5.0 out of 5 stars Breath of Fresh Air
Published on 20 Oct 2007 by Grant Salisbury

3.0 out of 5 stars your usual 12 bar blues
Joe is a skilled guitarist and certainly puts some soul into his lengthy guitar solos. I'd recommend this album as well as The Mustangs albums,Nothing Stays The Same and "Split Decision". And if at all possible, experience the music from these blues influenced folk live-by far the most sureal experience.
Published on 8 Aug 2008 by Cleverone

5.0 out of 5 stars Breath of Fresh Air, 20 Oct 2007
This review is from: Sloe Gin (Audio CD)
I was beginning to despair with some of the recent music that I have heard. Then someone recommended Joe so I plumped for this album. Wish I had not done it as now I am going to have to buy all the others !! He is pure class. I love this album and it gets better every time I hear it. I thought when I first heard it that it was a bit like Bad Company ( No bad thing ) and then I heard the track 'Seagull'. Superbly done as a cover from Bad Company themselves. I will finish off by saying that if you like decent guitars, good vocals and good production, this is a superb example. Time to get my Christmas list together ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it, 6 Sep 2007
R. S. Stringer (staffordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sloe Gin (Audio CD)
I have been a Bonamassa fan for about eighteen months now having discovered him through a review of his last album in the rock press. After purchasing the album, i ended up buying all the previous albums plus the live DVD at the Rockplast. I can honestly say that this is without doubt his best album. It is simply brilliant, Joe Bonamassa is surely destined for greatness. There isnt a bad track on the album, i highly recommend it to anyone who appreciates brilliant rock and blues guitar playing. This is my album of the year, just buy it you will not be disapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bully!, 17 Sep 2007
This review is from: Sloe Gin (Audio CD)
Indeed a gift to the musically thirsty! Includes free refills! I don't care what you call it, modern or throwback (retro), adult contemporary, rock, whatever. YOU be the judge! For me, like heck this isn't a great blues rock album! This one album, Joe Bonamassa's sixth studio release (seven total counting "A New Day Yesterday LIVE", which also was one of two outstanding DVD's, the other being "Live at Rockpalast"), his second with top-notch producer Kevin "Caveman" Shirley, who seems as high on Joe's talent as anyone these days, happens to be a cornucopia of blues-inflected rock stylings worthy of high praise and expenditure of your hard-earned, low net balance funds.

This is a "blues deluxe" album more so than the namesake album by Joe Bonamassa from 2003. That was more traditional style. This is mentored style blues perhaps, but it's also the most original blues album of the young century / millennium, brandishing in your face much more than Joe's biting guitar & amazingly soulful vocals, it's the real deal! A gift-wrapped package of delights, despite side trips through depressive states, for the ears and soul. It defies categorization and no description does justice. The whole album showcases the amazing talents of everyone involved. Not the same old same old anything, it's just a creative, living, breathing creature start to finish. A modernized, male-spirited version of something new, significant, rock & stroll, yet still beautiful. Even if it develops Sloe-ly, like trying to get a buzz off a watered-down sloe gin fizz, it's a four seasons, five stars, any frame of mind or mood listen you'll enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars my god! this guy is awesome!, 16 May 2008
P. D. Fox "Lover of musix" (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sloe Gin (Audio CD)
never heard of him before. thought i would buy some blues. this guy rocks. i have listened to only two tracks so far and the production, sound, and spine tingling 'sound' is right up my street. bit like the decent parts of Clapton - guitar solos, long sustain, with a nice sound. Like the Eagles at their best but better, and a decent bass voice.

On the basis of just two tracks - off to buy the rest.

The last band i bought which made me 'buy the lot' was Camel - 10 years ago and I have been searching ever since for the 'fix' of music like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new day tomorrow, 23 July 2007
Keith S. Jenkins "carpjenks" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sloe Gin (Audio CD)
Obviously not released yet, but I heard a couple of tracks on Planet Rock on Friday and they were stunning. 'One of these days' is an old Ten Years After tune and Joe handles it brilliantly, but the title track, 'Sloe Gin' is simply mind blowing! I wondered if I was over reacting, but then heard it again on Saturday and realised I wasn't!! A stunning, slow blues track that ends with a guitar solo that would make Gary Moore weep. Can't wait for August 20th.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sloe Gin - love it, 1 Nov 2009
I. Paterson "Zoltan xx" (Borders Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sloe Gin (Audio CD)
Bought this CD after hearing title track on Paul Jones show. Love the whole album - great to find someone new at my age. I'm not of the generation who download one track - never would want to be either. To do so would be to miss a great mix of new and old songs - excellent cover of Seagull and great solo guitar riffs - a lost art. Now need to go and find out more about Joe Bonamassa.

5.0 out of 5 stars Track Listing, 8 April 2012
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sloe Gin (Audio CD)
Thought the Track listing would be of use so here it is.

1. Ball Peen Hammer
10. Richmond
11. India

5.0 out of 5 stars Master Of Class!, 12 Sep 2007
J. M. Green "john94682" (Sutton Coldfield) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sloe Gin (Audio CD)
File this one under CLASS - make no bones about it, whether you like blues or not, this is one very classy album, executed by a gifted musician.
This album plays two sides of the blues - one, electric (spell that E.L.E.C.T.R.I.C!) and the other, no less impressive, acoustic, although mixed up so that it impacts all the more so. Opening with an acoustic/electric "Ball Peen Hammer", it then hits it's stride with my personal favourite, "One Of These Days", which hits you between the eyes with it's lumbering riff, building to a tasty little solo - so good I must have hit the replay button a dozen times the first time I played the album!
"Dirt In My Pocket", the title track, "Sloe Gin", "Richmond"......this album is crammed full of brilliantly executed MUSIC!
I really cannot recommend this album more highly and neither can I wait to catch him on tour in the UK. early '08!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like rock guitar this is for you, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: Sloe Gin (Audio CD)
I have only just been introduced to this artist by a work colleague. What a fabulous album - no bad tracks on it at all. Sloe Gin is one of those songs that will stay in your mind for a very long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very strong, varied joe album, perhaps his best ?, 2 Sep 2007
Musicman (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sloe Gin (Audio CD)
Im really enjoying listening to joe's new album. There are strong tracks throughout and there seems to be more variety and styles covered here than in some of his other albums. Its not a big electric guitar solo outing like 'you and me' (although of course theres still great solos), or another pure blues showing but its the strength in the songs and joe's singing that shine through like on the paul rodgers cover 'seagull'. Also theres more acoustic stuff here even a few classical guitar sounds. One negative aspect is the inclusion of another version of around the bend, at least this version is nicer than the original on 'had to cry today', its just i would rather hear a new track. Heres to hoping he returns to play in uk (london) again soon!

Sloe Gin