Platform: Xbox 360|Change

on 6 March 2013
I was skeptical of this game ever since the trailer was shown at E3, but after completing it my doubts have diminished.
Konami was willing to take a risk with this game unlike many big publishers that too often release many of the same genre titles again and again each year, but never any original experiences. This fast paced title is a welcome change.

There are a lot of hidden tasks throughout the game such as finding the VR missions, men hiding in boxes, protecting the civilians and collecting limb data, harder than you think.
I could write about every little detail put into this game, but it needs to be experienced. Your gameplay reward experience will depend on how you play the game, it's got great replay value.
There are a lot of small throwbacks to the MGS series and a couple of characters, but nothing big, this game is perfect for players who aren't familiar with the franchise.

Pros:
Lightning fast action, never a dull moment.
Innovative mechanics.
Stunning visuals, attention to detail.
Don't need to be familiar with the MGS story.
Great replay value for a single player game.
Fantastic soundtrack!

Cons:
Stealth-wise, may be too unfamiliar for Metal Gear Solid fans.
Steep difficulty curve for other difficulties.
Story mode could have lasted longer (still great)
Cut-scene near the end is too perverted and out-of-place for a worldwide audience.

Buy this game if you want to try something new. If you're going to complain that this isn't a Metal Gear Solid game, or even give it a chance, then your setting yourself up for disappointment...
on 8 March 2013
Firstly , if you're looking for a Metal Gear Solid game, this isn't it. Platinum games do it again with their amazing brand of over the top action and 3rd person combat. Play as Raiden, the cyborg ninja, slice enemies and objects into 100's of pieces, a easy to learn, hard to master combat system, and one of the best end boss fights i've seen in a long time. This is NOT a stealth tactics game, this is a pure action thriller. Definitely worth buying if only for the fact you can slice anything into bits!!
on 14 March 2013
I am very new to the Metal Gear franchise and have this is the first Metal Gear game I have played. MAN WAS I IMPRESSED! I was a big fan of 'Ninja Gaiden 2' and thought nothing else could give me that style of play and I was seriously bummed when 'Ninja Gaiden 3' turned out to be a shocker. This game is fantastic and even better than 'Ninja Gaiden 2' in my opinion! Ninja Gaiden 2's main theme was the difficulty, there was even an achievement for dying a set number of times! Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is different as it can be difficult at times, mainly pertaining to the bosses. I feel MGRR is better as there is a lack of 'artificial difficulty', Ninja Gaidens bosses seemed like a dice roll, you had to get lucky to beat some of them, a lot of the tacks were unblockable, some bosses did lame grapple moves that were impossible to avoid or they flat out started juggling you in the air with a long combo. This meant that a lot of the time you could only win when the boss on the 67th try decided not to grapple you, or you managed to win cheaply by spamming an aerial dive while dodging attacks. In MGRR the bosses are hard and have their combos as hard attacks but you don't win through luck but skill, attacks are either blockable or dodgable and it really feels like a good fight when you go to and fro blocking each others attacks and parrying each other.

The graphics are fantastic, the gore is effective and I like it. The physics are unrivalled, I like the realism that comes with slashing things and them falling into pieces that exactly resemble the shape you cut into them, blade mode is very fun! The story is very cool and compelling and I actually liked watching the cut scenes for once. I thoroughly recommend this game if you liked Ninja Gaiden 2 purely due to the similarities, they are both fantastic but in my opinion this one is better, but the campaign does feel a bit short ( relatively so 7 hours or so). I reckon this is because I liked it so much I had to play it through in practically one sitting.

There is a great RPG element to the game as you can unlock new weapons and upgrades and suit upgrades, this is good as it give you an incentive to go back and redo some missions to earn more BP to buy upgrades with as at first you probably won't get very good combat scores. I strongly recommend this game to anyone who likes Ninja Gaiden and possibly God of War and Devil May Cry, generally any fan of hack and slash adventure games. I wouldn't buy it if you are a steadfast shooter fan as you don't really get to use guns, the whole game mostly focuses on swordplay, with practically all enemies and bosses using mostly melee attacks and utilising swords.

If you are new to the genre and want a good introduction this is the game for you! If you were hoping for split-screen or on-line multi-player I regret to inform you there is none. I advise anyone who is already interested in the game to go ahead and buy it!
on 8 March 2013
Okay, firstly, there are probably going to be a lot of die hard traditional MGS fans looking or playing this game and thinking, "This isn't MGS, its nothing like MGS, its rubbish!"

And yes, if you compare the game play to the traditional direction of the MGS series, it is NOTHING like it.

BUT, and its a big but... putting aside any MGS preconceptions, this is a fantastic action game, and there can be no argument about that. True, its on the short side, but only in the same way as other platinum games, Vanquish & Bayonetta... i.e. you'll have great fun with it along the way.

Also, a few people are commenting that there is no skill involved in the game play, I have to say, I disagree with that. True, you could probably get through the bulk of the game by mindlessly 'bashing' buttons, but you'd miss all the subtle combat techniques that are in there, the countering, the kill moves, triggering the slow-mo and cutting the enemy to ribbons, quite literally! Fantastic stuff.

People who put a lot of time into traditional MGS titles don't hate this because it isn't MGS, they hate it because its not the same style of game. MGS is a more tactical 3rd person action adventure, this, this is full on action... and that's it, it makes no excuses, it never says that it is going to be anything other than that. So, maybe, more 'hard core' MGS fans shouldn't buy this game and maybe just stick to their preferred genre. But, if your a fan of Platinum, or great action games... you will not regret buying this game.

Also, I will say this... a game isn't a bad game because it doesn't last for 60+ hours. Some people don't have masses of free time available to them to dedicate to playing games anyway. Shorter games are just as valid, if a game is good, a game is good, it doesn't matter if it lasts 1 hour or 100 hours.... the main thing, is that it is enjoyable along the way. And personally, I think this is, very enjoyable.

Great stuff, keep up the good work Platinum games!
on 16 October 2014
I'm a massive fan of MGS and Kojima in general so I didn't hesitate to download the demo for the upcoming Metal Gear game 'Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance'.

At first I was very surprised by the game's lack of stealth elements (though there are some) and the focus on the Devil May Cry hack'n'slash genre though I really liked the change for a Metal Gear spin off series. However, my main concerns were in the demo's hard difficulty which at first put me off buying the game.

But I am so glad that after a while I decided to purchase the game and have an amazing time playing it! Not only do you quickly adapt to the difficulty when playing the game from its beginning to the end (not like the demo), you also become engrossed in the great Kojima storytelling, characters that aren't two dimensional, boss fights with tense over-the-top enemies that you would battle in games like Bayonetta and Dark Souls, great extra content for playability and of course Jetstream Sam - one of the coolest antagonists in any videogame.

If you're a fan of Metal Gear, a fan of hack'n'slash games, a fan of games with some difficulty to them or you just love hacking to pieces anything and everything that stands in your path then I strongly recommend this game but even if you're not a fan of those things this game still has great artwork at times, amazing dialogue and very interesting themes (such as ethics, war crimes, nihilism, identity and justice to name a few).

All in all it is definitely not the best Metal Gear game but it is still an outstanding game even with in comparison to other Metal Gear games included, it's unconventional, obscure and unexpected for it's series yet this game is its own little master piece.
on 26 February 2013
I Pre-ordered this simply because I am a Metal Gear fan and proud, I thought even though I am a huge fan that I most likely wouldn't like this because I'm not a huge fan of hack n slash games. However this works brilliantly and reminds you of challenging fun games I'm glad they don't have a "block" button or a "dodge" button, instead you have to time your action button press and press it in the direction the attack is coming from. At first it is a little tricky but once you get the hang of it there is a real sense of achievement. That is one of the things this game rewards, multiple playthroughs and mastering the gameplay.

I half expected some cameos from some old MGS characters and more lure from the past games sadly there wasn't really any to mention barring 1 which I wont mention.

The story and gameplay is over the top and ridiculously stupid and crazy, that is how it is meant to be and it doesn't pretend it isn't. It is not a Metal Gear Solid game and it does not have a deep story like that series does, if you don't expect it to be Metal Gear Solid you will most likely enjoy this game.

My only real criticism is that it is so short, you can get through it in 5-7 hours easy and an easy 5 hours if you skip cut scenes and rush it. However as I said there is replay value and the challenge of higher difficulty levels. There are also quite a few unlockables to get from weapons to costumes to wigs yes wigs! then of course you have VR missions.

Kojima said if this does well then there will be a sequal, I vote yes to a sequal!
on 18 February 2014
What can I say about this game...it's amazing. It doesn't spoon feed you anything, you're left to work out pretty much everything for yourself! I love that, it made the game more interesting and challenging! A lot of people will probably hate due to the difficulty level, but I like a challenge. It takes a while to learn how to Parry, a core game mechanic, and takes even a bit longer to master it. This move is fundamental to succeeding in the game and the fact that the game doesn't exactly make it clear how to do it will turn a lot of people off. Blade mode is fantastic, cutting people into hundreds of tiny bits and then ripping out their cyborg spines has never been so fun! The soundtrack is amazing as well, fitting in perfectly with the game and adding to the already high awesome level! This isn't a stealth game, this is an action game. The plot is pretty meh and the story only lasts about 4-5 hours on normal mode, but it has heaps of replay value. The DLC for the game is also free, which allows you to play as Jetstream Sam and Bladewolf. I recommend this to anyone who likes a game that isn't easy, but not to people who aren't very good or get annoyed at games easily. You will probably quit at the first boss...or even before that. The boss fights, thats another awesome thing. So much awesome in this game! Hope a new one comes out on next gen systems for the increased graphics and frame rate! The game does have a few frame rate drops.
on 2 January 2014
If you enjoyed any of the other games they have made, you're sure to like this. For a metal gear solid fan, do not expect it to be like the other games in the series.
All the trademarks of platinum are there; over-the-top action and set pieces, cheesy dialogue and a well designed fight system.
The mechanical design is also pretty damn good- raiden looks awesome, as do the rest of the cyborg cast.
The blade cutting destruction is very well used, and a few more games would be well to use something similar.

The only faults I can find is the repetativeness, and the length of the game- I completed the main story in just over 4 hours. This being a metal gear game though, it does warrant more than one playthrough to find all the hidden extra's that are found in the series, and taking time to master the fight system would take a while. The steath sections are a bit dodgy,too- it is a metal gear games afterall, but you can ignore them and carry on if you choose to. There are also a lot of VR missions that are unlocked through the story mode, along with (now free) DLC that will add a few more hours to the game.
I gave this four stars because it's not perfect, but it is very, very good. If you liked this, I recommend vanquish (from the same game studio) which I found to be even better.
on 23 January 2015
A fair amount of different reviews have been already given to this game, however few make it justice.
When I first heard/saw the game, I wasn't sure what to expect, so I didn't get as hyped as some MGS-fans. That being said, I don't consider myself as an all-time MGS-fan, as I've mostly played the older titles (PS1 / PS2).
MGR - Revengeance is a breath of fresh air to the MGS-series - in my opinion. Detaching itself from the all-to well-known genre of stealth/espionage, Revegeance is on par with titles such as Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, with some God of War-aspects thrown in it. And much like the a fore-mentioned titles, there is a lot of slashing, hacking and shooting with quick-time events concluding in great display of a skill/kill.
Much can be said about Revengeance, but it's still pretty solid. Offering a variety of combos and attacks, whereas severing and dismembering of enemies is highly, you'll quickly find your pace of the game.
The graphics are decent (30-fps on console vs 60+ on PC), the controls are fluent (joypad/controller is highly recommended) and the gameplay is awesome.
I'd definitely recommend it for lovers of action/hack'n'slash/RPG/DmC/GoW-series
on 22 February 2013
Metal Gear Rising turned out to be everything I wanted and more. As a fan of the Metal Gear series I had my doubts as to whether anyone but Kojima Productions could really handle an entry in the series but after seeing the first beta gameplay videos.. let's just say I'm glad they handed it over to Platinum Games. They've done more than justice to the franchise, they've allowed people to play Raiden exactly as they wanted, exactly how they saw him fight in MGS4's cutscenes. An extremely agile cyborg ninja that is more than capable of fighting large groups of enemies (once you figure out the parry and dodge techniques) and he controls exquisitely, you feel like a super hero when playing.

The story is spot on, too. It's a good thing that they moved it from in between the second and fourth games to after the fourth because it's given them so much more creative freedom, not to mention how they can get away with all the visceral gore because everyone you kill is either a robot or an evil cyborg and not "really" human. The nuances are all there, the in-jokes, the subtleties, even the same patterns of story progression. If you're as much of a fan of Metal Gear as I am, you'll notice these within the first hour of gameplay.

So it's all there. It's Metal Gear, but taken in a new and refreshing direction. The stealth isn't all gone mind you, that's taken over by the brilliantly adorable Dwarf Gekko units. Kojima should be proud, Platinum Games have done fantastically well and I hope it sells enough to fund a sequel.