Format: DVD|Change

on 1 November 2009
'Futurama: The Specials' contains all 4 of the 'epics' that have been released since 'those assanine morons at B(f)ox' cancelled the show. The box set includes 'Benders Big Score', 'The Beast with a Billion Backs', 'Benders Game' and 'Into the Wild Green Yonder'. Each dvd comes with a huge amount of extras, (as is expected with Futurama) including commentaries on each, plus the usual stuff such as deleted scenes etc. They have even compiled the 'Futurama: Video Game' cut-scenes into a 'Lost Episode', which is nice. (It even has it's own commentary)
I must say that the quality of the 'epics' is far from the quality of the first 4 seasons, yet they're still very enjoyable, and I highly recommend this item to all futurama fans, not only because it's enjoyable but because it's a great bargain, the price here on amazon is almost the same as buying just one of the movies separately, but you get all 4!! Now I'm really looking forward to the new season 5 which is currently in the works.

In the words of Bender 'We're Back Baby!!!!'
88 comments|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 May 2010
It was a bit annoying how the team at Futurama decided to release these feature length DVDs one by one over a year, but when you get them altogether in this collection it's like owning Season 5. The show is as whitty, snappy, satirical and hilarious as ever, full of intriguing plots, copious amounts of play-on-words and the usual array of awesome characters. Each 'film' is great in it's own way but I have given them each a rating and a short summary below:

1. "Bender's Big Score".
9/10. My favourite of all. I think that when I first watched it I found the overly complicated cross-time plot a little too much, but in actuality it is genius. Bender and the others get tricked into losing everything they own to a bunch of horrid nudist aliens hell-bent on scamming the entire world. Eventually they and some of the other inhabitants of earth have to defeat them . Of course, there is a hell of a lot more going on as each of the main chracters has their own hilarious part to play. Bender, Fry, The Professor and Zap Brannigan remain my favourite characters each with some fantastic moments.

2. "The Beast With a Billion Backs".
8/10. The first half is absolutely brilliant. Admittedly the second half is a bit weird even by Futurama's standards, but it still works overall. After failing to find happiness with his new girlfriend, Fry leaves the Universe via a tear in the space time continuum. Bender is also ready to abandon normal life as he joins a secret robot society and eventually declares war on all humans. However, Fry re-emerges, bringing with him a pretty creepy being whose tentacles end up penetrating every human on Earth in a bid to connect everyone. As I said, it's a really silly plot, but still very funny.

3. "Bender's Game".
7/10. Just about the worst one here, but still very good. I think the problem here is the plot. The Professor and the others set out to destroy Mom's dark matter business while Bender goes mental as he overdoses on playing Dungeons and Dragons with Hubert and the other children. At some point The crew all fall into a pit and end up in Bender's imagination, where a pretty decent parody of Lord of the Rings takes place. The two separate plots before and after they fall in the hole are both pretty entertaining, but as I said they are kind of stuck together in a pretty strange way. Still good though.

4. "Into The Wild Green Yonder".
9/10. A very close second. Leo Wong is about to destroy half od the universe in order to make an Uber-golf course. Bender has an affair with the Don Bot's wife, Fry is recruited by a sttarnge cult because his brain may be a key to defeating evil and Leela joins a mouthy group of activists to try and stop Wong. The storylines all come together with funny consequences. I loved this one. Really funny and very well written.

So to summarize, if you're a faan and you've not seen these yet then whaat the hell are you waiting for? As always, the episodes get better when you watch them more than once and they are great just to have on in the background when you're working or something like that. If you like other shows like Family Guy or The Simpsons then I'm sure you'll enjoy these. If you've never watched anything like that, but enjoy a good bit of Sci-Fi or Fantasy then you may still enjoy these.

Just give them a try, they're a bargain for £15.
on 20 March 2013
This is a brilliant collection of the extended "Epics" and should keep you highly entertained with the usual eclectic cultural references, satire and ribaldry.
on 9 March 2014
I saw three of these movies on TV over Xmas, I wasn't a Futurama fan before this but I am now. These are excellent, well written and very funny with a brutal wit. Benders Big Score is the best but "The Beast with a Billion Backs" and "Into the Wild Green Yonder" run it close, really imaginative stories that don't let up for the duration and definitely not padded TV episodes.

So I brought the box set so I could see the one I missed, "Benders Game" and that's the only one I don't like. LOL! Maybe I'll get used to it but it's well worth having for the others.
on 14 January 2010
I won't comment on the actual movies themselves, you can look up the movies separate for that.

This is a VERY good deal, you literally get all four Futurama movies in the exact same boxes they would come in normally but slimline. All the packaging, special features and printed discs are identical and the only differences are the thickness of the cases, the fact that they come in a cardboard box as pictured and the fact that you are saving a lot of money!

Seriously though, this is the bargain of a lifetime and a must have for any futurama fan.
on 26 September 2012
I've loved Futurama forever, and enjoyed watching these feature-length episodes but found they weren't as funny as the shorter episodes. I found that after watching each film I forgot pretty quickly what had actually happened! They meander a bit, and can be overly plot-ty, whereas classic futurama episodes stay with me for years. Series 5 is better, i'd recommend watching that before these films.
on 3 April 2010
I'm a great fan of Futurama so I looked forward to watching the four specials in the box set. They are good, very good but...I think that possibly being that much longer than the TV shows, it is hard to keep the fast momentum going and I occasionly thought the pace slackened. Also, I believe when the specials are aired on TV, they will be cut into 4 parts and sometimes I could see where the seams were. Overall though, I would recommend this box set to anyone, Futurama fan or not.
on 13 January 2016
The Epics are not quite as good as the episodes. It feels like they couldn't find enough jokes and material to quite fit into 90 minutes, and 30 minutes feels more natural to this genre. But that aside these are far from poor. If you enjoy the series you will enjoy these, but maybe nor quite as much.
on 21 January 2016
For the devotees such as myself, Futurama is just brilliant and having a collected set is great. So very funny, but heart-warming at the same time in a very odd way.

I just wish that these "collected epics" were just part of the full set of series 1-8.
on 15 April 2010
As a long time Futurama fan (ever since it aired on Sky 1 in 1999), I was looking forward to these specials. But then I watched Bender's Big Score and I didn't find it anywhere near as good as the original TV series. It played like an episode stretched out rather than a feature-length special, the jokes and visual gags were sparse as the creators concentrated too much on plot. I then lost interest and didn't buy the other DVDs until Amazon priced this box set at a throw-away price.

The other three specials were hit and miss, but they did live up to my expectations more. The Beast With a Billion Backs was good, Bender's Game was very good for the first half and awful for the D&D inspired second half, and Into The Wild Green Yonder was the best of the lot. That said, I enjoyed The Simpsons Movie more than any of these specials, which as I usually greatly prefer Futurama over The Simpsons, says something.

Bender's Big Score - 2.5/5
The Beast With a Billion Backs - 3.5/5
Bender's Game - 3/5
Into The Wild Green Yonder - 4/5

So overall, if you are a Futurama fan then you should buy this box set just so you have seen them, and if you don't think that sounds like a ringing endorsement, its because it isn't. Here's hoping Season 5 is better.

Update: good news everyone, season 5 is much better and it looks stunning on blu-ray too!