Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle  Learn more Countdown to Prime Day Shop now Shop now

on 3 February 2011
This was a bit of a panic buy, as I needed a copy of three of the songs (I know, 3/100!!) for rehearsal with the Big Band I sing with, so I didn't listen to the whole 5 cds till a little while after I got this collection. Its brilliant! I stuck all of the collection on my iPod and listen to the songs repeatedly.
From better known numbers such as 'White Cliffs of Dover' and 'Bless 'Em All' to such previously unknown (to me) delights as 'Wings over the Navy' and 'Rum and Coca-Cola' there are tunes that just want to make you get up to Lindyhop, Jitterbug, Slow waltz, foxtrot and then wish you knew the steps!
Plenty to enjoy, and more to discover and be grateful for. And the price? Bar-gain.
VINE VOICEon 9 March 2011
If you ever want to hear some stirring old wartime songs, or have heard one on a soundtrack that intrigued you, then this set will certainly not disappoint. It has every track that you might associate with the period, and they are all originals. One to get and to dip into occasionally, to remind you of 'the good old days' (if you are old enough), or to hear the soundtrack to a long war. This is the stuff that kept up both civilian and military morale, a piece of musical history in a good value box.
on 16 September 2011
The selection that goes to make up this wartime collection revives (for me) great memories of my youth. In those dark days we had little to cheer us, what with severe rationing of every commodity and the threat of being bombed. What we did have was music, music and song, and by God did we sing!
The mix of musical styles here is excellent - from the comedy of "Nice Cup of Tea" and George Formby, to the wartime hopefulness of "White Cliffs of Dover" and to the crooning of Al Bowlly and friends - the producers have put together a great representation of the music of the time. Many of the recordings are typical for the time, some little hissy and scratchy, but all very listenable and fit to whisk you back on a nostalgic trip to the 1940s - whether you remember it first time round, or like me, have rediscovered it through grandparents' stories! I've reintroduced my Nan to some of these, unheard by her in over 50 years - brililant for bringing back the memories.
on 26 January 2011
As I was war time baby this reminded me of the many times these songs were sung in the pubs. An excellent CD and I thoughoughly enjoyed it and will listen to it often.
on 16 October 2011
Four excellent cds with an almost inexhaustible number of hits and popular tunes from the era. It was just what was required for a 1940s party: it includes dancing and sing along music.
on 19 March 2012
Value for money CD. Very impressed with this set of CDs I have been using it at work and it is great. Brilliant song choices and lots of well known ones too.
on 22 November 2009
This CD is great for creating the mood for a 1940's themed party. Also a great one for those who remember dancing to these tunes in their youth! Good value for money.
on 8 November 2012
I heard this playing in a retro emporium earlier this week. An hour's browsing around to these tunes and I practically marched out of the shop: the air of jollity was overwhelming. I soon tracked the songs down to this good value mp3 collection through Amazon. If youre looking for some 1930s/40s tunes for a party or production, don't pick and choose, just download the entire album: it's a really good time capsule too. The first 20 songs are essentially the classic British WW2 pick-me-ups - plenty of patriotic, deliberately stirring numbers from the likes of Gracie Fields, Vera Lynn, Arthur Askey and George Formby. Songs of support for the Navy, air-raid shelters and all pulling together, regardless of class! The bulk of the remainder showcases American dancehall cool, with notable and instantly recognisable classics from Duke Ellington (Take the A-train), Tommy Dorsey (Opus No. 1) and loads of Glenn Miller. You can even hear the roots of rock and roll in something like Louis Jordan's Caldonia. Vocal groups and soloists from the US are well represented too (including the young Frank Sinatra, Perry Como and Doris Day) before the final 20 or so songs return matters to the UK, with more balladry on offer this time (including London Pride from Noel Coward) and a good proportion of (I imagine) later wartime songs looking forward to eventual peace. Listen out for The World Will Sing Again by a young Betty Driver, a/k/a hot-pot Betty Turpin from Coronation St. Sound quality is as one would expect - mono with the odd pop and crackle here and there - but it wasn't crystal clear back then either and doesn't detract one bit. Addictive, toe-tapping stuff.
on 23 February 2011
At just sixpence a track, could you ask for better value? I was just looking for Opus 1 and Skyliner on the same album but when I saw some of the other tracks it just seemed a good idea to download the whole lot. Although you will find more recent, cleaner-sound recordings of many of the tracks, I don't think that you can beat the atmosphere that the sound of the original recordings bring. This is a full sound too - not flat, a problem sometimes with cheaper albums. A great album for people who lived the forties first time round, and speaking as someone who missed out first time, I now see what the older generation used to say by "They don't make tunes like they used to!" My young children enjoy the tracks like "Run Rabbit Run". Great 'teatime' music!