2,091 Reviews
 (1,359)

1,766 of 1,789 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars To sleep, perchance to dream... THIS WORKS!
This product totally works, my son is only 22 mths old, but 5 days later it had completely changed his waking times from 4am to 6am! And 9 days in, he's now consistently waking up between 6.15 - 6.30am. Below is how I did it -

Published on 9 Nov. 2010 by Phoz

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I hoped - had to return
I had great hopes for this item after reading the other reviews, but unfortunately this only lasted 3 days in our household before I returned it.

The product quality and build are very good and the concept is great. However, we found one major flaw. The clock face is quite large and the image is back-lit, so that the whole face lights up. At 2am in a dark...
Published on 26 Aug. 2009 by W. Osborne

1,766 of 1,789 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars To sleep, perchance to dream... THIS WORKS!, 9 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)

My 22 mth old son has always been a bit of a challenging sleeper, but recently it was just getting ridiculous. 4am starts told me that something needed to be done (not least of all because my husband was away, so I was doing all the early morning starts!) Anyway, I invested in a groclock after a friend recommended one. I have to say, I was a bit dubious, my son is only 22 mths old, and I wondered if he'd actually understand what was going on.

The first day I got it, we read the accompanying book a couple of times, then I spent 3 x 5min sessions with him running through the demo mode, so we saw the sun wink (bye bye Mr Sun!) and turn into the star (Night night! Sleeping time! - we pretended to go to sleep) then into the sun again (Morning Mr Sun! Get up! Get up! - we leapt up and danced around). We did this until it seemed like he understood what was going on. I ambitiously set the sun to come up at 6am, and waited to see how it would go.

Anyway, needless to say, day 1 he woke up at 4am, I went into his room, sat with him, and just kept saying, no, sleeping time, we need to wait until the sun gets up (I'd put some toys in his cot for him to play with, and I encouraged him to do so). After an hour of this, he was beginning to lose the plot, so I subtly changed the clock to the sun, and waited for him to notice. When he did, I made a HUGE fuss of him - yes, yes clever boy, it IS the sun. Let's get up!!

Day 2, woke up at 4.10am. This time I gave it a bit longer before I went in to sit in his room, then again encouraged him to read his books, play with his cars etc. I talked to him about having to wait for Mr Sun, and didn't stay in the whole time, went in, reassured, then went out. At no time did I get him out of his cot, I just encouraged him to wait for the sun.

Day 3, woke up at 5.40am. This time, because it was only 20 mins until he had to get up, I didn't go in at all, just talked to him from outside the door about having to wait for the sun.

Day 4, woke up at 4.55am. I was a bit discouraged, felt like we were going backwards, but this time I didn't go in, just called out to reassure him, and encourage him to play with his cars, read his books, and wait for the sun. Again, I constantly reassured him if he called out or cried, but I didn't go in.

Day 5, woke up at 5.45am, and played until the sun came up

Day 6, woke up AFTER THE SUN!! 6.01am!!

Day 7, woke up at 6.35am

Day 8, woke up at 6.16am (I then took the plunge and changed the wakeup time from 6.00am to 6.15am)

Day 9, woke up at 5.40am, but didn't cry, then put himself back to sleep until 6.20am. He has NEVER put himself back to sleep before.

My top tips for success are

1) Decide you really want to do this before you start. You'll need an iron will to keep going even when bubs is protesting.

2) Once you really decide you want to do it, do NOT get the child out of bed until 'Mr Sun' comes up. I found it was ok to go in and sit with them, encourage them to play in their bed / cot, reassure them etc. If the child really starts to lose it, I would press the button to bring on the sun for the first day, or the second at a real push, but try not to let them see you doing it, otherwise they'll associate you with the sun - and it's key they understand the sun comes out independently of Mummy or Daddy coming into their room! Similarly, try not to go in if you can possibly help it.

3) Set the wake up time as their regular wake up time for the first day, then move it by 15 mins each day until you get to your desired time. I didn't do this, and think it would probably have helped.

4) Think about what you do with your child when they wake up. I thought about it and realised that we were letting him watch telly (mainly because we were so wiped!!), but actually this was reinforcing the early waking, as he was leaping out of bed, so excited about watching Peppa Pig! By not allowing him to watch telly until I was preparing dinner, I removed this association. So now, it's a cup of milk and independent play until 7am, when he has breakfast.

5) Spend a bit of time each day for the first week running through the demo mode with very exaggerated actions and enthusiasm (e.g. loud snores for sleeping, big leaps for getting up). Make it fun. And do it until your child understands. Reinforce it whenever you're reading any book, most kids books have pictures of suns or stars somewhere in them - point at it, and say what is this? Child will say 'sun, stars' etc - say, yes, it's the sun, star - what does that mean? Child - wake up, sleep. You - yes, that's RIGHT. Clever boy/girl - when we see the SUN we WAKE UP!, when we see the STAR we SLEEP.

6) Be consistent - be consistent, be consistent. Don't do it unless you're going to see it through, as your child will absolutely test you to see if you're serious. So this is why it helps to set the wakeup time close to their actual wakeup time to begin with - it's much easier to reinforce if you don't have to deal with an hour of protesting to begin with!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase!!! Wish I had known about it earlier!, 28 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
My 3 year old has not woken us up in the middle of the night since we got it. (Had it about 2 months) If she wakes up now she knows it's not morning time and settles herself back to sleep without shouting for me and crying. She has also always been an early riser (5am ish) I set the clock for 6 and she has slept through every night. Wish I had purchased this a long time ago! I will now be moving it forwards by 15 mins or so every couple of weeks. I also used a reward chart and stickers which I purchased from Amazon which I think is a big factor in the success as each morning she comes running in my bedroom shouting 'the clock is yellow I have won a sticker' great purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars More sleep for everyone!, 24 Aug. 2009
J. Boothman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I bought this a few weeks ago for my 3 year old son who kept getting up ridiculously early, whatever time he had gone to bed. As he has been growing out of daytime sleeps he was getting really tired and bad tempered in the day.
The price nearly put me off but the clock seemed a good design and I decided to give it a try over the holidays. It has worked perfectly. He has enjoyed setting it in the evenings (watching the sun close its eyes and change into the moon) and comes into our room at 7.30am with a beaming smile every morning telling us that the sun has come up. He has always had a night light in his bedroom and this doubles up as that, plus you can alter the brightness.
Setting it up initially was quite straightforward and if you unplug it to move it or to take away on holiday, it retains the settings. The fact that it can also be set to display digital time and has an audio alarm if required means that it will go on to be useful as he gets older.
In summary we are all getting more sleep and are a much happier household!

5.0 out of 5 stars This product is amazing. Although not an instant fix, 3 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
This product is amazing. Although not an instant fix, over a two week period we trained our 25 month old daughter to prolong her waking time from 5.10 to an unbelievable 6.45. She had previously been coming into bed with us in the mornings but since getting the clock we have finally convinced her that 5.10 is still sleepy time. We set it for 6am not wanting to push our luck but she has now slept way beyond this time for nearly a week. The increased sleep has also meant we have very few tears and tantrums in the day. I cannot recommend this product highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great childrens alarm clock, 31 May 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
Great clock. Setting can be bit tricky to start with but soon got hang of it. Dimmer is amazing as it can be very bright. Lovely story book too. We love this clock.

5.0 out of 5 stars It really works!, 22 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I bought this for my 3 year old son who thought the day should start at 5.30am. This was a wear on all of us including him as come 2/3pm he was shattered. Now we have the sleep trainer he knows that he must not come out of his bed until Mr Sunshine is up, it really works. Now he is in a routine of getting back to sleep until 7am, brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars This clock changed our lives!, 25 Feb. 2010
S. Morgan (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
We bought this clock in desperation. We have a 2 and a half year old and a 5 month old who is still waking at night for feeding. He was waking at 2am and 5am for feeds and then our toddler was getting up at 5.30am every morning. It was absolutely killing us.
I know some clocks existed so looked online and found the glo clock - and bought it because of the reviews. It honestly has changed our lives. Our little boy loves it. We sit and say goodnight to the sun and hello to the moon every night and he knows that he musn't get out of bed before the sun comes up. It took 3 days to work properly as it was a bit of a novelty etc - so you must be firm with them about staying in their bed. (When he got up we just put him straight back into bed and said not to call us until the sun came up - and made a huge fuss of him when he did it right)
The major bonus though- that we weren't expecting is bedtime. He used to go to bed and then potter around his bedroom and we'd have to go up a few times to settle him. But magically- he does not stir once that moon is up! I suppose in his head - he has to stay in bed until the sun goes up. So he in settling to sleep much sooner and getting much more sleep.
We started the sun up at 5.50 and are putting it forward 5 mins every week. We are now at 6.20 and he has been known to sleep through til 7. I think when he wakes at 5 he doesn't bother waking properly when he sees the moon and goes back to sleep. Whereas before he would wake at 5 and jump out of bed straight away.
Only downside is that you are restricted by having to plug it in where they can see it easily. Oh and the story isn't really suitable for 2 year olds. Totally over their heads. Keep it simple with moon means sleep and sun means up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, 4 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I bought this years ago for my 3 year old. Even at almost 5 she still uses it and doesn't get out of bed until the sun comes up.

4.0 out of 5 stars We get a longer lie-in now!, 3 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
We bought this for our 22 month old daughter who was waking up anything from 5.30am and calling out for us from the moment she woke. She loved the story book that came with it and got the concept immediately. It doesn't cause her to wake up any later but when I hear her wake and say something, it then goes quiet immediately afterwards and usually she doesn't call for us until the sun comes up. Sometimes she goes back to sleep and other times she's awake but just quiet (you can tell because she calls for us the second the sun comes up!) but either way it gives us and her some extra rest. If she does call for us before the set time on occasions, if we go in and tell her its night time and that she needs to lay down until the moon comes up then she does so quite happily. Before the clock if we told her its night time and left she'd cry if we left.

I looked into the other clocks before purchasing this one as it was the most expensive and it seemed like it had the best features and I haven't been disappointed. My only preference would be for the light on the clock to be slighter dimmer. Although it has a dimmed option, its still fairly bright and am a little concerned this will get my daughter used to night lights but for the extra sleep and rest its well worth it.

I would thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars We love this clock and book, 4 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
Go this recently for my 2-year old boy. He goes to sleep well but was starting to wake earlier each morning- even 3.30am!!
We got this clock and it is a huge success, was slightly scocked at the price but is worth paying for the extra sleep we now get.
He absolutley loves the book and even knows most of it off by heart!
Defo reccommend this.