Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.39

on 8 June 2009
Buying this album on the strength of the single "Candy" alone I wasn't sure what to expect. I was familiar with and liked Paolo's previous singles but was worried "Candy" would be the only standout song. What greeted my ears when I pressed play was glorious. The first tracks instantly reminded me of 60's motown songs like "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" in terms of the songwriting, instrumentation and quality of the recording. It didn't stop there and the album continued to delight with songs like "Pencil Full of Lead" and "High Hopes". I read one of the one star reviews which criticised "Pencil Full of Lead" for sounding like something from the Jungle Book. I completely agree, but that's exactly the reason why I love the song, and for the record I think the Bear Necessities is a great song, Phil Harris (voice of baloo) = Legend. If the world was a happier place this would be classic album, but since most people seem to only rate music which is bleak and full of woes about the world I fear this won't get the recognition it deserves. If this album doesn't put a smile on your face then you are not human and I urge you to get off of our planet.
77 comments| 195 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 June 2009
Firstly, I don't have Paolo's first album and bought this based on the interesting crits in the press, Ethan John's involvement and instantly liking Candy when I heard it on the radio.
It's the best album I've bought this year by a country mile. Lyrically and musically it is at worst interesting but at best mesmerising. His vocals range from almost unintelligable to falsetto but what a voice!! I find it difficult to comprehend that he is only in his early 20's and the purveyor of previously safe/inoffensive songs such as Jenny Don't Be Hasty. This album swaggers, lilts, flirts and beguiles. On many songs he gambles on the arrangements. You'll laugh at the audacity of it but he succeeds in every instance. Most of all though the album exudes supreme confidence in his ability and this is in no way misplaced. Buy it.
33 comments| 146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Great summer album that you can almost imagine being fully recorded under a mango tree on a tropical island. So very chilled out and different to any other album out there at the moment with such a fusion of styles (Reggae, Folk, Jazz...), and a real contrast to These Streets (which I also loved)
on 8 June 2009
This album has not been as broadly well-received as 'These Streets' was, but that is its triumph. Whilst 'These Streets' was a great album it was also a safe one (perhaps due to the influence of the record label more than Paolo himself), but this is certainly not the case on 'Sunny Side Up'. This time around, he has moved away from the security of a relatively mainstream, poppy sound and brings us an eclectic range of sounds and influences, and it works to his credit. While the old soul sound is still there in tracks like 'Candy' and 'Tricks of the Trade', we are treated too to snatches of reggae, country and jazz. 'Simple Things' immediately feels familiar and uplifting and 'Pencil Full of Lead', which many seem to dislike, is pacey, defiantly upbeat and one of my favourite tracks. He has certainly taken some risks here and inevitably will have alienated some of his more narrow fanbase with this album, but it is a testament to his growth and development as an artist that he has done so and resisted the temptation to stay in the position that gave him so much success last time around. Moreover, his voice is fantastic as always, with a soul that sounds beyond his years, but it is even more so now that it lacks the fine-tuned polish it was given on 'These Streets'. Definitely recommended, I've hardly taken it off repeat since I bought it a few days ago!
on 2 September 2009
Having previously bought 'These Streets' and fallen 'in love' with Paolo's voice and music, I was expecting something similar from 'Sunny Side Up'. Although some of the tracks are what I'd expect from Paolo, others had either a more country music, or gospel feel to them - not my favourite type of music. But don't let this deter you from listening to this CD. The majority of tracks are brilliant.
on 19 June 2009
This is a great album. It gets negative reviews because people are expecting These Streets part 2 and it's not, and I admire Paolo for trying something new and not playing it safe. Don't get me wrong, These Streets was an amazing album which I loved, full of beautiful songs.
This album however is a bit querky, with tracks ranging from jazz to folk. But there are still some of his trademark ballads. When listening to this album, listen with an open mind and rate it as an album in its own right and dont make the mistake of comparing it to the last. An artist shouldn't be criticised for trying something new, especially when they pull it off!
on 7 June 2009
I remember Paolo Nutini's first CD coming out about the same time as James Morrison's and both being given the blue eyed soul boy tag. I always thought that it was a bit unfair on Paolo.
With this second album that tag has been blown out of the water. From the ska of opening track '10/10' to the Spiritual 'Keep rolling' he has produced a mature album that takes you in many directions lyrically and musically across many types of music.
'Coming up easy' 'High hopes' ' No other way' and 'Growing up beside you" show how his voice has matured into a voice with real soul. 'Candy' is a lovely lilting summery song. 'Tricks of the trade' and 'Chamber music' are almost Dylanesque, 'Pencil full of lead' is fun and rockabilly like. 'Simple things' is countrified and 'Worried man' is a song lyrically way beyond his years.
This CD will alienate some fans of his debut CD but will bring new fans who are looking for more than just blue eyed soul.
on 8 June 2009
Wow! this is an achievemnet for any artist let alone a 23 yr old! A real eclectic mix which literally takes you on a journey of emotions.Starting with the dancehall ska sounding '10/10.. an up beat catchy melody that give you an instant high... on to tracks such as the otis redding/sam cooke sounding 'coming up easy' which resonates with anyone whos experienced the warmth of young love. Moving onto the outstanding and haunting 'candy' on first hearing it could be mistaken for an old country song from the likes of willie Nelson.. its hard to believe a young man can sing with such depth and soul.. it generates such pathos in you and reveals the loneliness we all feel at times.. 'trick of the trade' and 'chamber of music' are without a doubt a tribute to dylan' and others on the album are a fabulous concoction of 1930s deep south style. An extremely ambitious 2nd album but one that's paid dividends.. Best album this year.
on 19 May 2009
I have just seen Mr Nutini live in concert so I have heard the majority of songs from this album and I have to say they were brilliant! I believe the lyrics in this album are alot more interesting and the music itself is just great and very swing style. Usually the second album for an artist isn't great, however this one is an awesome achievement. If you liked the first album then you will like this one.
55 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 10 August 2009
I loved Paolo Nutini's last album so was looking forward to this although I suppose a bit worried as some artists just do more of the same and it gets boring. Not this! It is the most diverse and unusual mix of music I've heard from one S/SW. Every song makes me smile and the instant I put it on, my mood lifts. It is my favourite album ever. What a talent! And just 22 years of age!