5.0 out of 5 stars Forza 3 review
Forza 3 is probably the best racing sim out this generation. With stunning visuals, great gameplay and strong controls. This is a must have for any 360 owner and i will explain why:

Graphics:
The graphics look really smooth and sleek. All the textures and surfaces look like the real thing. And the detail inside the cars is immaculate. Not to mention the...
Published on 2 Dec. 2009 by R. Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars Spoiled by online play
I looked forward to this game, played the demo, parted with my cash, even bought a steering wheel.
The game is good fun to play. The graphics and sound are good and there's more than enough cars. You can pick any car you want to drive and just dive in or you can go into career mode and work your way up through the classes.
Apart from some of the worst AI drivers...
Published on 19 Nov. 2009 by Buster Blister

‹ Previous | 1 2 322 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the all time great driving games, 13 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Forza Motorsport 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This is of course now an old game. However I have just bought another copy as my last disc had gone out of balance for some reason. This new one is very quiet in the machine, in fact the best copy I have ever had and this is my 4th.

The driving style is slightly less responsive than Forza 4 but the average person would be hard pressed to notice. The Graphics are not quite as good, the pictures you take are not as good as 4 and the design studio is not as comprehensive. However, personally I find the colours better in 3 than 4.

In Forza 4, where I am at driver level 400, so I have played it a bit (LOL) you have reached as high as you can get when you reach level 50 for the marque of car. That covers all cars of that marque.

In Forza 3 each separate car has an attainment level of 5. Having gone back to play Forza 3, and I played it as much as I have Forza 4, there are still loads of cars I can score points for. Unlike in Forza 4 where that is starting to be somewhat limited to the marques with only 1, 2 or 3 cars. It is a shame however that Forza 3 only goes to driver level 50, which I must have hit 5 years ago now, whereas they adjusted Forza 4 to driver level 999 I believe.

The main issue with Forza 3 as compared to Forza 4 is how difficult it is to build points to gain vehicles. I bought the DLC on 4 but you could easily obtain cars by simply racing. I have 500 cars in the garage which is the limit. With Forza 3 I have now had to sell half the cars in my garage to buy some others, even though I am still earning points. That would not have been necessary in 4.

If you haven't played Forza 3, you should. If you have played Forza 4 and left Forza 3 behind, I suggest you go back and re-visit it.

I have been enjoying it and now remember how much I like the background menu music over Forza 4. In 3 you also have the full Italian Rivera course and New York, both of which I like a lot and really missed in Forza 4. Forza 5 apparently has even less tracks.

Myself I have yet to try Forza 5 because until XBone becomes much cheaper, I won't be buying one. I do not like being ripped off. If I had been able to play Forza 3 & 4 and my many other Xbox 360 games on it I probably would have one by now... but not when you have to start from scratch.

All in all... Forza 3, worth every penny. It's graphics are still better than the newish Grid Autosport.

I come back to Forza 3 & 4 all the time. Both quite brilliant imo.

5.0 out of 5 stars A universally accessible racing game, 30 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Forza Motorsport 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Forza 3 may not have the name recognition of the PlayStation's Gran Turismo, but in it's third incarnation the game is surely the finest racing game I've played.

The game's success lies in managing to tread the line between full on racing simulator, where gear ratios can be set and downforce tinkered with, and a fun game that doesn't require any specific knowledge of cars. For the most part Forza walks this path incredibly successfully. Anyone can turn on the game, buy a car and get racing. The assists (gameplay settings that make driving easier or harder) are easy to toggle on and off and it's normally clear what difference they'll make.

The game's mechanics work well too - you'll progress through races in short series which saves you getting too worried about the outcome of any particular race, and the ability to rewind the race prevents a last lap mistake from ruining a three-race championship.

The graphics are excellent - the cars look real and the courses superb. Perhaps the greatest compliment to make is that the visuals are so good that you barely notice them - it doesn't look like a computer game. The sound is perhaps not quite up to the same standard, but in all the experience is extremely impressive.

The game has some minor flaws. Cars do perform differently (and there are lots of cars from which to pick), but the option to upgrade cars means that it's not always obvious what the point of the selection is. If I can upgrade a Fiesta so that it accelerate like a high-end Porsche it does somewhat make the car selection seem a little redundant. In addition, those used to games like GRID and DIRT will find the game a little more sterile - there's no interaction with other drivers and the game can, in an odd way, feel a little lonely at times.

Despite these minor misgivings this is the racing game that has kept me playing for longest (well perhaps excluding Burnout 2: Point of Impact (GameCube)) and deserves a place it anyone's collection. If you're going to buy then the Ultimate condition contains a load more cars, so get that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing!, 18 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Forza Motorsport 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I have had this game ever since it's release date on the 23rd October 2009, and I have to say, it is one of the very few games I have EVER had, that has not been crippled by bugs or other disappointments. This for me is fantastic as nowadays we all pay such a lot of money for games, and more often than not games fall below the standard we all expect.

Graphics
---------

The most fantastic feature of this game is without doubt the graphics, they are so, so smooth and well done. Every car and every track has been modeled to exquisite detail and it really adds to the enjoyment that you get out of the game, along with it's very extensive collection of tracks and cars. The interior modeling of the cars also deserves praise, as pretty much every car has working diles, speedometer, revcounter etc.

Gameplay
---------

The gameplay is also very fun, the amount of control which you are given is absolutely fantastic. You are given various levels of difficulty whether it be having to change gear, or whether you have traction control on. The remarkable thing about this game is, that every car feels slightly different, and every car is a different experience and this also adds to the enjoyment. When it comes to the career, this is also very enjoyable, but be warned, it does get extremely repetitive if you are thinking of completing the game, as I have. It takes a lot of hours.

-----------
Multiplayer
-----------

Now for me the multiplayer Is the only feature of this game which I detest. Some people may say, "it's only because you're rubbish" but I deflect such criticism on the grounds that, when playing online, it is not so much a race, it's a case of "dodge cars" you try taking a corner perfectly, hitting the apex, and you get rammed of the track from behind. This for me has spoiled multiplayer. Though having said that, the game modes are very extensive and varied, so it's not all bad on the multiplayer side!

-------------
Auction House
-------------

The auction house is a fantastic option to have in this game, you sell cars, you buy cars. Paint-jobs, tuning setups and vinyl designs, the are all found here. Aa important factor for the auction house and indeed the online community at large, is the balancing of money. While Turn 10 have done their best to counteract hackers/ glitchers etc, people still have found ways around the system. So for example one person was boasting that the had 800 Million credits, which is just stupid!

Overall, I would say that this game deserves:

Career - 18/20 (Very good, but gets boring and repetitive very quickly)
Multiplayer - 15/20 (While there ARE good modes, it is crippled by unsporting players and hackers)
Graphics - 20/20 (First Class job)
Sound - 20/20 (It's always good to hear a Bugatti or a Lamborghini!)
Enjoyment - 18/20 (Great to play with friends online or split screen, and generally a very immersive game)

Overall - 91/100 (A* Grade)

Thanks for reading, as always any help or questions are welcomed!

Hamster.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is not motorsport, 3 Sept. 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Forza Motorsport 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
For those of you that enjoy motorsport - be warned - the title is grossly misleading. Yes - there are races. And yes - he who crosses the line first is the winner, but that's about as 'sport' as it gets.

It follows the same tedious path that was tediously laid by Gran-boring-Turismo, only it manages to be about seven hundred times more offensive.

It starts well, offering a career mode, which is all well and good although you begin by driving the kind of thing your nan would use for shopping. I begrudginly proceed, hoping to get the initiation over quickly. Once past the loading screen - having aged a decade - I look around for the qualifying option... can't see it. How about the Practice option? Nope, can't see that either. So you're thrust upon the tarmac with no idea whether the track goes left or right at the first corner, and if you don't like starting at the back of the grid - tough - that's where you are due to the complete absence of qualifying.

So someone's nan lends you their Toyota Yaris and it rolls up to the grid spot, revving itself silly. As you're basking in the coolness of the moment and the counter ticks down... 3..VROOM...2...VROOOOOM..1... you realise it's only in the last second that you're given control of the throttle, making a decent getaway hurried and awkward. Personally, given the choice, I'd rather have control of the throttle myself and be able to put the revs where I want them for the start than listen to what sounds like someone trying to pull off in neutral.

I'm pleased to say that the physics are fantastic - the cars actually feels like they're connected to the road and the handling is consistent and precise. I could launch into a rant on the hand-holding nature of the game but that would be unfair, seeing as you can turn all of the assists off, as I did. But it'd also be unfair not to mention the rewind feature - if you make a mistake (heaven forbid) you can simply rewind to the moment before your shameful error - and try that corner again, hoping that no one saw your original mistake and decides to throw you down a well. I look forward to Forza Motorsport 4's Make All The Cars in Front Go Slower feature.

Anyway once the grid has shaken itself out and you have a car in your sights it's time to start chasing them down. Make a mental note of the split and try to reduce it bit by bit - learn the limits of the car, learn the track, take some risks, change your line, hit your apexes and watch the split come down. Unfortunately before you can even think about chasing anyone the race is over - the tracks are pitifully short and the number of laps you're given are far too few to be called a race. It's nothing but a slightly prolonged grid shakedown. And if they wanted to be stingy with the laps - why not give us the chance to qualify? On the harder difficulty it takes some time to reach the guys in front - two or three laps is rarely enough.

I'm not sure what their objection is to long races - even on single races outside of career mode you're not allowed more than two or three laps.

I could never say it was a bad game - it's just not motorsport.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets the balance between realism and fun just about right, 16 Aug. 2010
Mark Poles (Cornwall, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forza Motorsport 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
An XBox 360 driving game, and a brilliant one at that. I have been playing it to death recently. Lots of tracks (some real*, some fictional) and a huge range of cars (all real). You can start off with small hatchbacks (my first car was a Toyota Yaris) and gradually move up towards proper racing cars. As you compete and win races, you get experience points and every few races, you'll get enough XP to go up a level. At that point, you get given another car to race. You also win money, which you can use to buy cars. This gives you a nice mix of cars that you perhaps wouldn't have tried (for example I actually had some fun in a god-awful 1970s Plymouth Barracuda (hideous American muscle coupe) and getting cars that you really wanted (I went and bought my last two real-life cars to race - in the same colours I had them). Each car handles differently (and the two that I've owned in real life accelerate and handle just like I'd expect them to) and even the dashboards are accurately modelled. So if you drive a Honda S2000 for example (my previous car), the speedometer and rev counter is the same electronic one you get in real life.

Usually in racing games, the thrills come from overtaking other cars. That is there in Forza too, but the handling model is so good that there are thrills from just knowing you've got the right line through a tricky corner. I honestly don't remember ever having so much fun with a driving game, and I've played a hell of a lot of them over the last quarter of a century.

* Including Le Mans and the Nurburgring. The latter is really challenging.

Bad points - in multiplayer, it's difficult to find the type of game you want, and human opponents almost always choose the best cars they can meaning that you have to too if you don't want to get left behind. Oh, and it's always dry and sunny. Weather effects and night-time racing would add a lot to the game.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it should have been, 4 Mar. 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Forza Motorsport 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Having only got myself an Xbox 360 the Christmas before last, one of the first games I got was Forza 2. Now I did play this for hours on end but found that some areas of it were lacking (eg. tedium of going through the various events with no real variety, small number of tracks).

I HAD hoped that many of these issues would be rectified in Forza 3, and to a certain extent they have. The career mode is a good idea and could have made me add an extra star to my review score were it not for the fact that it only really works for the first couple of seasons. I found that while it did provide me with a good selection of events to start off with, once I got to season 4/5 it persisted in giving the same events, just in different car classes - for example on completing one event I was invited to choose between doing the same "Super Lap Days" event at the Nurburgring in either a class D, C or B car!

Furthermore, there are simply far too many events with no real variety to them. It's all very well having all those cars but what you end up with is the same drive round a circuit (which never alters in any way due to there being no night/day or weather effects) just done with different cars. There is no real incentive to pursue all these events after completing about half of them, not even to gain money as in a slightly bizarre move, Turn 10 made all the cars available to drive in "free play" mode - so no having to save up to find out just exactly how that classic 60's GT40 drives, just go and drive it in free play!

The graphics are undoubtedly an improvement, draw distances are longer, textures are higher res. But anyone looking for visuals approaching the standard of GT5 Prologue (or indeed GT5 when it's released) will be disappointed. The in-car view is a welcome addition but, again, it isn't done as well as it should have been. For instance, there is no windshield effect, ie. no reflections of light or dirt, cracks etc, so when you're driving along it feels like you're driving a car with no windshield at all! Now I'm no GT5 fanboy (GT5 Prologue had its fair share of bugs and problems as well) but I couldn't help be disappointed.

However, for me, the biggest disappointment is the online play. It just seems to have taken a huge step backwards, seemingly to appease the non-driving sim gamers out there. The problems as I see them are:

01. Inability to customise public online play - you get the choice of circuit / drag / drift (and some others, including more lighthearted, arcadey modes like tag etc) and car class (when playing circuit mode) but NOTHING else! You can't select which track you'd like to play (which often leads to a free-for-all when people keep voteing to skip the track the game auotomatically gives you). You can't select restrictions on car PI or make, model, country etc. You can't even turn the damage on in public online play! Fundamentally, you can't force people to adopt stock tuning, which very often makes selecting the standard cars, and not ones from your garage which you've tuned in career mode, pointless as you're put immediately at a disadvantage.

02. Getting into an online game - I have had so much trouble just getting into a game, and it's not like I have a slow internet connection. Frequently unless I opt for the "quick race" option (in which I have even LESS say in the race I'm about to enter than in the game modes I mentioned above) I'm unlikely to get into a game at all. Of course, if it can't find a suitable game, it'll put me into a game session of my own to wait for other players to enter (which they do but then very often leave when they see the session only has one other player in it).

03. No tournaments/events - I was astonished to find that I couldn't enter an online tournament in the same way as I could in Forza 2... silly.

OK, so much of this review has been negative, so just to set things straight I don't think this is necessarily a bad game - anyone for whom this is their first Forza game will probably enjoy it a lot. The graphics are good on the whole, the physics are also top notch, there are PLENTY of cars too chose from and a much larger selection of tracks than in previous games. The addition of other games modes (eg. drag, point-to-point) is also very welcome. But for me it's not the massive improvement over Forza 2 that it should have been, and indeed has taken steps backwards in some areas.

CONCLUSION:
Anyone looking for a racing game should consider Forza 3, the features are very new-user friendly, and any racing sim veterans will definitely find something in this game. It probably just about sneaks it as the best overall racing game on the Xbox 360 right now, but it does leave room for improvement, and anyone looking for a great online experience in particular might want to look elsewhere before buying this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely fun and totally worth it!, 17 Sept. 2012
Edmund "I'm a fantasy reader and listener mos... (Chirk, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forza Motorsport 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Ok so this is a review for what is now an old product but bear with me :P

This game is really good, like it does everything that you would expect from a racing simulator. The graphics are amazing, like incredible, seriously good on that front. The selection of cars is very good and with an ever increasing selection of DLC cars the library soon turns out to be vast. You sometimes spend more time selecting a car than you actually do racing.

The gameplay feels good, the steering doesn't feel too wooden nor does it feel that you have to fight it too much to get it to actually respond to what you have to do.
The various modes of difficulty are also an added bonus. There is the beginners just hold this button and overtake when you want to or there is the expert, full difficulty with no assists manual clutch gearbox which makes the game hard but very very fun.

I would also say that when I initially thought oh I've run through 7 seasons on season mode that's it. I was soo soo wrong. There is an Event list containing every race in the game... that took a long long time to get through I'm talking some serious hours of gameplay so if you want a good time to money ratio then this is seriously your game.

The graphics = amazing. The sounds well the tires screech when they are supposed to :P I didn't realy pay much attention to sound I was too busy having fun on a very good racing sim.

Definitely recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing simple as!, 24 Nov. 2009
T. PARSONS (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forza Motorsport 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Well i got this pre-ordered and i gotta say this is so much better than forza2 which i also thought was excellent. but when i got this i was blown away, i havent played online yet, but the auction for buying cars iis a good idea. and the engine swaps are great i had a r8 4.2 but replaced it with the twin turbo 3.6 fully modded and its just awsome the sound is great. The handling charecteristics are brillient between different cars rwd are a bit more difficult with all assists turned off but its fun to try and perfect racing them. This is a must buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Forza is back to its best, 6 Dec. 2009
A. Turner "Anthony Turner" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forza Motorsport 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I loved Forza 1 but found that Forza 2 didn't give good feedback and found myself continually coming off the track. The on line system was good but I found myself getting beaten by players who had super tuned the car.

Forza 3 is incredible. The graphics and gameplay are excellent. The career mode keeps you interested, though it is a little easy so is more of money making exercise to buy cars for the on line game. I love the marketplace where I can go and but set-ups for certain tracks and lovely paint jobs for my cars.

Great game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Racing Game This Gen, 28 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Forza Motorsport 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
As a massive fan of racing games I've been really disappointed in the racing games released over the last few years, you know the last few years have been bad when the best realistic racer is called "Need for speed" (Shift) but now we have Forza and true racing fans can rejoice as the game is excellent!.

The size of it is the one part of Forza that impresses me most, NFS Shift only has about 60 cars and online people only ever use the same 5. But Forza 3 has 400 cars across 2 disks and there's more being added every month in DLC for the game. This is excellent as it means the game can last you longer - particularly online which is less repetitive than usual thanks to the large selection of cars and tracks.

Forza also has some impressive graphics, although it doesn't look as good as the pictures released of GT5 it can still call itself the best looking racer ever released. All of the cars look better here than any other game and some of the tracks look incredible.

The only real downside to me is the price of the DLC cars, IMO they should be free, but hey, they charge extra for absolutely everything now!

‹ Previous | 1 2 322 | Next ›

Forza Motorsport 3 (Xbox 360)
Forza Motorsport 3 (Xbox 360) by Microsoft (Xbox 360)