4.0 out of 5 stars Great job.
I have this NAS nearly 2 years now. Still working fine. Even survived a drop from the window sill recently. Cover came apart, but snapped back in to place, and it kept on working. It's small and neat, about same size as a 3.5" external H'drive.

It does work with Win7. The set-up is easy and flawless with all the systems I installed on (XP, Win7, PS3)...
Published on 10 Oct. 2010 by Ewok

1.0 out of 5 stars Good product, let down by reliability
Regretfully I have to give this one star. Not because it's a bad product, but because I've had three of these and all three have suffered from the same reliability problem.

I'll give the positive review for people who want to buy this and hopefully will get a reliable machine.

Very easy install and 1st setup, just plug it in to your home network...
Published on 9 Jan. 2011 by moonster_34

1.0 out of 5 stars Good product, let down by reliability, 9 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Buffalo LinkStation Live 2.0Tb DLNA Certified MultiMedia Network Storage with BitTorrent (Personal Computers)

Very easy install and 1st setup, just plug it in to your home network (connected mine direct to a D-link ADSL router) then load the software onto any machine accessing the linkstation. The software will 'find' the linkstation and pop a shortcut on your desktop to get to it. It then just acts like an attached drive and you drag and drop stuff to/from it. Very easy. On the 1st PC to use it, there is some set up for the linkstation, all subsequent machines will state there's an already active Linkstation and just load the browser software on your PC.

To carry out more involved stuff you'll need to log in to the linkstations Web front end, which is easy from the loaded management software. The web access does seem a bit slow to update pages, so be patient. You have the option to set things like user accounts, new folders, remote web access, bit torrent downloads. I managed to set up remote web access, once I'd set my router to allow plug and play access, but the Buffalo help pages talk you through it. I also was able to easily set up bit torrent downloads and the interface is very clear and easy to use. I did try to set up a new user account and set folder access privilages, but just ended up locking out the folders from general access, but I didn't spend enough time on it to get it right.

I managed to stream video from my Linkstation to a Samsung UE37C6540 LED TV, plus all my laptops, plus connect a USB drive to it and upload files successfully.

So all in all a very capable bit of kit, with very usefull features, with a straight forward user interface ..... however -

My 1st linkstation worked for about a week of light use (copied over some photos, films etc, used it for bit of torrent download) but then it showed up in the management portal as EM, which I later learnt was 'Emergency mode'. I could not access the files or use the web portal. The management portal error message suggested reloading firmware, which I didn't want to risk. So I returned it to Amazon for a replacement, which they did very rapidly (all credit to Amazon and a very straight forward returns process)

My 2nd linkstation again worked for about a week of light use (again I tried a few films, photos, even setup the linkstation on the web and accessed it from work) but once again it ended up going into EM mode. This time I decided to try upgrading the firmware and after googling some Linkstation forums for the EM issue I found a link to Buffalo's webpage for the upgrade software. I downloaded this and kicked off an upgrade. The software found my linkstation, upgraded the firmware and it popped back into life, so a very easy and straight forward process for some one comfortable with downloading and installing software and being a bit techy. But a day or so later it went back into EM mode. Another firmware upgrade later and working again. However, the linkstation kept dropping into EM mode and I got fed up reloading the firmware every few days. So back in for a replacement.

I went for a 3rd Linkstation, because I thought 3rd time lucky and it is a good product if only it would stay working. Unfortunately again after about a week of working it dropped into EM mode, this time stating it couldn't find a partition. The firmware update method would not work at all, so I went for a refund as I'd had enough. Which is a shame as this is a very easy to use product, with loads of features, but I just can't get a reliable one.

I was given an AC Ryan PlayOn HD box, which has similar functionality and whilst this has none of the reliability issues I've had with the Linkstation, its web interface is nowhere like as slick and easy to use as the Linkstation.

So in conclusion I'd day the Linkstation is a great NAS drive, easy to setup and use, with loads of cool features, but I just can't believe something that's supposed to be used as a backup device can have as many reliability issues as mine did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great job., 10 Oct. 2010

Although you have to go in to the Buffalo interweb software, and "enable" media server for the PS3 to work. The PS3 doesn't pick it up otherwise. The Webserver is very slow to read and update from page to page, and it could be laid out better. But it's still handy.

It says in the manual, Printer-server feature won't work woth 3-1 Printers, but it found my Canon 3-1 Printer and works fine. The "auto power" funtion does work well. The NAS goes in to sleep mode when no PC's are detected on the router. When you power on your laptop/PC, the NAS powers up automatically. It can't auto-detect your PS3 though, so you have to physically turn on the NAS for the PS3 to pick up the media server, or turn on a laptop.

I stream movies wirelessly (54mb/sec) from the NAS to my netbook, with no problems at all. Doesn't pause or freeze once. If hard wiring, it's perfect for streaming full HD movies. No buffering or pausing seen. Transfer speeds via PC aren't too fast. Transfered 400gig of movies overnight with no problems though.
Don't use the flat cable in the box. It's meant to be used just to download the software, nothing more. Invest in a Cat5e patch cable for regular use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Linkstation, 28 Oct. 2010
Good product. Does exactly what I want. I store movies and tv shows on it, and access them from either my laptop or my xbox. No longer is it necessary to carry a hard drive around with the laptop. And, it is possible to attach a hard drive to the linkstation, increasing the memory even further!

EDIT: I'm not sure if it's my Xbox or the Linkstation, but it doesn't seem to send .mp4 files to the xbox. Which is annoying. I can convert them to .avi and all is well, but it's a bit of a bother.

2nd EDIT: I think it's to do with the size, but my latest 3 TB hard drive doesn't show up when connected to the LinkStation. I think 2TB is the limit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I could have ever imagined, 21 Sept. 2010
I now consider myself to be somewhat of an expert when it comes to Nas devices. WHY? We live in a large house with networked TV's and Blu-ray players in most rooms, aswell as a PS3, Xbox 360, a Desktop PC and two laptops. I also have a business a mile up the road. So my requirements we're pretty demanding. I wanted to be able to strea, my media including HD to every device, I wanted to be able to share all data, pictures, Documents, media with all PC's but restrict my Kids PC from seeing some of the files and also restrict my Kids and Wifes laptops from being able to delete. I wanted to be able to See the contents of the NAS at my Work PC over the internet. I wanted Bittorrent functions. etc etc....

I tried 6 Different NAS devices, the LG Nas with built in DVD drive, the Netgear Stora, The D Link DNS 323, Two different Synologys and Finally a QNAP TS210... All but the later had problems, either no DLNA or UPNP, or kept dropping signal, or too comlicated or too noisy etc etc ... I finally ended up with the QNAP which blew me away, everything worked as it should and I still use it now.... The inbuilt Twonky media Server is amazing and it's FAST

So why a review for the Buffalo?

My Dad and My father in law were both amazed by my set up and wanted something similar but without the hefty price tag (my NAS cost me £170 for the box and £180 for two 2TB drives, total £350), they also didn't need 4TB.... So off I went looking... I was about to buy the single bay Qnap when I saw this on amazon for ONLY £139 (rather ridiculous RRP of £349 though). So I bought one to try thinking it was a long shot that it would do the trick.....

WOW... It's only better than the QNAP... All the functions are the same as the QNAP, it all works as it should, it's quiet... But the reason it's better is it's so goddam simple, the software is extremely easy to set up. In only 10 Minutes, I had it installed, mapped, DLNA enabled so every TV etc in the house was streaming from it, I had FTP set up, password protected internet access set up, folder restrictions and user accounts set up, power saving modes set to my liking etc... The lot done in ten minutes. I only had to look at the manual once to find out the default user name and password of the web utility (it's just 'admin' and 'password'.

The only slight negative against the Qnap is there isn't a software Bittorent client, the has software that connects to the server so you can pause, add torrents etc in the program just like uttorent or bitcomit and that updates the nas, but with this you have to log into the web admin and then go to the web based bittorent page and upload torrents etc. Which is fine but the qnap is deffinately preffered for this function. But hey atleast it has a bittorent client and one that works too....

Everything set up first time too, no errors or problems....

I didn't like the Cat 5 flat Ethernet cable it came with but I have plenty of cat 5e and cat 6 cables so not a problem, but worth baring in mind to buy a cable to go with it (only a couple of quid).

If it was £349 I'd feel ripped off but at £139 I feel like i've ripped buffalo off, it's only £20 more than a USB 2tb Drive...

What a bargain..... Don't hesitate to buy.....

5.0 out of 5 stars made up i got this great device!!, 22 Aug. 2011
I am writing this review on a recent product I just purchased which is the Buffalo Nas 2.0TB hard drive with comes with the following

1 Cd containing all the software (NOVA Backup and Navigator)
1 cable, Power supply

Overall there have been a lot of people who purchased before me saying they have had problems with the drive they purchased such as drive locking into emergency mode. Or ITunes not working or the software faulty or quite clunky, after having this drive for over now a week I have had some problems with the drive but nothing as in what others have had here said,
This is my findings to take into consideration when/If you are thinking of purchasing this drive

Remember on the topic of back up's do not leave all your data in one whole place you need to be flexible and this drive does have some good features, I have mine backup by amazon free cloud (5GB free with every ones amazon account) to other drives in windows media home server and the NAS drive itself to also a SSD drive attached to the NAS Drive, Remember if this just for backing up then you should be fine but always be prepared.
The software called NOVA BACKUP is a great tool, It allows you to connect to the drive and back up all your data, So far I have backed up 100Gig over the week of music between two pc's without any problems,
I would advise also when you have purchased to update the firmware (The current Firmware is 1.52 at the time of writing this) a follow all the instructions on installations before the firmware update do not turn or power off the drive as this would wipe the drive or cause issues later on just follow the instructions and make sure your port router is set to port forward. If you are no Good with IP configuration keep it set as DHCP (Meaning your service provider for example virgin media or BT will update your IP address)

In a nutshell It is worth the price I am going to explain what you can do with here

ITUNES server
The NAS come straight out of the box and the only downside is that you have to use the software *NASNAVIGATOR* to login online to see the shared folders or if your local to the NAS you can after installation click browse shares and see the folders,
But ITunes Recognizes the drive right away under the home sharing icon (Mine is known as the name buffalo link) The only problem I have encountered is that I cannot access multiple file folders (for example if I had folders called music and additional folders say rock hip hop this is a minor issue as my windows Home server found all the files and folder with no problems which is a HP media server so I think this is a ITunes Issue and not the drive to overcome this I just copy the same music into one folder) But as soon as I had it set up form the software I was away streaming music to my logic squeezebox player in the kitchen to my windows media server in the bedroom,
One issue I had was with port forwarding the NAS drive with my D-LINK router but again this is a minor issue if you know how to do it.

The last issue I had encountered with the drive is with the firmware but this was resolved by resetting the NAS drive to factory settings ever since then it has worked perfectly. But the update now lets me update my Flicker Account with pictures from the account which then I could choose to post to Facebook if I wanted too. However I have not set this up to try yet.
BITORRENT
This come built in quite easy to use on the drive and is a good feature however I would recommend using Cat6 Cables for your router and NAS drive and not Standard Ethernet Cables (RJ45) You won't notice the difference anyway but I did on my 50MB broadband on virgin.
Also one issue I did see when you have downloaded your media the BITTORRENT tries to seed the files and up a lot of bandwidth on your connection so it's best to check if you have the files move them over to your new file (Share/Music for example) and delete the torrent files. But overall my NAS works quite well and there no need now for me to leave the computers on just set them up the files to download log off go to work and come back and watch or listen to whatever I got earlier downloaded which is what I have been dreaming now for a long time to do since the old days of dial up and internet downloading,

TIME MACHINE
I have also 2 Mac Books computers and a Mac Mini that I never use much but The MacBooks I use in Bootcamp One with Windows Vista Home Premuim Operating system and snow Lep OSx, If you choose to use this in Bootcamp be prepared to set it up twice per O/s the PDF installation Guide is useless I believe as in Mac OSX it states about writing permissions in Time Machine which I never did just set up the disk after installation and everything worked very well. Overall OT works how I want it too and I am happy with the setup.

Android and IPhone
This was a simple task and some people said it does not work with these types of phones which is untrue as I own a Samsung Galaxy S mobile phone which is Android and the IPhone 4, You just need to download the app called webaccessA form the store on the IPhone or google it and set it up once set up you can then send items back and fourth to the phones so far I have sent around a gig of music and had no issues.

Great Item Well worth the money?

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow slow slooooowwwwww, 16 Mar. 2011
This was my first NAS and I didn't want to spend too much money but I wanted a decent balance of price/performance.
Product info is sketchy at best and choosing between this and the more expensive pro version which has almost exactly the same product spec seemed to be a no-brainer.
2 TB of storage with built in bittorrent client for this price sounded like a dream but in reality it's unusably slow and I wish I hadn't bothered.

Uploading around 250 GB took all night and when completed only around 75% of the data transferred passed verification.
It was a trial copying another 50+ GB at 10Mb/s while trying to configure the bittorrent client for the data that did copy over OK.
The web interface just times out if the device is in use and it dropped off the network a couple of times which was frustrating.

It's only saving grace is that it is quiet and it does work sort of (not accounting for it failing after 2 days which Amazon very effectively sorted out).
If you are using it for small files over short periods then it's fine but who buys a 2 TB drive for that?

After doing some digging and research the Buffalo LinkStation Pro LS-V1.0TL has a much better spec processor (400Mhz to 1.6Ghz), memory (128MB to 256MB) and network throughput is over 3 times greater. If you can spare the cash but still want a cheap multi-function NAS box definitely go pro!

1.0 out of 5 stars It's the worst possible NAS you can buy, 8 Jun. 2011
First of all it died after only 2 weeks of light use. No access to my files anymore. They are lost. According to the other reviews it's quite common problem with Buffalo Linkstations Live and Pro. That's why I sent it back, fortunately Amazon is great and I had no problems returning this piece of junk. I just lost my files. Now ask yourself, would you like someone to see your private files and pictures stored inside the faulty unit? I couldn't delete my files from the faulty unit I sent back, however someone may be able to retrieve these files, you never know...

Another anoying issue was (when the unit was so kind and it was up and running for the first 2 weeks) that the internal HDD and fan are running all the time. There is no option to spin down the hard drive. Well, you can put it into a sleep mode, but only from HH:MM - to HH:MM, that's not very convenient way. You can also put it in Auto mode, but it will sleep during media streaming to XBOX360 then. It would sense only PC, but media players. Pointless. I'd strongly recommend to stay away from Buffalo NASes, especially their customer service is as bad as their products.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor DLNA compatibility with Panasonic Viera TV, 6 Mar. 2011
I had recently bought a Panasonic Viera TX-L42D25B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview HD and Freesat HD, and wanted to take advantage of its ability to play videos stored on a DLNA media server. After reading a few glowing reviews, I finally bought the Buffalo LinkStation Live 2.0Tb DLNA Certified MultiMedia Network Storage with BitTorrent. Installation and setup was easy, although as mentioned in other reviews, transferring data to the box was a bit slow compared with a USB 2.0 hard drive, (this may be an issue if you want to use it as a backup drive).

Music (MP3 format), played flawlessly, and photos (JPEG), although a bit slow to access, could be viewed OK; however, video streaming was almost impossible. The video content was visible in the media browser, but attempting to play DIVX or XVID encoded AVI files resulted in "bad content" error messages. My unit came with firmware version 1.34, and updating to the latest firmware (1.37), didn't improve things.

After many hours of research, it appears this problem is caused by Buffalo using an old version of the "Twonky" media server software that is not compatible with the current generation of Panasonic TVs, (and possibly others). Unfortunately this shows that just because two pieces of kit are DLNA certified, it does not guarantee that they will work together!

I have found a solution to the problem, but it involved disabling the built-in media server, and installing the latest version of "Twonky" on the unit, (not recommended for the faint of heart, and probably invalidates the warranty).

I now have a very nice mediaserver that works flawlessly with my Panasonic Viera TV, but would advise anyone with a recent Panasonic TV to look elsewhere for a mediaserver solution.

5.0 out of 5 stars If Carlsberg made linkstations, 11 April 2011
Very easy to set up and virtually works straight out of the box.
Put the CD in a PC link it to the linkstation with the software and of you go.
Put your printers USB cable in to the USB port on the station and everyone can print to it.
I have not used the bit torrent software yet.

Overall excellent product, excellent documentation very easy to set up
Make this the centre of your home IT hub

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy., 10 Nov. 2011
I thought that the Linkstation would be a great way to move all of my media into a centralized repository - and with DLNA would be brilliant to allow me to stream to Computer, Xbox, ipad, phone etc all around the house.

Started off working well. However, the Nas Navigator software provided is clunky and slow, and the write speed (although fairly sure this will be the same for most NAS drives) was incredibly slow - usually under 5 meg a sec. It also dropped off the network fairly frequently, meaning that large transfers would often fail. After eventually moving most of my media across though it seemed to be working ok.

The big problem came about six months after purchase when I tried to upgrade the firmware - which the NAS navigator software was telling me to do. 24 hours later and it still seemed to be trying to download the firmware. After another couple of days of trying a few things I eventually managed to get through to tech support, who told me it was faulty and I'd need to replace it.

Fantastic. Many thanks buffalo for destroying a carefully cultivated media library.

Would strongly recommend finding another brand for your network storage.