5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Guitarist.
This must be the Blues album of the year.His approach to the blues reminds me of Rory Gallagher in many respects,and indeed he has covered Gallagher songs in the past.The opening track "High Water Everywhere" is a killer,and on "Asking Around For You" he takes it to another level.

Published on 13 Oct. 2006 by FDJ

1.0 out of 5 stars dont buy
dont waste your money if you want to play this on a portable cd player...it wont play on my sony or technics whilst other artists stuff will...rip off!
Published 22 months ago by Mr. C. S. Turner

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Guitarist., 13 Oct. 2006
This review is from: You And Me (Audio CD)

If i have one complaint ,it is that the Ry Cooder cover does'nt quite cut it,but that's only my opinion.Overall this is a masterclass in Blues guitar and i can't wait to catch him live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Between You and Me Joe B, 27 April 2006
This review is from: You And Me (Audio CD)
Joe B. just between you and me I have to tell you that you succeeded in providing your growing fanbase yet another record that will not dissapoint those of us eagerley awaiting your next release. This appears to be the next step in the evolution of a young artist. More of a step in the direction you were headed with the release of A New Day Yesterday. With that late 60's early 70's nostalgic sound that those of us who came to know the blues through such artists as Cream, Led Zeppelin, John Mayall, Fleetwood Mac identified with. Once again a mixture of covers and originals, acoustic to electric. A montage of styles and influences that range from Beck, Green, Page, and yes even Ry Cooder. Because I like my blues to rock just a little and I like my rock just a little bluesy. I'm going to keep following you down those roads in whatever direction you choose because you and me, have something in common.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Sweet Sound!, 18 April 2006
Matt (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: You And Me (Audio CD)
Like many of my recent CD purchases, I decided I was going to buy the album after hearing one of Joe Bonamassa's tracks played on Bob Harris' late night show (that man has cost me a fortune).

Now I'm a stickler for the blues but what this guy has got is something else. It's common to come across someone who can sing the blues really well or someone who can play blues guitar really well but when you find someone who sings and plays like Bonamassa does, as if it was this or nothing, it's pretty rare.

The album opens up with High Water Everywhere, a mid tempo blues track with a catchy a riff and a thumping bassline intro before Bonamassa's gravely voice kicks in and you start to picture a fairly old aged black man singing from his guitar (he's 28 and he's white).

The second track "Bridge to Better Days" (The track that sold the album to me) is another fantastic track with a mind-blowing solo.

The album carries on like this, every track a jem and the band so tight you'd think they'd been playing for fifty years. If you're a fan of Joe Bonamassa then you'll love this CD (Okay, it's the first one I have but I'm going to get more now) and if you're just a fan of the blues then check it out, you're missing out otherwise!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Terrific Blues Rock album!, 16 Sept. 2006
This review is from: You And Me (Audio CD)
Joe Bonamassa's name kept popping up as a recomendation from Amazon when I was buying or checking out stuff in here. I'd never heard of the guy but looking at the name I figured he'd be one of those heavy widdly-widdly guitar virtuoso types, like Vai and Satriani who do nothing for me. In the end I read the reviews and, hey! looks like the kind of thing I would like after all!!

So next day I'm in town and pass the record shop and there was this album staring at me through the doorway, so i can take a hint, went in and bought it and am I glad that I did because it is a corker!

Think 'Tons of Sobs' Kossoff, Bluesbreakers Clapton, Then Play On' and Boston Tea Party' Peter Green, 'Tres Hombres' and 'Tejas' Billy Gibbons and the best of Gary Moores blues workouts - Yes! This is that good!

Production and mix are excellent, clear but with real crunch, a great job. High points for me: 'So Many Roads', a tremendous version of a song usually associated with the great Otis Rush, the solo is blistering. 'Bridge To Better Days' and 'Asking around For You', both Joe's own compositions are great, the first being a stomping rocker and the later a really nice ballard hung around Peter Greens, 'Need Your Love so Bad' (which is no bad thing at all).

There is a downright vicious romp through Sonny Boy Williamson's 'Your Funeral, My Trial' with an unhinged harp solo and a totally wigged out guitar solo.

Iguess that the albums centerpiece is the cover of Led Zeppelin's 'Tea For One' off of Presence. I have to say that this one of my favourite Zep tracks off of my favourite Zep album, and this is one heck of a go at it- congratulations! Most people wouldn't have the balls to try it or the sense to leave it well alone. For me the version is a little overcooked with the guitar solo, could have done with a little more light and shade, kind of full on through out but the strings are just wonderful (listen to this track on headphones). Frankly if you didn't have the original to compare this with it would be jawdropping stuff.

Summing up, this album is top class stuff, right up there with the best in my opinion, well done Joe, terrific stuff. my only question is why is this guy such a well kept secret, rubbish like Kasabian, scissor Sisters, Snow Patrol etc are rammed down your throat but guys who can really play and make music with conviction you never hear of??

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Performance, 20 May 2006
Robert Housden (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You And Me (Audio CD)
One of his finest releases, not one bad track on the whole CD.A mesmerising version of Led Zeppelins Tea For One is a highlight.Joe Bonamassa is a young guitarist at the top of his game, watch this space.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS THE REAL DEAL !!!, 1 July 2006
Mr. D. A. Carp "Dave" (Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You And Me (Audio CD)
I love the blues old and new, and Joes got the blues!!!..... so bad. Tone to die for, riffs and songs that grow and grow!!! He doesn't sound like a 23 year old white boy, he sounds like a seasoned blues vet!!

This is the first album of his that I've bought, and I will be getting more, and the live DVD, I've seen clips from it,.... its a lesson in the blues.

All the influences are there to be heard, Clapton, Page, Beck, and Stevie Ray Vaughan, and all the traditional blues guys too.

If you are a guitarist, just look at the guitar he has listed in the liner notes...... and be envious!!!

CLASS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets Better the more you hear it, 27 Feb. 2007
This review is from: You And Me (Audio CD)
When I first heard this CD, I was a little dissapionted. Not that it was bad but it just wasn't as immeadiate as some his other material, and like one of the reviewers below, I found some of the tracks a tad over produced. However, I would still have rated it as between 3 and 4 stars.

I put the whole CD on my MP3 and used to skip some of my less favourite tracks but over the course of a few months I found I was skipping less and less. After several more months I still like all the tracks, although some more than others.

Compared to his earlier CDs I feel the biggest improvement on this CD are his vocals. Not that he was bad before, he would probably have have been able to get a job gigging just as a singer. Joe's playing, songwriting and arrangements remain excellent.

I can't wait for the next album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this album..., 30 Jun. 2006
R. McFadden "Rog' the Runner" (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You And Me (Audio CD)
This guy is frighteningly good. Take Gary Moore, Buddy Guy and Eric Clapton, write them some really good numbers, bake for 45 minutes in a really hot oven and you have Joe Bonamassa's "you and Me" album. If you like blues/rock, you will not be disappointed. If you like blistering blues guitar you will rocket off to heaven with Joe's playing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Over produced and a little vague. Still good though!, 10 Aug. 2006
This review is from: You And Me (Audio CD)
This is a great album, with some fantastic musicianship on it. Joe Bonamassa is a living legend, and the artistry on this album demonstrates it. The guitar work is off the planet, and singing suitably growly. However, there are occasions when there are traces of over indulgence with the production, which seems to smooth off the rough edges that makes the blues blue. Compare this album with its string sections, and layers upon layers of guitar parts (which are I concede beautifully orchestrated) with the snarling punchy, and sometimes fearsome roughness of the Blues Deluxe album. In interviews Joe claims You and Me is the blues but played really heavy, but comparing it to Blues Deluxe, it is decidedly ballady for the most part. Much of the energy and drive in the live shows seems to be lost on this album. If you like your blues stripped down the bone and nasty, you'll find this album a little saccharine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joe delivers the Blues!, 16 Sept. 2010
S. J. M (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You And Me (Audio CD)
I recently got into Joe Bonamassa when I was going through my dads Blues CDs and chanced in listening to Joe's more recent Album "The Ballard of John Henry" which itself was stunning. Eager to listen to more, I plumbed out on You & Me going by the reviews here and I'm glad I did. Joe Bonamassa has a great ability to make the guitar bend to his will to make it sound amazing and is at his best when going all out in some fast paced fret bashing madness.

The album consists of a small number of songs Bonamassa wrote himself with a selection of covers (Similar to most of his albums). Although in smaller number to the covers, his originals are good, catchy songs which show some talent for writing as well as playing the guitar. It has to be said, that my 2 favourite songs on the album are from the covers, "So Many Roads" and the stunning "Tea for One". There are not enough superlatives to describe just how good the later is, and in this reviewers opinion, surpasses the Led Zeppelin original on all fronts (credit where it's due to Doug Henthorn for the vocals).

Recommended.