5.0 out of 5 stars avp pc dvd
good game,good atmosphere in the game,running this on e8400 core 2 duo and hd 5770 with settings maxed,very pleased with it.
Published 15 months ago by sean

3.0 out of 5 stars Very limited environment and still feels console like
Many of these console ports as they seem to be, are just poor compared to pc specific game.

Published on 3 Mar 2010 by Andrew Powell

3.0 out of 5 stars Very limited environment and still feels console like, 3 Mar 2010
Andrew Powell "AP" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aliens Vs Predator (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)

This game is no different, It may be an 18 but the console type prompts to click and things like the predator jumping just feel very limited, because it is!!!. You have to stand in just the right place to make a super jump. it would have been much better if you would just anywhere, if you didn't make it, well that's life.

- It does feel very limited and confined in what a character can do.

- Graphics are nothing special.

- Heavily scripted, some stages involve a constant spawning of aliens until you get out or complete and objective. I for one hate spawning.

On the plus side the Marine's motion sensor is great and does add to the atmosphere. Aliens jump all over the wall and like to hang from ceilings.

3.0 out of 5 stars Huuuge disappointment, 10 Mar 2010
This review is from: Aliens Vs Predator (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Let me start by saying that I've been waiting for this game for a long, long time.

I got the game of Amazon right when it came out. Installation went without a problem - and that is about the only truly positive feeling about the game.
When I run it for the first time the sound was broken. Only some sounds would play ie gunshots but there was no music or dialogue. Bad start. Quick trip onto the web and I found out I'm not alone here - game cannot properely deal with sound on PC and needs certain speaker and sound quality set in Windows or it won't work properely so I had to switch off my Dolby Digital (which works in every single other game including Diablo 2).

Okay, sound sorted, let's play. First impression here - console port. A bit wooden control over the character and limiter interaction but otherwise ok. Graphics not up to current standard in my opinion and maps a bit smallish.
I played a while and unfortunatelly I didn't get any of the original AvP feel. When playing a marine aliens seem armoured (you can expend half a clip from Pulse Rifle hitting one without killing it) - that's not how it was in the game or the movie. Also, you can get into melee with a few xenomorphs and survive - you can even survive facehugger attack... I mean, seriously, would bashing an alien with a rifle help you reckon?

There's no feeling of danger lurking in every corner, no feeling of fear when you see aliens going at you knowing that you have to kill'em before they get to you... no you just let them in and besh'em with the rifle. There's no feeling of immersion in the universe or the story.

Checkpoint system seems a bit broken as well. I'm not a fan of checkpoints and prefer to do my own saves but if you put a checkpoint system into the game it would be nice if it worked. On a few occasions I'd go through a few point where is says checkpoint, then die and find out that I'm at the beginning of the level.

All in all, if you're a fan of AvP 1 & 2 think twice before buying this, maybe try a demo first. Now that I bought it I know I'd be better of playing one of the previous games again rather than this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly atmospheric but fundamentally flawed, 1 Mar 2010
J. Morris "Josh" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Aliens Vs Predator (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Firstly, I would like to say that I am a big fan of the 'AvP' series and eagerly awaited the release of this instalment. The game is divided into three, playing as the Alien, Marine and of course, Predator.
Rebellion, the team responsible for the last PC outing, have done a fantastic job of staying canon; with the sounds, locales and weapons all intact and recognisable. This instalment does not disappoint, it is one of the most atmospheric games I have ever played, topping some of the greats (Dead Space, Bioshock etc), there is nothing quite like the heightened fear you feel listening to the blinking sounds of a damaged light fixture and the shadows it casts as something moves in the gloom. I could sing the praises of the atmosphere and level design and graphic capability (if a little resource-hungry) all day, however I would like to alert people to the potential things that will make you dislike this game and hopefully save you some cash!
The Predator is extremely well animated, the 'Focus Jump' mechanic makes moving around the level very easy and after a little while you can become extremely proficient at getting into prime spots undetected, the weapons are good, however some of the favourites from the last game are missing, most noticeably the spear gun. The disc, whilst present in a form, is a mere shadow of it's former self. The auto-return feature is a bit ridiculous as previously you had to expend power to magnetically recall it and this made the user think about the end placement a little more, rather than throwing it regardless like a game of Frisbee. The Combi-Stick however is a welcome addition, which is extremely effective, again, the auto-return is ridiculously quick but the net result is that it replaces the need for the spear-gun.
The Alien is very much unchanged - Run up walls, over the ceiling, drop down, bite peoples head's off, repeating as necessary. The claws and the tail make up the light and heavy attacks respectively. It's main strength is speed and stealth making it an interesting character to play, however it gets very tedious as there is only so many objectives you can be given and lot of them are just repeated ad infinitum.
Finally, the Marine is....just awful. I want to enjoy the marine as it is the closest thing to making this a legitamate FPS, however there are some fundamentally flawed mechanics. Primarily the thing that infuriates me the most is the run function. I figured a colonial marine would be quite fit, however the protagonist in this case runs about as far as an asthmatic, chain-smoking desk-worker with a club foot before stopping dead, gasping for breath. In an environment where your primary enemy is a very fast running creature this is just insanity, as a result the Marine 'feels' very heavy. The weapons are no saving grace, the ammo is far too sporadic meaning panic induced spraying is out the window (bearing in mind you can't run either!) and anything with a bit of power to it either spews ammo at an unfeasible rate (we're looking at you flamethrower) or means that you will be showered in molecular acid and die instantly if you land a hit(shotgun).
All in all, this is an excellent game, but it's not the saviour of the oft-sneered at AvP universe. The game will often take your breath away in awe as the hairs stand up on your neck but many-a-time you will be left very very frustrated that you have been killed and have to do it all again from the checkpoint (Oh yes, it's a checkpoint based save system)

2.0 out of 5 stars Game suffering from console downfalls, 23 Feb 2010
Edward T. Sullivan (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aliens Vs Predator (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
The atmosphere this game can potentially create is great. The graphics are very pretty, the sound is superb.

The gameplay, can be really good, with aliens jumping up and down walls, the atmosphere of the flares is great. The guns sound and feel like decent weapons.

All of the above would make it seem like this is an enjoyable first person shooter.

However it falls flat on its face due to being a console port.

The game relies on immersion and atmosphere but I totally lost those due to the frustration and annoyance with the engine interaction. E.g. unavoidable long 'in-game-cut-scenes' that you cant avoid or control in. I was getting so frustrated at one just now it made me turn off and write this review. If I see an alien spawning, I dont sit there and wait 4 seconds doing nothing but watching it in middle of crosshairs for it to get out of its egg only to let the thing run off and hide to get a sneak attack. Utterly annoying.
Another console port feature that is really frustrating and annoying, check points with no option to save except saving at checkpoints. ugh! This is a PC game, we've had harddisks and ability to save at random points since forever, the checkpoints are a totally lame attempt to make out there is more to this bare-bones content game than there is.

This game is short as anything very short, but its turning out 'long' as a frustrating side effect of the checkpoints needing to redo large quanties of content over and over if you die near the end of a check point. ugh. Check points are awful and no one wants them, least of all a pc shooter.

IF this game didnt have checkpoints, it didnt have the "static unable to do anything while a mini-ingame cut scene plays" moments id give to 3-4 stars instead. I wish this game had proper 3d interaction as most made for pc games have. Such as crysis, stalker, battlefieldseries, valves games. I would of given 5* to such a game and praised it to high heaven. Instead we have what feels like a very static consoled game, very linear, an uber marine can not hop over a low barrier fence, pfft. I am glad I only played 17 for this cheap on amazon else id be far more annoyed and give this a rage-1* review instead.

Unlike some other reviews, I had no problems running this game. I have an i7, 6gb ram, ati 4850 graphics card, it all ran fine and smooth as a babies arse. I cant falter what is under the hood, only the consoleitis interface/interaction problems that are a result of the port.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 30 Aug 2013
zoo keeper "menagerie" (Romsey) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Aliens Vs Predator (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
This game looks pretty good. The graphics are superb when turned up to max. However, I have had to lower the resolution on my mid range PC.

It's not a bad game. Playing as a marine is OK, except you get mobbed by aliens at times and it's a matter of luck if you survive while frantically trying to spot them. It's more fun as a predator, going invisible. Probably the best fun is as an Alien, crawling along the walls and ceiling.

Somehow, it didn't grab me. I haven't finished it but may go back to it again. However, I'm not complaining. It was great value at purchase price of 1p!

3.0 out of 5 stars Massive let down, 20 Feb 2010
Andrew "impulsive gadget buyer" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Aliens Vs Predator (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I am a massive Aliens and Predator fan. Let me get that out straight away. I was looking forward to this for soo long I had it on pre-order since Rebellion even thought about it. Sadly the game, although massively fun for a couple of hours quickly lost its appeal and replayability and since the first week of release I have not touched it.

Aliens vs. Predator could have been a truly great game. It's there, you can almost feel it, but it's constantly torn away from you because of some poor design decisions and a general lack of quality that keeps the game from having that triple-A feeling. It's by no means a bad game and will almost certainly provide a few hours of gameply, but when compared to other first-person shooter titles on the market, the difference is clear.

There is no claustrophobic sense of panic when playing the game. No concern or to be honest limited atmosphere. For me once I had played through the single player it occurred to me just how repetitive it was. The novelty of being able to be the predator quickly wore off as well after using the shoulder cannon and triangular gun sight a couple of times.

Now on to multiplayer. I still play Halo 3 multiplayer which is years old and I hold that as a shining example of how it can endure. This held me for two weeks. The controls are lcunky and the learning curve on some races too high I felt. however once mastered the imbalances were striking. Not to mention it launched with dedicated servers however this has in part been addressed. I found maps to get stale quite quickly however there is a good variety in game play types and I particularly enjoyed the last man standing and predator hunt modes!

Good for a once through and a quick blast on multiplayer but has no enduring qualities. But at the current price of 13.99 it may be worth a once through!

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been MUCH better, 26 May 2010
D L. WHITE (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aliens Vs Predator (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I have been waiting for another Aliens vs Predator game for almost 10 years and I gotta say AvP 2010 was a huge disappointment for me. For a start the single player story had copied some elements from the dreadful AvP films, instead of carrying on from the previous AvP game.

The Alien campaign was extremely short for my liking, the mechanics used for the Alien however were pretty good. I liked how the Alien could move about, and use focus attacks. But they also removed some elements such as the Aliens lifecycle from AvP2, and the ability to head bite victims whilst standing.

The Marine campaign was ok and probably the longer of all three. But there are alot of weapons missing from the previous games, you only get a Pistol, Smartgun, Flamethrower, Shotgun and Pulse Rifle. There is no Rocket Launchers, Grenade Launchers or Minigun. Even though I wasn't really concerned about that, but the scare aspect of playing as the Marine didn't exist for me.

Playing the previous two AvPs, the Marine levels filled you with tension and fear. Also I thought that it was too easy even on the Harder difficulties. Showing the player where to go in my opinion makes the game pointless to play. I like to find my way around levels instead of been shown where to go. Also there were many weapons missing from the Predators arsenal such as the EMP Pistol, Net gun and the Speargun.

Predator had some decent mechanics such as the focus jump system which I did find quite pleasurable. Stalking prey from tree tops and waiting for the right moment to strike. However again the campaign was too short, and the levels were all the same. Each character would play the same levels but at different perspectives which I found EXTREMELY repetitive. The Trophy kills for the Predator were quite impressive and is enjoyable finishing your victims off.

All in all though it is an AvP game to an extent and can be fun to play, however due to the fact that most AvP fans were waiting almost 10 years for this game, it is suffice to say that this game doesn't exceed its predecessors expectations and as a result is a sad disappointment.

6/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic game I just wanted to have, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Aliens Vs Predator (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Always liked that alien mode of walking around everywhere ending up killing from above or liked being scared to death when playing marines...

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I hoped, 7 Sep 2013
Traffic (U.K.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Aliens Vs Predator (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I am a big fan of the AVP franchise but this one's a bit of a let down.
Graphics are much better then any previous games in the AVP series but thats about it.
Gameplay and story both fall short for me. It just kind of feels like they rushed it to make a few quid out of the name.
No real intensity just lot's of boring alien sequences to provide you with canon fodder.

This ones going in the bin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 15 July 2013
This review is from: Aliens Vs Predator (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Good game this and if you have a newer pc is runs like a dream. Scary build up and atmosphere and it will make you jumpo about a hundred times! If your a fan of the license you must buy it.

Aliens Vs Predator (PC DVD)
Aliens Vs Predator (PC DVD) by Sega (Windows XP)
3.30