Most helpful positive review
51 of 51 people found the following review helpful
A TRIP BACK TO THE '60s
on 21 July 2011
This must be the best '60s pop compilation you are ever likely to come across -- and such great value. True, it doesn't include the really big names like The Beatles or The Rolling Stones, but what you have here is the essence of '60s pop music, the songs and instrumentals which are instantly recognisable from that era. So, the first record I ever bought is included here : Bernard Cribbins' comic song 'Right Said Fred' with 'Hole In The Ground' on the flip side. Not really a pop song? Well, as other reviewers have already commented, the music of the '60s was so diverse, it encompassed pop, country and western, folk, jazz, crooners -- you name it and the '60s had it.
There are no more than 3 contributions from any one artist, and very few songs, I think, which you will not be able to remember. One surprising omission for me is 'Stranger On The Shore' which was another of my early purchases and a great hit at the time for Acker Bilk.
For the record, I am listing the tracks on Disc 5, as a previous reviewer repeated the tracks on Disc 4 by mistake :
1. JENNY TAKE A RIDE -- Mitch Ryder And The Detroit Wheels.
2. YOU'RE NO GOOD -- The Swinging Blue Jeans.
3. I LIKE IT -- Gerry And The Pacemakers.
4. DO WAH DIDDY DIDDY -- Manfred Mann.
5. POISON IVY -- The Paramounts.
6. YOU GOT WHAT IT TAKES -- Marv Johnson.
7. SABRE DANCE -- Love Sculpture.
8. I'LL NEVER GET OVER YOU -- Johnny Kidd And THe Pirates.
9. PRETTY BLUE EYES -- Craig Douglas.
10. HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN -- The Animals.
11. CONFESSIN' -- Frank Ifield.
12. ON THE ROAD AGAIN -- Canned Heat.
13. THE WEIGHT -- The Band.
14. ONE WAY LOVE -- Cliff Bennett And The Rebel Rousers.
15. BOOM BANG-A-BANG -- Lulu.
16. BIG SPENDER -- Shirley Bassey.
17. HURDY GURDY MAN -- Donovan.
18. BALLAD OF BONNIE & CLYDE -- Georgie Fame.
19. THE CARNIVAL IS OVER -- The Seekers.
20. STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN -- Neil Sedaka.
21. I UNDERSTAND -- Freddie And The Dreamers.
22. ALL I HAVE TO DO IS DREAM -- Bobbie Gentry & Glen Campbell.
23. GREEN FIELDS -- Beverley Sisters.
24. YOU'RE MY WORLD -- Cilla Black.
25. TEARS -- Ken Dodd.