Price:£1.34+ Free shipping

on 15 December 2010
Ok I'm a driving instructor so I know a thing or two about L plates!

Firstly I find variations in the design between sellers/suppliers. But all L plates are legally required to meet strict dimensions and must be red (a set I bought from a well known DIY chain were not legal).

As the cold weather arrives I find fully magnetic L plates fly off the car more readily-the bonnet of my car is curved and there is no other place at the front of the vehicle to put them.
But you can do something to improve adhesion. You need the surface of the L plate and the paintwork clean.
Yes warming them up before you apply them helps- warm water or stick them to the radiator in the house!(a warm bonnet helps-would your hairdryer reach?) ;)
Also a little moisture behind helps them stick but not for long periods- it's not good for the paintwork.

Ok so here's my opinion of these AA plates:

They are legal (although they are slightly pale red).

They are cheap.

They arrived quickly.

But they don't seem good quality!
I usually buy from Halfords but when my old pair had faded I decided to try these.

I bought them at the end of September while it was still warm and they did not lay flat from the start.
I lost 2 pairs within days and at relatively low speeds!
They are made from a different, thinner material to the Halfords plates, they don't form with the shape of the bonnet and even curl up!
I've resorted to using them on the rear of the car only now (gone back to the expensive Halfords plates on the front).
I'm guessing the extra wieght, thickness (therefore magnetism) and different material help the Halfords plates adhere better. The Halfords plates usually stay on at 70mph on the dual carriageway!

So unless I bought a bad batch of plates I don't know how the other reviewers have given them such high ratings.
on 22 March 2012
I purchased these L plates only the other day to find that they are NOT FULLY ADHESIVE and NOT AA PLATES. They are a completely different plates and have these pathetic excuses for magnetic strips on the back... The kind of ones that you can get from poundland.
on 23 February 2012
I have purchased 4 sets of magnetic L plates now. I bought 2 of these particular ones. Thus far, every set have been blown off and been lost. These particular ones are probably the worst to date to date where the maximum speed we drove at was 40mph and they had all vanished within 3 miles. I had two on the bonnet, and one on each side (rear of car is all glass so a sticky one was the only option).
I've now done a little research and have come to realise that the ones (such as this specific set) that are affixed by a thin magnetic strip at the top and bottom of the L plate are destined to fail every time. Seriously folks - just do not bother! You may as well toss the cash out of the car window as this is exactly what you'll be doing by buying this rubbish.
I've now ordered the type that are one entire sheet of magnetic material (usually called 'fully magnetic' but check their definition of this first if not explained).
In Summary: AVOID
on 9 February 2012
Recieved these today, they were not AA plates but plates from a company called Maxim (not sure if the two companies are linked at all). Regardless of manufacturer, the plates are falsely advertised because they are NOT fully magnetic (as in the entire bottom face being magnetic) but attach to the car via magnetic strips, which means they will blow off at high speeds.
It's illegal to not have L plates when learning to drive. Having them in the middle of the road 10 miles back does not get you out of it. Simply they fly off at 30mph, which is also dangerous.
on 31 October 2010
I got one pair of these earlier. One of them got blown away as soon as we joined a dual carriageway for the first time. Then ordered another pair. Now i use them with a bit of sticky tape on two sides. This works fine and it hasn't blown away yet.

So, good quality, but don't depend on the magnet only.
on 15 February 2011
Sadly, not impress. The first time the darling teenager made it over 30 miles an hour, the front 'L' plate took off, cleared the hedge and buried itself in a muddy field - where it surely remains to this day. Something with stronger magnets is definitely required.
on 19 February 2012
totally followed the instuction to use the plates, but still, when I drove home at a 30m/h speed, it blew away again. But honestly, this is the third time I bought magnetic L plates in 2 month time, the last two were from halfords, both of them also blew away quite quickly,well.....
on 22 July 2010
Compared to other outlets and retailers these are excellent value. The magnetic backing makes them adhere easily to steel surfaces and carrying the AA logo you can expect a quality item. One tip I found useful was to warm them up in warm water first to make them more pliable if attaching to a curved surface.
on 12 April 2013
I am a Learner driver i brought these to go on to my car, i followed the instructions from other comments for example clean the outside of the car before using the L plates as they stick better. However the first time i went out in my cleaned car with the L plates going through a 30 zone the front L plate came off when driving. This has happened more than once. I have now turned to having stick on L plates these are much better they don't come off and the ones i have brought don't damage the paint work.