5.0 out of 5 stars Completely addictive
Published on 20 July 2009 by princess jem

2.0 out of 5 stars Great product - sent me the wrong discs!
I am really annoyed with this. I love the DVDs and got them as a treat to watch when I had some free time. I ordered them over 30 days ago and only realised today that the discs are incorrect! I have disc 1, two copies of disc 2 and disc 3!! Very annoyed about this and I cannot find a way to contact the seller/amazon at all about just replacing a disc. This is very...
Published on 12 Oct 2010 by Charlotte

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely addictive, 20 July 2009
This review is from: Casualty 1900s [DVD] (DVD)
Casualty 1900s is a brilliant series that takes place in the London hospital in the early 20th century, when medical science was still developing. The storylines are based on real events recorded in diaries, notebooks and police reports. This is a period drama with a difference, as it focuses on the lives of the poor, immigrants, doctors, nurses and police. There is plenty of action, drama, suspense, humour and brilliant acting that make it addictive viewing. You can't help but care about the characters involved, the nurses and doctors who literally dedicate their lives to helping others. Although I love programmes like Cranford and Lark Rise, Casualty 1900s is unique because it focuses on city life, and is an original drama, and you learn a lot about this fascinating time in history just by watching each episode. This DVD is brilliant because it combines the latest series, Casualty 1909 with the earlier series, Casualty 1907 and the one-off special Casualty 1906. Definately recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Formidable !, 2 Jan 2010
This review is from: Casualty 1900s [DVD] (DVD)
If, like me, you missed out on some of these fantastic authentic historical-educational-medical-romantic romps but really enjoyed the odd episode you tuned into, then this dvd is a real must! Be reasurred, ALL 10 episodes have the same quality of production standards as that little gem of an epiosde you caught on the hop. What's really nice is having a complete series in a shelf-freindly pack. It's the bbc showing off it's greatest asset - historical costume drama second to none. Nice to have some authentic historical interest running through the series. TV should have been the greatest educational tool ever - this series sits on the shelf with pride and is perfect for those stay-in evenings! There are no extras, which might disappoint some fans of certain actors, but there are subtitles and the picture quality of this box set is very high grade. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good Victorian era drama keeps you coming back for more, 21 Mar 2010
This review is from: Casualty 1900s [DVD] (DVD)
I am a fan of most good Victorian era dramas set in England and this one doesn't disappoint. The casting, writing, and acting are all very good, but of course the BBC does historical drama like no one else. There is no attempt to gloss over the grittiness and difficulty of life during this period in the East End of London and it is rather educational without the educational feel. There is just something about the fact that it is based on actual events that makes it especially intriguing. I only wish there were twice as many episodes, but it is a good value as is and one I will watch repeatedly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Deserves wider appreciation, 27 Dec 2010
prfb (Elkins, WV USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casualty 1900s [DVD] (DVD)
Never heard of this one in the USA: found it by accident on Amazon.uk.

It is fascinating! Extremely well done; very high production values; good acting and intelligently written scripts tell interesting stories and provide food for thought. (As you may have heard, American health care is still basically trapped where this series plays out: if you can't pay up, you can only throw yourself on "charity.")

My whole family watched these episodes with rapt attention and wondered if any more might be forthcoming. What a pity we have to have a special DVD player to see it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Action and Accuracy - a must see!, 30 Aug 2009
MedPed (Göteborg, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casualty 1900s [DVD] (DVD)
"ER" or "Casulaty" in a historical setting, where the stories are based on hospital records; personal memoirs or newspaper clippings. You follow the staff at the the Royal London Hospital around the clock and during various events. The nurses are supposed to live like nuns - remain unmarried; live within the hospital walls and be on constant call. They have to dress in corsets; large aprons; starched collars and caps. The doctors at the London are men only, although women doctors were allowed at the time, but not at the London. No romancing between nurses and doctors is allowed. If an attraction should occur, the nurse has to leave the hospital. The population is from London's East End; the poorest of the poor; many immigrants from all parts of the world. The main problem is not disease itself, but poverty and lack of knowledge - very much a similar situation to a developing country of today, but this is London only 100 years ago. There are no antibiotics; x-rays are just started to be used as a diagnostic tool. The different stories are brought to life by excellent actors portraying, not only the personal aspects of life, but also professional dilemmas, which someone working in a hospital setting today can easily relate to. As always with BBC the set production is fantastic! I couldn't stop - I just watched all the episodes in one go and recommend everybody else to do the same!

5.0 out of 5 stars Casualty 1900's, 9 Sep 2012
This review is from: Casualty 1900s [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great work, well written, well acted and hopefully authentic as it claims. I began watching it through Amazon videos and was so taken emotionally and every other way over the stories and medicine generally at that time and in that particular hospital/district-I purchased the DVDs-- so I could also access subtitles which invariably fill in the gaps for me with any film. I was stunned by the desire to HELP the poor. One line in the film I always think about "I have so much and they are denied everything"..I am an American, which doesn't mean too much -- but in my entire life, I have seen very little poverty,hunger and total desperation up close. The Saul Landau character just tripped me out, kudos to Adrian McCardle [I think that is his name] "You have to open your eyes to open your mind"..Believe it or not, I had to find out if that character was real or not -- I found OUR own Saul Landau as a result, a very leftist zealot, writer of lots of books of which I now own five (5) because of this movie. I am so glad I can purchase British films via Amazon UK, Early on I purchased a multi regional DVD player so I would be able to watch British and ? films - so many aren't set up for USA 'whatever' here. God Bless the Internet!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 7 Dec 2010
Eddie Nguyen (Toronto Canada) - See all my reviews
Casualty 1900s [DVD]
My, I didn't want this series to end. It was rather like dropping down into history & viewing a particular time then flying away again. There was no beginning nor any ending. The fact that all of these incidents are true makes seeing this series even better. Comparing medicine then to today is fascinating. So very well done with a stellar cast to boot makes this series a must have for anyone interested in medicine of any sort.

5.0 out of 5 stars So so good...you can't afford to miss this, 14 Aug 2009
This review is from: Casualty 1900s [DVD] (DVD)
Casualty 1900,s is the most fantastic series. Thought provoking, amazing, heart wrenching and I could watch it over and over(and I do!!!) I am a nurse myself and can not believe the conditions that these women had to endure and work in. We may moan about the NHS but how lucky we are compared to then.
The best drama ever devised.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent series, 23 Nov 2009
This review is from: Casualty 1900s [DVD] (DVD)
The Casualty 1900s series is excellent and particularly accurate historically. The only thing missing for me would be DVD extras describing the archival research undertaken and the process involved in creating the settings, both in terms of costume, props, and scenery. It is wonderful to have such programs that bring the history of medicine alive.

5.0 out of 5 stars casualty 1900s, 4 Oct 2009
Ms. E. Marsden (Rugby) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casualty 1900s [DVD] (DVD)
This series is Brilliant. Having stumbled across it by accident one Sunday night after top gear I was totally hooked. If, like me, you started watching the 1909 series half way through or from the beginning, this is a great dvd to get because you can watch the development of the characters throughout their lives at the London. The 1906 Pilot I found quite funny because they were fairly liberal with the fake blood, so poor Sarah Smart spends half of the episode up to her elbows in blood. She really made this series for me as she is a brilliant actor and is a central part to the plot. There are also excellent performnces from Charity Wakefield and Lydia Leonard, who make their way up the ranks throughout the series. If you watch carefully, you will notice that the three main nurses, even on their first day at the hospital, seem to be very capable and are entrusted with much more important things than any of the other nurses, or that's what I thought anyway! This series is also helpful for me as I am doing a GCSE in medical history and I found that watching this gave me loads of helpful background knowledge and I was able to sound like I actually knew something!! This is so much better than the real casualty, but it is VERY gory and involves a few amputations and at least one big, bloody operation every episode. This is a fantastic series and one that I can watch over and over again. Written by Gusta- E.Marsden's Daughter!!

Casualty 1900s [DVD]
Casualty 1900s [DVD] by Mark Brozel (DVD - 2009)