5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!
The book was really good. It was much better than I thought it was going to be and I can't wait for the second one.
Published on 18 July 2009 by Lou H

3.0 out of 5 stars good read bit slow but ok
Good read kind of on the lines of the hills but easy read on to the next lets see what happens
Published 4 months ago by Daniella Louisa

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 18 July 2009
This review is from: L.A. Candy (Hardcover)
I spent a lot of the book trying to match the characters in the book to those of the real life series of 'The Hills'. Some were obvious, where as others appeared to be missing. However, it is a fiction book and not a written down version of the real events, I must remember to tell myself that!!

It was very well written and gave a fasinating insight into the 'behind the scenes' stuff that we don't ever see on screen.

I loved how the book ended on a cliff hanger which will link nicely into number 2. If you're not sure whether to buy it, i'd say, Go for it! You won't regret it!

Probably not suitable for young teens due to some adult content.

5.0 out of 5 stars L.A Candy, 2 Aug 2009
This review is from: L.A. Candy (Hardcover)
This is a really good book. if you have followed Lauren Conrad on The Hills and you want to know all the things you didnt see on the series it is in this book for sure! Although Lauren Conrad says this book is fiction, you can just tell she took a lot of the ideas from her life in The Hills! A must have for your summer holidays!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading!, 17 Jun 2009
J. M. S. Ferreras (Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: L.A. Candy (Hardcover)
I bought this book as a present for my sister. I though it might be good for her to start reading books in english and improve her level. She has been a fan of Lauren since "Laguna Beach" so obviously she really enjoyed the book.., I picked it up to peruse it and I couldn't put it down, it was interesting to know all the "trash" behind the cameras, what it takes to make a reality show...how everything is set, produced and planned.
Worth reading! ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars LA Candy, 27 Feb 2010
Leah Graham (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
When Jane Roberts moves to LA with best friend Scarlett, the last thing they expect is to be offered the chance to star in reality TV show LA Candy. Particularly when the only reason they moved to LA was so Jane could fulfill her dream of working as an event planner and so Scarlett could go to USC. As LA Candy becomes a hit, Jane and Scarlett find themselves in the spotlight more than ever and it seems that the celebrity lifestyle isn't all it's cracked up to be. Especially when LA Candy co-stars Madison and Gaby start angling for Jane's starring role - it turns out Madison will stop at nothing to destroy Jane, but just how far will she have to go?

The book caught my attention pretty much from the off. It begins just before Jane and Scarlett get the chance to star in LA Candy and we learn why they came to LA in the first place. It oversees their transition from regular human beings into the hottest stars on the hottest TV show. The way Jane and Scarlett are found by Trevor, the exec-producer of LA Candy, is relatively unbelieveable but since this is Hollywood, I suppose anything could happen so the outrageous-ness just made it all the better. As the book is told from the third person point of view, we manage to see what's happening at all times with everyone involved in LA Candy. The majority of the book is told from Jane's point of view but it does switch to Scarlett, Trevor and others at random intervals. To see everything unfold without Jane knowing about it was very clever but also made me feel incredibly sneaky for knowing what was going on without Jane knowing!

I really enjoyed reading LA Candy and I can see it has wide appeal. It was published by HarperTeen which tells me that it's aimed more at teenagers than adults but adults can very easily read LA Candy and enjoy it. I can fully recommend LA Candy and I can also admit that I was totally wrong about Lauren Conrad. No she's not Sophie Kinsella but she's written a very enjoyable book about what it's like to star in a reality TV series and I really loved reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 31 Oct 2010
Ms. D. F. Adeyinka (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I love Lauren Conrad because she is a focused level headed role model.

So I had to get her book and I was not disappointed...good read for the older teens

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it..., 13 Oct 2010
This review is from: L.A. Candy (Hardcover)
Really easy read, love the story line. I am now reading the next book (Sweet little Lies) as it follows on from LA Candy, I recommend you buy it is you cannot wait to find out what happens!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For Fans Of "The Hills", 13 July 2010
M. Vosper (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: L.A. Candy (Hardcover)
I originally bought this book because I am a fan of Lauren Conrad and have been since her Laguna Beach days. I wasn't expecting too much from it but got a pleasant surprise. The story is very addictive and if you like shows like "The Hills" this will be right up your alley. However if you are not interested in reality TV, I would deter you from buying this as it is quite fast paced and therefore lacks depth.

The writing style is quite basic and hence somewhat of a distraction but it is intended for a younger audience so it is to be expected. Still, as someone in her twenties I found it to be an enjoyable read despite this.

This book is a lot more fictious than I thought it was going to be. I was expecting characters to be a lot more similar to real life, as they were for example in Nicole Ritchie's The Truth About Diamonds. In reality I think people have been blended together and changed somewhat to make the characters although there are obvious influences from people we have seen on The Hills and things that we have read about Lauren et al in the press. Originally I found this a negative point as I was hoping for some juicy gossip about the real life stars but in the end I found the story and the characters to be well-rounded and interesting enough to keep me reading.

I think this book is fanastic for young adult readers and older adult readers for that matter! However, I would warn you that if you are thinking of buying this for a young teen there is use of bad language and themes of promiscuous sex and underage drinking.

This novel is entertaining, exciting and fun. It is perfect for a relaxing afternoon of reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 13 Jan 2010
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This novel by reality TV starlet Lauren Conrad chronicles the lives of Jane Roberts and her best friend, Scarlett Harp, as they move to LA and become the stars of a reality TV show. The book, which is based loosely on Conrad's own life, is a little slow in the beginning, but picks up a bit once Jane and Scarlett are discovered at a club by a TV producer.

From that point on the two, though a little hesitant at first, decide to audition for the show and their lives change drastically.

While Jane takes to the cameras being around easily, Scarlett is not so excited and wonders what she got herself into. Throw into the mix two other cast members, Gaby, a total ditz, and Madison, a total witch with a nice girl facade, and things get even more complicated.

When Jane starts dating Jesse, who happens to be the best friend of her friend-slash-major crush, Braden, things spiral out of control quickly and the jealousy of someone Jane thought she could trust ruins her life in an instant.

With lots of run-of-the-mill Hollywood cliches (blondes, drugs, cosmetic surgery, etc), L.A. CANDY almost fails to deliver an original storyline. In addition, in pretty much every single chapter, Jane and her friends are drinking (usually vodka soda for Jane) making it seem to the unknowing person who has never been to LA that you can't have any fun in Tinseltown without being drunk.

It is a quick and light read that would be great for the beach or a day when you don't need any actual depth in what you're reading. However, the ending is a cliffhanger and leaves you wanting to know what happens to Jane next.

Reviewed by: Angela S.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, 21 Aug 2009
This review is from: L.A. Candy (Hardcover)
This book is an easy read, I read it in one sitting. The writing is good, you are able to get a picture of things without long drawn out descriptions. You will love it if you are a fan of The Hills or not. If you are a fan you'll be trying to see which character is which girl from the show plus it is a good insight into how the 'feud' would have come about with Lauren & Heidi. There are times though that I thought the main character Jane was a bit annoying but it didn't take away from the book at all. It does end on a bit of a cliffhanger that does make you want to reach for the second book but its not that exciting and you'll forget about it 2 mins after putting the book down
All in all I would recommend the book for when you're sipping a cocktail sitting by the pool

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like The Hills buy it!, 11 Aug 2009
This review is from: L.A. Candy (Hardcover)
I was hooked on 'Laguna Beach' and love 'The Hills' but I was unsure if I would want to read Lauren Conrads novelO.ut of curiosity I bought it anyway and loved it! It is just as addictive as the programmes only with the convenience of taking it with me on holiday.If you want to find out how people get on reality shows and how they are filmed buy it. By the end it you will be searching for the due date of the second book!

L.A. Candy