all my reviews
a very good watch, i got this as a deployment watch to use in afghanistan and has lived up 2 its reputation and name. a very easy menu and easy 2 navigate your way around it. i would recommend this product to any 1 !!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Could be promising but marred by poor design choices, 21 July 2010
A promising watch that's marred by poor design choices:

- It eats batteries - they last at most a few months, not the year(s) of usual digital watches.

- The temperature function is a pointless - the sensor is on the back of the watch, so it measures your wrist temperature (fairly constant for us warm blooded mammals). You're supposed to take the watch off for 30 mins to get an accurate reading, but in the sort of places you care about temperature you might find it difficult to remove the watch.

- The pressure graph is just odd. I can't work out what the graph shows - it's certainly not absolute pressure, so perhaps it shows change of pressure (but even so, I can't match it up with pressure readings), but the graph has no scale anywhere and tends to rebalance itself. The instruction manual is silent on this too, so perhaps the authors at Suunto don't know either.

- There are some odd display limitations, e.g. you can't have temperature and time on the same screen.

- The backlight makes the time even harder to read. A hopeless backlight.

- The time display can show 'ticking seconds' around the edge. Quite nice, but the seconds display only remains for five minutes - not continuous. No idea why.

- The buttons feel a bit cheap, although, in fairness they always activate.

- The alarm is *very* quiet. Omega, Sekonda and others have proved that digital watch can have loud alarms.

- The storm alarm goes off at hilarious times - e.g. in bright sunlight in Morocco!

It feels like Suunto rushed this one to market; I'd tend to avoid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Suunto core, 21 Oct 2013
Looks great, unfortunately poor battery life, poor quality, poor interface, just poor overall. Dont know what all the hype is about. Very disapointing.

Suunto Core Regular black