5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album
Published on 4 Jun 2009 by Debbie Stringer

3.0 out of 5 stars My thoughts!
I bought this CD having heard a couple of tracks on Radio 2, Jeremy Vine show... I love Gurrumul's sound, 'though when listening to it from start to finish, it is a bit same-ey, with most of the tracks being very similar in sound, tempo, guitar, etc... Very much a background music CD, but he does have a fab voice.
Published on 12 July 2009 by Ali

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album, 4 Jun 2009
Debbie Stringer "debbie0802" (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gurrumul (Audio CD)
I heard one track from this album on Radio 2 and loved it. I was so inspired by what I heard that as soon as I was able to I tracked down the album and bought it - and I have no regrets. The music of this man is wonderful, really relaxing - ideal to listen to when you want to chill out (I wouldn't recommend it for in the car, you might relax too much). I think the album will appeal to a wide range of music lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Songs for the soul, 19 July 2009
This review is from: Gurrumul (Audio CD)
I first heard Geoffery Gurrumul's voice on board a ship in the Southern Ocean; the CD belonged to an Australian lady passenger. The ship had an open bridge policy, and passengers would gather in the evenings to listen to the Captain's choice of classical music. Gurrumul's voice was a perfect background for the wild Ocean and the all-night Antarctic dusk.
When I returned home, I searched in vain for the CD, finally finding it on Amazon. Gurrumul's voice is haunting, pure, heartbreaking. It resonates deep inside, down to places inside you that thought didn't exist.
He was born blind, and sings in his local Maori dialect for the most part; songs of his own tribe, his own life experience. It is a CD to play when you need a quiet time, when the world is crushing you with it's demands; in the car in manic traffic; at home when you need to to to a place in your head where there is a mountain with cool air and gentle sun.
By far the most moving track is "Bapa" or "Papa". You don't need to translate, and it will stay in your head even after one play.
This man's music is going to be huge. He has already achieved cult status in Australia and among world music purists.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soooo beautiful!!, 8 Jun 2009
This review is from: Gurrumul (Audio CD)
I woke up in the middle of the night last week, just couldn't sleep so I turned on my radio and listened to some world music...then a track from this cd came on and absolutely blew me away. I just lay there in the dark and felt so deeply moved!!When it was finished I immediately got out of my bed, went on to Amazon and ordered a copy. I just can't stop listening to this album..the more I do the more magical it becomes.I'm convinced this music could change the world!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical Delight, 26 April 2008
peter charles "peter charles" (Jerusalem, Israel) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gurrumul (Audio CD)
The angelic voice and musical backing of the blind Australian aborigine Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu simply swept me away. A completely unexpectedly and delightful album that I am sure I will return to many times. The musical world is bound to catch on to this. Peter Charles, Jerusalem

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical Genius!, 3 Oct 2009
Mrs. E. M. Robinson (England) - See all my reviews
Gurrumul
I first listened to a track on Radio 2, and thought what beautiful music. Then I heard another track on Jeremey Vine, but unfortunately could not get the name of the performer. I've had to look through various websites before finding his name. I've ordered the CD as I think it will be soulful. The track 'Bapa' nearly reduces me to tears when I've listened to it. What delightful, soulful music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 9 Oct 2009
This review is from: Gurrumul (Audio CD)
Every now and then you hear something truely amazing and this is it! Gurrumul has a beautiful voice which transports you to a serene place of relaxtion and traquility, having a really stressful job i am totally hooked! Buy it, you wont regret it, we all need relax and kick back with Gurrumul....i cant wait for his next cd!!:-)

3.0 out of 5 stars My thoughts!, 12 July 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this, 18 Oct 2011
This review is from: Gurrumul (Audio CD)
Phenomenal album, hauntingly brilliant and unusual. cannot recommend highly enough. If you like acoustic guitar,raw vocals and passion then buy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 7 May 2009
Mr. M. L. Hawes "Mitchmusic" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Gurrumul (Audio CD)
Put this CD on, close your eyes and sit back in your chair and you'll suddenly find yourself wwith views of Ayers Rock, incredible skies, your emotions heightened to new levels. That is what this CD does.

Looking beyond the fact that the artist is aboriginal in origin, blind and sings in the main in his native tongue, this is a beautiful record. It is moving in a way that you probably thought would be impossible in music these days.

This CD has every rightt to become as renowned and loved as Fleet Foxes, my 1 and a half year old sat mesmerised by the flow of tunes on our journey back without uttering a sound, wide awake but transported to a different place. THAT is something almost unheard of. She loves it and so do I.

A timeless classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Haunting, 8 Dec 2008
This review is from: Gurrumul (Audio CD)
Heard this guy on Radio 2 last night, just one song and I had to find him, have written this before the CD arrives, can't wait to hear the rest of his stuff, his voice touches your soul somehow, don't understand the words, and don't care, this man is a genius.