Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 20 October 2007
I was beginning to despair with some of the recent music that I have heard. Then someone recommended Joe so I plumped for this album. Wish I had not done it as now I am going to have to buy all the others !! He is pure class. I love this album and it gets better every time I hear it. I thought when I first heard it that it was a bit like Bad Company ( No bad thing ) and then I heard the track 'Seagull'. Superbly done as a cover from Bad Company themselves. I will finish off by saying that if you like decent guitars, good vocals and good production, this is a superb example. Time to get my Christmas list together ...
on 6 September 2007
I have been a Bonamassa fan for about eighteen months now having discovered him through a review of his last album in the rock press. After purchasing the album, i ended up buying all the previous albums plus the live DVD at the Rockplast. I can honestly say that this is without doubt his best album. It is simply brilliant, Joe Bonamassa is surely destined for greatness. There isnt a bad track on the album, i highly recommend it to anyone who appreciates brilliant rock and blues guitar playing. This is my album of the year, just buy it you will not be disapointed.
on 17 September 2007
Indeed a gift to the musically thirsty! Includes free refills! I don't care what you call it, modern or throwback (retro), adult contemporary, rock, whatever. YOU be the judge! For me, like heck this isn't a great blues rock album! This one album, Joe Bonamassa's sixth studio release (seven total counting "A New Day Yesterday LIVE", which also was one of two outstanding DVD's, the other being "Live at Rockpalast"), his second with top-notch producer Kevin "Caveman" Shirley, who seems as high on Joe's talent as anyone these days, happens to be a cornucopia of blues-inflected rock stylings worthy of high praise and expenditure of your hard-earned, low net balance funds.

This is a "blues deluxe" album more so than the namesake album by Joe Bonamassa from 2003. That was more traditional style. This is mentored style blues perhaps, but it's also the most original blues album of the young century / millennium, brandishing in your face much more than Joe's biting guitar & amazingly soulful vocals, it's the real deal! A gift-wrapped package of delights, despite side trips through depressive states, for the ears and soul. It defies categorization and no description does justice. The whole album showcases the amazing talents of everyone involved. Not the same old same old anything, it's just a creative, living, breathing creature start to finish. A modernized, male-spirited version of something new, significant, rock & stroll, yet still beautiful. Even if it develops Sloe-ly, like trying to get a buzz off a watered-down sloe gin fizz, it's a four seasons, five stars, any frame of mind or mood listen you'll enjoy.
on 16 May 2008
never heard of him before. thought i would buy some blues. this guy rocks. i have listened to only two tracks so far and the production, sound, and spine tingling 'sound' is right up my street. bit like the decent parts of Clapton - guitar solos, long sustain, with a nice sound. Like the Eagles at their best but better, and a decent bass voice.

On the basis of just two tracks - off to buy the rest.

The last band i bought which made me 'buy the lot' was Camel - 10 years ago and I have been searching ever since for the 'fix' of music like this.
on 2 January 2011
I was enlightened into the world of JB about a year ago when Planet Rock were plugging the release of Ballad Of John Henry and I do remember thinking to myself, I should buy some Bonamassa. The moment that tipped the scales was one Sunday evening I was (quite sadly) ironing a shirt for work whilst listening to Nicky Horne's show on Planet Rock ....and he played the live double track India/Mountain Time and I was instantly mesmerised. It took me a day or two but I quickly tracked down the album from which that was taken (Live ...From Nowhere In Particular). That duly arrived and on that I heard the live versions of Ball Peen Hammer and Sloe Gin ...and so this became my next 'must have' album and it doesn't disappoint. As well as the two mentioned tracks, you get great songs such as One Of These Days, Another Kind Of Love, Around The Bend and the studio version of India (which is very very different from his live interpretation). But on top of those is Dirt In My Pocket ... which if I am honest sounds like it belongs slap bang in the middle of a Lynyrd Skynyrd album. JB likes to mix it up and you get haunting ballads, good old southern rock and foot tapping blues.

This is just a very solid, well written and well played album that is very difficult to pick holes in.
on 23 July 2007
Obviously not released yet, but I heard a couple of tracks on Planet Rock on Friday and they were stunning. 'One of these days' is an old Ten Years After tune and Joe handles it brilliantly, but the title track, 'Sloe Gin' is simply mind blowing! I wondered if I was over reacting, but then heard it again on Saturday and realised I wasn't!! A stunning, slow blues track that ends with a guitar solo that would make Gary Moore weep. Can't wait for August 20th.
on 1 November 2009
Bought this CD after hearing title track on Paul Jones show. Love the whole album - great to find someone new at my age. I'm not of the generation who download one track - never would want to be either. To do so would be to miss a great mix of new and old songs - excellent cover of Seagull and great solo guitar riffs - a lost art. Now need to go and find out more about Joe Bonamassa.
Thought the Track listing would be of use so here it is.

1. Ball Peen Hammer
8. Black Night
9. Jelly Roll
10. Richmond
11. India
Another fine album from joe,ive got quite a few now,this was a bit different.I liked the way he constructed this album.On this theres some acustic stuff mixed in with his rocky/blues style ,which I liked."dirt in my pocket" was probobly my fav..track a "meaty".."gutsy" track that had the lot,but in all a really good listen, couple tracks toward the end that didnt do a lot for me,"sloe gin" i remember from the gig in cardiff last october.exellent song.A good mix of songs really,not over the top,I thought it was earlier than 2009 this one,but he keeps knocking them out its hard to keep up,not so polished as "dust bowl" but thats what i liked about it,no high gloss,but a well put together "mix"well worth the investment.
on 24 November 2013
I have only just been introduced to this artist by a work colleague. What a fabulous album - no bad tracks on it at all. Sloe Gin is one of those songs that will stay in your mind for a very long time.