5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album
I heard one track from this album on Radio 2 and loved it. I was so inspired by what I heard that as soon as I was able to I tracked down the album and bought it - and I have no regrets. The music of this man is wonderful, really relaxing - ideal to listen to when you want to chill out (I wouldn't recommend it for in the car, you might relax too much). I think the album...
Published on 4 Jun 2009 by Debbie Stringer

3.0 out of 5 stars My thoughts!
I bought this CD having heard a couple of tracks on Radio 2, Jeremy Vine show... I love Gurrumul's sound, 'though when listening to it from start to finish, it is a bit same-ey, with most of the tracks being very similar in sound, tempo, guitar, etc... Very much a background music CD, but he does have a fab voice.
Published on 12 July 2009 by Ali

2.0 out of 5 stars triumph of hype over substance, or maybe the emperors new clothes, 23 July 2009
This review is from: Gurrumul (Audio CD)
i know that this is an unpopular viewpoint, but in all honesty, to my ears, this is dull, dull, dull. every song sounds like a simple 20 second refrain, that is repeated for 5 minutes or so, never growing, developing or gaining my interest. to make it worse, each track sounds exactly like the last. i have to admit that i have only played this album once, and i stand to be corrected, but life really is too short. some of my favourite cds, i hated on first listening, but they at least caught my attention and made me want to listen again. this almost sent me to sleep on the motorway.

the man undoubtedly has a beautiful voice and a pretty, uncomplicated guitar style, (and i know that he has had to overcome real adversity, growing up blind in one of the most deprived societies on earth) and i am sure that hearing a single track on the radio, it would sound lovely, but a whole hour of the same thing is just excruciatingly tedious.

If you think that this music is lovely, i urge you to listen to Ayub Ogada's "En Mana Kuoyo" or "Songhai" by Ketama, Toumani Diabati & Danny Thompson. There really is so much better than this available to be discovered & heard

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 12 Nov 2014
Brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Sep 2014
Great CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars surprisingly clear and original sound, 21 Sep 2009
Hajo P. Strik - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gurrumul (Audio CD)
I did make a mistake when ordering this CD and accidently ordered 2 CD's, but that did not matter.
The sound of Gummurul was a revelation and thus surprising a friend with this CD was a joy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Geoffrey Gurrumul, 12 Oct 2009
This review is from: Gurrumul (Audio CD)
Hauntingly beautiful melodies which are very soothing but become "samey" if you listen too long and often. Have occasional break from listening and you won't regret your purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heard on the radio, 30 Dec 2009
F. Jacobsen (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gurrumul (Audio CD)
I heard this artist when he was a guest on a radio programme and wanted to hear more. The CD was well worth adding to my collecton.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Aug 2014
Good

4.0 out of 5 stars Gurrumul, 9 Nov 2009
J. Wood (Shropshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gurrumul (Audio CD)
A very good distinctive, different and melodic CD. A little more variety in the tracks would have been better because there was a 'sameness' about many of them. It might have been difficult to achieve given that the CD was an interpretation of his people's stories. Recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars tedious, 27 Aug 2009
P. Cory "Pete" (lincolnshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gurrumul (Audio CD)
Bought this for my wife she loves it and doesn't stop playing it I find the tracks all very much the same tedious and boring

1.0 out of 5 stars Banal incomprehensible repetitive rubbish, 16 Oct 2009
This review is from: Gurrumul (Audio CD)
Radio 2 (in the UK) keep playing tracks from this and I have to tune to another channel to avoid this stuff.

Banal, incomprehensible, repetitive rubbish.

Gurrumul
Gurrumul by Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu (Audio CD - 2009)