5.0 out of 5 stars Mantona scout tripod with ballhead
I have worked in the photographic trade for twenty two years, this tripod is absolutely fantastic, this tripod is so well made like others that can cost two or three times the price. totally recommend.
Published on 6 Nov 2011 by Paul

3.0 out of 5 stars ...Meh
Truth is...its too light for me, too low. it is a do at a pinch tripods, I am however eying their carbon fibre pod which looks very capable.
Published 29 days ago by Bernvoice

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Mantona scout tripod with ballhead, 6 Nov 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb piece of kit, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Mantona Scout Tripod with Ballhead (Accessory)
I bought this with trepidation having some experience of flimsy tripods. I have a Nikon D7100 and did not want to balance my beloved camera on a wobbly tripod so I worked on the basis that the camera needs a tripod at least close to it's own build. Having said that I am an amateur hobby photographer so I dont need the best and did not want to spend hundreds on a tripod if avoidable. A couple of the reviews I read here (particularly the one from the pro photographer) gave me the willpower to go ahead with this order and wow - I am delighted with my buy. Absolute gem of a tripod. Sturdy and oozes decent quality (not fantastic quality but decent). Anyone seeing or touching it will think you spent more than the price on this. It has excellent sturdy legs and comfortable clips that allow you to open and close without losing a finger nail. The legs are tubular and not the cheapie hollow type that you get for 10 and this makes them even more sturdy. It also has a level which is great for telling you if you are set up on flat ground. However that is a bit useless without an indicator on the head to tell you when the camera is level set too. However that is a minor grips as I tend to shoot in RAW and can easily level off my photos with my Nikon software that came with my camera.

The on off ballhead mechanism which some people claim to have found complicated is actually a breeze to learn. The tripod comes with no manual which is a bit of a surprise given that not everyone might now how to use the ballhead mechanism however nothwithstanding this it took me all of a minute to work it out. Basically release the brass lock by pulling it toward yourself and then pull the black plastic lever above it to release the camera foot. Once released you can screw the foot into the base of your camera and you are good to go, with or without tripod as you need.

Another thing that the seller fails to tell you is that the main tripod column is reversible. This means that you can hang your camera upside down to take micro and macro photos if that is your scene etc. The swivel ballhead also allows for the camera to be flipped over a full 90 degrees which is handy. Like any tripod or new piece of kit you need to spend time with it to get to know it before you take it out for an important shoot. I am still getting to know my camera as well having upgraded from an entry level D40 beforehand.

Finally an important consideration that made me buy this was the weight of the tripod. I considered the option of lugging this around, even if only in luggage from country to country and I was wary of buying a 3, 4 or 5 kilo tripod. This little think is a perfect weight providing just enough stability and security without breaking your shoulder on a walk. The tidy bag supplied makes it all the easier to carry too.

When buying a tripod ask yourself one key question - am I happy to balance 2k worth of camera and lens on that tripod and walk away to take a photo? That is really why you do need to choose carefully and dont assume that everything is the same as they are not. This tripod is probably the ideal entry level tripod for amateur photographers or as an additional extra for a pro...

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality, simply amazed by it's performance..., 7 Aug 2013
This review is from: Mantona Scout Tripod with Ballhead (Accessory)
I am a professional photographer, almost invariably seen lugging around my favourite Manfrotto 190 series with large 3 way head. But despite it's obvious robustness it isn't what one would call 'portable'. I bought this Mantona Scout with some trepidation. After all what can you really get for under sixty quid complete with a ball head AND quick release plate? How wrong could I be. Not only is the build quality very much akin to my Manfrotto, with turn-over leg locks and top adjustment being almost identical in every detail but the QR plate mounted atop the excellent quality ball head is a dead ringer for all the other QR plates in my various camera bags... Someone else made comment about difficulty disengaging the QR plate. I had no such difficulty - it behaves exactly like the Monfrotto..

Top marks Mantona for a great product, very well made, packaged and at such an amazing price. Next stop, Jardin de Monet. I have every confidence this will perform well with my Nikon D3x and 70-200mm F:2.8 (among others).

Oh, and surprise, surprise it came with an excellent black, zip up carry bag with shoulder strap. Nice one!

So, with such praise what could be wrong - surely there must be something? Yes, Amazon's packaging has once again let the product down. I couldn't believe the size of the box that arrived by Hermes courier today. Two crumpled up pieces of brown paper and an otherwise empty space which could easily have held 5 more Mantona tripods boxed.. Come on Amazon, I thought you had improved but clearly not so, this packing is a disgrace...

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Tripod, 31 May 2013
This review is from: Mantona Scout Tripod with Ballhead (Accessory)
I was looking for a solid tripod for my Nikon D7000. The Mantona Scout is a very solid and sturdy tripod, it can hold steady a D7000 with a Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 or Nikkor 70-300 VR or 105mm Micro attached it. I think it may be a little heavy to carry around for a long time. It also comes in a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mantona Scout tripod, 14 April 2013
This review is from: Mantona Scout Tripod with Ballhead (Accessory)
I bought this from Amazon Germany, where there are many good reviews for it. It was on offer and cost just 47 euros which turned out to be an absolute bargain. I've been looking for a light and sturdy tripod for my Nikon D7000 but didn't want to pay too much as it's something I would only occasionally use but am very aware of the low quality of cheap tripods, having owned a few in the past. The weakest part on a cheap tripod is the head, very often made of plastic and likely to move as you press the shutter, defeating the object of a tripod. The Mantona Scout is extremely good value for money, there are very few plastic parts on it and it is mostly made from aluminium - it weighs just over 1kg. The ball joint and top plate contain no plastic and are very solid. Camera position can be very quickly moved and reset with just one lever. It just about reaches its limit with the front-heavy 300mm zoom attached but, with a bit of care, this doesn't pose any real problems. The only possible improvement perhaps would be to add a hook to the base of the centre pole allow a camera bag to hang to add rigidity. All in all, this is a very well made piece of equipment and I can most definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Solid Tri Pod, 22 Feb 2012
This review is from: Mantona Scout Tripod with Ballhead (Accessory)
Used it a few times and its a n ice substantial tripod. Still learning the ropes of photography at the moment but its doing great for me as a novice. Everything feels very solid with nice clips and buttons, and its adjust-ability makes it very versatile to use. The quick release head is a little fidly but onece you get used to it then its straight forward to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant at half the price of other brands, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: Mantona Scout Tripod with Ballhead (Accessory)
Has done everything I've asked of it. Relatively sturdy but lot. Highly adaptable and good quality. The head could be improved but is interchangeable with other brands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Value Tripod. Really Sturdy., 7 Jun 2013
This review is from: Mantona Scout Tripod with Ballhead (Accessory)
After working out the quick release mechanism (its NOT EASY!) - I found using this tripod really straightforward. Very good value tripod, well made and sturdy, but not in a way that would make you reluctant to use it or carry around. Ball and socket surprisingly solid and manly with absolutley no play, and really versatile leg clips for full dexterity, almost to ground level. Really pleased I bought this, its great value and I can see it giving me years of use. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits the bill, reasonably priced., 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Mantona Scout Tripod with Ballhead (Accessory)
I had read reviews of this tripod. It is exactly what I was looking for. It appears to be robust. Once I worked out how to adjust the ballhead, it is absolutely fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great piece of kit., 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: Mantona Scout Tripod with Ballhead (Accessory)
I got this tripod because of all the other reviews and I'm glad I did. It's well built and very sturdy, even fully extended. I tried some long exposures with it and as long as you extend the legs and not the middle pole it does the job just fine. In strong winds even with my strap on the camera there was no shake in the end pictures. It even stood up to the challenge of my Canon 5D3 with a 300mm f2.8 L lens on it.

There is another setting for the legs which isn't in the description. You can have them set out flat and upright like in the pictures, but there is also a middle setting which gives it a nice wide stance and very stable. In this setting the tripod is the same height as the middle pole if you don't extend the legs, I find it more stable than laying the legs flat and extending the pole. Also it would have been nice to get a shorter pole with the tripod for super low down shots. If you want super low down shots the only way is to flip your pole upside down and rotate the pictures in post processing.

The only downside I found is the weight. It's not a light tripod but for the price you can't complain. If you are concerned about weight then buy a carbon fibre one. Also there was no hook on the pole to hang weights from, this didn't bother me too much because it wasn't in the description. I made my own DIY one out of a wine bottle cork and a hook from my local DIY shop, just put the cork in the bottom of the pole and screw the hook in...sorted!

There is no panning function with the ball head like said in other reviews. The only way you can do panning is if you loosen off the middle pole and that will allow you to pan the camera, Or just loosen off the ball head and hope you have steady hands.

Everything else about the tripod is great. The clamps are reliable and the QR plate for the camera is nice and secure once fitted.

All in all I'd highly recommend it. It's up there with a lot of higher priced tripods and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›