on 30 March 2012
The Max Mini Bike Pump is actually a white label product, also known as the Airwave Surge amongst others. They seem to generally sell for about Amazon prices, but it's an extra chance to shop around and read a greater variety of reviews if nothing else.

What a marvellous little product this is, how often do you buy something for a budget price without any indication you've done so? It works perfectly, feels tough, looks good, and is almost comically small and lightweight. Pumping is obviously no thirty-second job, but it seems to make surprisingly efficient work of the task and is easy to use even if the wheel is still on the bike, unlike some. I don't have a PSI gauge, the exception of which may be an issue to some, but on a mountain bike I had no issue using it to get the tyres as solid as I'm happy with. While it may be labelled, and sold, as a mini bike pump, it's absolutely worthy as an all-rounder and those who don't place themselves in the upper end of cycling may find this services all your needs just fine.

(The instructions could have been dashed out on the back of a napkin by someone who'd never seen the pump before, but if you're reading this then it's not a problem. I've added a photo to clarify the information given, which concerns how to switch to a Presta valve pump.)

UPDATE 7TH APRIL 2015:

The last part of my comment now makes no sense, as the instructions using Amazon's "hover boxes" that I made have disappeared from the gallery and been replaced with a professional version by the manufacturers. Glad they were on the ball, but silently blitzing my effort from the record and making me look silly is annoying. I've now removed my version is from this comment too.

I don't have anything to add in terms of reliability as I have rarely used it, however I did require a pump for a basketball and while most pumps allow an adaptor, this one does not. Spending double and cluttering with another pump was not productive. Otherwise, if it fits your needs, nothing has made me change my rating.
11 comment|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 October 2012
I bought this mini pump for taking with me on journeys so I was not expecting the same sort of efficiency as my larger (and more expensive) pump. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it does a good job although it does require a fair amount of pumping to get a high pressure. On the negative, although the "dust stopper" or "lug" fits neatly into the hole for the schrader valve it does not fit the hole for the presta valve which my bike has. It is not a major problem for me because I prefer to put the pump in my rucksack along with my other bike accessories. However, if you have presta valves and are intending to use the clip and have the pump fastened to the bike frame there could be a problem with the hole getting clogged up with dirt etc. Alternatively, you could just switch the valve back to the schrader valve.
on 30 December 2013
I'm no cyclist, just a mum who bought a bike for my 3 year old this Christmas then realised I needed a pump to inflate the tires.

This pump is tiny, worked without me doing anything to it on a Disney kids bike and looks set to last forever.

I don't understand the stuff on here about Presta (Road Bike) & Schrader (Mountain Bike) and honestly haven't got a clue which is the standard tire on a kids bike so hopefully someone will find the info useful.

Came with stuff I think could be used to attach it to a bike frame.

Delivery was quick, first bike was a success thanks to air in tires :-)
on 2 January 2016
I have used it on several occasions and had it for 2 years now and it works perfectly fine. It is very light weight but inflates my tyre ok. I guess it is good for adding air to your tyre to make it rock hard again but if your interior is completely deflated then it will take you forever to fill. So if y hv a puncture and need a new or to patch your interior then you might want to get a bigger pump or go to a shop/garage with one. I am sure, this is capable of doing it too but it may take you time and patience. Hope that helps.
on 11 April 2011
If it wasn't expected, I wouldn't have believed the package contained a pump. Instructions rather misleading - initially lost all pressure and had to dash to Halfords for surly young man to take it to pieces and tell me how it worked. You have to unscrew the grey connector cover, switch around the inner piece, put it to the loosened presta valve and flick up the tab to seal onto the valve. Does that make sense?? Once attached, it worked very well. So five stars for quality and one less for rubbish instructions. Maybe a pressure gauge would have added the icing but still worked well. I'm pleased with my purchase.
44 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 August 2015
Compatible with a presta valve! I don't think so. No use for a road bike. I discovered this to my cost the first time I had to use it in anger. Lucky I was near a station.
on 1 September 2012
A quality item and works very well. The instructions for the different valve (Schrader & Presta) fittings could be clearer but other than that its a great little pump. One reviewer said that it doesn't do Presta valves, but when the fittings are assembled correctly I can assure you that it does. The black section of the valve attachment is in 2 parts, both of which need to be turned around within the removable grey boss to allow use on Presta valves. The drawing included does not really show this very well. It would have got 5 stars had it included good instructions. Great pump .. rubbish instructions. It fits very well on the spare drink bottle bracket of my road bike, or with the longer bolts included will fit as well as a drink bottle of only one fixing is provided on the bike frame. Good pump .. good value. Recommended.
on 28 August 2009
I bought a whole load of kit from Maxgear - took a chance because I don't know an awful lot about them - but I have been blown away by the quality and price of everything they do. This pump is no exception - works really well up to 120psi - and fits neatly in the seat pack that I also bought. It is tiny and I can't believe it actually works!! Nice.

MAX Slick Bike Seat Pack
on 21 November 2009
excellnt quality pump and very compact ,only thing which i dont like is the bracket which makes the pump stick out the side.
on 25 May 2011
This pump is absoutely tiny, it fits snugly onto my bike frame, and allows for a drinks cage to be fitted on top. Inflates my tyres to around 100 PSI surprising quickly, maybe could get to 110 with some persevearance, but more than enough to get you back home after a puncture. The valve on it works great, no air leaks while Im pumping and really easy to operate once you know how, Well worth the money and would deffinately reccomend it to anyone who owns a road bike.