5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing but True...
If you are looking for the authentic within this obscure world, then this is some of the best footage documentary you will ever come across, you might seen many of his other material like myself, but this DVD stroke me as more gripping and intense than I ever seen him before, and he knows to watch his tongue now!

Disc 1

The first disc tells the story...
Published on 26 Sep 2009 by Ph.D Madsen

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not meet my expectations
Published 8 months ago by Jack Enders

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing but True..., 26 Sep 2009

Disc 1

The first disc tells the story of Philadelphia & the Kensington area, were crime will surprise you; the black violent ghettoes out of control in large cities of USA. Theroux rides along with the undercover police interviewing people while being arrested or playing street wise with him. Intense and not like his other (sometimes) boring shows were nothing happens almost. I'm really glad I am not living there, that's all I can say.

The other story on this disc is brutally disturbing; it's about South Africa, the huge town of Johannesburg, we both see the real poor in the outskirts of town and their private guards and their methods they call "poison" which means violence to make them talk, and he follows local criminals around the inner city, to patrol and control other criminals, due to lack of police and emergency, people with money pay these local security firms to keep control since police is inadequate. They got their own guard crews to try stabilizing peace which is impossible. At one point one of the guards kicks a man just beaten up in the head and spray him with gas right in his face, they are violent and so are the ones they fight. What really caught me and my wife, was the fact that Theroux ends up interviewing a black criminal who is wanted by the law and he tells very primitive how he is going to kill someone's baby if they don't pay; put it in into an oven or just kill them, if no money. He speaks from the gutter of the streets into the camera, he spit almost as he talks, his a really sadistic evil person, fast to be dubbed psychopath. I mean he's just killing people like its nothing?
Watch out for this tendency in the western world. It's truly brutal and I watched it over and over again with my wife.

Disc 2

It's not as intense as the first disc, I would say. But still extremely psychological and sociologic in its undertakings of story telling.

First episode, is about rapists & paedophiles in a Californian mental hospital, where people shall live till the end of their days, with so few rehabilitations or ever released "prisoners". They have one program they can go through for many years and hope to get out someday for complying the terms of the facility and its program.
Only 30% of the people at the prison see value in it, rest question its motives and so on. Sometimes he managed to provoke them quite a lot, and the rules are strict it seems, cant raise your voice as inmate or everything which is divergent from the hospital point of view, is seen as abusive manners towards staff with consequences for the inmate. I don't feel sorry for these people really, I just think its odd how USA deals with offenders like these. One of the counsellors didn't seem too bright I thought.
It's mostly psychological with not that much intensity as the first disc. But still something you should see for a fact!

Last episode is in Fresno USA, city with a lot of unemployment and half million people to cover.
The crystal Meth is almost like cigarettes there, well its crazy, and trust me, I've seen people in real life on crystal Meth trying to kill others, I know personally what it can do to a person. Crystal Meth which is derived from speed but enhanced thus modified and self produced all over the town in small labs, into snorting, smoking or fixing it yourself. Theroux follows users around, some of them really hardcore; using for 30 years and living a "normal" life. He visits the hospital where all the addicts pass their filth onto their children. Many relapses and its hard to find quitters in this avenue.
I noticed the behaviour of these people; one moment of euphoria and one moment of utterly despair.
The prognosis of what can become of a society in these sullen conditions!

4 Episodes with a duration of around 60 min. each.
The best DVD-set he made so far!
Hope to see more of this importance and awareness in the future.

Regards Viking

5.0 out of 5 stars his curiosity knows no bounds, 3 Sep 2010
This review is from: Louis Theroux - Law and Disorder Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Louis is very inquisitive and this set of programmes are actually a very good insight into some of societies real problems. Unlike many documentary film makers, Louis has a knack of finding out facts because of his air of naivety and innocence. He gains the confidence of those around him because he appears harmless. As a consequence, he gets involved in quite hairy situations and seems to have no real fear of being in challenging environments. He is very balanced and doesn't really take sides. He is almost a voyeur because he is there without agenda or appearance of involvement. Almost a tourist in a way. His intelligence is quite clear and he uses it without being too patronising. He also asks some very interesting questions and wants to hear all sides. People seem to trust him and tell him loads.

I prefer this subtle, narrative style of documentary to the Ross Kemp action man approach. I think Louis gets more from his approach than Kemp. He also provides a far more interesting commentary and storyline approach. Well worth watching. Moreover, his humourous, tongue in cheek programmes like weird weekends are also very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Theroux at his best!, 5 Feb 2010
P. Holford (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Louis Theroux - Law and Disorder Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Very interesting and quite compelling viewing.
Four locations each with different issues,Louis Theroux has been able to explore the reasons behind the problems by becoming part of their world. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD., 17 Aug 2011
This review is from: Louis Theroux - Law and Disorder Collection [DVD] (DVD)
As an American living in the UK, I disagree with another poster that the US doesnt have "proper telly". I miss my American TV, and prefer it over most British TV. But as he prefers British TV, and I prefer American, it is all a matter of opinion and what you grew up with.

However, Louis Theroux, I feel, is one of the best in the world at what he does. He comes across as nerdy, but I feel he dials that up a notch to gain the trust of those he interviews. He has a gift for extracting information that most other journalists wouldnt get. As I am from the Philadelphia area, I found this DVD very entertaining and accurate. I also find all his other DVD's very good. I recommend this to anyone, no matter what country, or background you come from.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 16 Feb 2013
This review is from: Louis Theroux - Law and Disorder Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Theroux documentaries are very interesting in his particular way of making what apparently are non-sense questions in what is generally a chaotic environment. I use them for my classes and it worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars So refreshing to see a real person on the TV, even if it's on DVD, 24 Mar 2010
This review is from: Louis Theroux - Law and Disorder Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Iv'e been away from the UK for 23 years; and I have really missed proper telly. To the point I'll pay for it to be shipped to Arizona, such is the shoddy excuse for TV they offer here.I appreciate Louis's subject matter, his detached, yet concerned, interactions. He is a real mensch compared to the waffling puppets of US mainstream "news" TV. He also picks up on the sort of thing the mainstream US "News" TV actively avoid.

Louis subject matter beats grainy kitten rescue and gas station robbery videos every time..
Thanks for some good honest documentary work, and a personality that I can actually believe in Louis.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not meet my expectations, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: Louis Theroux - Law and Disorder Collection [DVD] (DVD)
At no point in this DVD does Louis dual wield uzi's or say a smart one liner before killing someone in a stylised manor, complete with excessive bloodspray. Out of disappointment, I attempted to remedy the situation by rewriting the programme and sending the script to the BBC, however they rejected it, and I believe reported me to various social services/child abuse support centres. Anyway, I decided to include a brief extract from my version in this review, I hope you will enjoy it as much as I think you will, as my writing talent is phenomenal, I actually got a D in GCSE English.

Louis Theroux: Law and Order 2: Death Sentance

LT: Hello, Today, we bust a vicious crime syndicate, known for distributing and creating many class A drugs.

(Louis opens door)

Interior: A dinner party, a smart looking man wears a suit and sits at the table

LT: There's our man.

(Louis walks over to the man, and engages him, realising who he is, the man runs away from Louis)

LT: Lets get him!

(Louis grabs the man, throwing him out the window, he lands in a crusher positioned directly under on the pavement)

LT: What a (Puts on sunglasses) Crushing Bore

Music: Deeeeaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwnnnnn!!!!1

(Some pretentious rock song that nobody cares about plays, while aerial shots of the city play in rapid succession, credits)

I believe this version is much more exciting, and would be much appreciated by todays TV hungry viewer.

4.0 out of 5 stars One Problem ..., 24 Mar 2011
S. Cross - See all my reviews
This review is from: Louis Theroux - Law and Disorder Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Although the dvd arrived promptly, the case was broken. I don't know where in the line it got broken, or if it was the fault of the delivery company or whatever but it was quite damaged. That said, the dvd wasn't scratched and is working fine. (Very good series by the way!)

Louis Theroux - Law and Disorder Collection [DVD]