1,506 of 1,536 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars A triumph...
From the moment you remove the cap you realise you're in for a treat. Fresh, bright, smoky, with a mineral edge and rounded, fruity nose. Midweight and bold, possessing some edge and no little bite, yet remaining smooth, balanced and satisfying. This is a drink to enjoy with friends in a park. Highly recommended.
Published on 1 April 2011 by barkas

2.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended.
Published 11 months ago by Dickie

1,506 of 1,536 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars A triumph..., 1 April 2011

1,501 of 1,531 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Don't tell my husband..., 19 Dec 2012
This review is from: Barrettine Methylated Spirit 500ml (Misc.)
When Gerard, my husband of thirty eight years, questioned my excessive use of Barrettine's Methylated Spirit, I told him that It's the most effective way to rid one's calligraphy brush of stubborn Indian Ink. However, if truth be known, the consumption of Barrettine is the ONLY effective relief I have found from this utterly nightmarish sham of a marriage. If only I could leave my husband and marry a 6ft bottle of Barrettine.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended., 9 Jan 2014
Dickie (Essex U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barrettine Methylated Spirit 500ml (Misc.)
Not so long ago, whilst driving home under the influence of Barrattine methylated spirit, I accidentally mounted the pavement outside my house, knocking down and killing my next door neighbours wife. I complained to him that she shouldn't have been there, as she doesn't usually leave for work until 8.30, and suggested that he might like to make a contribution towards the cost of repairing my car. At this point he became unacceptably rude and aggressive, leaving me no choice but to knock him out with a frozen chicken I had just bought... Still, we laugh about it now. Needless to say, I cannot recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Picnic, 22 Dec 2012
This review is from: Barrettine Methylated Spirit 500ml (Misc.)
I must confess that I had never tried Barretine's until very recently. I was out walking my dog in the park when a happy group of picnickers kindly invited me over to their soiree. After a few glasses of Barretine's refreshing beverage I discovered that everything in my life up to that point had been a lie. My friends, family, partner and job where all false. I unleashed my dog, ditched the poo bag and from that moment on have been hanging out with my new friends. How we laugh at the poor un-enlightened general public we see going about their hum-drum lives, while we revel in the gorgeous flavor of Barretine. Batterine is more than a tipple, its a way of life and I for one can whole heartedly recommend it.

Sincerely

Sir Loin

4.0 out of 5 stars Currying Flavour, 8 Jan 2013
This review is from: Barrettine Methylated Spirit 500ml (Misc.)
I have to say, I wasn't at first convinced this was the all singing all dancing elixir which previous favourable reviews had lead me to believe. I was, however, mightily relieved last week when I was worried my Roadkill Vindaloo seemed to be blighted by a relative blandness, despite the age and questionable source and species of the meat being used. After several different infusions of spices, I noticed the bottle of Barrettine and thought it couldn't possibly do any harm.

How right I was! Not only did it give the badger (fox?) the zing it needed, I was especially pleased to find the cooking pot was terribly easy to clean afterwards.

One teeny weeny word of caution though: if like my friends and I, you like to complete your dinner party with a round of lighting your farts, I would suggest having the telephone number of your local Fire Brigade Station on speed dial.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't drink on a 'school' night, 15 Dec 2012
This review is from: Barrettine Methylated Spirit 500ml (Misc.)
Having never ordered a drink off the internet before I was at first a little apprehensive. Indeed when I received the item I was surprised at the lack of any label information regarding alcohol content. This made me question the legitimacy and origin of the product - I suspect that this drink is less than authentic and is in fact being passed off as genuine Methylated Spirit beverage.

However, after overcoming my initial reservations about the product I stumped up the courage to give it a try. I have to say it goes beautifully with or without food, and I particularly recommend trying it with cranberry juice as a mixer as it takes some of the edge off. I would echo Mr. Hudson's comments about the distinct lack of blackberry in the flavour but for me this was not a major cause for concern.

One warning I will give though: this gave me the MIGHTIEST hangover the next day and it felt like my insides had been dissolved! Careful consumption is therefore advised.

3.0 out of 5 stars Divides opinion..., 18 Dec 2012
This review is from: Barrettine Methylated Spirit 500ml (Misc.)
Based on the strong recommendations of a number of reviewers on the Amazon site, I recently took a bottle of 2011 Barrettine to a dinner party to which I and my wife had been invited. Handing the bottle proudly to our hostess with the obligatory box of Neuhaus chocolates, I was disappointed to see her somewhat frosty reaction. Assuming this was a judgment on the small size of the bottle, I assured her that Barrettine's had not yet acceded to the popular demands for a full 75cl bottle and that the smaller volume of the bottle should be in no way be seen as detracting from its overall quality. When I later heard the sound of her crying behind the kitchen door, I assumed that this was the result of some disappointment at the over-cooking of the salmon, but in a later email from my hosts I have since been informed that a bottle of Barrettine's is not universally appreciated at such occasions.

I mention this story simply to help other readers avoid such a social 'faux pas' themselves, and in future I will certainly test out my hosts' attitudes with some indirect questions about Barrettine's at the point of invitation. Still, in the context of a wider milieu of cultural mediocrity, I say 'hats off' to Barrettine's for a product that can still excite such strong passions and debate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended to all., 11 Jan 2013
This review is from: Barrettine Methylated Spirit 500ml (Misc.)
When upon being asked "what's your poison of choice?" in regards to the evenings alcoholic beverages, I replied "Barrettine". My popularity has flared since. As has my epilepsy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, but where are the blackberries??, 14 Jun 2012
Mr. L. J. Hudson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barrettine Methylated Spirit 500ml (Misc.)
Despite going through three bottles of the stuff, I still cannot detect any hint of blackberries on the palate. The company should really have a chat with their in-house tasters who obviously have no clue what they're talking about! They seem to be incapable of telling the difference in flavour between blackcurrant and blackberry.

Still, it's a lovely, refreshing tipple on a summer evening. Best served in a chilled glass with ice. Nothing can beat the kaleidoscopic patterns made by the sun's rays shining through this pale pink bottle of delight. The play of light on my genuine wood veneer Home Bargains patio table is something to behold.

Grab a few bottles of this fabulous drink while it's at such a low price. You will be the talk of all your friends when you present them with a glass of Barrettine at the next barbecue or dinner party. Why not invite Pam and Paul Ross while you're at it? I'm sure they'd love to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value alternative to Riesling, 13 Dec 2012
Hugo Read (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barrettine Methylated Spirit 500ml (Misc.)
Fresh, intense and with no little complexity. Good length and with hints of benzine this reminds me of a high quality 10 year old Beerenauslese Riesling from the Rheingau but at a fraction of the price.

Note that this isn't a full 75cl bottle, but is a 'bouteille a deux' 50cl, perfect for two to share over a nice supper a plein air. Lovely.