5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Shave
Simply the best Shaver I have bought to date. Closest, smoothest shave with a smooth delivery of the Shaving Conditioner on demand. Never had a sore face since using this Shaver and it flexes so well that it gets all of the stubble in every nook and cranny.
Published on 20 Sep 2010 by JoRoCo

3.0 out of 5 stars The Middle of Three Electric Shavers
I have the dubious privilege of trying out three electric shavers. This one, the Braun Series 3 340 Braun Series 3 340 Rechargeable Wet and Dry Foil Electric Shaver and the Remington F7790Remington F7790 Flex n Pivot Foil Rechargeable Shaver Diamond 360.

The Philips I would probably rate as my second favourite after the Remington.

Positives:...
Published on 26 Jan 2010 by Peter R

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Shave, 20 Sep 2010
This review is from: Philips Nivea For Men Coolskin HS8440 Rechargeable Shaver With Precision Sideburns Trimmer (Personal Care)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Shaver I've bought, 16 Feb 2011
R. Sheffer (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
I have suffered a lot from ingrown hairs which caused me serious bumps on my face. Using razors were the worst then I switched to beard clippers which reduced the problem by 70%. I then stumbled upon an African American forum and one of the subjects at hand were was the Philips Norelco Electric Shaver. Many people on the site claimed that the shaver is worth its weight in gold and completely eliminated their ingrown hair problem. Living in the UK I soon found that the product is marketed under various different names. Basically the advise on the forum was to get a Philips 3x Rotary Shaver that says "Lift & Cut".

After searching the web I came accross a few and decided on the Philips HS8440 from amazon. The price was very good too. The first time I used it I was surprised with the smoothest shave I've had in years. After I shaved I washed my face and applied tea tree oil followed by alloe vera gel to prevent any irritations. I was nervous that after this smooth shave my face would be bombarded with ingrown hairs and razor bumps but no. This did not happen. A day had passed and it was time to shave again. Same procedure shave, wash face and dry then apply tea tree oil followed by alloe vera gel. I've now used the shaver 4 times and my face is baby smooth. No ingrown hairs and my skin is healing alarming quite from the damage of years of ingrown hairs had caused. All I can say is that I wish I had known about this shaver before. It makes me look forward to shaving now.

The shaver is well built and light. No need to apply pressure when shaving. It comes with a free can of nivea shaving balm which you pump into the shaver. This is then applied to your face while you shave via pressing a button on the shaver. Ingenious design. Let the rotary heads do all the work. For an electric shaver it is one of the quietist I've come accross. To clean just hold it under a hot water tap for 30 seconds as per instructions and that's it.

Once again... best shaver I've bought and if you suffer from ingrown hairs then this is the one you want.

PS I have a little routine that works well with this shaver if you suffer from ingrown hairs.

1.Wash your face with warm water and soap first. Make sure you lather the soap well. After rinse face with warm water
2. Baking Soda (Bi-carbonate of soda) Is an excellent exfoliator. Put about 2 teaspoons in your palm followed add a few drops of warm water and mix till it is the consistency of toothpaste. Rub gently into wet face in circular motions for about 1 minute. It may sting a bit. Then rinse off with warm water. Next spray tea tree oil sanitizer on your shaver and shave.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Electric Shaver, 23 Oct 2009
Pete (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
I bought this shaver a few weeks ago and I am very happy. I have never used an electric shaver before but it only took a few days for my skin to get used to it. I have a very hard and fast growing beard so I was very afraid of getting a rash or ingrown hair, especially in the neck line, but I have absolutely none. It gives a better shave than my manual shavers did. I would recommend it to anyone. This is the same shaver as the Philips HS8460 just without the docking station. It is also better priced than the HS8420 so to me this model made perfect operational and financial sense. Go ahead and order it, you won't regret it!

4.0 out of 5 stars As close as a wet shave., 19 Aug 2010
R. Lewis (UK) - See all my reviews
After careful consideration i invested in this little beauty. I have used a combination of a remington foil electric shaver and a wet shave for a few years now. Recently my remington has been tearing lumps out of my face so I decided it was time for an upgrade and I was not disappointed.

Pros - smaller than what i expected, nivea system is really much more than a gimmick and reduces redness and adds lubricity, nivea balm smells gorgeous, travel lock feature is useful, comes with a neat little charging stand, it's also completely waterproof so I can use it in the shower, very close shave (as good as a wet shave).

Cons - charging stand is a little 'cheap', cost of continued purchase of nivea balm, travel case does not add protection and is more of a 'sleeve', trimmer isn't as good as my remington, needs stand to charge it.

Overall I am very pleased with my purchase and would recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Middle of Three Electric Shavers, 26 Jan 2010
Peter R (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

The Philips I would probably rate as my second favourite after the Remington.

Positives:

* The idea of putting the Nivea Coolskin with this is more than just a marketing gimmick. It definitely helps with the shave and prevents any itching or burning right from the very first shave.
* It had the closest shave of all three of shavers that I tried.
* It comes with a lovely, padded travel pouch. The Remington has a very basic pouch and the Braun didn't bother.
* It is quiet in it's operation while the Braun was loud and the Remington loudest still.
* It looks cool and has comfortable contours.
* It can be used in the shower, which helps speed up the process first thing in the morning. The Braun can also be used under the shower, while the Remington can't.
* In terms of re-charge time and value, I felt this was the best out of the 8420 and the 8460. I would suggest staying away from the 8460 because you really don't want a giant re-charging stand taking up even more space in your bathroom!

Negatives:

* ALthough it had the closest shave of the three, I found the rotary system difficult to judge how close to the sideburns and chin-beard I was getting. This meant, I had to follow-up afterwards with my regular shaving blade, which kind of defeated the object!
* The trimmer is noisy and completely useless and requires you to remove the rotary blades and replace with a trimmer, which points in the opposite direction. Awful trimmer. Really.
* The additional expense of the Nivea Coolskin. They aren't cheap and a 28ml bottle lasts for roughly 5 shaves (depending on how generous you are).
* It really struggled with my mustache - again due the rotary system, and the fact that I had a chin beard, it meant I was in danger of shaving my beard while I was trying to shave my mustache. SO I had to follow up my mustache with my usual Gillette razor as well.

So in the end, in spite of spending all that money I actually stopped using it and went back to my Sensor Exel.

If I need to have a shave in the morning before a business meeting then I now use the Remington. It is noisy but overall worked the best for me and has an excellent trimmer. You should be able to read my detailed review of the Remington on the product page. I gave the Braun away as it also struggled with my mustache and butchered my face when I pressed down to get a close shave.

I think this Philips though is the cheapest of the three. So if you are looking for good value, don't have any facial hair and have sensitive skin and like to shave in the shower then this is one for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, i really like it!, 27 Jan 2011
I like this shaver very much, also recomended and brought it for my friend. Today i discovered that refill can can be opened (with some force) and refilled manually with any emulsion :-)

Also better value than HS8460, refill/recharge station is too big and not necessary and price difference is big.

4.0 out of 5 stars Suits me, 10 Jan 2012
I bought this as the trimmer on my HS8440 (I think) got left in liquid for a long time, became rusty and unusable.
The cost of the replacement trimmer meant I decided to buy this.
Originally I bought the HS8420 but this did not have the trimmer so I returned it.

I like this style of shaver and really like the Nivea pump part of the shave.
Its a shame that Philips no longer make a shaver with the pump - I may be wrong here.

It gives me a good shave, the cream keeps my skin from drying out and my last one lasted from years before my stupidity ruined the trimmer.

I would have given this a 5 but for the following.
The case is soft and provides no protection for the shaver.
The cream is expensive - although I did get a voucher for some free cream.
Your shaved hairs either fall onto whatever surface you are shaving over or get stuck inside the shaver heads with the cream - clean it regularly

Good shaver

4.0 out of 5 stars `Philips ~Coolskin HS8440, 13 Aug 2011
Rev. Harri O. Jones (Wales) - See all my reviews
The shaver purchased is very good and effective. But I thought that two cans of Nivea for men would be sent free once I' had registered. I may have misunderstood. So far I have no complaints. I would have preferred a written guide book rather that the sheet of diagrams supplied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips coolskin HS8440 shaver, 21 Mar 2010
Brian T. Johnson (U.K.) - See all my reviews
The best electric shaver manufactured by Philips. I have used their many shavers over the years and this one gives the closed and coolest shaver I have ever experienced. The neck was always a problem to shave always seemed to have a soreness but the HS8440 solved the problem. I can now look forward to many years of comfortable shaving

4.0 out of 5 stars Husband seems very pleased!, 6 Jun 2013
I bought this as a gift for my husband. He was skeptical at first as he's quite picky about his gadgets, but after a couple of uses he's delighted. He says it's far less painful than a wet shave, but gets just as close. It's also easy to clean. The only downside is that he seems to have to use a lot of the gel, so the refills may end up making it more pricey than initially thought.