5.0 out of 5 stars Steep
The best ski movie I have ever seen. No silly soundtracks, no inane interviews - just amazing skiing and a wonderful mini history of the extreme, told by some of the people involved. The sections in Chamonix and Alaska are breathtaking.
Published on 6 July 2009 by I. Berry

2.0 out of 5 stars could be so much better in HD
this is a good review of how extreme and off piste skiing came about and is a good documentary , it contains some good footage . But it really lacks in definition , it would be so much better in HD and is really quite low res. I am disappointed with this aspect as it could be great stuff but isnt there with latest standards , you can get better HQ quality on Utube and...
Published 21 months ago by victorgadget

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Steep, 6 July 2009
I. Berry - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Pushing the Limits., 26 July 2010
Bob Salter "Captain Spindrift" (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Steep [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I have often stared up, and occasionally down, some pretty awesome slopes in the Alps. It is pretty hairy just being on the edge, but the thought of throwing yourself down them on just a pair of skis simply beggars belief. The thought came to me that you must either have supreme confidence in your ability, or an almost insane disregard for your own safety to undertake such a venture. But of course the world is full of such adrenalin junkies, the most extreme of which continually push the boundaries of what is achievable.

These types are personified by Bill Briggs, who was the first man to undertake such a venture when he decided to ski down the Grand Teton in the early seventies. No one believed him until they saw his ski tracks impossibly weaving down the mountain. This tradition was followed by others who are interviewed in this documentary. There is some incredible accompanying footage of their exploits. One daredevil skiing straight off the Col Du Midi, a place I know quite well. But as with all sports, someone sets new standards of excellence, like a Bob Beamon or a Usain Bolt, but sooner or later some freak of nature will come along and rewrite the records. Such is the case with extreme skiing as this film demonstrates. We see the likes of Doug Coombs taking on the immense pristine Alaskan mountains, the home of the extreme skiing world championships. We see other enthusiasts pushing the limits in my favourite resort Chamonix, home of the big ones.

When in Norway some years ago I spoke to my glacier guide who was an oldish guy in his sixties. He informed me that he did an awful lot of skiing in the winter. When I mentioned there did not seem to be many lifts in the area, he laughed and informed me you simply climbed a mountain and skied down it. This is undoubtedly the purest way to ski, and the film ends with Andrew McLean who is the most extreme exponent of this sport, going to such far away places as Patagonia and Iceland. There is not a helicopter or lift in sight. If you can't climb the mountain, you don't get to ski it, simple as that. But perhaps most importantly the documentary does not shy away from the costs of such risk taking. Doug Coombs who died in an avalanche in 2006, speaks like a ghost from the grave. His widow sums it up when she says "Sometimes the mountains can just swallow you up". The average person might quite sanely ask "Is it really worth it". I believe it has always been mans destiny to continually push the boundaries. Without such men we would never have conquered the air, and eventually sent men to the moon. To live life without any risk at all, is not to have lived. This is a fascinating documentary about these pathfinders with some breathtaking action. It is a snip at the time of this review, and a bargain for anyone interested in extreme skiing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must see for any Big Mountain ski fans!!!, 13 May 2009
Daniel Clay "Dan" (UK) - See all my reviews
Steep is a must see for any Big Mountain ski fans!
I found it utterly inspiring, from the amazing camera work to the unbelievable level of skiing, it made my hair stand on end from start to finish.

Plus Blizzard of Aahhhs is a great little extra, I loved watching Glen Plake rip on those massive old 2.3m tooth picks!!

RIP Shane McConkey

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, 13 May 2009
Addictive. Amazing movie if you are into backcountry skiing. I would have loved more action filming than interviews with the most noteworthy extreme skiers in the world but still very engaging movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars steep dvd, 17 Feb 2012
Extraordinary documentary film. I was expecting
flashy skiing and there is some amazing footage but this film gets down to the reason i think we all ski. The insights into the truly awesome men and women whose skills take them further than most of us can go are beautifully portrayed. Particulary thought provoking are those moments spent with those who have now died doing what they love, without any hint of regret or pathos. I have watched this 4 times already! the talk over by 2 of the skiers is also excellent and gives yet another dimension to this amazing inspiring movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth watching, 15 Mar 2010
This is a very motivating video for anyone interested in skiing outside their comfort zone. Exciting stuff; with insights into the lives of those who excel at this sport.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Steep, 11 Nov 2008
More of a documentary covering the history of big mountain skiing than an "all action" ski movie and non the worse for it.

Respect to the guys featured, doing crazy stuff in the early years on skinny, long ski's.

4.0 out of 5 stars Snow & Mountains.....what more could you want, 20 Jan 2009
Steep is an excellent documentary story about various individuals and their quest for the perfect big mountain experience. It's got the usual array of jaw-dropping shots of skiers dropping down mountain sides that would reduce the average skier to tears and visually it's pretty spectacular. What makes this film different to most that have come before is the quality of the commentary and interviews. It feels like you're going on a journey with the people involved. Some of it's a history lesson, some of it's about where they are now and some of it's pretty tragic, but it's always interesting to follow.

If you're thing is skiing/snowboarding you'll not want to miss it. But be warned, you'll probably be reaching for a brochure and booking a holiday as soon as you get to the final credits because you WILL want to be there!!

The version I got included the film "Blizzard of Aahhhs" on a second DVD. This is THE classic off-piste film that really put this type of film on the map. If you haven't seen it you'll want to. It's showing it's age these days, but it's a very worthwhile addition and is a nice addition to the package. Look out for some seriously retro outfits....

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of double disc set STEEP (2007) and BLIZZARD OF AAHHH'S (1988), 9 May 2014
My rating of 5 stars is the overall rating for both films, 3 stars for steep, and if I could 7 for BLIZZARD.

I viewed both films on a 40 inch led full HD TV upscaled via a Blu-ray player. Picture quality was pin sharp and clear for the contemporary film in STEEP, with archive inserts for this and the film BLIZZARD being slightly grainy but still pretty good and perfectly acceptable. I fed the audio through a separate Hi-Fi amp and speakers, sound reproduction was excellent, with the music sound quality on BLIZZARD outstanding.

STEEP is a well made documentary film with some truly spectacular and breathtaking shots of mountain scenery and ski stunts.
The film is let down, for me, by too many pictures of people talking and not enough action. There are some brighter moments to this film, but mostly it has a mawkish and melancholy feel to it, with dreary music to match. It gives the impression, at times, of being a little bit too much up itself. Considering the history and stunts performed I was surprised Willy Bogner and Rick Sylvester didn't merit a mention. However, the film was an education for me, I liked the story of Bill Briggs, and I enjoyed the sequence with Seth Morrison and then Shane McConkey in particular.

I didn't think much of BLIZZARD or its soundtrack when I first saw it not long after its release, but now around 25 years later, I love it, I think it's wonderful. I find this film very uplifting, it evokes the sheer joy and excitement of alpine skiing. The music suits the on-screen action very well, and enhanced my enjoyment.
The skiers are captured on film very well, and it all looks great, with bright colours against blue skies, very bright snow and impressive mountain scenery.

I enjoyed watching skiers disappear almost completely under fantastic powder snow, Scott Schmidt's cool adjustment of his goggles while cartwheeling though the air, Glen Plake's neat and stylish skiing on very long, thin, elegant skis.

In hindsight a remarkable film, and as far as I can tell, made without use of very expensive helicopters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, downside is the usual RedBull Corp Sponsorship, 16 April 2014
This review is from: Steep [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I have seen quite a few films on climbing and skiing and a lot of them tends to loose the balance between profound and pretentious, but this one is really excellent. A lot of good footage and interesting, solid interviews with some of the greatest legends in the sport. Only drawback is a lot of RedBull Logo's appearing on some of the participating skiers, which is a little bit sad since that company has made "extreme sports" more or less synonymous with a drink that makes Vodka taste a little more appealing. Skiing should be associated with adventure and fun, not with corporations... But, with that little caveat, I can really recommend this film. I truly enjoyed it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Steep [DVD] [2007]
Steep [DVD] [2007] by Mark Obenhaus (DVD - 2009)
4.17