4.0 out of 5 stars None
Found it a hard read to begin with, just didn't flow well. but really glad i stuck with it because boy what ride.
Published 22 months ago by Vanessa Ford

2.0 out of 5 stars Very badly written
I bought this book a long time ago (but after the mentioned grammar 'fixes' of 2011), and tried to read it. I got about three pages in and put in down again. After several months I decided to give it another go, and persevered, but the book has many, many issues.
Published 16 months ago by Claire Whitaker

2.0 out of 5 stars Very badly written, 9 May 2013
This review is from: The Zombie Chronicles: Outbreak (Kindle Edition)
My initial impression was that it had been written as some kind of joke or parody, my second was that it may have been written by a child.
There instantly felt to have been little to no effort put in. I mean, the first three characters you meet are Max, Bob and Fred.... To me they sounded like filler names.
The writing style is childish and doesn't flow well at all. The punctuation is appalling. The author has no idea at all how to correctly use a comma, they're thrown in all over the place where they don't need to be and are completely missing where they ought to be. This gives a haphazard feel to the tone of the book and makes it incredibly difficult to read. You'll find yourself having to go back over most sentences, re-punctuate them in your head, and then be able to continue.
The dialogue is atrocious. Connectives aren't used at all. People don't talk like that! It makes it feel wooden and unreal and again, difficult to read because it just feels so wrong.
The characters have an overstatedness about them that just made me dislike every single one of them. I felt that actions and reactions were out of context a lot of the time and didn't make sense given the circumstances.

The zombies were also a big minus point for me.
I think what completely killed it for me was the moment a zombie appreciated the irony of a situation.
By definition, Zombies are mindless.
The goons in this book are not zombies, they're... indescribable, but not zombies. I've never read a decent zombie book where the undead were able to talk, function, plot, plan, scheme, had superhuman regenerative powers and were essentially a new evolved race.

I found the story itself to be slow to begin with. The first 30% or so pretty much nothing happens other than people wandering around the building they're trapped in wisecracking one another.
That said, when it does kick off, the action comes pretty hard and fast.
It often becomes confusing, and hard to follow, like the author is trying to explain far too much at once and just ends up falling over himself in the process. These areas feel rushed and badly plotted.

So, if you can get over some of the worst grammar I've seen in my life, a non-standard view to zombie behaviour, wooden, dull characters and an initially slow moving plot, then you'll probably enjoy this.

I finished it, I'm not entirely sure why. I put it down and picked it up again many times, but something drew me back, so it gets 2 stars for that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just awful, 5 Dec 2013
I. Carlson (Bicester, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Zombie Chronicles: Outbreak (Kindle Edition)
I don't often leave reviews and only do when strongly motivated to do so, but this "book" was frankly a disgrace to writing. Leaving aside the ideas and concept behind the book (intelligent zombies that see energy auras to feed off and can recruit other zombies as thralls, terrible), it was so poorly written that this was one of the very few times in my life that I have started to read a book and have not stuck with it to the end, even if only through sheer stubbornness. The author apparently doesn't have even the most basic grasp of fundamental English grammar and I found the part of the book that I read to be more of a laborious proofreading exercise than a leisurely read. I would strongly advise against this book and am utterly flabbergasted at the number of reviews saying that it is well written as this could not be further from the truth.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crap, 3 Aug 2013
Mw "jenwin" (northern ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Zombie Chronicles: Outbreak (Kindle Edition)
Blah blah blah, first book I couldn't finish.when zombies start doing their own washing and drive around, I think it's time to quit. Bad!

1.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the worst take ever on Zombieism, 21 May 2013
This review is from: The Zombie Chronicles: Outbreak (Kindle Edition)
While this had some potential with the storyline, it was badly let down in 2 major areas. For one, the "zombies" were presented as nothing more than cannibals. They were, for the most part, smart, articulate and reasoning. They could talk perfectly and looked just like humans. Laughably, they were telepaths, had heat seeking vision and possessed healing powers to the extent that they could even grow new limbs if they were lost.

But it was the prose of the writing which was the biggest flaw. "I am very sorry", "I did not mean to do that", "it is 5 o'clock", "I will not do that" - people don't talk like that. They say "I didn't mean to do that" or I won't do that". The fact that this version was the umpteenth attempt the author had made at cleaning it up just made it all the worse.

If you're looking for a decent Zombie Apocalypse read, go for The Walking Dead: Rise Of The Governor or the Elements Of The Undead series. Far more readable and enjoyable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kaz, 2 May 2013
This review is from: The Zombie Chronicles: Outbreak (Kindle Edition)
I thought this book was rubbish ,I only got a few chapters in and had to stop reading as soon as one of the ,zombies started talking as if! I am a real fan of zombie films and books but this book is appalling I feel that I have been robbed of the money I had paid for it.I would not recommend this book to anyone who likes the old fashioned zombies.I have to give the book a star so I can submit my review but otherwise I would not have given it any as it is one of the worst books I have read so far.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a zombie novel more like a vampire novel, 5 July 2014
This review is from: The Zombie Chronicles: Outbreak (Kindle Edition)
This book was really badly written. It was full of editing mistakes and it is the worst zombies I have ever read about. It was more like vampires zombies should not be able to talk or make statigies. They got stonger and more intelligent by drinking blood soory but that does not fit a zombie story. However the actual plot worked well if you kiss the bit were the zombies go looking for revenge. Zombie novels are about how the human race adapt and deal with things and how the biggest monsters of all are the living.

3.0 out of 5 stars Different idea but edited poorly, 24 May 2014
This review is from: The Zombie Chronicles: Outbreak (Kindle Edition)
As a fan of Zompoc I am enjoying the mass of new novels being released on the genre. As a free download I don't feel as robbed as if I had paid for it. Badly written, spelling errors and generally poorly edited in many places took away my overall enjoyment. Not sure of intelligent zombies either.

3.0 out of 5 stars Read this book, 14 May 2014
This review is from: The Zombie Chronicles: Outbreak (Kindle Edition)
This was a great book that really grabs you in and won't let go and I can't wait to read the next addition

4.0 out of 5 stars None, 13 Oct 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable book, 18 May 2013
This review is from: The Zombie Chronicles: Outbreak (Kindle Edition)
I liked this story and will be buying the next two so I can see how things pan out for the characters. For me, it's not a true zombie novel since the zombies can think, communicate and manipulate others. However, I like this interesting twist.
Other reviews have mentioned grammatical errors and there are still some which is what made me big it 4 stars instead of 5. If the author was to go through and change the overused 'I am' to 'I'm' then it would be a much more pleasurable read.

The Zombie Chronicles: Outbreak