5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!
I purchased this after watching a kids show using magnets and cardboard to make metal items 'magically move' using a hidden magnet like this. My 3 year old loved it, so we ordered this online.

Published on 9 Jan 2012 by r.f

3.0 out of 5 stars Good size, pretty weak
The magnet is attractive to look at but rather weaker than I would have hoped. I would be very surprised if it could pull anything like 1kg in weight.
Published 12 months ago by Chris Warwick

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: Magnet Expert 75 x 39 x 8mm Traditional Alnico Horseshoe Magnet for Schools and Education (Pack of 1) (DIY & Tools)

From the item description, the magnet is not too big and I wondered if it would be powerful enough. But this is just the right size and weight for a child and I was surprised that for its size, it was quite powerful. If it had been more powerful, it would be hard for a child to remove items from the magnet.

As soon as it was opened, we did the 'magic trick' using cardboard and the small bit of metal that comes with it. My son went through EVERYTHING in sight to see if it was metal. The metal that didn't stick, he referred to as 'not real metal'. The only way I could convince him to leave the house was to see if my car was metal!!

Very educational and fun!

Delivery prompt and wrapped well - posted through letter box.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab item, 5 Jan 2012
Great product. It is sturdy and just like the one I had when I was younger. My four year old loves it and spent most of Christmas day running around the house seeing what things were magnetic!! Definitely recommend!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and reliable for picking up pins & needles etc. And great fun for kids / Educational, 10 Dec 2013
WendyB (East Anglia UK) - See all my reviews
I sometimes like to walk around barefoot indoors, and, after a couple of recent spillages of pins - and on other occasions wondering where on earth a needle might have got to - I thought it would be a good idea to acquire a nice strong magnet to effectively deal with such hazards. This nice-looking little magnet (75 x 39 x 8mm) is perfect for the job. It is small but chunky, and with a good strong "pull" on the poles. (It is also a great educational 'toy' - kids will love seeing what they can do with it, while learning about magnetism.)

The product details don't seem to mention 2 useful things: 1) that it also comes with a thin metal "keeper" to place over the poles when not in use, and 2) it is supplied in a fairly strong, clear plastic case. These should prevent any mishaps when not in use, eg. if it was accidentally stored near electronic equipment or items such as cassettes etc that are magnet-sensitive. Excellent quality product, recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Horsehoe Magnet, 30 July 2012
Mr. T. M. Gray "Reloader" (Gwent, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought the product as I'm always losing small magnetic metal items (i.e. allen keys, torx wrenches, etc.) when shooting. It works a treat and I've already saved the cost of the magnet by recovering 5 or 6 of these "lost" items. Excellent value.

5.0 out of 5 stars good quality magnet, 27 Oct 2013
I actually bought this for myself to collect up pins after sewing but our grandchildren have already had great fun playing with it

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnet, 22 Jun 2014
Having been used to being constantly repelled, I'm very pleased with this device as it never fails to attract, that is of course assuming the object you are trying to attract is ferrous and of an opposite electromagnetic field than the magnet end in question. It is important to note however that this device does not attract females.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as strong as it looks, 17 May 2014
Fine for kids to play with as an educational tool, but it's pretty weak. Doesn't even hold it's own weight.

1.0 out of 5 stars WAS LOOKING FOR SOMETHING STRONGER, 6 May 2014
Wasn't any good for what I wanted it for. ( a metal object fell between the seat of my car and I thought this would retrieve it). Not very strong, wouldn't even support itself against my fridge. Gave it away to a friends child with a load of paperclips, etc for him to play with - he loves it.......

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as strong as it thinks, 28 April 2014
As a number of other reviewers have attested, this magnet seems incapable of achieving the lifting strength attributed to it in the product description, or indeed on the label attached to the packaging. I found it was only just capable of holding contact when used to drag a 1 Kg weight across a flat surface, and failed totally to even start to lift that weight, let alone support it. My estimate would be more in the region of half that quoted.

2.0 out of 5 stars Simply too weak as a magnet, 21 April 2014
David Cook (Barcelona, Spain) - See all my reviews
It's a bit hard to say how strong you "need" a magnet to be, but this doesn't make the grade. If it can't hold a clip through a piece of paper, it simply isn't much use to do any of the experiments I'd though to show my kid. Oh well...we'll keep trying!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›