5.0 out of 5 stars Was good tiswaz!!
Precursor to the bigger budget offering of the 80's and 90's. Views as an early Robin 'The Hooded Man' of Sherwood (Clanad and Jason Connery).
Published 15 months ago by Anthony Kelly

2.0 out of 5 stars o dear, what a difference 40 years makes
Published 3 months ago by mrbramble

5.0 out of 5 stars Was good tiswaz!!, 9 Jan 2013
Anthony Kelly (Wicklow, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Black Arrow - The Complete Series [DVD] [1972] (DVD)
This was released in the era of great Children's TV series like The Tomorrow People, Shy, Children of the Stones, Arthur of the Britons mostly from ITV (I think!!) and The Legend of Robin Hood from BBC. Anyway, this stuff was our daily fare as young 'single channel' primary school kids. It started just after school was finished at 3:30pm and each episode only lasted 30 mins so enough time to eat and get ready to go out and play!! Oh those were the days --- which is important to remember when reviewing these series. Unless you are a TV history buff, or have some similar reason, there is really no point in watching these unless you saw them the first time around. They were low budget and cannot visually compete with today's offerings and to be honest that's not the idea. If they were good, then they've already been redone numerous times and as for the rest, well it's enough if they can help recall memories and feelings and the contentment of easier times (I think it's called youth!!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very much a period piece, 20 Nov 2009
Mr. C. J. Iredale "juxtapose" (London Town) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Black Arrow - The Complete Series [DVD] [1972] (DVD)
So, it's 1972. You are a shaggy haired child, scuffed knees in short trousers and have a plate of Heinz beans and sausages on toast on your knee, in front of the TV. What's on? Well the Beeb would likely to be Noakes, Perves and Singleton, either making something out of a plastic bottle and cotton wool, but on ITV, there were programmes amongst some of the more suspect shows was Southern's Black Arrow. Based on an old tale, that is not overtly dissimilar to Robin Hood, but set a few centuries later, it is an enjoyable romp and ran for 3 seasons, up to 1975.

Of note here are the location shots (of which there are many and wonderful they are too) and a very young looking Nigel Havers. If TV from the 70s, or period dramas are of interest to you (and it isn't really a kids programme at all), then this is for you. It is surprising it missed the axe of those employed in the 70s to wipe shows, by is a welcome release none the less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series, 30 Nov 2009
S. Lee "Classic Buff" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Black Arrow - The Complete Series [DVD] [1972] (DVD)
I first came across this series in a TV re-run during the 1980s and loved it to the extent that I made this adaptation into my amateur graphic novel. I was only 9 at the time. I thought Black Arrow looked so much cooler in black than Robin Hood in his lincoln green outfit and tights. When I found out that this series had been released on Dvd I immediately logged onto Amazon and ordered a copy. Great dvd, pity about the lack of subtitles, still a collectible in my book! I do hope that ITV or related company releasing such memorable TV series would continue to release other ones like "Flight of The Heron" starring David Rintoule (Mr Darcy in the 1976 BBC TV adaptation of "Pride and Prejudice"). This series complements ITV's other TV adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson's "Kidnapped"(starring David McCallum)which is also about the Jacobite uprising. I am also waiting for the re-release of a digitally remastered TV adaptation of R L Stevenson's "Master of Ballantrae" starring Sir John Gilgud, Michael York, and Richard Thomas (directed by John Biggs and Derek Nice). Please please release these two TV adaptations SOON !!!

2.0 out of 5 stars o dear, what a difference 40 years makes, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Black Arrow - The Complete Series [DVD] [1972] (DVD)
Wow this is a shocker. At first I thought that I couldn't get on with this product because it feels so dated in terms of camera work, acting style etc. But the truth is, it is just a poor production. Wooden, amateur acting and horrid snobby actors- especially the young "hero" and his girlfriend: so totally obnoxious and irritating beyond belief that I felt like throwing something at the screen. Could be a collectors item or an academic study in awfulness, but entertainment it is not. If I hadn't paid for it I may have laughed, but as it is I feel like a mug on this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for so long !!!, 9 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Black Arrow - The Complete Series [DVD] [1972] (DVD)
it's with great pleasure I watch this old serie. I used to watch it on TV when I was a child in 1975. Of course if you have not already seen this series, you can find it a "old way" but the archery part is quite good, well I'm very happy that it has been released on DVD. Too bad there are no subtitle or add on.
The Three parts are not equivalent, if you like old series from the 70's try this one.
I would like to know who is the bowmaker.

3.0 out of 5 stars A piece of retro., 25 Feb 2014
zweledinga p. jordan (CAPE TOWN, South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Black Arrow - The Complete Series [DVD] [1972] (DVD)
I wondered why the series was digitised. It is extremely interesting as retroTV and the age of the original footage regrettably detracts from Stevenson's story.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Black Arrow- The Complete Series, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Black Arrow - The Complete Series [DVD] [1972] (DVD)
This Series of short stories is set When the war osf the Roses took place and a mystry person who worked against evil ect,The series reminded me of when i was a child,its still very very good watch and enjoy

3.0 out of 5 stars Stagey and dated, but worth seeing again, 3 April 2011
This review is from: The Black Arrow - The Complete Series [DVD] [1972] (DVD)
Three series in one collection, so good value. Production qualities are limited by the 1970s budgets and series 1 is slow and stilted and ham acted. Nevertheless it sets the stage for the much better series 2 & 3. The memorable theme music and Sally James of Tiswas fame appear in s2, Nigel Havers in s3. The story is based on the book by Robert Louis Stevenson and adds much to it. An outlaw story set in the reign of Edward IV, during the Wars of the Roses, and generally pro-Yorkist. Richard duke of Gloucester, later Richard III, appears as an almost heroic character in several episodes, though is often referred to as "Crookback".

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun title, 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Black Arrow - The Complete Series [DVD] [1972] (DVD)
Fun title, grainy studio videotape work, often very hurried dialogue, no subtitles. An enjoyable enough reminder of the 70's though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Children's programming from an earlier time, 9 Oct 2010
Helen Kelley (Pleasantville, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Black Arrow - The Complete Series [DVD] [1972] (DVD)
Like one other reviewer, I purchased this set based on other comments. Living in the USA I was not privy to view this series. Reminds me of children's programming from my era. I remember watching Robin Hood, Disney Mouseketeers, Fess Parker in Daniel Boone and other early evening or Saturday morning programs. I remember sitting on the floor with my faced glued to the Mickey Mouse Club. I always loved Robin Hood, and took up archery as an adolescent because of the show. These are programs for our young people to find as safe watching. We do not have to wonder if inappropriate behavior will suddenly show up on the screen. I will probably donate this set to the local library to place in our Children's Reading Room-DVD/VHS viewing. I think the age group of 5-10 may find this series watchable. So for those who have young grandchildren, or you are reliving an earlier, happier time, this will be fun viewing.

ARRAY(0xab089e58)