5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Hilarious!!
Well, what can I say! This has got to be the funniest film I have ever seen and their are just soo many classic moments and quotes that it is impossible to list them all here.
The 'Stonehenge' scene alone makes it my favourite comedy EVER, but that is not all it has to offer. Who could forget the famous amp scene (these go to eleven) or the pod prop diaster...
Published on 23 Jan 2005 by sarah18791

3.0 out of 5 stars Film Goes to 11, Blu-Ray goes to 6
Given Amazon are lumping all versions of Spinal Tap together for review purposes: just to be clear, this is about the 25th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray only.

There's little point reviewing the film "This Is Spinal Tap": it's enough to say it's both a cinema and rock'n'roll classic that's spawned hundreds of catch-phrases ("Hello Cleveland", "It's one louder",...
Published on 24 Feb 2010 by jcmacc

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, I tell you, utter genius., 11 April 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: This Is Spinal Tap (VHS Tape)
I am tormented by a persistent worry that I am unworthy to even comment on such a fantastic film. In fact, it is difficult to find the words to describe its brilliance. Frankly, this is one of the greatest movies of all time. It is an absolutely perfect satirisation of the Rock industry, which is so funny you will be in pain from laughing. The funniest aspect of this film is that it is put across as being absolutely serious. If you are not a Tapper, it is time you saw the light, so...grab a cricket bat and some undersized bread, put an armadillo down your trousers and turn those amps up to eleven.
Tonight they're gonna rock you!

5.0 out of 5 stars The rock band that every rock wanted and still want to be., 5 Sep 2005
This is one of the most cleverist and realistic films I have every seen. It varies from cringing, shamless and embarresing moments to unbearably funny moments. It shows everything that a rock band does and should do from the roadies to the manager.
The DVD itself is very userfriendly and easy to use in terms of menu's etc.
If you like shamless rock music, you should own this DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 8 Oct 2014
ok

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Rockumentary, 24 Feb 2002
If you haven't spent endless nights down the pub with your mates talking about people you know who have "this much talent", the small difference between stupid and clever, a life like Frank's and walking out the toilet to shout "Hello Cleveland", well, you haven't lived. If you want to lead such a life, buy this DVD, watch fifty times and laugh successively harder at every viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fans of heavy metal beware, 10 Sep 2011
G. Booth (Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
Wow..erm, where to start.....simples. If you are fan of Rush, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Whitesnake, The Who or any other band of the rock genre do not buy, do not steal, do not watch this film. I made the cardinal sin of seeing this film some time ago and then I bought the re-release DVD remaster of Le Zeppelin's 'The Song remains the same'....what can I say but it was ruined....I was ruined....rock music was ....well you get the point.

The biting satire and comdic observation of a 'hard working British Rock band on Tour' has indeed captures the sights, the sounds and...yes the smells.

Warning Warning, this will ruin you for ever watching a rock band dvd ever again. I can't even listen to RUSH anymore, Fly By night just gave me a starnge sense of self loathing...

They play it straight, and yet.... every pompous rock video, film or short before or after has been taken on and shown for its pretentious self publicising nasciscism... A truely brilliant film. But what do I do now with all my heavy metal albums...I guess its Country and Western or Folk music from now on as these are beyond parody. Along with Blade runner, Apocalypse Now and Pulp Fiction in my all time top ten movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's One Louder, Isn't it?, 29 Mar 2001
By A Customer
Worshipful. This film is perfectly aimed, not at those who know about the "topsy-turvy world of rock and roll", but those who think they do. We all know plenty of Tufnels and Smalls, lie back, press play, and be amused.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dobly and Yakkin (there I've said it !), 1 May 2002
Ok lets get the facts out of the way. The first DVD contains the second best Rock’n’Roll
film ever.
So what’s on the second DVD …. The song videos are disappointing, movie footage
with better recordings of the songs over them. But as we all know Rock should not be recorded in dobly. The movie trailers are fun, especially the one about Scandinavians. But the adverts for some strange Australian snack are for obsessive fan only.
The most interesting material on the DVD are the scenes removed from the movie. The film would have been radically different if they had been left in.
They are the scenes that flesh out the characters, making them truer to the Rock’n’Roll stereotype but less appealing as human beings, (which proves how pervasive the film has become when one is talking about the appeal of fictional characters).
What is left is a cartoon version of a band, the removed scenes are the true bits of life on the road, bland casual sex, the terminal pick up lines, the diseases, drugs, the bored ritual humiliation of employees, bickering about money, the telephone divorces.
Why remove them. Why take the sex and drugs out of Rock’n’Roll. With them the film would have become a Documentary and not a "rockumentary" . The second best Rock’n’Roll film is better because it actually denies most of the truth about it’s subject.
The music business at best is a fantasy world populated by repressed adults with the minds of spoilt children. So even in a comedy film lets not damage the dream with a hint of reality. Hey but enough of my yakkin.
If you are a fan and the film the special edition DVD is an excellent buy.
There may be a simpler answer to the removed footage. They have removed all the flab from the film. Like the Stooges’ Raw Power. Wire’s Pink Flag, and The Hives’ Your New Favorite Band. There is not a second wasted. And that has to be the films greatest achievement, and the truest invocation of Rock’n’Roll.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is Spinal Tap Blu Ray, 2 Mar 2010
Peter M. Durkacz (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
The first time I saw Spinal Tap It felt so real that I actually thought it was a doco about a real Band. When I found out they were not a real band I was disappointed.
However it is still one of the absolute best Rock Movies ever and to have it on Blu Ray is a Godsend

5.0 out of 5 stars Goes all the way to 11, 10 Jan 2010
I bought this as a gift for a friend and he loves it. Of course, I knew he was a fan of the movie, but that's not the point. It's fun and surprisingly functional - a bit like Spinal Tap themselves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed views, 19 Mar 2010
Mr. J. Livitt "jegmeister" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is Spinal Tap - 25th Anniversary Edition [DVD] (DVD)
Let me first of all say I haven't seen this 25th anniversary edition but I am basing my review on the original which I have seen several times over the years.

There's no doubt this is a very funny spoof. It captures perfectly the mentality of some of the worst excesses of Heavy Rock bands of this era. By playing it straight, it captures the sense of ridiculousness perfectly.

However, it only gets 4 stars not 5. Why you ask? Well, I'm a Heavy Rock fan. I've loved and followed this style of music for many years.

And like most of us fans, have been ridiculed and treated with a kind of smug pompous arrogant disdain for years - as though it isn't "real" music and therefore can't be taken seriously.

And it is an attitude that I'm afraid that I see in some of the reviews on here. People who seem to be saying in effect - "there you go, told you - it just shows everything I've been saying about heavy rock".

We haven't had spoof documentaries about any other forms of music. How about the oblique pretentiousness of some of the Indie bands - Joy Division, REM.

Or the loud-mouthed and self-important yobbery of Oasis.

Even the X-Factor with its trite and contrived approach.

Wouldn't it be nice for someone to ridicule them?

But no - all these are part of the music establishment. So they would never be ridiculed in the way this form of music is.

Heavy Rock has for years suffered from this attitude and much of it stems from this spoof. It has allowed people to join in with the arrogant dismissal of this type of music.

Of course, that won't have been what the makers intended but it's true none the less.

So I can never get as enthused as I would like over this. It's a great shame that this is the case and hopefully people will be more open-mided about this form of music in future than they have been.

This Is Spinal Tap - 25th Anniversary Edition [DVD]