Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 8 September 2012
I buy my Blu Ray discs without very much thought beforehand. I love nature films and I'm always looking to add to my collection and the way I do things is if the price is low anyway then another Bluray disc is most welcome. Everyone likes different things and some people will love this and others wont for no other reason than personal preference. From my personal point of view it doesn't give me what I really like as this production has been filmed to be 'Arty' rather than 'Factual' or 'Educational' and I like factual and educational. You will learn nothing from this BluRay about Marine wildlife. It is all about fancy camera work and sea life to music.

To be honest the camerawork is not fabulous either as nearly everything comes in shades of Blue and Grey with very little colour range. From a visual perpective and to put the Blu Ray player through its paces and view in awe sharp vivid colours I would be better going for a Blu Ray of the Great Barrier Reef or similar. Most of the camera work on Atlantis is done viewing upwards towards the surface of the water which means much of the time the filming is dazzled by intruding sunshine and very often not well focused. With close Ups and when the camera is actually still long enough the pin sharp HD quality is all there but that is not often. At other times such as when the sunlight is dazzling the filming it is more like picture quality off a VHS Tape rather than an HD BluRay disc. The dominance of blue and grey is probably to be expected when filming fish in the sea but I wasn't impressed by Atlantis. The music backing track is quite nice and didn't annoy me but neither is the music anything special either in my opinion. The disc is also rather short by BluRay standards so the low price doesnt mean great value per minute. Personally I rate Atlantis 3 stars but I can fully understand that some other people who like this arty kind of thing will give it 5 stars so to balance things out I will go for 4 stars.
on 1 April 2003
Fans of Luc Besson's more action packed work (Nikita, Leon etc) may find this a little tame, but fans of The Big Blue will be delighted to be taken on an extended journey to the undersea world.
Imagine The Big Blue with all the dreary human characters taken out and you'll have an idea of what this is - one long undersea exploration. Divided into emotive themes such as light, love and hatred, each showcasing sea creatures that epitomise the theme. Hatred show sharks attacking in a feeding frenzy, and Great Whites come up to the camera and bare their teeth. Love shows two turtles engaged in courtship rituals.
There's no commentary at all, but the stunning cinematography is breathtaking and crystal clear on DVD. I found the music either really enhanced the visual experience, or in a few places really jarred (especially more pop song type music).
Overall, I found it to be a deeply soothing, frequently beautiful and occasionally funny experience. If you gasped with wonder at some of the footage in the Blue Planet series then you'll love this too - even if it doesn't actually say anything about the creatues on screen.
on 16 March 2006
this dvd claims wondrous things, and on the whole i wasn't disappointed..though it was slighter and shorter than anticipated. The photography really was breathtaking at times, especially when the dawn was breaking from beneath the sea. It begins with dolphins, and ends with sharks..their opposite natures being defined by the shots thenselves. It was lovely to have a wordless view. The music was usually sensitively aligned, and at times humourous too. I just wish it had been longer and with more on the plants and underwater landscapes, though the ones there were good.
on 26 April 2003
This simply the best documentary/drama of underwater marine life ever made. The cinematography is incredible, the music score is mind-blowing, anad the director has made this film a masterpiece. I you ever wanted to bond with an animal, this film lets you do that. It is a highly touching and engrossing movie that will leave you in tears. You will feel your heart move in ways like never before. Buy it for yourself, your children, your family, and your friends.
on 16 November 2000
If you are an underwater world lover or not, does not matter. Once you have experianced the Beauty of "Atlantis", you will be mesmerized and you would want to go diving into that world. Luc Besson created a true Masterpiece that will live long in the memory of those that experiance it. The impeccable combination of underwater shots and the music, has never been reached before. Mantas, Whales, Sea snakes, and even SHARKS dance to the music of this unforgetable film.
on 10 May 2013
If you just enjoy watching pictures of sealife with no commentary then this is a good choice. The music and occasional categories e.g. movement are superfluous. This would do well as a background film on TV when entertaining even - and our cats enjoyed watching the fish too. If you want a story, suspense, the dulcet tones of David Attenborough, sorry but you wont find them here. All the better.
on 5 May 2000
If you're interested in life below sea-level and also liked "Big Blue" then this underwater epos is a must ! Luc Besson and Eric Serra did a magnificent job in combining underwater scenes and music. There are no human actors and no verbal dialogs. Just the music playing with images... When a manta ray raises from behind a ship wreck and female opera singer starts to sing... I can't help but I get shivers down my spine. I can't wait until this masterpiece comes out on DVD (hopefully in DTS) !
on 10 December 2012
The quality of this DVD is disappointing. Many amateur video enthusiasts wouldn't have much trouble getting better shots. The main problem is that the videographer has made no attempt to white balance his camera, hence the footage has a green, washed-out hue to it. If the camera had been properly white balanced the colours would have "popped out", to use the jargon - the depth at which the footage was taken is not that deep. Also, the close-up shots would have benefitted enormously if video lights had been used. A shame really as the subject matter throughout the DVD is what many divers dream of seeing and here the videographer has not made the best of what are superb opportunities. Amateurish I am afraid.
on 26 August 2001
This is the most wonderful "documentary," if that's what you want to call it, I've ever seen! It has all the things you look for in a great movie; comedy, love, fear and lots of beautiful camera work and music, minus all the annoying chit-chat. If you ever get the chance to see it, and believe me it doesn't happen often, then take it!
give this film a chance and you'll love it! I saw it years ago and it still has a lasting impression... there are amazing images set to beautiful music and all together it gives you a real feeling of life underwater as well as a love of the sea. I would recommend it to anyone!