1,705 Reviews
 (1,111)

1,544 of 1,558 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars To sleep, perchance to dream... THIS WORKS!
This product totally works, my son is only 22 mths old, but 5 days later it had completely changed his waking times from 4am to 6am! And 9 days in, he's now consistently waking up between 6.15 - 6.30am. Below is how I did it -

Published on 9 Nov 2010 by Phoz

I've been using it now for almost 3 weeks, so thought it was worthwhile posting a review.

Published on 11 Feb 2010 by HBlaber

1,544 of 1,558 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars To sleep, perchance to dream... THIS WORKS!, 9 Nov 2010
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)

My 22 mth old son has always been a bit of a challenging sleeper, but recently it was just getting ridiculous. 4am starts told me that something needed to be done (not least of all because my husband was away, so I was doing all the early morning starts!) Anyway, I invested in a groclock after a friend recommended one. I have to say, I was a bit dubious, my son is only 22 mths old, and I wondered if he'd actually understand what was going on.

The first day I got it, we read the accompanying book a couple of times, then I spent 3 x 5min sessions with him running through the demo mode, so we saw the sun wink (bye bye Mr Sun!) and turn into the star (Night night! Sleeping time! - we pretended to go to sleep) then into the sun again (Morning Mr Sun! Get up! Get up! - we leapt up and danced around). We did this until it seemed like he understood what was going on. I ambitiously set the sun to come up at 6am, and waited to see how it would go.

Anyway, needless to say, day 1 he woke up at 4am, I went into his room, sat with him, and just kept saying, no, sleeping time, we need to wait until the sun gets up (I'd put some toys in his cot for him to play with, and I encouraged him to do so). After an hour of this, he was beginning to lose the plot, so I subtly changed the clock to the sun, and waited for him to notice. When he did, I made a HUGE fuss of him - yes, yes clever boy, it IS the sun. Let's get up!!

Day 2, woke up at 4.10am. This time I gave it a bit longer before I went in to sit in his room, then again encouraged him to read his books, play with his cars etc. I talked to him about having to wait for Mr Sun, and didn't stay in the whole time, went in, reassured, then went out. At no time did I get him out of his cot, I just encouraged him to wait for the sun.

Day 3, woke up at 5.40am. This time, because it was only 20 mins until he had to get up, I didn't go in at all, just talked to him from outside the door about having to wait for the sun.

Day 4, woke up at 4.55am. I was a bit discouraged, felt like we were going backwards, but this time I didn't go in, just called out to reassure him, and encourage him to play with his cars, read his books, and wait for the sun. Again, I constantly reassured him if he called out or cried, but I didn't go in.

Day 5, woke up at 5.45am, and played until the sun came up

Day 6, woke up AFTER THE SUN!! 6.01am!!

Day 7, woke up at 6.35am

Day 8, woke up at 6.16am (I then took the plunge and changed the wakeup time from 6.00am to 6.15am)

Day 9, woke up at 5.40am, but didn't cry, then put himself back to sleep until 6.20am. He has NEVER put himself back to sleep before.

My top tips for success are

1) Decide you really want to do this before you start. You'll need an iron will to keep going even when bubs is protesting.

2) Once you really decide you want to do it, do NOT get the child out of bed until 'Mr Sun' comes up. I found it was ok to go in and sit with them, encourage them to play in their bed / cot, reassure them etc. If the child really starts to lose it, I would press the button to bring on the sun for the first day, or the second at a real push, but try not to let them see you doing it, otherwise they'll associate you with the sun - and it's key they understand the sun comes out independently of Mummy or Daddy coming into their room! Similarly, try not to go in if you can possibly help it.

3) Set the wake up time as their regular wake up time for the first day, then move it by 15 mins each day until you get to your desired time. I didn't do this, and think it would probably have helped.

4) Think about what you do with your child when they wake up. I thought about it and realised that we were letting him watch telly (mainly because we were so wiped!!), but actually this was reinforcing the early waking, as he was leaping out of bed, so excited about watching Peppa Pig! By not allowing him to watch telly until I was preparing dinner, I removed this association. So now, it's a cup of milk and independent play until 7am, when he has breakfast.

5) Spend a bit of time each day for the first week running through the demo mode with very exaggerated actions and enthusiasm (e.g. loud snores for sleeping, big leaps for getting up). Make it fun. And do it until your child understands. Reinforce it whenever you're reading any book, most kids books have pictures of suns or stars somewhere in them - point at it, and say what is this? Child will say 'sun, stars' etc - say, yes, it's the sun, star - what does that mean? Child - wake up, sleep. You - yes, that's RIGHT. Clever boy/girl - when we see the SUN we WAKE UP!, when we see the STAR we SLEEP.

6) Be consistent - be consistent, be consistent. Don't do it unless you're going to see it through, as your child will absolutely test you to see if you're serious. So this is why it helps to set the wakeup time close to their actual wakeup time to begin with - it's much easier to reinforce if you don't have to deal with an hour of protesting to begin with!

5.0 out of 5 stars More sleep for everyone!, 24 Aug 2009
J. Boothman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I bought this a few weeks ago for my 3 year old son who kept getting up ridiculously early, whatever time he had gone to bed. As he has been growing out of daytime sleeps he was getting really tired and bad tempered in the day.
The price nearly put me off but the clock seemed a good design and I decided to give it a try over the holidays. It has worked perfectly. He has enjoyed setting it in the evenings (watching the sun close its eyes and change into the moon) and comes into our room at 7.30am with a beaming smile every morning telling us that the sun has come up. He has always had a night light in his bedroom and this doubles up as that, plus you can alter the brightness.
Setting it up initially was quite straightforward and if you unplug it to move it or to take away on holiday, it retains the settings. The fact that it can also be set to display digital time and has an audio alarm if required means that it will go on to be useful as he gets older.
In summary we are all getting more sleep and are a much happier household!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for a full night sleep!, 17 Oct 2010
S.P (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
Our 18 month old daughter was waking earlier and earlier and we couldn't take it any more! 6:30am was one thing, but before 6am, no ways. We bought the clock and read the book to her for a few nights and it seems to work. We use it for nap times as well. She sometimes gets up 10-15 minutes before the sun and often we go in and tell her to call us when the sun comes and she goes back down for another 1/2 hour!
I would definitely recommend this clock!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 Sep 2010
Brilliant idea.
Excellent, straightforward design.
Fingers crossed...so far its keeping my daughter in her bed until 'the sun gets up'.
The storybook included with clock is excellent too.

3.0 out of 5 stars If you buy this, buy it BEFORE they discover they can get out of bed!, 11 Feb 2010
HBlaber (East Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)

On the plus side, it's a nicely designed and packaged product. The little board book that comes with it is great quality cute and my son loves reading it (and in fact has memorised it and can read it to me). You can lock the keys so that your children can't reset it, which is a bonus. And it gives enough of a glow that the room isn't in darkness, but it won't keep them awake either.

On the negative side, it didn't work for us. It might have done if we'd introduced it as soon as we moved him from his cot to his big boy bed, BEFORE he'd worked out that he could get up when he pleased. He still wakes during the night, disregards the clock and comes wandering into our bedroom. To be fair, he usually goes back and lies down again nicely when I show him that the sun hasn't come up, but I still end up getting out of bed!

I'd also have liked the ability to have a different wake-up setting for weekends that could be stored automatically, rather than having to reset the wake-up time every Friday night.

In summary, if you're thinking of moving your little one into their `big boy/girl bed' and are concerned about them getting out of bed early, then get the clock now and start using it before the move. If you've already got an early starter, then I'd probably not bother.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended as for us it really worked at getting our ..., 7 July 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
Highly recommended as for us it really worked at getting our daughter to sleep through the night, plus it acts as a night light. This is now the second one we own for our second child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I bought this years ago for my 3 year old. Even at almost 5 she still uses it and doesn't get out of bed until the sun comes up.

5.0 out of 5 stars I get to sleep past 6am!! yay!, 23 July 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I bought this for my son shortly after his second birthday, after he decided his new getting up time would b 4am....with a newborn as well my reaction to this was less than favourable!!
I did worry he might b a little young to understand, but within two days he was still waking up at 4, but id hear him say 'no sunshine yet, back to bed' and back to sleep hed go, or lay in bed playing quietly. Hes now back to sleeping til about 630 phew!
The clock is really easy to use, and the book is a nice story, but would need to use a simpler explanation for younger kids I think. Changing the clock from sun to stars become part of his bedtime routine really quickly and he likes saying goodnight to the sunshine and hello to the twinkle stars!
Its not a miracle worker, but it worked for us and the odd occasion where he does want to get up at silly o clock its a good tool to use to remind him that its still time for sleeping. Id certainly recommend giving it a try!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I hoped - had to return, 26 Aug 2009
W. Osborne (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I had great hopes for this item after reading the other reviews, but unfortunately this only lasted 3 days in our household before I returned it.

The product quality and build are very good and the concept is great. However, we found one major flaw. The clock face is quite large and the image is back-lit, so that the whole face lights up. At 2am in a dark room, this is a REALLY bright light, and it would wake my daughter up and she would say that it had to be morning time because it was so bright in her room. We moved the position of the clock so that it wasn't shining over her bed, but then she couldn't see when the moon had turned into the sun, so that was pointless. We turned the brightness down to the lowest setting, but it was still extremely bright.

It would be much better if the moon symbol was illuminated and not the whole clockface. This would mena that their concept of the moon turning into the sun to show get-up time would still work, but it wouldn't look like Blackpool Illuminations in the child's bedroom!

1.0 out of 5 stars Would be better if the stars counted down over the course of ..., 6 July 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
Not that impressed really. Would be better if the stars counted down over the course of the last two hours rather than during the whole night as our little boy has to wait an age for the last star to go out. Hasn't helped his sleep pattern at all and this product is heading for ebay very soon!!! Really disappointed

Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer