5.0 out of 5 stars Still Playing this Today
Published on 11 Mar. 2008 by C. A. Kilgour

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Advice
Although shown as unavailable a simple search on Amazon should come up with a decent copy.

But read on for advice about the different labels and formats.

I had this LP on the pink Label and got it signed by the late Brian 'Blinky' Davidson but in a fit of madness I sold it to Virgin Records in Hull.

Regret. But.
There's a fair bit of...
Published 22 months ago by Glenn Cook

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Playing this Today, 11 Mar. 2008
C. A. Kilgour "McCulloch" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elegy (Audio CD)
I bought this album when I was 14 or 15, to cheer me up on the way to the dentist. I think it was the cover that appealed to me, I hadn't heard the album, but I remember it being among the first few I bought. This placed me firmly in the "weirdo section" at school, when everyone carried their favourite albums in plastic sleeves to broadcast tastes and attract exchanges. It also established a lifelong preference for bands with keyboards, and I soon bought the other 4 albums.
My own favourite track is My Back Pages. I love the way it goes from a piano intro to heavier when the organ kicks in. Hang onto a Dream features some really nice piano playing. America live has` Keith Emerson "playing" the strings of the piano and later on the track sounds like a train going slowly over points. Not so impressed with these bits nowadays.
Overall this is probably the best place to start listening to The Nice. The original 4 tracks are all outstanding. This was the last album they released.
(Great pity as they were due to bring out another, featuring their version of Lt Kije. Its release was announced in the music press, but due to difficulties with the publisher it was shelved. Not sure, but this is probably the "new" content on The Immediate Anthology).
And I am still playing this CD today, long after I wore out the album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hanging On To The Dream, 11 Aug. 2009
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Elegy (2009 Digital Remaster + Bonus Tracks) (Audio CD)
It is with sadness that, while researching a little for this review,
I discovered that Brian 'Blinkey' Davison, drummer with The Nice
died in April last year aged 65.

I saw him once with his band Every Which Way at a gig in a small
sweaty rock club in deepest, darkest Essex in the early seventies
(1971 I think). A great little jazz/rock combo who raised the roof.
At one point during a particularly raucous number the tip of one
of his drumsticks snapped, flew thought the air and was caught
by yours truly in mid-flight. I still have it !

A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then !

'Elegy', The Nice's' fifth studio album was originally
released in 1971. It proved to be their last.
To hear it again in this gloriously remastered edition
is strangely moving.
One is reminded immediately what an extraordinarily talented
band they were. Supremely virtuosic musicians playing music
of startling complexity. A real dream-team if ever there was !

The album is, in fact, a bit of a ragbag of studio and live material.
(It was actually released after the band split). As an epitaph to a
unique 'prog-rock' phenomenon it is none-the-less indispensible.

Listen to Jackson's mercurial bass runs in 'Third Movement : Pathetique'.
Together with Emerson's raging Hammond and Davison's elemental
drumming there can be little doubt that we are in the presence
of greatness. There is real passion and fire in the performance.

The live recording of 'America (Second Ammendment)' is astonishing.
Emerson plays like a man possessed - which in some ways he was - but his
ego never compromises the integrity of the performance for a moment.

Three alchemically united musicians playing at the height of their powers.

The jazzy rendition of 'Country Pie' (a BBC 'Sounds Of The Seventies'
recording) is a hoot ! Emerson's Bachian decorations are inspired.

Final track, a live version of the Pathetique 3rd Movement, finds
the band firing on all cylinders. An exhillarating conclusion.

'Hang On To A Dream' and 'My Back Pages'
have lost none of their fluid charm.

There are of course other riches to be found in The Nice's
back catalogue but this old Wolf was happy to be reminded,
once again, of his wayward, wild and hairy youth !

Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting tribute, 13 Sept. 2005
N. Mason (Taunton, Somerset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Elegy (Audio CD)
I was lucky enough to see The Nice just before they broke up and I remember buying this on vinyl when it came out (just after I had seen ELP on their first tour).
It has always been one of my favourite albums as it celebrates all the best things about the band. 'Hang on to a Dream' is a 12 minute version of the Tim Hardin song with some beautiful piano playing from Keith Emerson right through to the full power of the band in their version of 'America' -it is a great pity this is not available on DVD so that everyone could see what Emerson was doing to get the range of sounds from the Hammond organ.
The extra tracks really are just an add on to what is really the Best of The Nice

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Advice, 21 May 2013

Regret. But.
There's a fair bit of history to this CD that explains why it was issued and why, to my mind, it seems as if it's a bottom trawl of `what have we got that has not been released so far to squeeze a few more dollars out of the old milk cow'.
As the name suggests Elegy,a song after mourning, was released after the band had broken up.
Immediate their label had been slaughtered causing all sorts of reissue hell for the collectors to fathom.
As a Keith Emerson, ELP and Nice fan (the group not an adjective) I still believe that the Nice never realised their full potential as a group. This LP confirms it. Heck I still love the Nice but I am a realist.

The LP it self has been reissued in this format at least twice once on the Pink and rare therefore more expensive and this the Charisma Mad Hatter Label which is the cheaper of the two provided you can find a copy that is.
You need to ascertain which label you are getting. The cheaper madhatter or the rare pink label.
The Cover is simply stunning.
But this is a review about the CD.

There are several verions of this release BUT the original 4 tracks have been enhanced with further tracks. BUT buyers need to beware because there are now two different reissue versions of this CD. At the time of writing in Feb 2012 the one with 2 is the cheaper.
To the actual tracks with bonus later.
Track one is a live version of the Tim Hardin penned `Hang on to a Dream'. Here as with all tracks Lee Jackson's vocals were not top division.
Track 2 is My Back Pages a Bob Dylan song with which the Byrds found success with. The Nice really seemed to go for Bob Dylan at that time but then everyone seemed to be releasing Dylan Tracks at that time from Manfred Mann's Mighty Quinn to Hendrix' All Along the Watchtower.

The third track and orginal opener to side two of the LP (yes LPs were that short in those days! ) is Pathetiquethis is a far better version than the one previously released onFive Bridges [with 5 bonus tracks] . No orchestra and just the trio showing just how good they were.
The final and the Stand out track of the original LP and of course the Nice's only single success is America. This is a really stomping version and is worth the price of the CD alone. (But then most Nice fans would say this so I'm not alone.)

On the 2009 reissue. The first enhanced edition includes 2 bonus tracks which I believe have been previously released on a 1968 LP on Charisma called Charisma Perspective. They are much earlier tracks than the one included on the original Elegy but really make this a worthwhile investment. (see what I mean about recycling and completists' hell?) many tracks by the Nice appear and reappear on countless editions in different but all too often the same forms on many not only best of type but as extra tracks on the original LPs.
These two additional tracks are another Bob Dylan written Country Pie and another Pathetique! Both from the BBC live.

On the other later 1990 version there are 6 bonus tracks totally different from the reissue of the reissue? Are you with me so far??)

Now back to the review!!!

The stand out star of the Nice was and is Keith Emerson. Davidson and Jackson were a decent backing duo nothing more nothing less creatively it was Emerson all the way and that's why he jumped ship to join Lake and Palmer two `far superior musicians. (the proof why would he leave the Lee and Brian to join Greg and Karl if they were not better. and
importantly The lasting proof the output of ELP far more creative that the Nice's versions of other peoples songs). (And oh yes I do know how I am likely to be hammered for saying this by diehard Nice fans!!)

I've met and seen both Lee jackson with Jackson Heights and Brian Davidson with Every Which Way But Loose and both are nice guys and yet..

The overall view is that this is a decent release nothing more nothing less.
The cover by Hipnosis the people responsible for some of the better Pink Floyd Album covers did the honours and it's one of those covers you either love or hate. Take your pick?

I believe there are better value and Cds containing all the tracks included on this edition but you need to search them out yourselves.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Trawl through the Nice's History., 12 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Elegy (2009 Digital Remaster + Bonus Tracks) (Audio CD)
As a Keith Emerson, ELP and Nice fan (the group not an adjective) I still believe that the Nice never realised their full potential as a group. This CD confirms it. Heck I still love the Nice but I am a realist.
The original 4 tracks have been enhanced with further tracks. BUT beware there are now two different reissue versions of this CD. At the time of writing in Feb 2012 the one with 2 is the cheaper.

3.0 out of 5 stars Still Available., 21 May 2013
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: elegy LP (Vinyl)

Regret. But.
There's a fair bit of history to this LP that explains why it was issued and why, to my mind, it seems as if it's a bottom trawl of `what have we got that has not been released so far to squeeze a few more dollars out of the old milk cow'.

The LP has been reissued in thisformat at least twice once on the Pink and rare therefore more expensive and this the Charisma Mad Hatter Label which is the cheaper of the two provided you can find a copy that is.
The Cover is simply stunning.

On a point of interest this LP has been issued as a CD release BUT the original 4 tracks have been enhanced with further tracks. BUT buyers need to beware because there are now two different reissue versions of this CD. At the time of writing in Feb 2012 the one with 2 is the cheaper.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Trawl throught the History of the Nice., 21 May 2013
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: elegy LP (Vinyl)

4.0 out of 5 stars Much improved, 7 Aug. 2009
70s "arrow" (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Elegy (2009 Digital Remaster + Bonus Tracks) (Audio CD)
After hearing the LIve at the BBC cd I thought that no good quality versions of the radio stuff existed. Well I was wrong, the 2 BBC tracks on here sound superb!!! Well worth getting. The rest of the album, which when it was released, featured muddy sound and Lee Jacksons bass mixed way too high, has also been mightily improved. My Back Pages used to be very sub par, but the new remastering has cleaned it up like new so that it now stands like a finished piece. The whole cd has great sound and is definately a big improvement over the Virgin cd issue. The lost bonus tracks from the previous Elegy can now be found on the Autumn 67-68 rerelease, although they are mainly remixes from the first album and 2 off cuts which are not that great.
Definitive version of America on this cd and a long version of Hang Onto a Dream featuring Keith Emerson striking the strings inside his Grand piano with the Mike whilst holding down a chord. Not that musical, but short enough. Pathetique is a none orchestra run throgh for the version that appears on Five Bridges.
Great Remaster

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoy listening to this., 18 Oct. 2014
Mr. S. M. Hall (Peterborough, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elegy (2009 Digital Remaster + Bonus Tracks) (Audio CD)
I bought this on the strength of my rating of Five Bridges. A good CD with some great tracks. I am very pleased that it was supplied in a Jewel case and not one of those flimsy cardboard abominations!

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent parting shot, 16 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Elegy (2009 Digital Remaster + Bonus Tracks) (Audio CD)
this was the last official nice album. released after they split up, it shows a band at the peak of their live performance. the original album consisted of four lengthy tracks which were nice interpretations of other people's music. hang on to a dream features some great piano work from keith and an extended jazz work out in the middle where, at times, he plucks at and hits the strings - a style used to great effect on take a pebble from the 1st elp album. some great bass playing throughout this track.
this is followed by a radical interpretation of dylan's my back pages with some excellent hammond work. next up is a romp through pathetique with lee jackson showing just how good he was at his best. give it a try yourself and you'll sees what i mean
finally, there's america. the best recorded version imho. the last 5 mins are amazing. don't forget, this is all pre synth days and the sounds generated from keith's trusty hammond are stunning and well complimented by the bass and drum work from lee and brian (who plays well and unobtrusively throughout.
bonus tracks not really needed. the live version of country pie is much better than this one and the pathetique is very similar to the album version although the bbc sound is better.

Elegy (2009 Digital Remaster + Bonus Tracks)
Elegy (2009 Digital Remaster + Bonus Tracks) by The Nice (Audio CD - 2009)