5.0 out of 5 stars A triumph of story over game engine.
Published 15 months ago by F. Martin

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful delivery and graphics
I was looking forward to playing this game however it took seven day's until it finally got posted through my letter box. I played the game for a couple of hours before I couldn't stand it any longer, the graphics are of poor quality and sometimes the game will get disorientated.I was just hoping for a change from the PS4 for a week or so.
Published 3 days ago by Nathan Bullock

5.0 out of 5 stars A triumph of story over game engine., 31 May 2013
F. Martin (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon Age: Origins (PS3) (Video Game)
I have to confess that I came to this game late. In fact, it was immediately after sinking countless hours into Skyrim. Consequently I have some sympathy for the reviewers here who claim it's nothing like Skyrim. They're correct, it's an entirely different game ethos. It's not like any Bethesda game, nor is it like Dragon Age II in any other way than the lore. I had such a shock transition that at first I didn't like it at all. But something told me this game had hidden depths and I'm so glad I stuck with it. As with my other reviews, I'll try to give a female gamer slant to things.

What really shines in DA:O is the writing. The story is rich, full of political intrigue, backstabing, rich well developed companions and the best romance system in any RPG I've ever played (and I'm not talking about the sex scenes which admittedly are a bit comical at times). The combat is a bit clunky, the codex is badly designed for the quantity of wonderful lore that you collect, and the graphics are sub-par even when taking it's age into account. All of that is forgivable because of the writing.

Story? You design a character (can be female wahey!) and then pick an origin. This means you have several different locations and stories with which to start the game. A human noble starts in a castle with a story of political backstabbing. A Mage starts with a magic test in a demon realm. A dwarf starts undergound in a huge dwarven city. I think there are seven possibilties in total. My personal favourites were elven female mage, romancing Leliana and a human female noble, romancing Alistair (possibly one of the most rewarding romance options - I won't spoil it but I recommend being a human noble with high persuasion skill).

Romance? Deep, complicated enough that there are a few bugs with the approval system, well written, satisfying and best of all, very immersive. Bioware at it's best. Unlike DA:II you have to work at romances here and you can mess them up permanently if you say/do the wrong thing. As it should be really.

Story? Tons of lore, an engaging main quest with many branches, emotional well written endings of which there are many, determined by your choices throughout the game.

Loot? Good. You get to choose what your companions wear. Some of the mage gear, especially the headwear is a bit on the dorky side.

Game mechanics. You could write pages on the problems with the game mechanics from spell animations that stop you seeing anything (try having blood magic and arcane shield active at the same time). As a rogue I was constantly trying to position myself to get a good backstab position which was really clunky.

DLC (not included in this version).

Soldiers Peak. Short dungeon, but it does give you a party storage chest which really should be in the base game, and also some armour and blood mage robes depending on decisions you make. There's also a new ability to unlock.

Shale. Nice quirky new companion, couple of new dungeons to explore.

Awakening. Whole new map, main quest, side quests, loot, bossing people around, new companions. Nice extension to the main game.

Witch Hunt. More new dungeons but the ending lacks resolution.

There are also various add-ons like Feastday pranks which whilst worth having, are probably not worth paying for unless you want to play around with the in-game approval system.

So in summary, if you like a roleplaying game with a deep involving story with lots of lore and aren't too fussy about the game engine or pretty graphics, then this is a must-have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 24 Nov 2009
This review is from: Dragon Age: Origins (PS3) (Video Game)
In terms of story line, Dragon Age's is the tried and tested evil-horde-threatening-the-kingdom plot, with a dash of Machiavellian political ambition thrown in. But although the basic premise is pretty generic, the sub-plots, characters and locations are interesting enough to keep you engaged, and a good job has been done on fleshing out the NCPs who make up your party, particularly the often inane banter that goes on between them whilst you're wandering around exploring.

The game looks gorgeous, particularly on a nice big HD TV, with good textures, facial animations and motion-captured movements. Voice acting is also done well, and the background noises and echoes establish atmosphere nicely. There are also some good cut sequences early on, which help to drive the story along.

The default difficulty level (which can be adjusted) I found to be pitched just right - in the early stages your characters feel pretty puny, and you need to take care to save often (actually this is a good tip generally), but it's not long before the levels start racking up, along with improved equipment and allies. If you lose a battle it's often because you've got your tactics wrong rather than being completely out-classed, so a quick re-think often pays dividends. The distribution of goods is also well-handled, and when you find a good piece of kit, it's usually because you've done something to deserve it.

I had my reservations about buying Dragon Age on the PS3, as I've never played an RPG on a console before, and wasn't sure the PS3 controller would allow the kind of control that a mouse and keyboard do. However, having played about ten hours of this game I think Bioware have done a good job of creating an interface which gets around the limitations of console controllers.

The radial menu which is used in combat and for creating items or using skills is well-designed (I found it easier to adjust the settings so that it stays open when activated, and can be toggled close using the L2 button), and allows the player to make multiple tactical decisions during combat. This is especially important against tougher opponents and for queueing up spells. Those that prefer to avoid menus (even the graphic, easy-to-use type) can assign up to 6 specific talents and skills per character to the controller's hot keys instead though.

I'm giving this game four stars - it would have got five if the story and world of Dragon Age had been designed with a tad more originality to it. However, if you're a fan of fantasy RPGs I doubt that this will bother you, and either way Bioware have promised to release plenty of additional downloadable content over the next couple of years and, away from the constraints of the game's mega-plot, I'm expecting them to use this opportunity to create smaller, quirkier and more interesting new stories in future.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little effort required, 2 Dec 2009
This review is from: Dragon Age: Origins (PS3) (Video Game)
If you like the look and sound of this game then you should take a few things into consideration,firstly its by no way a pick up and play for an hour while the Missus goes shopping,it does require your full and undivided attention,secondly there is lots of story,I mean dialogue,reading notes,and backround to N.P.C's so much so that you will know what they had for tea last night! And thirdly if you are new to to this genre like me then you need a great deal of patience,and you will be rewarded with a game that you actually feel involved in,which actually gives a sense of reward and at times will suck you in and destroy any social life you had!

Ok,the graphics are not up there with say Uncharted 2 and Modern Warfare 2,the voice acting is in parts shocking(the first few hours are the worst),but as the game unfolds like a good book it draws you in and will leave you wanting more when you finally realise its gone 3am!

Give it time and I promise it will take over your life,oh and I give my humble opinon after playing it on my PS3,and take my advice and get Wardens Keep,its an ideal place to stash your equipment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Judge a Book By it's Cover.., 23 Nov 2009
This review is from: Dragon Age: Origins (PS3) (Video Game)
This will be a rather short review so anyone looking for a bulkier effort should head on over to gamespot for the most accurate review i've seen online for this title.

THE GOOD.
--Deep, deep, deep: from outstanding flawed but awesomely cool characters to a huge backstory that you can delve into at your leisure by picking up and reading in game tomes and literature. This is one that you can get lost in and you'll never want to find your way out again.
--The voice acting and emotive characters are second only to Mass Effect.
--Huge map with glorious locals you actually want to explore in great depth - so it's a good job you can!
--Interesting quests that can go many different ways depending on your actions and reactions.
--Depending on your class, gender and race you will be treated differently everywhere you go - i've only tested the difference between city elf and human noble so far but you'll soon be getting into character and getting up in arms as you're looked down on for being a certain sex or a knife ears (elf).
--The first battle cut scene is massive and stunning!
--The music also follows suit and adds to the atmosphere no end.
--Great abilities, skill, spells and all manner of armour and weapons.
--Amazing party dynamics - you choose how you get along with each character (you can even offer gifts) and each character interacts with each other through a myriad of travel conversations that range from the serious to the hilarious.
--The gore, as childish as this may seem, adds a nice viceral feel to combat - trust me I never thought a beheading could be so extremely satisfying!
--Loads of nice downloadable content already which bodes well for future support in expanding this amazing rpg experience and world.

THE BAD
--A lot, and I do mean a lot of the graphics are seriously dull and even stretch into being down right awful at times - this doesn't go for it all, there are moments when the game shines but it's never going to contend with some of the prettier titles out there.

CONCLUSION:
Love RPG's - buy it now, don't like RPG's this will change your mind for ever. The best thing since Oblivion!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragon Age: Origins changed my view on console RPG games, 12 Jan 2010
J. De Ruijter (Rotterdam, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon Age: Origins (PS3) (Video Game)
What do I think about this game?

Pros:
* great graphics
* storyline is really intense
* morale questions really make you pause and think about you actions
* highly addictive
* well worked out party members
* a lot of quests to do

Cons:
* no speech for the main character
* radial menu could have been better worked out

This game is a great experience and one of the best RPG's I played!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best RPG for PS3 since Oblivion!, 9 Dec 2009
Bruce "from Brighton" (UK - England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dragon Age: Origins (PS3) (Video Game)
After the disappointment of Sacred 2 I was beginning to think we weren't going to get another decent RPG for the PS3. Sacred was pretty, but terrible to play! This game draws you in and takes a bit of work at the beginning, but after that it is incredibly addictive and immersive and I stopped playing Uncharted 2, to concentrate on this one!

I have seen people talk about the graphics - they aren't pretty, but then it seems to be part of the atmosphere of the game, which is that the world has been taken over by an insidious evil - and especially when you are in the Fade, the graphics have a primitive but dream-like quality, which is entirely appropriate.

I like the fact that the game is a lot about talking and you can actually avoid hard battles by tricking enemies into letting you past - then have an easier battle, due to your cunning! It's not just about bludgeoning your way through. I can appreciate that this may seem dull to younger players who are used to first-person shooters - but this is what makes RPGs distinctive - you have to think about what you are doing and it is all like a big multi-dimensional puzzle!

There is a lot to find out about and I also like the fact that you can download more content - not usually a feature on PS3 - and I can even see myself starting this again with a new character, as each party member is interesting and you want to play as other types.

I think the characterisation is a big part of what makes this work - good voice acting and nice use of accents, along with real stories, mean it's not just pointless hack and slash - plus I was truly surprised when party members started to question my decisions and not just act like robots, like in similar games!

Overall this bodes well for RPGs on the PS3 and I am looking forward to more in the new year - it's great playing this kind of game on a big HD TV and getting really caught up in it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A cross between Oblivion and Lord of the Rings, 13 Jan 2010
Mr. J. Potter (Preston, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon Age: Origins (PS3) (Video Game)
This is actually a really enjoyable game. What this game isn't is a mammoth sand box game with the complexity of Elder Scrolls Oblivion. It's kind of like a hybrid between Oblivion and the Lord of the Rings series of games where basically you just run around killing Goblins.

The interactivity between you and the many followers you acquire as you complete various quests is excellent and keeps you wanting to get to the next stop on the map.

Really enjoyable, doesn't take itself too seriously, looks and plays well and most importantly makes you want to play it again and again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful delivery and graphics, 27 Aug 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best RPG I have ever played., 4 Jan 2010
This review is from: Dragon Age: Origins (PS3) (Video Game)
I was a PC gamer. But i got my PS3 for the Blurays. Then as my PC was out of date decided to try a game i would usually play on the PC for the PS3 rather than upgrade. And I have not been disappointed. Bioware historically are at the forefront of the RPG genre (see Baldur's Gate I and II for examples) and so I was expecting something spectacular from this release.
The graphics (contrary to some reviews) are good, but it is the story which makes an RPG and the story in Dragon Age is phenomenal. Not since the aforementioned Baldurs Gate II have I been so impressed. The attention to detail for Dragon is too mightily impressive. There are no generic faces for random civilians and the developers have employed more voice actors than you would have thought makes economical sense so that so far i have not encountered someone with the same voice. Add this to a very workable combat system and varied set of items and weapons and I would have to say this is just about the best game I have ever played.
If you like RPG's, and if you had any liking for Baldurs Gate or Neverwinter nights this game will blow you away... On any format.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game!, 25 Mar 2010
Ej Carter "Emily" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon Age: Origins (PS3) (Video Game)
Ok so I'm writing this review based on the fact that I have played Oblivion and Fallout 3 (if you like RPGs and not played them then - what the hell are you waiting for!?) and I wanted a game similar to that to play on PS3.

Ok this game hasn't got the graphics or total freedom of Oblivion and Fallout - but they are still very very good, I didn't really notice at all. But instead this game has great little features that made it really quite fun to play.

The game seems to focus on the people in your party quite a lot..the dialogue between them is really funny at times. Aside from the main quest and all the side quests. In what other game can you have a moan about your other party members, the choice of same sex relationships and give your pals gifts and actually see their face light up!?

Lots of cut scenes and cinematic clips - makes it more real and gives you more understanding of the story and the characters, and made me feel like I was fully in the thick of it.

For me the best part about this game is the multitude of decisions you get to make. And literally so many different things happen because of your decisions. This is a huge bonus for me because when I start to play it for the second time in a minute, I know I will have a totally different story/game then what I did last time.

So basically if you liked Fallout and Oblivion, buy this game its the same old thing with a few refreshing surprises.

I hope they do a second game because I will be buying it 100%, totally enjoyed it!.

Dragon Age: Origins (PS3)
Dragon Age: Origins (PS3) by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)
11.63