5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable value

So nostalgic.
Published 3 days ago by A. Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable value, 9 Mar 2011
Mr. P. Johnson "Pete Johnson" (Norfolk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
If you ever want to hear some stirring old wartime songs, or have heard one on a soundtrack that intrigued you, then this set will certainly not disappoint. It has every track that you might associate with the period, and they are all originals. One to get and to dip into occasionally, to remind you of 'the good old days' (if you are old enough), or to hear the soundtrack to a long war. This is the stuff that kept up both civilian and military morale, a piece of musical history in a good value box.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wartime Memories - a total bargain!, 3 Feb 2011
This was a bit of a panic buy, as I needed a copy of three of the songs (I know, 3/100!!) for rehearsal with the Big Band I sing with, so I didn't listen to the whole 5 cds till a little while after I got this collection. Its brilliant! I stuck all of the collection on my iPod and listen to the songs repeatedly.
From better known numbers such as 'White Cliffs of Dover' and 'Bless 'Em All' to such previously unknown (to me) delights as 'Wings over the Navy' and 'Rum and Coca-Cola' there are tunes that just want to make you get up to Lindyhop, Jitterbug, Slow waltz, foxtrot and then wish you knew the steps!
Plenty to enjoy, and more to discover and be grateful for. And the price? Bar-gain.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1940s, 16 Oct 2011
Mr. Bernard E. Mcguire "Bold Bear" (Berkshire UK) - See all my reviews
Four excellent cds with an almost inexhaustible number of hits and popular tunes from the era. It was just what was required for a 1940s party: it includes dancing and sing along music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent slice of the era, 27 Aug 2009
R. WEST-SOLEY "Rich West-Soley" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The mix of musical styles here is excellent - from the comedy of "Nice Cup of Tea" and George Formby, to the wartime hopefulness of "White Cliffs of Dover" and to the crooning of Al Bowlly and friends - the producers have put together a great representation of the music of the time. Many of the recordings are typical for the time, some little hissy and scratchy, but all very listenable and fit to whisk you back on a nostalgic trip to the 1940s - whether you remember it first time round, or like me, have rediscovered it through grandparents' stories! I've reintroduced my Nan to some of these, unheard by her in over 50 years - brililant for bringing back the memories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yesterday's Entertainment, 16 Sep 2011
This review is from: 100 Hits - Wartime Memories (MP3 Download)
The selection that goes to make up this wartime collection revives (for me) great memories of my youth. In those dark days we had little to cheer us, what with severe rationing of every commodity and the threat of being bombed. What we did have was music, music and song, and by God did we sing!

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 Wartime Memories, 19 Mar 2012
Value for money CD. Very impressed with this set of CDs I have been using it at work and it is great. Brilliant song choices and lots of well known ones too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great selection of tunes, 22 Nov 2009
This CD is great for creating the mood for a 1940's themed party. Also a great one for those who remember dancing to these tunes in their youth! Good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wartime Memories, 26 Jan 2011
As I was war time baby this reminded me of the many times these songs were sung in the pubs. An excellent CD and I thoughoughly enjoyed it and will listen to it often.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 23 Feb 2011
Elizabeth Goldsack (Midhurst, Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 100 Hits - Wartime Memories (MP3 Download)
At just sixpence a track, could you ask for better value? I was just looking for Opus 1 and Skyliner on the same album but when I saw some of the other tracks it just seemed a good idea to download the whole lot. Although you will find more recent, cleaner-sound recordings of many of the tracks, I don't think that you can beat the atmosphere that the sound of the original recordings bring. This is a full sound too - not flat, a problem sometimes with cheaper albums. A great album for people who lived the forties first time round, and speaking as someone who missed out first time, I now see what the older generation used to say by "They don't make tunes like they used to!" My young children enjoy the tracks like "Run Rabbit Run". Great 'teatime' music!

5.0 out of 5 stars and I'm pleased I added it to my collection, 29 Aug 2014
I'll admit it, this was an impulse purchase. I'm a huge fan of the history of rock 'n' roll generally, but had largely disregarded anything music-wise prior to 1952, and I purchased it largely to provide evidences of what was out there before the charts ever existed. Having listened to it, however, I'm overawed - this compilation is exceptional. There are so many songs that I recognize, although I'm only 40, and for those of an older generation this selection of 100 tracks must be the soundtrack to their memories. For the music historian, it provides an almost complete backdrop to what became "the charts" in 1952: with the 3-minute tracks, the musical arrangements and the crooners. The contrast is also there - the Ink Spots, Frank Sinatra, George Formby, Andrews Sisters, etc. Perhaps it's the anniversary timing, but Vera Lynn's "We'll Meet Again" still has the power to bring a lump to the throat. If one pays attention to what is in the charts now (2014), these tracks demonstrate the origin of what what was to come over the following 60 years, and I'm pleased I added it to my collection. In short,it is an essential addition to those who have followed the development of music thru Nat King Cole, Elvis, skiffle, the Beatles, the Stones, T-Rex, disco, punk, new romantic, Britpop...all the way up to "Blurred Lines" and Rhianna. This was the template for it all, better than 60 years ago, and provides the soundtrack for a generation we should never forget, In short, a great bargain for those who are interested in the origins of popular music.

100 Hits - Wartime Memories