on 17 August 2012
MAX FLOW SUNGLASSES - BLACK VERSION

Price on 12/08/12 was £19.99, the price increased on 18/08/12 to £29.99!

SYNOPSIS: good air flow, lenses don't fog-up, three decent lenses (red/yellow revo mirrored/yellow/clear) with 100% UV protection, fairly tough, light frame (22g), stylish, very comfortable, supplied with hard case, lens organiser, soft black micro fibre carry pouch/lens wipe - overall an excellent buy.

If the small hinge screws stay in the frame after a lot more use, I'll come back and give it five stars!

FIRST IMPRESSIONS (BLACK VERSION)
I had just got back into cycling; the sun came out so I decided to go for a ride and this time around I remembered to put on my old Oakley's thinking they would be okay, but soon found out they weren't. Unfortunately, I was hurtling through a small glade at the time and couldn't see a damn thing! Tree roots, mud, fallen branches, rocks and long grass with all manner of detritus, so it got a bit hairy. The lenses on my Oakley's were far too dark, great for skiing which is what I bought them for, but not cycling.

I needed a proper pair of cycling sunglasses, so looked on-line and came across these. I was a bit apprehensive because there were no reviews, the pictures weren't great, and as usual not enough information. There was a half price offer on for a second pair which brought the price down to £15, including P&P, so I went for it. They arrived within three days and to be honest I wasn't expecting much but I was quite impressed. The RRP of these sunglasses is advertised at £79.99, but take that with a pinch of salt as they're certainly not worth that much.

They come with a black eva carry case (a suede type finish) which has a swivelling quick release hook for attaching to a belt loop or whatever. Inside there is a soft black micro fibre carry pouch/lens wipe and a detachable lens organiser which is held in place with Velcro and it has compartments for the other two lenses, which is quite a nice touch. There are three sets of lenses: red/yellow revo mirror coated for bright sunlight (think Robocop), yellow for cloudy days and clear for night-time riding, which covers just about every situation and each lens is has 100% UV protection. The 10 base de-centred lens technology keeps the view ahead clear and undistorted and they give a wide field of view. The sunglasses with lenses weigh 22g and are described as 'Chrome Black' and uses MAXGEARS' MTX 90 material, whatever that is? In reality, it's a tough, flexible shiny black plastic, which looks quite robust. The hinges are attached with a small screw; I'll keep my eye on them as they look as if they could work loose. There are red rubber pads fitted at the nose and temple positions and they are very comfortable to wear.

I decided to try them out and put the yellow lenses in as it was cloudy with sunny periods. I must say that I was very impressed with them. The first thing I wanted to try out was the glade I went through with the Oakley's. They preformed brilliantly; the yellow tint really enhances the contrast. I had no problem going though dappled, dark or shady light, I could see everything, fantastic. The actual light level on the day was a lot lower than the previous occasion. One of the main features I was looking for in a pair of cycling sunglasses is the ability not to mist up, this usually happens when you come to a stop. And, as I said previously, I took a chance on these sunglasses as I didn't really know what the description of 'MAX Flow' was referring to? The obvious conclusion from that description is that they have an air flow over the lens, but I couldn't tell from the pictures. Why MAXGEAR doesn't explain this feature more is a mystery? It actually does work very well and I had no problems whatsoever with the lenses misting up. There's a vent in the bottom and a gap at the top of the lens so there's always a 'MAX' flow of air over the lens. They also protect your eyes as they are quite chunky where it matters and they wrap around your face. This stops your eyes watering and stops small particles, flies, bees, wasps, pollen and the like, from entering your eyes. They even protect your eyes against those small overhanging branches when passing through trees and large bushes, I don't fancy one of those in the eye, it's bad enough getting whacked across the face by one.

To fit/change a lens, first look at the shape of one of the other lenses before fitting. You can see that the lens hooks-in at the top of the bridge, so you need to gently pull the lens out at the bottom next to the bridge. Then slide it out and over the frame, you then need to unhook the lens from the top. Once the lens is free, then slide it out where it meets the hinge. To fit another lens do the reverse and make sure the lens is seated correctly into the frame.

My biking buddy took the other set so the next time we go out we'll look like the Bobbsey twins! So far, I have no regrets buying these sunglasses and combined with a decent helmet, I feel much safer.

I looked at cheaper options but they didn't have a case and an lens organiser, the coating wasn't as good and worst of all they mist-up. Order two sets with a mate, because for £15 (12/08/12) they're a bargain.

There's a bit more information on the MAXGEAR website.

UPDATE: Fri, 07/02/2014
I've had these for a while now and they're still going strong, I've had no problems whatsoever, I won't leave home with out them. As for the reviewer who complained about them misting up when using a full-face helmet. They need an air-flow over them; the same as any other pair of glasses, or, err, they mist-up!
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on 11 December 2012
These are excellent bike glasses, the interchangeable lenses are easy to change and give great coverage over the eye, the frame is sturdy and will take the knocks. The frame is a snug fit but also very comfortable.

I would recommmend these glasses. The carry case and wipe case are excellent quality, so for the money you get excellent value.
on 13 December 2013
I bought these mainly for the clear and yellow lenses, for eye protection and for cycling home from work in the dark. They work brilliantly although I have to admit I have only used the yellow lens so far. That's because it does the job, even on unlit tow paths I can see.On the road I like the colour and it diffuses the oncoming headlights. I must get round to using the clear. As for fitting they're great no slippage, no fogging, very light and comfortable. Someone mentioned you can see the bottom of the frame, well yes if you're looking down your nose or at your front tyre, not something I tend to do that often, so no distraction for me. For changing the lenses, yes a bit fiddly but once you do it that's it, it's easy next time. Any problems then search through the reviews as I did. someone posted a brilliant step by step procedure on changing the lens. I gave 4 stars not 5 only because they're not that attractive, not on me anyway! For cycling brilliant. 5 stars for delivery service.
on 25 January 2014
Stylish, fairly sturdy for the lightness in the weight, I have yet to try and change the lenses, they do seem to be firmly attached to the frame and there are no instructions that tell you how to remove them either. When wearing them though, they feel comfortable, easy to see through, they grip onto your head quite well and after a while you forget that they are there. These glasses are very ideal, not just for cyclists but for any sport that involves resistance to air. Highly recommended!
on 12 June 2014
Husband commented how clear his view is when cycling, no distraction. Nice funky look highly recommended when you are looking for a cost effective but efficient pair when cycling. Come with a cover with 2 extra pair of lenses
on 13 July 2013
Summer has arrived and I am happy with my second pair of these glasses. The funky red lenses will also complement the yellow frames, previous purchased. Clear vision and lightweight.
on 19 October 2014
The glasses are fine, not going to write home about them, but they do the job. The case is not great and the spare lenses don't have much use. Lens colours are also pretty whacky.
on 16 January 2014
A well fitting pair of sunglasses for cycling at a very reasonable price. Easily as good as any other makes costing 5 times the price of these glasses.
on 20 December 2013
Light and comfortable. The lenses are a little difficult to change but fine once your confident after a couple of goes. Better than being loose
on 14 January 2013
The Sunglasses are ok, but they became fogged in winter if you wear a helmet motocross shape. Besides, they are very nice.