• III

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 June 2009
Billy Talent are special. Not Punk, nor Emo, nor Ska, Rockabilly or anything else, they seem somehow to defy category, which is maybe what makes them so interesting.

III is very removed from I or II. It's certainly an album that takes a couple of listens before it starts to settle. III has much less kick or harshness than it's predecessors, yet contains a lot hooks and melody.

Tracks, Saint Veronika, The Dead Can't Testify (Polish folk anyone?) and Diamond On A Landmine are the stand out tracks for me. Track 9, Turn your back (available on myspace, and features anti-flag) is also great and is the fastest track from the album, giving you an idea of the tempo they have set themselves this time around. As with any Talent album, there are no bad songs.

All in all, This album comes away sounding a bit old-Aerosmith in places and a bit Taking Back Sunday. Sound odd? You bet it is. Fantastically.
on 9 August 2009
This album is the third offering from billy talent. It has exceeded my expectations, this album is more melodic that previous albums, which I think makes it much better. I have all three albums but this one is by far my favorite.

I love the first and second tracks, they really set the tone for the rest of the album. The riffs and the melodies are so catchy you'll find yourself humming the songs for the whole day.

I definitely recommend this album, which is why I have given it all 5 stars.
on 6 August 2009
I don't understand why Billy Talent are incapable of thinking of titles for albums, but it doesn't matter, because the songs easily make up for it.

I got this album a week or two ago and I have mixed feelings about it. After listening to it through a couple of times, I felt that I already knew all the songs, which made it a bit boring. But the songs have grown on me since then. Even though there's a definite classic rock feel to some of the songs (e.g. Devil On My Shoulder), and i hate classic rock, this is still classic Billy Talent as well, and as such is well worth listening to.

At least 3 of the songs on this album are about death in some way, and the general feel of the album is quite sombre and perhaps a bit depressing in places (White Sparrows is an incredibly sad song).

All in all, this is a good album. It's just not an AMAZING album. I had high hopes for Billy Talent's new release and perhaps it didn't quite live up to my expectations, but I still enjoy listening to it, and they're still one of my favourite bands.

If you're a BT fan, buy this album. You'll like it, even if you don't love it. If you've not heard their stuff before, maybe don't start with this album. I'd suggest trying II instead.
on 11 October 2009
Billy Talent have pretty much been my favourite band for quite some time now; and this album is amaaaaazing! I fell in love with all of the songs straight away, although my three favourites are probably "St. Veronika", "White Sparrows" and "Definition of Detiny"... "St. Veronika" is a great song, the lyrics apparently inspired by the plot of Paulo Coehlo's "Veronica Decides to Die"; "White Sparrows" is a real tear jerker- an amazing song in which Ben actually sings (!) and the last song on the album "Definition of Destiny" has beautiful meaningful lyrics. The album is said to be an in-between of Billy Talent's previous studio albums and their live sound; it well and truly is them and if you have liked any of the previous Billy Talent albums I recommend you buy this right now! You will not be disappointed!
on 6 October 2009
BT3 shows a further increase in maturity from the debut album, with darker more adult themes and slower paced songs. It mostly lacks the energetic punk quality of the earlier albums and doesn't have the variety of BT2, however this album makes up for it with consistently enjoyable harder rock tracks. This is one of the few albums I have bought recently that was not just three decent songs with filler, almost every song in this album is good. I highly recommend this to any fan of Billy Talent.
on 9 March 2010
When I first heard this album I had to make sure it was actually Billy Talent I was listening to. Ben's voice sounded really different and it took me a while to get used to it. Once used to it, however, it is a really good album, and songs like Devil on my Shoulder and Rusted from the Rain are are a must hear. An essential buy for any real Billy Talent fan.
on 31 May 2016
One star off because the posters are really impractical since they are huge and printed on both sides...It takes up half of my bed ...Honestly, I would have preferred it if they had made a thin booklet out of it...
on 19 May 2010
As a long time fan of Billy Talent (I've got all their previous albums including the Pezz - Watoosh album), I was eagerly looking forward to Billy Talent III. Now that I've had it for a bit, I have to say that I'm in two minds about the songs. Some of them such as "Saint Veronika" and "The Dead Can't Testify" are fantastic tracks. Others such as "Sudden Movements" are just way too slow and pedestrian. Overall, I do prefer the musical style of I and II in general to Billy Talent III, but there are some gems on this album.

The biggest problem with this album though is the frankly appalling mastering. It's gob-smacking to think that in 2009, an album can still be released which sounds as terrible as this without a single person listening to it before its release and saying "hang on a minute!". The drums are so woolly and muffled during certain tracks that you'd swear that Aaron had been buried under a pile of cushions when recording his parts. During the heavier parts of Saint Veronika for instance, the drums literally sound like someone in the background hitting a damp pillow with a tent peg they're that empty and muffled.

On top of this, the album suffers very badly from compression pumping as well. Every time the drums are hit, the volume of the cymbals dips alarmingly. During some songs, this is a distraction. During others, it makes the songs almost unlistenable. I honestly cannot listen to the beginning of "Tears Into Wine" for instance due to how horrible and wishy-washy the pumping cymbals sound.

Despite being loud as well, Billy Talent I and Billy Talent II are light years ahead of this album in terms of sound quality. It's possible to master an album to sound fairly loud whilst retaining a reasonable level of sound quality. This album unfortunately fails spectacularly at this.

My advice would be to keep your money in your pocket and wait until this album receives the remastering that it so desperately needs.
on 25 July 2015
Great service & item
on 18 July 2009
The third album from Billy Talent is a completely different sound to II, the songs carry less pace and are a lot more melodically sound this time round. A lot of thought/effort has gone into making this record diverse and it is possible to see a number of influences creeping through on some tracks.

My favourite tracks from the album are 'Saint Veronika' and 'Tears into wine' which both stood out for me after numerous listens. Whilst there are weaker tracks on the album there are no bad ones making this album the complete package which flows from start to finish.

Would highly recommend to Billy Talent fans and new listeners!