on 19 February 2010
I have this installed on a quiet pc. The drive is usably quiet as well but not silent. It is certainly allot quieter than a standard DVD rewriter drive I have. It has played many DVD's and blu rays no problem. It was easy to plug in and set up. It set its regions based on the disks I put in and set-up to play 1080p through HDMI output was uneventful. The colour is a touch lighter than by black case, but it is exactly the same colour as a different brand black DVD writer that I have. So the colour maybe a standard. The extras are PowerDVD and a sata cable. I was not impressed with PowerDVD. It required a large patch and has logins for different things that I don't necessarily want. I changed to Arcsoft Totalmedia Theatre and have been very impressed with it's abilities and simplicity. I am disappointed that Windows 7 does not just play Blu Rays through its media players due to it's well integrated media centre. Neither PowerDVD of TotalMedia integrates with media centre perfectly.
on 13 June 2010
I live abroad and was not able to buy this through Amazon, had to buy it locally (in Norway). It was dead easy to install in the HTPC I have just built (I have an external DVD burner I can run from a USB-port on the rare occasions that I actually would save something to disc) and has run without problems ever since. It gives flawless home cinema in combination with Power DVD version 10 in 64-bit Win 7. I would strongly recommend that you do not install the Power DVD version 8 that comes with this product, or at least make very sure that you have run a full system back-up before you do so.
on 25 March 2011
The Blu-Ray side of it plays fine though I can't update the firmware because I'm using Win 7 64bit (firmware will only install in 32bit windows). I actually thought this drive had DVD-RW built in as well but it didn't it's just a DVD-ROM drive! Bummer, I guess I should have paid more attention to the description. I just assumed as practically every drive out there has DVD-RW capabilities
on 23 May 2010
Firstly, I bought this item on first-class delivery and thankfully it was received in pristine condition. Installation was relatively straight-forward, in that I simply unscrewed the cover for the system unit and unplugged the DVD-RW drive and plugged in this drive (data cable already in computer). Afterwards, I inserted the software/driver provided with the drive and installed that successfully as well.

Lastly, I downloaded the latest update patch for the driver and it was all systems go! The device has worked perfectly to this day. I watch dvds and blu-ray discs with no problems whatsoever. If you're thinking of upgrading to a blu-ray drive or simply want to enjoy stunning blu-ray movies without wanting to pay excessively for it, this is the option as it's affordable.
on 23 July 2010
The drive itself is great, it's a fairly average piece of kit. HOWEVER be warned! There are no open source BluRay players yet, this in itself is not an issue, except all the current software available is totally rubbish! With DVDs you can skip your way through those annoying copyright notices and those unskippable trailers thanks to gems like VLC or mplayer - with bluray, not so much. When Disney insist you must sit through trailer after trailer and a dozen legal notices, you have to put up with it. Also, PowerDVD (which is the software packaged with the drive) turns off 'aero' (the transparent bit in Windows Vista/7) whenever you play a BluRay, this itself is extremely irritating. I have a feeling this may be a DRM requirement.

To purchase software to fix the last issue listed above will cost more than the drive itself. No matter what internal drive you buy at the moment you will have the same issue. If you have been on the fence, I suggest waiting another 12 months until the software situation improves.
66 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 October 2010
Great drive does the job well and it's whisper quite.Liteon IHOS104-37 4x Internal Blu-ray Bare Drive With Software
on 8 December 2009
The drive installed very easyly on my Vista 64bit machine as did the supplied software then it decided it needed to update its self and went off to PowerDVD's site and downloaded a newer version of its self and installed it.
The I found something I liked very much,You can set it to what ever Blue Ray Region you want so if you go to the US a lot you can now buy the latest blockbuster movies ( Which come out so much earler than here) and play them in this drive.
Its cheap anough to have one Region A and one Region B if you do not mind losing a pair of Sata ports or have one of the newer motherboards with lots of ports for drives OR find a external caddy and use it in a external sata socket that most of the new machines have.
on 12 February 2010
I've had this drive installed for a month or so in a Windows 7 Media Centre PC (64 bit).

The drive was simple to install in my Origin AE S16T case and much quieter than my original Samsung DVD drive. The supplied PowerDVD software is easy to setup and I have had no problems with any of the discs I've played on it so far. The software is version 8 but you can upgrade to version 9 at a discount if you need the latest and greatest.

I couldn't really wish for anything more at the price.
on 5 October 2009
I bought the bare bone version of this drive for use in my media player (Popcorn Hour C200). Apart from forgetting to plug it into my computer first and set the DVD region by putting a DVD in it, it works well. Both Bluray and DVD work flawlessly and I have no operational problems with it.

The only problem I do have is the facia is a greyish black were I would have preferred a true black front, as this would have matched the C200. Otherwise not a bother and I would recommend it as an internal drive.
on 13 June 2011
I bought this Liteon Drive to replace a dying DVD-ROM drive in a standalone Duplicator, I duplicate my own video DVDs and have recently been asked for them in Blu-ray format, the duplicator target drive is already a BD-R burner, so what better time to change the source drive. The drive is relatively quiet, works well & fits my bill as I only needed a BD-Rom drive & not another writer (THIS IS NOT A BURNER!!!), the build seems ok too so all in all it seems at the time of writing to be a good buy - by the way it was one of the few drives recommended by the manufacturer of the Duplicator that could be used as a replacement unit. Obviously it will still read CDs & DVDs. I cannot comment about the software that came with the drive as I will never need to use it, although from others I have spoken to it seems to be a bit out of date. But the Drive gets 5 Stars from Me.