5.0 out of 5 stars Brainbox maths
Published on 28 Feb 2011 by J. Radnedge

2.0 out of 5 stars Could do better- insultingly easy.
While our five- and seven- year old have really, REALLY enjoyed this product, it is because the questions represent absolutely no challenge whatsoever. The questions shown on the outside of the box are much harder than the questions inside, and give the impression that Brainbox Maths is more educational than it really is. For example, it is apparently aimed at children...
Published 20 months ago by Doodlebug

5.0 out of 5 stars Brainbox maths, 28 Feb 2011
J. Radnedge (Bristol) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BrainBox - Maths (Toy)
I bought this for my daughter, aged 7yrs who finds maths a bit of a struggle. She was initially reluctant to play what appeared to be a "boring maths game" but having played it, she loves it. It has a number of cards each with different diagrams, graphs, shapes, sums etc and the child looks at a card for a period of time (using the timer or not, up to you)and then gets a question based on what they've seen. It's maths without them realising it really as it's essentially a memory game. We've played it as a family with me reading the card out loud to my 4 year old, and he enjoys it as well - they like to compete with each other to see who can get the largest number of correct answers. I think it would appeal to older children as well as some of the cards are too difficult for key stage 1 children I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really fun!, 22 Oct 2009
This review is from: BrainBox - Maths (Toy)
I found this by chance, searching around the games on the Amazon site, and bought this one to try to help two of my students who avoid math at all costs. Truthfully, some of the cards are pretty challenging and are better for older students. However, the illustrations are colorful and inviting and I've had a lot of success introducing the game to students of all ages. At every age they focus on different things, which is completely appropriate.

I actually use it more often in my ESL classes. As everything's written in English it's a perfect alternative to the same old games usually played in ESL classes. It's a great ten-minute ending game. It leaves the students feeling good about themselves and with a sense of fun about the class.

I actually don't use the die included in the game. I find it better to ask them questions I'm pretty sure they'll be able to answer. (The point, really, is to have fun, no?, not to have them feel foolish and inadequate!) Then, with the students with better memories I can keep asking.

I'm probably going to order The World box, but this one is really valid and fun if you want to challenge your students or children in many different ways!

5.0 out of 5 stars Starter for teachers, 20 Oct 2010
Busy "Mum" (Worcester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BrainBox - Maths (Toy)
I bought this for a simple starter for some maths lessons with my class. They love it! I can imagine that it would also be fun for a family but most cards are too challenging for my 5 year old. We'll have to wait a bit to play it at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maths Brainbox, 4 Jan 2011
This review is from: BrainBox - Maths (Toy)
Brainbox Maths - excellent value for money and great fun for all the family. So easy to play - no mess and no bits to loose - travels well.
Very educational.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun game even for the reluctant mathematician!, 14 Aug 2011
This review is from: BrainBox - Maths (Toy)
Bought this for my 7 year old stepdaughter as maths is not her strongest subject. Was a bit worried that she wouldn't take to it, but since she has had it she has not stopped asking to play. We give ourselves 20 seconds rather than the normal 10 as some of the cards have lots of information to take in. In fact we are both learning (or is that relearning for me) new things each time. Have also played it with her cousins, who are in their teens, and they enjoyed it too. Will wait and see if it has an impact on her maths, but maybe it will make her find the subject more enjoyable. Definitely recommend this and may even look at other BrainBoxes at a later date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous!, 9 Jan 2010
Vikki Ewen (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BrainBox - Maths (Toy)
I have just discovered the Brainbox series following a holiday with friends who took one along. We now have maths, football, dinosaurs and The World. All are excellent and I will buy more as presents. My boys are 6, 7 & 9 and we all play just using the timer twice for the youngest and reading the info to him. The 7 year old reads himself with double time and the rest of us get by on 10 seconds. It can be played quickly by just cutting the number of cards to win. I think, with Bananagrams, this is the toy discovery of last year for us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for all the family, 4 May 2012
Mr. G. Clement "ggc20032003" (Braga, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BrainBox - Maths (Toy)
It is difficult to find a maths toy that I can play with all my family (wife and 2 kids 9 & 11). This manages it because some questions are maths, some are about the information shown and some are using the details given to you.
A big bonus is that it requires no boards or setting up so when everyone is together (after lunch or during snack time) this is a great game for all of the family.

Overall it is great fun, we have played it a few times and it is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars brainbox games, 28 Jan 2011
Y. Balchin "book addict" (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BrainBox - Maths (Toy)
This game is fun for all ages. It is also a valuable educational tool that stimulates and interests all students.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stocking filler, 7 Sep 2011
This review is from: BrainBox - Maths (Toy)
It's getting to Xmas time again and I would recommend this game as a great stocking filler.....a big bonus is that it isn't broken by boxing day. My kids still play this 10 months later and aslo play with their friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant gift, 11 Oct 2011
This review is from: BrainBox - Maths (Toy)
*********Brilliant product, is ideal if you have an only child as they can play it on there own and learn at the same time, also a quick and easy game to set up and play for up to 8 people. Parents can join in too so is a great learning tool all round definitly recommend ********

BrainBox - Maths
BrainBox - Maths by The Green Board Game Co.