5.0 out of 5 stars Bike Touring
I do a lot of cycling, regularly cycling one day, camping out and then cycling back the next, so the ability to charge electronic devices such as my Garmin and my mobile is essential. I did a few experiments before doing a review so that I would be able to report accurately on my experience...

The Charge Pack:
I completely drained my phone (Motorola Atrix)...
Published on 16 Aug. 2011 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Great product, big design flaw
I really liked this solar panel. It clips easily onto a rucksack and provides enough charge, (when using it to recharge the battery) to recharge a mobile phone after a day with it clipped to your pack in sunny weather. The problem is the USB connector. Its held onto the solar panel with two tiny plastic pins that insert into holes drilled into the panel. They are only...
Published 10 months ago by Peter D. Sherrard

5.0 out of 5 stars Festival Tested, 12 Sept. 2010
Adam Benyon (soton, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PowerBee ® Explorer Pro solar phone charger pack for nearly all UK mobile phones, iPhone 2G 3G 3s 4, Ipods, PSP's, Nintendo DS, Sony PSP, Tom Tom, mp3 players, and nearly all handhelds in the UK (Electronics)
Recently bought this product for the purpose of recharging my portable devices at a music festival. Originally left the battery overnight on mains charge, and can say that it works a dream. The numerous connections meant that my music kept going for a whole four days, even after the MP3 player died from being drenched.

With a complete charge of 4 LED "Dots", the battery can recharge an old MP3 player several times before running completely dry. This means that, with a varying time sat in an upstairs window facing the sun, the panel charges up the battery without any intervention whatsoever.

To conclude, this product was a worthy purchase, the high-capacity battery alone worth the price for outdoor activities and people on the go. It is a hardy little gadget which survived festival weather far better than my MP3 player did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Charge your phone in the middle of nowhere!, 12 Sept. 2011
Background: Last minute camping trip, could only get a non-powered pitch, needed mobile phone to work while on holiday!

Solution: This little pack of tricks kept our whole families mobile phones and games consoles(3 phones and a nintendo DS) charged for the whole week away from a power socket.

I would recommend this product to anyone, the extra panel can make all the difference in cloudy and overcast conditions. The only reason I have given 4 stars instead of 5 is that the connectors are fairly easy to lose when they are removed from the plastic bag, may I suggest zipped or drawstring bag to contain them. Apart from that, I now do not leave the house for weekends away without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Free power wherever you are, 13 Sept. 2010
When you unpack the item you can immediatly see that this product is well designed and made, comes complete with usb cable and has many adaptors to suit most applications.
The powerpack was already fully charged when received so I tested it by rechargeing my mobiles in the wilds of Scotland with no problems.At home the powerpod was recharged using the travel charger through the closed windows of the conservatory.
The system is easy to pack and use and of course the recharging of your phone/player and the power pack is always going to be free. Will be seeing what other applications it can be used for next.
If you are looking for a recharge system you cannot do better than this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile piece of kit, 14 Sept. 2010
I ordered this in July with a limited delivery window in August, which Powerbee hit spot on. I had an upgrade to the executive 3500mAh model and this is very well made and worked extremely well. A days hiking in the Alps with the big panel strapped to the rucksack produced enough juice to easily charge 2 mobiles, one a resource-hungry Nokia 5800. The only downside was that the battery pack looked so sharp, somebody pinched it out of our luggage, probably thinking it was an iPhone! I have ordered a replacement - once you find something that works, you don't want to let it slip away.

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% Recommended, 18 April 2015
My holidays consist of trekking to remote locations with no power available or at a cost!! I bought the PowerBee Explorer Pro Solar Charger before I left for Everest Base Camp.
The charger was perfect and I was able to charge my camera, my tablet and my phone easily. The Solar Panel clipped to the back of my back pack quick and easy.
Would recommend this product 100%

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab solution for green minded people with energy-guzzling smartphones !, 28 Aug. 2010
First of all, I purchased a combination of the panel with Powerpod "executive" solar charger rather than the regular "ordinary" charger marketed here on Amazon. The executive is only slightly more expensive, but is said to charge more efficiently. Nevertheless because I'm an enthusiastic "green" person I wanted to share my experiences, because it can't be far different from the standard Powerpod and the make is the same.

I will stick to the facts based on my experience, which so far has been good. My HTC HD2 smartphone would be fully charged from empty in about 4 hours. This would take about 2/3 to 3/4 of the capacity of the battery pack.

When entirely empty and placed in the window seal over 2 half-cloudy days it would typically charge 25% on 1 day. On the next 2 fully cloudy & rainy days, no (visible) additional charge was noted. I then attached it to the larger solar panel (which is still a convenient size to bring along for camping etc.). It then charged about 25% over 2 hours in (mostly) full sun.

For those who expect that the pod will be charged on sun as fast as on your home-electricity net; don't. You can't compare it and should not raise your expectations that high; I feel 25% on a half sunny day through the small pod-panel and 25% over 2 sunny hours over the large panel is actually quite good.

Overall I'm very happy about the set so far. It has already proven very useful on days of house-hunting when my smartphone will not last more than 3 hours and I can place both phone and powerpod in the transparent upper part of the steer-bag of my bicycle while finding my way with Google-maps and I'm sure it'll come in very handy with my future travel and camping trips. I did try a cheapy from another brand 2 years back which I had to send back as it didn't work at all, so I was rather reluctant to buy this with only 1 review at that time. I'm not sure whether it is improvement of solar panels over time, or whether I just spent a bit more on better quality, but I don't regret and can recommend the set that I bought.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 17 April 2015
I purchased this for my nephew who is always out in his bike in the summer, and also almost always has a gadget that needs charging. He was very pleased with it, it needs to be almost always out to charge up but as he attached it to his rucksack or left it outside on the tent this was fine for charging his phone etc.

2.0 out of 5 stars Post sales a bit pants., 6 Feb. 2014
R. J. Murphy - See all my reviews
Received pre xmas 2013 - took skiing - documentation a bit sketchy as to what you can connect(directly or otherwise).

Large blue cell didn't seem to do anything in direct alpine sunlight - asked powerbee about it around 5 weeks ago, and still no response.

The 'battery' charger pack works fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best solar charger ever!!!, 24 April 2014
This is brilliant. I took this on my D of E gold expedition and was able to recharge my phone everyday! The solar charger can be used to charge the phone directly or recharge the battery pack, which also has it's own solar charger! Easily the best solar charge I have ever used/ owned. I recommend this to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 27 Feb. 2014
My constant outdoor life and power draining phone used to be a challenge. Thankfully since buying the power bee and executive pack, simplicity has been restored! My daily cycle commute, regular hikes and wild camping have been enhanced by the back up power source and ability to solar charge. Thank you