5.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget !
Bought this for my 5 year old son for Christmas as I wanted a portable games console / movie / MP3 player ... and had chance to have a little play on it myself before its " packed up and sent off to Santa "

Published on 16 Nov. 2010 by David J. Topping

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning to PARENTS buying this as a GIFT
If you are a mother or father thinking of buying a PSP GO for your loved one, REALLY make sure this is what they want!
Here's why:

Published on 29 Oct. 2009 by R. Keech

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget !, 16 Nov. 2010
David J. Topping (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony PSP Go! Console (Black) (Video Game)

I consider myself fairly tech savvy and did a lot of research before making my decision which portable games console to buy for my son and finally decided on the "GO" over the "PSP3000" specifically because of the smaller compact size and because I didnt want the hassle of discs getting lost / broken and cluttering up my sons bedroom .

I feel some reviews here see the "download" only capability as a disadvantage , to me its the opposite - also to retrospectively pan the console for this and give the excuse - " we werent aware this was download only " is a little ignorant - DO YOUR RESEARCH before you shell out £200 !

Access to a FAST broadband connection is essential if you intent to download to the console directly , otherwise for games over 1Gb the server times out and kicks you out ( very annoying after 8 hours wait )

I was fully aware of the advantages / limitations of the games console before I bought it and the final deciding factor was the 10 free games that Sony offered which I think half are racing / driving genre games but all good non the less !

I personally had no issues in obtaining these .. granted it was time consuming but easy enough to connect the console to my LAN , set up a PSN account , download the "free game" theme via the PSP , wait 10 days ... input the code , download the games - bingo !

The console is small , compact , light with a clear bright screen , great sound output and intuitive XROSS menu ( as found on Sony TV's eg ) . The controls / joypad section slides away when not in use .

I was really astounded with the quality of the games for a handheld and would say its probably PS2 quality on a handheld ... games look and perform much better than on the iphone for example ( understand we are talking a few quid vs £30 here and the quality DOES show ) . and Im using the iphone as an example as screen size is very similar .

Ive subsequently bought a couple of extra games / movies and transferred them and some MP3's ripped from CD's onto the console - you can do this via the bundled software Media Go ( which is no iTunes but easy to navigate and maintain non the less )

If I've any gripes it was with inputting codes or data via the console via the pop up "phone keypad" .. i found myself trying to tap the screen ( a la iphone ) thinking it was touch screen when you have to do this via the joypad - bit like texting on an old mobile phone - VERY fiddly !
Maybe Sony's next portable console will be touch screen ?
I fully intend to control and administer the games / movie content etc on my sons behalf and have set up parental controls all thats left is for him to enjoy playing with it .. thats if he can prise it out of my hands on christmas morning !

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good niche product but far from being essential, 26 Oct. 2010
J. Keenan "Keeno" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony PSP Go! Console (Black) (Video Game)
First off I would like to say that Sony's handling of the 10 free games promotion has been a disgrace. They made the procedure for getting it quit clear in the Terms and Conditions, so no one can complain about that. If you weren't aware of them, it's the retailer you bought from not providing the information. However lots of people have been waiting over 30 days, and some over 40. If you are in this scenario, phone the customer helpline, and if they don't send the code within a couple of days, ask to make an official complaint stating they are breaching their own terms and conditions. Personally I waited exactly 2 weeks for the code.

Anyway.... the PSP itself. I've had an original PSP since they were released. Loved it to bits and played it very often. It's problem was it was too nig, heavy, noisy due to the UMD drive and as I bought more DLC from the PSN network, the 8GB memory stick I had was no longer sufficient. So how does the go compare?

Cons
- More expensive than a PSP-3000
- Battery life.... I don't think I've got much more than 4 hours in a single charge. If it had double the capacity, would be nearly a perfect console for my needs.
- The screen is half an inch smaller than the standard PSP (although it is better quality as mentioned before)
- If you have larger hands... I'd imagine you'd probably get cramp quite easily, and the L and R buttons might be hard to reach with the screen slid up.

Pros
- incredibly lightweight and portable. Only a little bigger than most smartphones
- very vibrant screen with excellent colour depth
- 16GB internal storage (although your 10 free games take up about 10GB of the 14gb usable)
- Double the capacity by getting an M2 memory stick for less than the price of a game.
- charges from USB! Although I think the PSP slims do... my PSP-1000 did not!
- Storing games on the memory stick makes them load very quickly! I've noticed on some games you don't even have the time to read the loading screen
- If you have smaller hands like myself, it's very oomfortable to use as the buttons are smaller and closer together.

Now that's the hardware out of the way. What about the PSN store?
Con's
- Not all new titles are on the PSN store. Not a problem if you have another PSP but some major titles have not been on PSN since the go was released (Dissisia, Kingdom Hearts for example)
- 3rd party games are very expensive. Expect to pay £30 for a game you can buy on UMD for £20. However Sony DOES NOT SET THIS PRICE! All of the games Sony Publishes are very reasonably priced might I add. Expect them to be on the store for £15-!8. In fact the new God of War Game is going to be £17 on the PSN store I am led to believe... and £22 to pre order on UMD from Amazon as I type this.
- Larger games take AGES to download! Even via Mediago, a 1gb+ game will take a good 2 hours to download.

Pro's
- Ever expanding number of essential titles on PSN for between £6 and £8, and most are good quality
- Mini's, whilst varying in quality and value; there are some real gems here!
- PsOne classics. Not as big a selection as the US store, but again some incredible value to be had here. Most games £3.49 with some of the big name titles (MGS, Final Fantasy) costing £7.99.
- If you have multiple PSP's, you can download the games you buy to up to 5 oonsoles. (although not 10 free games, which must be used on a PSP go)
- Some great games among the 10 free games, although are a couple of filler ones that you wouldn't dream of buying unless they were free!

Overall:
No doubt about it, this is a niche product. If you already own a PSP, and PSN content, and are looking for something more portable. This is perfect. If you are looking into buying your first PSP. I'd recommend a PSP slim and lite, the massive back catalogue on UMD is simply not substituted for on the PSN store, despite the cheaper value range, plus second hand UMD games are generally quite cheap. Not forgetting of course every single thing on the PSN store can be purchased and downloaded to a standard PSP.

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning to PARENTS buying this as a GIFT, 29 Oct. 2009
R. Keech (Berwick upon Tweed, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Here's why:

Unlike the original PSP, the PSP Go DOESN'T play PSP games that you buy in the shops. Sounds ridiculous, but its true. Sony have removed the disc drive from this model, so any games that your child may have previously bought will NOT work.

The PSP Go uses exclusively downloadable content, therefore if you don't have a wireless broadband connection in your house, this is pretty much a paper weight!
As a 'buy- product' (bad pun totally intended) of this, your child will not be able to buy second hand games or trade in their games when complete. Or what about the game they get that they just don't like? No returns or refunds like you can at gamestation, grainger games or even amazon! They will have to pay full price everytime they want a new game - not to mention they'll need YOUR credit card details to buy the games - that £20 note in the christmas card from auntie Liz is no good here!

This isn't a rubbish console by any stretch of the imagination, it does however have a very small market, the executive version of the PSP if you like?
I personally feel that Sony hasn't really thought this one through - furthermore the advertising does an extremely poor job of letting people know the pitfalls of buying this version of the PSP.

Bottom line, DON'T BUY unless you're absolutely SURE this is the one for your son/ daughter! Get the PSP 3000 instead, its cheaper and has a LOT more games readily available, that CAN be traded in, bought cheaply and second hand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome console, but requires some extras and patience, 25 Oct. 2010
Michael Watt "Mikepsyche" (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sony PSP Go! Console (Black) (Video Game)
I work away at sea and so life can get pretty boring.
I have always taken a console away with me whether it be a GameBoy or the PSP1000.
Carrying the PSP arround with me with all my games was fine, but when I saw this product I knew I had to get one.

I can't say I am dissapointed at all, although I would advise people on a few accessories.
Holding the PSP GO is not easy, especially if you have been used to the original PSP. What I have purchased is a Quik - SONY PSP GO Gaming Hand Gripper and I would highly recomend anyone purchasing this console to also purchase one of these. It really makes the gaming experience so much better. I also purchased a case to keep the console in which allows me to carry the console and my earphones or USB charging cable.

When the console comes it comes with no games but it is easy to set up the software on your computer to download games.
For those that own a PS3 the PSP GO can be connected to the console and games can be purchased through the console.
If you have a Wifi connection in your home you can also download your games through the PSP GOs wireless internet connection although this is generally slower than using your computer or the PS3.

Anyone purchasing a console right now in 2010 and in the UK qualifies for the download of 10 free PSP games worth over £200
To get this offer is slightly tricky and you need to follow the instrutions to the letter, you also need some patience. When you get your PSP GO you will have to log into the Playstation Network using your PSP GO. When logged in you will need to head to PlayStation Store using your PSPgo directly via Wireless Internet and download the free PSPgo Promotion Theme, which can be found in the Latest category on PlayStation Store. You must do this before midnight on 31 January 2011 to be eligible for the promotion. Make sure that you wirelessly download the PSPgo Promotion Theme directly onto your PSPgo, as this offer is not compatible with Media Go or PlayStation 3.

Once you have downloaded this theme you must then wait...... for up to 30 days and you will receive a voucher code to use on the Playstation Store.
I registered over a week ago and they say that you should receive the code usually within 1 week so who knows when I will get the codes but I am in no hurry. The free games are actually very good so its worth the wait.
Question is, whether you can wait that long without buying a couple of games to keep you going. So far I have downloaded some demos to keep me entertained and purchased a Playstation 1 classic Driver, and Sega Megadrive Essentials just to keep me going until I can get my free games.

Only down side to this console is you can't pop down to the local game store, or log into ebay and buy preowned games at cheap prices. You are pretty much stuck with the prices on the Playstation Store, but there are a lot of games including mini games which are very cheap and Playstation 1 classics which are playable on the PSP and PS3.

I am extreemly pleased with my purchase as it suits my needs but others may be better off with the PSP3000.

UPDATE: I eventually received my PSP Redemption codes after 37 days, but hey I can't complain, its free after all!!
Still loving my PSP and my now massive library of games. Definitely recomend God of War Ghost of Sparta!

4.0 out of 5 stars PSP Go! isn't perfect, but it's a good buy, 12 Oct. 2009
C. Haddon (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony PSP Go! Console (Black) (Video Game)
I used to own a PSP-1000, one of the original launch models. I upgraded to a PSP Go!, and I have already come to love my new PSP; more so than my old model. The PSP Go! isn't perfect, but it is actually a nice upgrade for the PSP line, although it isn't suited to everybody.

So, what are the benefits? The PSP Go! has by far the best screen on a PSP yet - compared side by side to a PSP-2000 the Go! is much clearer, sharper and with a much wider colour space/contrast. Quite simply, any old PSP looks washed out and faded in comparison - and Nintendo's DSi/Lite just doesn't compete. Yes, the screen is slightly smaller, but once you get to using the Go! you'll never notice the difference.

Linked into the smaller screen size is the overall size of the system - the old PSP models were long, bulky and impossible to put in a pocket. In fact, my old PSP rarely left the house at it was an awkward thing to carry without a bag. The Go! is only a small amount longer than an iPhone 3G, and actually fits in my pocket - making the PSP actually portable for the first time. The clever sliding mechanism accounts for most of this size saving, and thankfully the slider is solidly built and doesn't feel like it will fall apart any time soon. The controls are the same as the original PSP, and the new layout doesn't take long to get used to. The lighter weight (especially compared to the original PSP-1000) is a great help for long gaming sessions as it helps to alleviate the age old problem of hand cramp.

Anything else? 16GB of internal flash memory for a start - plenty for a stack of digital downloads, and you can always expand with an M2 memory stick. The Go! also adds a new Pause function for games, Bluetooth for connection to a variety of devices such as headsets and phones, and of course, not having to carry UMDs around.

If you have a large number of UMD games, the PSP Go! may not be for you. The Go! is aimed at people new to the PSP, or those who are willing to sacrifice their collection of UMD titles for convenience. If you already own a PSP, then it probably won't be high on your purchase list - and this is where all the vitriol from the "community" is coming from. Simply put, don't buy one if you don't want it. For me, the smaller size, higher quality screen, and the inbuilt memory makes the PSP Go! worthwhile. Your miles may vary, but the PSP Go! is a good product ultimately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, powerful, charming little device, 20 July 2013
This review is from: Sony PSP Go! Console (Black) (Video Game)
I have had my PSP GO for about 3 years and have never had any issues with it. The console loads very quickly, games play very fast and smooth and the games I have installed are games I come back to every now and again. The design is excellent, very small and nice to the eye and almost paper-thin it can easily fit in the pocket or even play from the zip case itself.

There is no UMD drive yeah but that's what makes this console different than previous PSP models. Most people would know this before buying it, its not a replacement of the original PSP but just an alternative. Normally I don't like downloading games but I don't mind on the GO, having over 30 games all on one small device is excellent especially for portability issues, whereas carrying a pack of UMD's with me would be more of a burden. I also heard that the games run much smoother and faster than playing from UMDs. If you just want to own a handful of PSP games the GO is pretty good for that, as once its installed that's it saved, you don't need to install or download it again (unless you delete it) and the games aren't too dear. Plus playing classic Playstation games on this is great, and the only way to do that is to download them too. Also minis can be downloaded and stored alongside your other PSP games.

If you already own loads of PSP games and an older PSP console I wouldn't recommend this, but for just a handful of games its very nice. The console is very comfortable in the hands and the design is by far the best PSP design, even better than the vita in my opinion. Very lightweight and sleek. The screen size is a little smaller than the original but not by much but I've been told the screen resolution is better or clearer. I was blown away when playing Pinball on this by how colourful and clear the picture was. There was so much action on screen and everything looked very smooth.

The only real downside to this is the battery isn't extremely powerful, however this seems to be the case with all the PSPs at this point. However it can be charged with USB or adapter and only takes a few hours to charge, plus the PSP can be easily put into sleep mode by moving the power up to off for a moment which will save battery if taking a break or something rather than leaving it on pause.

Overall the GO deserves more credit, downloading games is not for everyone its not even for me but I like it on the GO, having your whole collection stored on the device is excellent for portability reasons and the memory you get is enough. I have over 35 games stored including big games like GTA vice city stories and still have about ½ GB of space, however you can connect a M2 card also for extra storage. It has an excellent design and screen and if you just want a small collection of games then this is ideal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Things often change with time, this is one of 'em, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Sony PSP Go! Console (Black) (Video Game)
I own the white PSP Go, and looking back from 2013, the product is strong but was plagued by bad pricing decisions. The unit can be picked up pre-owned for super-cheap nowadays, and since it's discontinued, it won't hurt Sony in any way.

Design:
The console is great, doesn't hurt the eye and is super pocket friendly, despite being smaller than a regular PSP it's surprisingly comfortable to hold and I prefer playing PSP/PS1 games on it to the Vita or any of the other PSP's. With the console being so small and light, I'd much rather take the Go on a bus journey with me than my 3ds or Vita.

Software:
It's a PSP and with that you get all your standard PSP functions, You have the options to buy games from the PSN store (which has more games on it now than ever and at much better prices)once you've updated to the final firmware, You have bluetooth support for playing with PS3 controllers, You have PS1 support from the store and homebrew/loaders if you feel like digging into that pot o' gold.
There's a variety of ways to get games onto the system:
You can use Media Go (the fantastic idea from sony to purchase, download and backup games on the system) that came at a time that browsing the PSN store without a PSP/PS3 was impossible.
You can use a PS3 to purchase, download and transfer games onto the console which is pretty darn neat also allowing for you to use your Vita backups, saves etc all on the PSP by connecting.
There's a PSN store which offers the option to purchase and download the games over wi-fi, which is probably not recommended if yo have a PC/PS3 at hand due to slow downloads and no multi-tasking.
If Homebrew's your thing, then there's an endless wealth of options for putting games onto the system, emulators of other consoles, games not available on the regional store of your choosing and much much more.

Hardware:
It's a PSP! There's not much more to say, but the reason the go is my favourite handheld is due to fun little changes, The screen is a little smaller and clearer (less interlaced scan-lines than the 3000!).
The important thing to note is that this console has no UMD drive, and for that reason, games bought outside the Sony PSN store will not work, This can be good or bad, but in an age of homebrew it's not THAT crippling to just use a backup.
The console has 16GB built in storage that transfers at a pretty decent speed and an M2 card slot for FURTHER expansion up to 16GB. The way that M2 cards are nowadays, you can pick one up for less than a 4GB Vita card.
The reason the go really wins the award for me though is the fantastic bluetooth compatibility with the PS3 controllers, when combined with the Cradle & component cables, it really does just become it's own little console, great for playing SNES games or your favourite RPG on the sofa with your girlfriend while using very little power!
The rather unfortunate problem with the PSP Go, and what plagued it was most likely the Sony proprietary connecters and bad strategies, the unit now uses the more secure USB/Charging/TV Out port which makes the console look great and is much more secure and less likely to break, however it means that you can't charge and use TV Out without an accessory.

Accessories:
This is where it all went wrong, Expensive cables, proprietary connections and more than a fair share of poor decisions hurt the go.
The accessories are great, but can be costly depending on what you're looking for.
The Component out cable is fantastic and can be found at amazingly low prices nowadays.
The Charging Cradle is a great item that solves the problem of only having one port for Charging/TV-OUT/USB, however is almost as rare as gold dust in the UK, I eventually had to settle for importing one from the US and will no doubt be lashed out at by HMRC! Sadly the item comes with no charger/USB/Video Out cable which leaves another cost to be added if you don't already have these items (One of the poor decisions)
I can't speak for the Privacy film but it sure was an interesting concept.

Overall it's a nice console and only suffers on a few points, in this day and age, the console only has one true limitation of a Universal port and accessories that are harder to find.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Spectacular, don't read the bad reviews because they're nonsense., 24 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Sony PSP Go! Console (Black) (Video Game)
Being 14 and having loved my now broken PSP 1000, my dad ordered this for me as a replacement (or because I got really good grades). Un-boxing the product was delightful, it came well packaged and charged so it was ready to use. The console itself is beautiful; it's light,it's shiny and the slide mechanism is of a very very high quality, as are the buttons and just about everything else. When you first switch the thing on, you notice just how good the screen is and the operating system is very user friendly and easy to use. If you have average Wi-fi or better, then you will experience no problems. It is easy to connect to Wi-fi, the software update, and the registration on PlayStation Network, take no longer that 30-40 minutes. This device came with ten free games, and code took no longer than 7 days to get to me (I don't know why people are complaining , it does say 30 days and it usually comes within 7. So be prepared to be patient). The games are of a high quality and they are fun to play. The console is capable of reading comics, listening to music and watching videos. Admittedly the PSPgo like all PSPs comes with 802.11b wi-fi, so download speed is a bit dissapointing, but you can download all 10 games at once, so just leave it overnight. The lack of UMD drive is an issue but if you do have an old PSP, and you get "custom firmware" on it and the go, you can use an app called UMDgen to back up the UMDs and transfer them onto the go (check it out on YouTube).

In conclusion, this thing is absolutely brilliant, and I would recommend this to anyone. On the dark side however, the NGP is coming out soon, which is said to be "like a portable PS3" and does come with a UMD drive, touchscreen, better graphics and a faster processor. It is supposed to be "affordable" according to Sony but according to a source of mine that thing isn't go be less than at least £250.

4.0 out of 5 stars A grown-up version of the PSP, 23 Feb. 2011
S. P. Long "Simon Long" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sony PSP Go! Console (Black) (Video Game)
I bought one of the original PSPs when they launched in the UK. and while it was undeniably the most powerful portable console available at the time (and probably still is), it was a bit of an ungainly beast to carry around. You could just about put it in a pocket, but only if you wore cargo trousers on a regular basis... The games were great - I lost countless hours playing Wipeout Pure and Tomb Raider, and the experience was almost identical to playing them on a PS1 or PS2.

Gradually, I lost interest in the PSP - it was just too big, the UMD cartridges that held the games were big and clunky, and a lot more vulnerable to dust and other damage than the ROM cartridges used by Nintendo, and the battery seemed to go flat every time you left it alone for more than a week. It got stuck in a drawer and forgotten about.

When Sony launched the PSPgo, I wasn't interested, due to the lack of any mechanism to play the UMD games I'd already bought. But then, last year, in an attempt to invigorate sales, Sony launched a promotion for 10 free games with every PSPgo - and they were good games like Gran Turismo and Wipeout, not rubbish. This combined with a price drop made me take an interest, and after a bit of procrastination, I've finally bought one.

I'm still waiting for my 10 free games - Sony seem to drag their heels on sending out the codes needed to download them, which isn't too impressive. Some people have had to wait over a month, which seems utterly unnecessary. But in the meantime, I've bought a few of the old titles I had on UMD as downloads - and they are a lot cheaper than the discs were; several were under a fiver - and have bee enjoying playing them again.

I have to say that the go is a much more attractive portable console than the original PSP was. The sliding mechanism and the lack of the bulky UMD drive means it is now actually pocket-sized, and in the official leather slip case, it looks very much at home next to an iPod or a Blackberry - it's no longer something that screams "geek" whenever you pull it out. Battery life seems fine - in spite of some heavy sessions of Tomb Raider, I haven't had to recharge it that often - and the fact that all your games are with you all the time without needing to carry around piles of UMD discs makes it more of an iPod type device, where all your content is always with you.

The only problems are Sony's poor handling of the free games promotion, and the fact that the console seems to be in rather short supply, which means many places are selling it at above RRP. But if you can find one, and you want real games that are a cut above those available for the Nintendo DS, it's an excellent bit of kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very underated + simple guide to get the 10 free games, 19 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Sony PSP Go! Console (Black) (Video Game)
Just received my black PSP Go, first impression is the build quaility, it is excellent, much much better than my wifes Nintendo DS (the hinge broke within a week). Have just registered for the 10 free games and downloaded a couple of free demo's to keep me busy. Onto the fact that you can't use UMD's is the reason why I bought this version, when I'm travelling I don't need the extra space and weight of carrying a shed load of discs, the prices of the games on the PSN also are not that bad at all either. All in all I am very happy with this purchase.

Edit: How to get your free 10 Games

I see that a lot of people are having trouble getting the 10 free games, so here is a simple how to:

1) Open up and register on PSN network (this can be done on the PSP or on your normal PC/Mac) - there is a leaflet in the box though with the address on it)

2) Once you've done this enter your PSN login details on your PSP Go, this will then allow you entry to all the downloadable content. What you are looking for is the catergory labelled - Latest
Then find the theme that's called PSP Go Theme

That's it, an email will be sent to the email address that you input to your newly created PSN Network ID, I did mine on Friday night and got the code on the following Monday morning.

Once you receive the code you can then either input the code onto your PSP Go and download the games direct to the machine which is the slow way as it's roughly 10GB worth of freebies, what I did was to use the disc that came with the PSP Go and install MediaGo onto my PC, then I logged into my PSN via that and downloaded onto my PC (much much faster, still took overnight though!) and then transferred over to my PSP Go that way.

Hope this helps people

Sony PSP Go! Console (Black)
Sony PSP Go! Console (Black) by Sony (Sony PSP)
Used & New from: £31.99