Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.16

on 21 March 1998
Ms. Small's books are always very sexual. Anyone reading them knows that after the first one or two they read. The plot was great, although Angus Gordon not trying to find her didn't have much credit. Any man, that in love with a woman, would do whatever it took in order to find her-- not go off to England to "greive" as if she was dead. Ms. Small, Keep up the good work! I'll buy 'em as fast as you can write them!
on 23 April 1998
I have been a fan of Ms. Small for several years, and have read everything she has published. All of her books contain great characters and rich historical detail. However this falls short of what I have come to expect from her. Although the story is entertaining(your basic brain candy). for frist time readers of hers I would recommended the O'malley Saga or "A Momemnt in Time"
on 19 December 1997
In 1422, the Laird of Loch Brae, Angus Gordon, catches Fiona Hay stealing his cattle to pay dowries for her sisters' weddings. He accuses her of the crime and she offers her maidenhead in payment. Angus says the cattle is worth more than just one night in the sack. Instead he makes her his mistress.
When King James returns to the Scottish throne after twenty years held as a royal prisoner in England, he does everything to unite Scotland under his rule. He worries about the Highlanders, who have failed to swear fealty to him. Even though he knows that Fiona and Angus love each other, the King sets in motion a plot to turn Fiona into the lover-spy of Colin MacDonald, a wild Highlander. The plan works with Colin being duped into abducting Fiona. With no trace of her, it appears that Angus and Fiona will never share the lifetime of happiness that both richly deserve.
New York Times best selling author Bertrice Small writes her best novel since the early "Skye O'Malley" books with BETRAYED. The novel is extremely erotic (even for Ms. Small), but is very enjoyable due to the brilliant and charming lead and secondary characters, who bring alive the reign of King James I. Historical romance fans will enjoy this fabulous story.
Harriet Klausner
on 1 February 1998
This was an ok story that Ms Small told us but it seemed to me that she was trying to capture the essence of Skye O'Malley in this story. I really enjoyed the Skye O'Malley saga but there is only one Skye and I'd like to see a little more originality. I don't want this to come off as a really negative review because I do have the greatest respect for Ms. Small and throughly appreciate her work. I absolutely have all her works listed in her books as former titles and will continue to patronize her work, I feel her work is always of that quality. This book just didn't hold me captive as her others have.
on 18 February 1998
Betrayed was all in all an enjoyable book with a feisty heroine struggling to do the best by her family. This title contains just enough history and sensuality for a balanced story. A personal favorite for me is the way Ms. Small subtly ties one book to the other, but unfortunately there was neither predecessor nor successor to this novel. I enjoyed the premise thoroughly.
on 17 February 1998
I think she did a great great job. I think the story could have been a little longer. I would like to have found out what the King thought of them getting married and the deception he played on them. All in all Bertrice always delivers a good, juicy, and spicy story.
on 23 January 1998
The story is fast-paced, never a dull moment anywhere in the book.It is very descriptive, which helps to transport you to that time period. I finished it in 3 days. A truly enjoyable read!
on 13 June 2013
i really like betrice small she takes you way from mundane day to day especially with a glass or two of wine
on 28 June 1998
While I have enjoyed every book Ms. Small has ever written, this is by far my favorite ! I have already re-read three times...and unable to put it down between readings !
Fiona Hay is a woman between a rock and a hard place throughout her life, doing her duty by her sisters, and to uphold her own honor. She makes mistakes, learns from them and is rewarded by being loved by the two most magnificent men one can possibly imagine. Interestingly enough, I enjoyed the character of Colin MacDonald even more than Black Angus Gordon...what a dynamic, rich character he is !
If you want to be swept up in medieval Scotland, and experience first hand of the 'taming' of the wild northern clans, then "Betrayed" will captivate you completely !
on 29 June 1998
This book was more typical of Bertrice Small's recent romance novels. I still prefer her earlier novels like The Kadin or Adora. Romance readers should be prepared for the explicit sex when they pick up one of her books. Bertrice Small is a wonderful writer with vivid historical descriptions.