on 1 March 2012
Hummed and arghed a long time whether or not to buy this. Having spent a small fortune on Canon's 550d plus three lenses, I did not want to "spoil the ship for an halfpence of tar"
Early days yet as I've only had it a couple of days, but on first examination it appears to be solidly well built and a good fit. No vignetting even at 10mm on my EF-S 10-22 lens and fitted with a UV filter. Seems, at the moment, to be just as good as Canon's own at a third of the price.
on 12 January 2013
Lens hoods are injection molded and use a relatively small amount of material/plastic, as such they probably come in at around a £1' ish including labour costs(plastic injection molding machines can bang these out at a rate of knots).
How Canon charge £30 beggars belief, & I've seen the rrp as high as £40 (I know they'll only sell a relatively low volume of these, but come on Canon don't take advantage of your loyal followers). I'll leave you to work out the profit margins etc.

Anyway if you are fitting this copy then watch out for the 2 small locking pips/lugs. One of them popped out when I was fitting it & they also stick out a bit too far, in fact if you have a filter fitted they can grip/catch it and overtighten the filter simultaneously as your fitting the hood. I had to wrap a leather belt around the filter to undo it (didn't have a filter wrench), took me a while to realise that the lens hood had caught the filter and overtightened it etc (serious panic!!!).

Anyway what I would say is the tweaks I had to do took 5 mins, if the small locking pips/lugs pop out then put a small dot of super glue on each end of them to hold them in place (don't smother them with glue as the locking pip needs to flex a bit). And also get a sharp knife & shave a bit off each one until it seats properly on your lens when you fit the hood otherwise you may get the filter tightening probs I had.

I know one guy had a nightmare with this hood & I can understand the resevations with buying a cheapo copy like this, but after forking out £500 on the lens & Hoya pro filters at £50 a pop then this seemed like a good way of saving hard earned cash. The quality of the injection molding was actually spot on, it was only the little locking pips that were a bit iffy, but a quick tweak and it was sorted.
If your a brand name monkey then go for the big C but i'd personally rather use the cash saved for filters etc.
on 22 July 2013
Being thoroughly disappointed that the 10-22mm lens doesnt come with a lens hood, I bought this off Amazon. It does the job, fits the 10-22 lens well and material is decent. For the price, it does what you would expect.
on 17 April 2013
This fits the canon 10-22 lens well. It is considerably cheaper than the canon version. So far no problems with it affecting picture/vignetting but still early days.
on 30 January 2013
This does exactly what canon's own model does - at a third of the price. Can't think of any reason not to buy it.
on 27 August 2014
There are so many cheap alternatives out there but after reading other reviews I opted for this one.

I'm glad I did as it is perfect for my 77mm diameter canon lens. It fits perfectly, is easy to screw on & it clicks securely into place. To remove just hold the lens barrel & twist the hood off, it can also be reversed for putting in a bag.

Great!
on 4 July 2014
I am very happy with this lens hood, and would recommend to a friend. Arrived on time, seems very good quality, and very well priced.and fits well.
on 28 February 2015
too brittle pieces, started to break off after a couple of weeks - not hard wearing enough. lost it after 3 weeks when it come off one evening. :(
on 24 April 2014
Good value, no complaints and a great price. Good fit, would recommend - unless you are keen on the branded items but this is real value.
on 20 September 2013
Fits well on my Canon 10-22mm EFS, with no gaps or rattles. Seems solidly built too. About a fifth the price of the proper Canon one too.