Platform: PC|Edition: Standard Edition|Change

on 26 March 2011
Lets get one thing straight, this if no Far Cry killer. However, it isn't the junk that a lot of people seem to be making it.

I've played it for nearly 10 hours now, so am far enough in to comment properly on the gameplay. But first a word on the graphics. While they are certainly not state of the art, and some of the textures are a bit bland, I do think they get better as the game progresses. In fact the opening section appeared to have the worst textures. This makes no business sense but could explain some of the poor reviews. I tried that fix the other person posted in their review:

cl_fov=90
r_DrawNearFoV = 90
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov = 90
g_skipIntro=1

Basically, add the above to the system.cfg file of the Crysis 2 installation. (If you don't have the knowledge to find it you shouldn't be editing text files on your PC). I did that and it made a difference, but to be honest it screwed too much with the perspective for my liking. Perhaps I need to tweak it some more?

There was a time a few years ago when I had to have the latest graphics card. I no longer bother these days, as the amount I was paying was not being reflected in the increased quality of the graphics. My card is over a year old, and cost about £140 new. It runs this maxed out at 1920x1200 though, so I wouldn't worry too much if you have a fairly low powered rig.

So, what is the game itself like? I have to say that its pretty good. Its a decent FPS (not ground breaking though) that gives you plenty of freedom to run about, and, like Far Cry, gives you multiple ways of completing a task. So, given a task, you can go in with all guns blazing, use stealth and crawl along a ledge, launch a grenade attack, whatever.

The big difference to Far Cry and Crysis though, is that it insists on telling you that these options are available! Once you are aware that options exist, you can equip your magic goggles, and lo and behold, these options are highlighted for you. This sucks. The whole fun of Far Cry to me, at least on repeat playthroughs, was discovering new ways of doing the same thing. This has gone now, if you apply your goggles when advised. The secret is fairly straightforward though: don't use the goggles! Just because the game thinks you might need your hand held, doesn't mean you have to grasp the outstretched hand, so if you ignore it when prompted, you can still have repeat runthroughs where you take alternate routes.

The nanosuit has been simplified, and I don't have a problem with that to be honest. I thought the Nanosuit didn't add much to the Far Cry experience anyway.

There is a story to follow, if you like that sort of thing. I did at the start, but got bored following it and started skipping it where possible.

I will update this when I have finished the game, as the original Crysis had an awful final third. But from what I have found so far, this game is pretty good. It is by no means awesome, and certainly not in the same league as the original Far Cry, but it isn't the turkey people are claiming it to be here. If you want a more fun FPS, then try Bulletstorm, but if you've done that already, and want more FPS action, then you could do a lot worse than play this.

==================================================================================

Updated April 1st.

Right, I finished the game and am now on my second run through on the hardest level. The fact that I am replaying it immediately should give you some clue as to what I now think of the game. It really is very good indeed. Unlike the original Crysis, which had a very weak final third, Crysis 2 just gets better and better. It is action all the way, and is even better at the hardest level. I have upgraded my score to 5 stars because it really is excellent. It is easy to dismiss it after playing half an hour, but once you get into it the game is great fun. The tactical options become very easy to ignore and you can just pick your own path to play. Sometimes I chose the stealthy route, other times I went for all out war. This is well worth playing and shouldn't be dismissed just because it isn't a graphical benchmark tool. What it is is a very enjoyable game. I actually prefer it to Crysis, though not the original Far Cry.

And yes, of course I know that there was no nanosuit in Far Cry. First there was the original Far Cry experience, Crysis added the nanosuit to that. Happy to clarify that.
on 14 July 2011
Crysis 2 is top of its game. Superb levels that are interesting and always a challenge. Took a little while for me to get into this game though unlike the first Crysis which was much easier to pick up and play. Also number 2 seemed a lot shorter. Then again there is much more action in each level you never know whats coming next. Story line is brilliant as well carrying on from where the first game and warhead left off using Prophet as a key character.
Overall the best single player campaign since Crysis and COD4. As good as COD4 if not better. Definitely the top of the current crop of FPS games look forward to number 3 :)
on 23 September 2014
Managed to play it once for about 1/2 hour. Second attempt it wanted to download patch v1.9, so I let it and there it stayed, in and endless loop of wanting to download the patch and not letting me play the actual game. Not even setting the exe to run in Win7 compatibility mode or excluding it form DEP helped. Probably will uninstall and try installing again but stop it from updating itself.

UPDATE: Don't install the EA Download Manager at the end of the main game install. It shouldn't then want to download the update. Revised review from 1 star to 4 stars. It would get 5 stars if it wasn't for compatibility issues.
on 23 January 2013
My mid range pc win7
Dual Core Intel 2.60GHz
4 gig ram
Ati-AMD Radeon HD 6700

I thought it might not run well but wow it
Runs very well with great graphics-no probs as to game play I love it-didn't like dying a lot in one area as you can't save as you go
Console has been disabled so managed to find a mod file for the Nanosuit which gives you a bit more energy,
Stealth mode you still can die. Don't know about what it's all about as others have said
One time you're killing yanks then aliens love the guns- quite realistic.
I think at this price its worth a go- glad I did
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 June 2011
I'm not a die-hard gamer so may get slated for saying this but I really enjoyed Crysis 2. Prior to purchase I noticed that the reviews were not that good. When I first started the game I thought the graphics were not quite up to the level of the original Crysis. However, once I got into it I found the game really immersive and it certainly got the adrenalin flowing. Especially when you get to the alien shooting. They do make a satifying squelch when put a heavy duty machine gun round through their squidy heads. Plant a few lumps of C4 around the place and it's calamari for everyone. 5 star fun.
on 9 November 2011
I was a big fan of the Crysis 1 and Crysis Warhead games so started this game with cautious optimism. Fortunately I wasn't to be disappointed.

An excellent game, well worth playing if you're a fan of the series. The levels are more linear then the original and lacks the open ended design of that game (to about the same degree as Warhead IMV) but I didn't find that a problem since there's still plenty of room to maneuver and the action keeps your attention enough that you probably won't care. The story line is excellent with plenty of plot twists, the action is varied and fun, the graphics are detailed and the soundtrack is superb.

My only real complaints are the fact that it is a checkpoint save game (only saves when you reach checkpoints) which becomes annoying after a while. Also the cover system isn't perfect and can be hindered by objects (such as a wall or desk) getting in the way or the automatic lifting of your weapon when you come up to an object.

Can't comment on the multiplayer since I don't touch multiplayer games.

If you liked the first you will probably like this one.
on 24 October 2011
I had been looking forward to the next instalment of this class leading title. My wait was worthwhile, as this new version fulfilled my expectations in every way. I will not talk about plot, as it is much the same as the original with a few twists. What I will say is that the graphics have surpassed the original, without substituting atmosphere or playability. The Crysis suit version 2, has all of the features of the original, but can be used in a more efficient way. Stealth and strength mode can be switched instantly to help keep a low profile. There is a new 'Upgrade' path to each of the modes, which enhance an already excellent system. Glorious detail and seamless 'gameplay to video' sequence changes, help keep this game mesmerising throughout its 25 hour plus play through. Worth every penny. Don't make excuses, buy it now.
on 25 January 2013
OK, so here's why I bought it. It was £8. Also i'm bored of COD, I seriously don't think they've improved since MW2.

As for specs, it now supports dx11 and a hi res texture pack aswell as ultra settings, though I warn you, you'll need a good GPU to run these settings. I've an oc'd HD7850 2Gb.

The game itself plays smooth yet quick and looks amazing. The only downer is the console port check point system.

For £8, just buy it and try it.
on 5 April 2012
Okay, I'll admit the game does have some bad points. There seems to be a very basic storyline that repeats itself quite a lot. The game does also have good points though. The game speed is very fast and can run easily on my mid-range gaming computer. The game loads fast into missions and when logging in to the online multiplayer. The games design and thought is very good. Everything seems to of been covered that makes the game good. Great game, highly recommend it.
on 24 July 2011
Well, since Crytek did (possibly one of the best games ever) Far Cry back in 2005 or something, they have been busily creating more games. Crysis(1) was a move up from that, although not that much, but this game (Crysis2) has moved the goal posts even further apart. Great gameplay. Easy(ish) in recruit mode. Good storyline, and very good playability. Great range of weapons, and improves on Crysis (which you would expect).

Overall...worth the money.