5.0 out of 5 stars Cool and smooth
I find that the new Philips shavers with their heads raised above the body all look a little bit alien, as if someone had been watching one of the Alien movies before designing them. The new Coolskin philips looks a bit like an alien too, but with its modern blue and white stripes it comes across as a bit more sporty.

Looks aside, the shaver is pretty...
Published on 17 Aug 2009 by Paul B

3.0 out of 5 stars Smooth Operator
First impressions of the Coolskin were not great to be honest, the shaver looking a bit small and fragile and quite plain compared to my old HQ7180. In use however, things picked up and the Coolskin lotion does make for an enjoyable and thorough shave though I found overuse could give me a rash. The floating heads are very flexible and move around the chin and neck...
Published on 19 Aug 2009 by tallpete33

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Shaver - Don't Miss Out!, 23 May 2011
Brian - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Philips Nivea For Men Coolskin HS8420 Rechargeable Shaver With Battery Indicator (Personal Care)
This is a really great shaver - I didn't get mine from Amazon, but I just wanted to tell you what a great shaver it is - definately the best shaver I've ever bought. Philips is a bit hit and miss with shavers , but this has to be one of their best efforts. You don't have to keep buying the Nivea conditioner , it's too expensive - I just put ordinary shaving gel on my face , wet the heads, and it works like a dream - just keep rinsing them now and then - it even cuts well with just water , when you've temporarily run out of gel. It gives a brilliant , close shave , and you just rinse it clean at the end , and shake it dry. You can get loads of shaves out of a single charge - sometimes you think the battery's forgotting to run flat. I could go on and on about this shaver , but just buy it , and see for yourself - Amazon have got it for a good price here - less than I paid for mine - Philips have excelled themslves with this model.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 19 Nov 2009
J. Kelly - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wasn't too sure about this razor at first. The rotary blade system struck me as gimmicky, and I thought the moisturiser would be cheap and unpleasant. I was wrong on both counts.

The razor itself is fantastic. Good battery life, and it's waterproof so you can wash it under the tap without doing the DC-shimmy. The rotary blades give a really close shave, too, much better than a standard foil.

The big revelation for me was the moisturiser though. You can use the razor without this, of course, and you'll have an excellent experience if you do. Adding the moisturiser, though, makes for a much smoother shave. It really does help prevent any irritation or redness, and leaves the skin feeling nice and soft. It's good with sensitive skin, too. The only downside, of course, is having to buy refills. They're not too pricey, though, and last quite a while, so this isn't as costly as you might first think.

All in all, this is a great razor, and I wish I'd discovered it sooner.

2.0 out of 5 stars An OK shave, but overall just not good enough, 10 Aug 2009
CJ (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have always been a fan of Philips shavers, but over the last year or so I've been using a Braun foil shaver, which I have found to be a little closer on the general shave, even if it isn't so good at reaching tricky areas such as the neck and jawline.

This latest Philips has three rotary-bladed rings which pivot around nicely, so they cover most areas of your face and neck really well. The Nivea shaving lotion means that your skin is somewhat protected whilst shaving (I have found that my skin still gets slightly irritated but generally it's very comfortable) and as it's waterproof, the shaver can be used in the shower (although I haven't tried it).

The three heads move around your face very well and I have found the shaving performance to be good, although I would struggle to say it is vastly superior to a similar spec foil shaver as difficult areas still require multiple passes to get the skin smooth. Overall I can't fault the HS8420 as it gives a good enough shave and the Nivea lotion system works a treat.

However.

The overall package is sorely lacking. The shaver itself feels a little lightweight and cheap. It's charger stand is almost verging on being a little too small and feels a bit flimsy. In contrast, Braun's chargers not only charge up your shaver but clean it at the same time. With this Philips, it's a much more fiddly (not to mention time consuming) run under the tap and scrub the shaver heads with the brush affair.

The included Nivea lotion bottle is pretty small so a new supply would be needed sooner rather than later. Considering the cost of the shaver, there is no included travel case, which I think is a major oversight. And worst of all, there is no trimmer either built-in to the shaver or included as an accessory to be clipped on (as has been the case with previous Philips shavers I have owned). Other shavers at this price point manage a trimmer, why can't this?

These negatives undo all the good work of the shaver itself as they don't make the whole a good value package. The HS8420 is a decent enough shaver, but there are better deals elsewhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad for An Electric Shave, 29 July 2009
S. Porter (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First thing to warn you about is the near impenetrable packaging - prepare to test your brute strength and make scarey use of industrial blades to get through the the plastic prison it comes in. The shaver itself is rather light and comfortable to hold when dry, however it becomes rather slippery when wet. The shaver looks quite cheap and plasticky, but I'm putting the finish down to waterproofing as you can use it in the shower or bath which is a convenient feature.

Charging is quick, and loading the reservoir with the shaving conditioner is simple and mess-free. The conditioner feels good on the skin although I'm not personally enamoured of the odour, but that's easily dealt with. Despite the use of the conditioner, I did also find my skin dried out and I had to use more moisturiser then usual to keep my skin soft and cool after a few days (it's possible I'm just not using enough conditioner when I'm shaving, but its an effect that might be worth considering if you are particularly sensitive to razor burn.)

The rotary heads are a good size and offer good coverage of the face and neck. Whilst the blades are effective when dealing with finer hair, if you have thick or heavy growth, you may find the finish rather disappointing and may even find the blades pluck rather than cut hairs, particularly where hair grows in whorls. Also disappointing is the lack of a precision trimmer for shaping sideburns, or other areas of facial hair so a wet razor will likely still be useful in your grooming kit.

Other than that, this shaver is good as far as such devices go, but I still prefer the precision and closeness of a wet razor shave.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, good value shaver - and at last no skin irritation!, 1 Mar 2010
GOOD POINTS:

This is a cool and pleasant shaver to use and best of all it GENUINELY DOES STOP SKIN IRRITATION! (None of the redness and discomfort around the throat that I experienced with a dry Philishave.)

It gives a good, close shave.

The spring loaded three head system works well and follows the contours of the face.

It's quiet in use.

Rinsing it out under the tap is much easier and nicer than brushing out dry shavings.

It was good value.

BAD POINTS:

None of any consequence. The charging stand would benefit from a wider base; it's rather easily knocked over. Also I would have preferred written istructions to the "Noddy style" pictures (which are not that clear in places). But these are small niggles which don't detract from a super product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Gamble paid off!, 14 July 2011
This was bought for a man who hates shaving as he has a very course beard, with hairs that grow in bizarre patterns and sensitive skin!! I was worried that the product was gimmicky but the reviews seemed really good so it became a birthday pressie!
He loves it and each time he uses it his technique improves and the shave gets better and better - no more random patches of stubble or raw skin on the neck, and a clean, smooth, soft kissable face for far longer than expected. Better than a wet shave as there's no blood! And it gives as good a result and lasts as long.
He says it's quick, quiet and very easy to manoeuvre due to the slim head design and light weight. Head just washes clean under hot tap, and you can use as much or as little of the conditioner as you want. Even with soap sensitive skin the conditioner itself seems to be great. It takes 4 hours to fully charge but should last 2 weeks so don't need to take stand away with you- however it is small enough not to be a real problem, the shaver carry case is neoprene very tech and the shaver looks very space age! Great product, really pleased.
Philips Nivea For Men Coolskin HS8440 Rechargeable Shaver With Precision Sideburns Trimmer

3.0 out of 5 stars OK But beware, 16 April 2011
Earlier shavers had a problem with the on/off switch becoming faulty and making the shaver cut out frequently. Current one has a problem with the support rings that hold up the shaving heads to hold them close to the skin. Be careful when cleaning for if you knock one of these metal rings it comes off leaving the head with no "spring" to hold it close to the face. Happened with 2 of these shavers that I purchased - not buying a third!

5.0 out of 5 stars PhilipING good, 31 Jan 2011
Not used a electric razor since i was in my teens 45 years ago,but i will not be going back to the razor blades again.the Philips shaver with Nivea cream leaves my face feeling like a teenager again.Regards greg

4.0 out of 5 stars best electric shaver yet, 3 Oct 2010
I have owned electric shavers of various types and makes over the years and have never been impressed...until I shaved off my 40year old moustache. Well my usual wet shave was ripping my "untouched" skin to bits, I have to shave twice a day. I heard about these shavers with the moisturiser so I thought I would give it a try. I was impressed from the outset. Of course I have to shave twice a day still, but the shaver does a very good job. I cant say its as clean as a wet shave but it is very good and I dont have the nicks and soreness. Plus of course you can shave anywhere anytime.Philips Nivea HS8020 Rechargeable Shaving System

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 1 April 2010
Bjsmith (Taunton, Somerset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Consider buying loads of razor blades for one year then the shaving foam and then this shaver does make a lot of sense. The price is okay for the technology,the rotary blades last for about two years which is quite good. Overall a very good product.

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›