2,227 Reviews
 (1,445)

1,823 of 1,847 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars To sleep, perchance to dream... THIS WORKS!
This product totally works, my son is only 22 mths old, but 5 days later it had completely changed his waking times from 4am to 6am! And 9 days in, he's now consistently waking up between 6.15 - 6.30am. Below is how I did it -

My 22 mth old son has always been a bit of a challenging sleeper, but recently it was just getting ridiculous. 4am starts told me that...
Published on 9 Nov. 2010 by Phoz

3.0 out of 5 stars Basically does what it should, but could be better.
My two year old enjoys me reading the small book that comes with the clock and enjoys the routine of changing the yellow sun to blue when at the appropriate page. It basically does what it should and my son understands the concept "don't wake up mummy & daddy until the sun appears".

What is not so good is that without giving me the option, part way through the...
Published 14 months ago by Nigel Ackroyd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 4 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
Brilliant idea, works well, had some issues with the night light until I realised you could turn it off. Fab product, has changed my life, as my toddler now gets up (at least comes out of her room, she's probably awake before the sun comes up) when the sun comes up, for us thats 7pm. I love this product, it's easy to work, and works for little ones that dont no what time it is. My daughter has, on the odd occasion, come in to tell us it's morning when in fact it's an hour after her clock has been set, nice to no she can sleep in if she wants (and us). Also, her step brother, who stays every other weekend, now also waits for the sun to come up...heaven!

5.0 out of 5 stars An end to early risers, 19 July 2010
Gill Le Fevre (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I was a bit dubious about this clock before buying, but I can happily say that it has absolutely transformed my daughter's sleep habits.

I had three reservations before buying:
1. that my daughter would completely ignore it
2. (conversely) that my daughter would obey it rigidly and stay in bed when she'd had a nightmare
3. that the transition from night to day would wake her when she was otherwise asleep

When it arrived, my daughter (age 3) was very excited about having a "grown up" clock. I set it up and we read the story together. The first morning, she came into our room as normal, but was taken back to bed and told to stay put until the sun came up. This was repeated for another two mornings and then it all clicked into place. Since then, the clock works about 90% of the time.

The only times it hasn't worked were when my parents were visiting (and my daughter was far too excited about seeing her grandparents) or when my 1 year old son wakes up early and stands in his cot shouting.

None of my reservations have been founded and it's taken away a lot of the stress around bedtime.

My tips for success:
1. read the story regularly (my daughter particularly loved seeing "her" clock in a book)
2. be consistent about returning your child to bed if the sun isn't up -- for the first few days I did this even if there was only 10 mins to go
3. don't have unrealistic expectations as to how long you can get your child to sleep for (for example, our week-day time is the same time we get up, because I can't expect her to stay in bed if she can hear us moving around)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifesaver!, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
Our son is a pretty good sleeper, but waking up time was getting earlier and earlier, so we thought we'd try this. We bought it a few weeks before his 2nd birthday. I thought that he might have been a little young, but it's worked a treat.
Whereas before he would wake up around 6:30 (or earlier), yelling for mummy and daddy, if he wakes when the clock is blue, he will sit in his cot, play with his toys and chat quietly to himself. After just a few days of using the clock, he would put himself back to sleep.
The clock is set for 7:30 and whilst he normally still wakes a little bit before then, he knows to wait quietly for it to turn yellow before he can get up. Then at 7:30 we hear 'mummy! Daddy! Yellow! Time get up!'.
I was really surprised at how well it worked even though he is so young - he is quite good with his colours so I guess that's more important that age. I'd say it took about a week or so for him to really get the hang of it. We would go into his room if we woke, say 'look at the clock. It's blue, that means sleep', and leave again. The first few days we did that two or three times, and then would turn it yellow ourselves and say 'look! Yellow! Wake up!'. But we never have to turn it yellow now, he just waits.
It's such a simple idea and works wonderfully.
If I could knock half a star off I would, just because I find it a bit tricky to navigate the menus to change the time etc, but it's not that bad and getting the extra hour in bed is SO worth that tiny minor annoyance!

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuis Clock!, 13 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I have a situation where I have just started to try and get my 18month and 3year old sharing a room. 18month wakes up around 5.30/6.00am. 3yr old in her own room used to sleep till 7.30/8.00am.
I put them in in a room together!!! and oh dear! Neither of them were used to sleeping with each other so to get them to settle was a night mare. I had to at one point co sleep with the 3yr old just so she was comforted when she went to sleep and the younger cried.
I had to stop that soon enough as she became too reliant on mummy sleeping with her. I'm a busy full time working mum, so I had to be up after the girls went to bed to get things done. 3yr old started waking up earlier because of her sister and started crying for me not to leave for work in the mornings. ( very stressfull).
Final resort I saw the reviews on this and thought. If I can get my older child to ignore her younger sisters crying and stay in bed till the sun came up on this clock.....
I had a couple of teething probs, figuring out there was a child lock was usefull. My daughter now ignores her younger sibling even when she's shouting from her cot and jumps up when the sun does come on to find us :) Happy. Soon the 18 month old may come to understand it too. Phew so far so good. I can go to work in peace. and know my child is getting more rest. Thank you gro clock. Only thing I will say is the child lock could be made harder for toddlers to unlock. Also my 18month tends to pull it out of its mains powered line. But other then that fab!

5.0 out of 5 stars The inventors deserve a Nighthood- life changing!, 6 Mar. 2014
T. Jones (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I brought this clock for my son who was 18 months old at the time after seeing the recommendations on here and after being told about it by a friend. I was sceptical but thought it was worth the go as my son is an awful sleeper. Since 9 months we'd managed to get him to sleep of sorts but he would insist on getting up at 6am or 5am or before if we were unlucky. Having endured 9 months of this I was desperate for anything to ensure that he'd sleep a little later, bearing in mind that he won't go to sleep until 8.30 pm or 9pm- he obviously just doesn't need the sleep. It says on the box that the clock should be used form age 2 onwards but as my son is quite inquisitive I thought it was worth a go to try to use it from 18 months having read the reviews on here from other parents. We followed the advice given by another reviewer on here, i.e setting the time at the time he normally woke up and then moving it forward by 5 minutes each morning. I also read the book that comes with it to my son for the first week or so and made a real fuss of explaining what the sun means and what the stars mean. I was astounded to note that after a week he was sleeping in until 7am!! On occasions he's slept in til 7.30 and even 8.30 on one occasion. It really is amazing! My son is now obsessed with the clock and the first thing he does when he goes to his bedroom is to look for the clock to see what's on it. he also regularly looks into the sky to look for the sun or moon. I admit that on occasion it doesn't work in that he will wake up early say 6.30 rather than the 7 that we now set it for but on these occasions I will sit with him in the dark and wait for the sun to come so that I am constantly reinforcing the message that you don't get up until the sun is up. Even if he never sleeps in again it is worth the money alone as it's been life changing to finally be able to get up at 7 rather than suffer 5am starts for months. I cannot praise this product enough- buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars no more sleeping in mummy's bed!, 21 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I LOVE this clock!! With a new baby on the way I was beginning to panic about how I'd cope with a toddler (2y 9m) who would not stay in her bed all night and was slowly getting worse. We'd tried everything else, even redecorated her bedroom etc which helped for a short time but didn't solve the issue.
Now we are on week 4 and the difference is just amazing. Even if she does wake up she will always go back to sleep in her own bed until the sun, and excitedly runs out of her room in the morning yelling "Mum, Dad, the sun is up".
its not all about the click tho, you have to be ready to make small changes too and be firm in the first few days.
Tips -
1. Be ready to be firm, you need to put in a routine that works with the clock and be ready for tears on night one, any maybe 2/3.
we aren't strict in that she goes to bed at the same time exactly but it's always between 7:20-7:50 depending how tired she is.
2. Be realistic when setting the time for the sun to come up. This is a visual clock, they can't won't know what actual time it is (unless your child is much older). You want them to feel encouraged which they will if they achieve that massive thing of staying in bed until the sun, you can gradually put change the time so the sun comes up later.
If you just want them to stay in their bed then set the sun until 5 on day one (but be prepared to get up and be excited when they achieve it). Then push it back to 5:15, then 5:30 and so on. if they wake before the sun show them how many stars are left. If they get up before 5 then you may need to start with the time of the sun earlier, but it won't take long to get it past 6. They just need that encouragement that the sun will come out and once they have that and get used to waiting for it, knowing it will happen and it won't take too long, they will be staying in bed longer in no time at all.
3. Always read the book that comes with it, every night, and let little one press the button to say goodbye to the sun.
4. Always lock it so they can't make the sun come up themselves!
5. Make a big deal out of it when they stay in bed until the sun. We got her a little present from the fairies after night 6. Just some new slippers but she knew why she had them.
I nearly failed badly on night one! She woke in the night wanting to come in my bed but I was firm and showed her that the starts were still out do she had to stay in her bed. I pointed out that there was only 5 stars left. Great success she got back into her bed, a few tears when I left her, but she stayed there and went to sleep. Having set the sun to come up at 7, she woke at 5:30 and I was trying to explain that she must stay in bed until the sun and then her dad got up due to early start and she could hear him! I had to put the sun up early and then change the time for that week so that if she woke and heard daddy, she could see that it was 'ok' as the sun was up. Although I don't think she woke before 6 again that week anyway.
I have had nights where I've needed to give her a cuddle and she's wanted me to lay with her for 5 minutes but I have slowly weaned her off that and I have now got the time set at 6:40 for the sun. I could probably set it to 7, but 6:40 is very acceptable and actually often she sleeps past this time anyway, it just means that when she dies wake she knows it's ok to get up.
For me it's amazing that she will a. Stay in her own bed and b. Go back to sleep even if she has woken up at 4/5am after a good solid 8/9hrs. Even if she does wake a but before the sun, she will stay in her room now and wait for it before running into me. Just amazing,can't I make sure she knows how happy it makes mummy and daddy when she sleeps all night until the sun!

Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Product !!!, 9 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
We have a two and a half year old son who, up until about 2yrs old slept right through the night until about 8 O'clock. Without any change in routine he began to wake up earlier and earlier full of the joys of life and ready to take on the day (anywhere between 5am - 6.30am). He's a stubborn little man so no amount of persuasion could convince him that it wasn't time to get up so up he'd get using our heads as a trampoline usually at 5.30am. We tried everything from cutting back on his daytime nap to sending him to bed later but nothing worked.....Until we saw this Gro Clock on Amazon.
I ordered the clock thinking there wasn't a hope of it working. I told a few of our friends about the clock (also parents of young kids) and they were laughing dismissing it as a gimmick. Anyway, too late it was ordered at that stage so I decided to embrace it and give it a go.
A day before the clock was due to arrive I sat himself down and explained that we were getting him a lovely clock that was going to tell him when it was time to get out of bed in the morning. He seemed excited and definitely understood the concept of how the process was "supposed" to work.
When the clock arrived I set it to wake up at 7am and low and behold the very next morning at 7.01am I heard the thump of feet hitting the floor and thundering into our room telling us the sun was out on the clock and it was time to get up.
We have the clock about a month or 2 now and it has worked every single morning so far. Twice he chanced his arm getting up before 7 and all we had to ask him was "What was on the clock" When he answered "Stars" he knew the game was up and back he toddled to bed. On one of these occasions when I was tucking him back in he told me that there was only two stars left until the sun came up, I asked him what he meant and he showed me that there are little starts on the outside that count down to when the sun appears I was really surprised and delighted that he had grasped the concept so well.
Initially, I found it a bit fiddly/awkward to set the wake time but nothing too bad. There's also a daytime nap function as well as the night time mode. A few times we set the daytime mode by accident (set to come on at 3pm) so we got an extra long rest on those mornings :). Not wanting to make that mistake too often for fear he'd start disregarding the clock altogether we set both alarms for 7am so it doesn't matter which mode is selected (we didn't use the daytime nap one anyway). Once the times are set correctly it's simple to operate, in fact it's his job to activate the clock every night, which makes him feel very important :).
I'm amazed at how effective the clock has been and I never thought it would buy us back so many hours of precious sleep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 2 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I don't often write product reviews but felt that I must after using the Gro-clock! I have a toddler that decided to start getting up anytime between 2am-6am trying to get into our bed. She's never been the best sleeper but with a newborn baby in the house, I was starting to reach the end of my tether when I decided to look into solutions.

A couple of my friends suggested a Gro-clock and I'll admit that I was incredibly skeptical at the suggestion. My toddler is incredibly strong-willed and if she doesn't want to do something, she won't! I did not think that telling her to stay in bed until the sunshine appears would work at all, but miraculously, it has! She's gone from getting up 4-5 times a night trying to get into our bed to consistently sleeping through the night and staying in her own bed until 6.30am (and sometimes even sleeping past this!)

We read the accompanying storybook when we first got the clock so that she would understand the concept of the clock and set an initial time of 6.15am. The first few nights were trial and error, she was still getting up and coming into our room, but taking her back and showing her that the stars were still on the clock gave us a good reason to get her back into bed a bit more easily. Over the next few nights, the night-time wanderings became less and less frequent until she managed a full night only getting up when Mr Sunshine appeared. We made a really big fuss of her when this happened (and a treat of a few episodes of Peppa ;-) ) and ever since then, she's been staying in bed until the sunshine appears and is really excited when she gets up! We've even recently managed to move the time on from 6.15 to 6.30 without any problems!

I would thoroughly recommend a Gro-clock to anyone that is having problems getting their child to stay in their bed. A few months ago, I'd resigned myself to spending most nights trying to get her back in her own bed and I still can't believe that she'll now stay in bed happily for a good 12hrs at night! Gro-clock, you are a godsend!

4.0 out of 5 stars We love it and our son too, 25 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
Our son just turned 4y old. He rarely slept all night through since he was a baby, and since he move to a big boy bed, he always showed up in our bed in the middle of the night (and he would come back for 4/5 times if we would try to bring him back - rarely). More or less 2 months ago we decided it was time that we all got some decent sleep and started to put him back to bed always, no exception as been made ever since. We thought if we would be consistent the problem would go away after 2 or 3 weeks, but no way. It was a very hard first month, 3 weeks ago we introduced the Gro Clock + the Good Night reward chart (birthday present) and we have started to see some real improvement. He now sleeps 4 or 5 nights a week in his bed without waking/getting up. I think the clock gives him control over time and this comforts him and the chart is the positive reinforcement, the stars are really easy to get, so he is motivated to get the smileys too in the morning. We now hope that a couple more weeks and our sleep problem is a thing of the past. The only negative thing is that it does not come with an adapter (we live in Belgium) and there is no battery option in case the electricity fails. For the rest we love it, the light is not too bright, we think is really smart that the clock divides whatever time is missing until wake up into twelve starts and my son loves to be himself setting up the clock into night mode when he goes to bed as I think it makes him feel all grow up. Instructions are very easy to follow! As for the book, I guess is ok for little children, but we never really use it as the story is a bit basic.

5.0 out of 5 stars From 4am to 6.30am in 2 days!!, 6 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I've bought 100's of items from Amazon and this is the first review I've done, because I hope it will help someone.

Our little boy, bless his cotton socks, is an early riser - anything from 4am to 5.30am. Anything past 6 was rare and a blessing! I can't remember about how I came across the Gro Clock, but thought anything was worth a shot. The more I thought about it though, it's obvious - your little one wakes up and doesn't know the time, so they naturally want to get up. So you can't blame them for shouting and yelling to get Mummy and daddy up too.

When the clock arrived, it took a few minutes to set up and we were sorted. It comes with a little story book so you can show your little one it first and make a big deal about the sun coming up. The first night, he was up at 4.30am. I pinted to the clock and showed him the stars and told him it was still nighttime and left him. Cue screaming the house down for 30 minutes until he went back to sleep (a miracle in itself). He got back up past 6am when the Sun was displayed so I made a big deal of the sun being up and it being Wakey Time!

The day after, a little better and by the day after, he was set. Doesn't shout until the Sun is up and we have it set at 6.30am. Don't know if he's waking inbetween and going back to sleep, but regardless he's not getting me or wife up until a decent time!

For info, he has just turned 2 so I would imagine it can be used with ease for slightly older children.

Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer