5.0 out of 5 stars The Holy Grail of Rare Groove, 13 Jan. 2010
The discovery of recordings that have laid in session engineer Bruce Thomsons basement for 35 years, the music of a band put together by Dale Warren on Stax. Music deemed too Black for mainstream U S radio stations and not commercial enough for the R&B stations. The bands name 24 Carat Black perfectly describes their music, if you're after Rare Groove buy without a doubt.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funky enjoyment., 11 Jan. 2011
L. Hjorth (Denmark) - See all my reviews
An LP release pressed from an over 30 year old partly damaged master tape found in a moist cellar? I must admit I was a bit reluctant to press the "buy button", because the chance were that someone has been too eager to get this music out, and therefore maybe was willing to compromise with the sound quality of the old tapes. But the music samples I could hear online were enough to make me take a change. Let me start with the music. It's funk, and the sound is very typical for the time; recorded in the early `70s and it really shows. It's not a timeless classic but a musical fragment of its time. So I have to tune myself in to the feeling and excitement for the new possibilities a `70s sound studio had to offer. They work with echo and stereo effects quite a lot sometimes. In other words, it's not an LP I put on when I want some funk, it's an LP I put on when I want some typical `70s funk. And funk it is, cool funk that has the bloated electric bass, the tight drums, electric organ and a strong female voice and a good male voice on the last track. I didn't knew anything about "24 Carat Black" before this release. But you can hear that the right people met at the right time in that studio and made a special recording. The music has nerve and feeling and a purely excitement for the project that is very enjoyable to listen too. If you're in to funk, then you will like this record. It's not outstanding but quite good and offers you a little travel back in time too with its very distinctive `70s sound. Witch get's me back to the sound quality of the recording itself. I have read that they were only able to save some of the tape. They saved the right parts, because the sound quality on the LP is quite good: clean crisp treble, a tight bass, good middle area with fine details and a good stereo perspective that is free of the speakers. I have better recordings from the `60s and `70s and some outstanding ones as well, but "Gone - The Promises of Yesterday" meets the average production standard of the time, which is good enough the make you focus on what's important; the music."Gone - The Promises of Yesterday" will never be one of my all time favorites, but a record I'll pull out of the collection once in a while for some funky enjoyment.

GONE: THE PROMISES OF YESTERDAY
GONE: THE PROMISES OF YESTERDAY by 24-Carat Black (Audio CD - 2009)