5.0 out of 5 stars They Call Up the Groups
What new can be said of the Barron Knights...since the 60's their brand of musical comedy has never been surpassed...I can think of The Black Abbotts and The Grumbleweeds...and yet as funny and musical they have been over the years they never came to within an inch or to be PC: a millimetre of the Barron Knights.
The parody of the Artistes and their songs are so...
Published on 22 Sept. 2009 by Martin Swift

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly the best but not quite
It would have been the "Best of" if
1) It wasn't a live album. Presumably they re-recorded all the songs for legal reasons as I don't remember a laughter track originally.
2) It doesn't have their version of the "Theme to M.A.S.H." on it. Not bad though.
Published on 11 July 2008 by ThirdPrize

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars They Call Up the Groups, 22 Sept. 2009
Martin Swift (Scotland. U. K.) - See all my reviews
The parody of the Artistes and their songs are so good...indeed Ian Drury once stated that if the Barron Knights hadn't parodied you...then you hadn't arrived in the music business.
But I think the best compliment towards them came from the Beatles and mainly John Lennon and Paul McCartney...when on hearing that the Barron Knights could not obtain permission from their publishing company to re-word their songs, they wrote a letter stating that the only people allowed to re-word their songs were the Barron Knights...and so the journey began.
Over almost five decades they have continued to bring out parody work from various artistes in Pop; Rock; Punk; Bands and Solo Artistes as well from these shores to around the world to Sandy Shaw...
It really doesn't matter if you never heard the original songs as these versions will raise a smile and prompt a chuckle...

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a fan!, 11 Feb. 2010
L. Rudd "lesep" (Berks, UK) - See all my reviews
I have loved the Barron Knights since the mid-70's, and my children grew up chortling over 'Spaghetti Betty', 'The Sit Song', 'Heaving on a Jet Plane' and many others so this is a real gem for us all. I can't think that anyone under 45 years would have a clue what this is all about if not knowing it as children, but the BK are so SO clever and such good musicians - thanks for the fun and the laughter. I have seen the BK live several times and they are the unsung heroes of UK music.

5.0 out of 5 stars memories from my youth . . ., 25 July 2014
A. Hardwicke "Alan H" (Porthcawl, South Wales, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I looked for this as I started remembering odd lines from a song from my distant youth - something about the chapel lead being missing. I eventually remembered it was by the Barron Knights.
This is a great album for anyone of a "certain age" who remembers not just the parody songs but the original songs. I listened again to "The Chapel Lead Is Missing" with great fondness and laughing out loud - especially the bit when Jimmy Brown escapes from custody.
The other songs brought back many fond memories - parodies of Rivers of Babylon, Angelo, Matchstick Men, You Make Me Feel Like Dancing and many many others.
Buy this if you like good natured humour and fancy a chuckle.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly the best but not quite, 11 July 2008
It would have been the "Best of" if

4.0 out of 5 stars A VERY GOOD CD - I HAD A CHUCKLE TO A LOT ..., 16 Jan. 2015
A VERY GOOD CD - I HAD A CHUCKLE TO A LOT OF THE SONGS WHICH I DON'T REMEMBER HEARING BEFORE .
IT'S HARD TO BELIEVE I BOUGHT IT BECAUSE I BOUGHT THE MAGIC OF BONEY M AND REMEMBERED " RIVERS OF BABYLON " - WHICH WAS DONE AS " DENTIST IN BIRMINGHAM " BY THESE BEDFORDSHIRE SILLY BUGGERS !
OVERALL A GR8 CD ONLY GIVEN 4 STARS BECAUSE A LOT OF THE TRACKS I'VE NEVER HEARD BEFORE OR FORGOT

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheers you up, 9 Oct. 2013
alan scott (Sunbury on Thames,UK) - See all my reviews
I love this cd and will be seeing the Barron Knights at Warner's in Hungerford in late November 2013.
Sad to her lead singer Duke D'Mond passed away albeit in 2009.
Peter Langford is the only one left of the original lineup.
Anyway I digress, if you want to laugh then buy this as they don't make them like this anymore.
Alan Scott

4.0 out of 5 stars classic humour!, 5 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Funny In The Head - The Best Of The Barron Knights (MP3 Download)
Bought the download as I wanted a particular track I remember from childhood. Some if the tracks are before my time so was not familiar with the jokes behind it but the latter ones such as a taste of agro are brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars so so funny, 25 Jun. 2011
Mrs. S. D. Bassett "Bertie's wife" (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
My brother had this on tape in the 1970s, it was funny then and it's still funny now, I laughed so much at some tracks I was almost in tears. I'd highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars another great value cd, 25 April 2012
John R. Gidley (plymouth ,devon .uk) - See all my reviews
this cd is a companion to the other best of cd on pegasus , this is more of the later stuff they did so it is worth buying the two cds to have a good overall view of the barron knights .

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for a giggle..., 21 Feb. 2006
Amos Spitalhatch (Hamilton, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
We don't hear a lot about the Barron Knights in New Zealand, so this collection is very welcome, providing a good cross-section of their work, and providing not only giggles and the occasional chuckle but also a guffaw or two.
Two personal favourites are included: Heaving on a Jet Plane, and The Chapel Lead is Missing and I've no doubt that others will also become favourites after they've been played a few times.
Only one small complaint: the design of the back cover is next to illegible.
The music, however, is excellent!
To quote the liner notes:
'If you're fed up of bad news everyday or stuck in the middle of a traffic jam on the M25 this CD will cheer you up.'
Couldn't agree more!