1,862 Reviews
 (1,201)

1,637 of 1,653 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars To sleep, perchance to dream... THIS WORKS!
This product totally works, my son is only 22 mths old, but 5 days later it had completely changed his waking times from 4am to 6am! And 9 days in, he's now consistently waking up between 6.15 - 6.30am. Below is how I did it -

Published on 9 Nov 2010 by Phoz

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money
Published 1 month ago by JG

1,636 of 1,652 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars To sleep, perchance to dream... THIS WORKS!, 9 Nov 2010
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)

My 22 mth old son has always been a bit of a challenging sleeper, but recently it was just getting ridiculous. 4am starts told me that something needed to be done (not least of all because my husband was away, so I was doing all the early morning starts!) Anyway, I invested in a groclock after a friend recommended one. I have to say, I was a bit dubious, my son is only 22 mths old, and I wondered if he'd actually understand what was going on.

The first day I got it, we read the accompanying book a couple of times, then I spent 3 x 5min sessions with him running through the demo mode, so we saw the sun wink (bye bye Mr Sun!) and turn into the star (Night night! Sleeping time! - we pretended to go to sleep) then into the sun again (Morning Mr Sun! Get up! Get up! - we leapt up and danced around). We did this until it seemed like he understood what was going on. I ambitiously set the sun to come up at 6am, and waited to see how it would go.

Anyway, needless to say, day 1 he woke up at 4am, I went into his room, sat with him, and just kept saying, no, sleeping time, we need to wait until the sun gets up (I'd put some toys in his cot for him to play with, and I encouraged him to do so). After an hour of this, he was beginning to lose the plot, so I subtly changed the clock to the sun, and waited for him to notice. When he did, I made a HUGE fuss of him - yes, yes clever boy, it IS the sun. Let's get up!!

Day 2, woke up at 4.10am. This time I gave it a bit longer before I went in to sit in his room, then again encouraged him to read his books, play with his cars etc. I talked to him about having to wait for Mr Sun, and didn't stay in the whole time, went in, reassured, then went out. At no time did I get him out of his cot, I just encouraged him to wait for the sun.

Day 3, woke up at 5.40am. This time, because it was only 20 mins until he had to get up, I didn't go in at all, just talked to him from outside the door about having to wait for the sun.

Day 4, woke up at 4.55am. I was a bit discouraged, felt like we were going backwards, but this time I didn't go in, just called out to reassure him, and encourage him to play with his cars, read his books, and wait for the sun. Again, I constantly reassured him if he called out or cried, but I didn't go in.

Day 5, woke up at 5.45am, and played until the sun came up

Day 6, woke up AFTER THE SUN!! 6.01am!!

Day 7, woke up at 6.35am

Day 8, woke up at 6.16am (I then took the plunge and changed the wakeup time from 6.00am to 6.15am)

Day 9, woke up at 5.40am, but didn't cry, then put himself back to sleep until 6.20am. He has NEVER put himself back to sleep before.

My top tips for success are

1) Decide you really want to do this before you start. You'll need an iron will to keep going even when bubs is protesting.

2) Once you really decide you want to do it, do NOT get the child out of bed until 'Mr Sun' comes up. I found it was ok to go in and sit with them, encourage them to play in their bed / cot, reassure them etc. If the child really starts to lose it, I would press the button to bring on the sun for the first day, or the second at a real push, but try not to let them see you doing it, otherwise they'll associate you with the sun - and it's key they understand the sun comes out independently of Mummy or Daddy coming into their room! Similarly, try not to go in if you can possibly help it.

3) Set the wake up time as their regular wake up time for the first day, then move it by 15 mins each day until you get to your desired time. I didn't do this, and think it would probably have helped.

4) Think about what you do with your child when they wake up. I thought about it and realised that we were letting him watch telly (mainly because we were so wiped!!), but actually this was reinforcing the early waking, as he was leaping out of bed, so excited about watching Peppa Pig! By not allowing him to watch telly until I was preparing dinner, I removed this association. So now, it's a cup of milk and independent play until 7am, when he has breakfast.

5) Spend a bit of time each day for the first week running through the demo mode with very exaggerated actions and enthusiasm (e.g. loud snores for sleeping, big leaps for getting up). Make it fun. And do it until your child understands. Reinforce it whenever you're reading any book, most kids books have pictures of suns or stars somewhere in them - point at it, and say what is this? Child will say 'sun, stars' etc - say, yes, it's the sun, star - what does that mean? Child - wake up, sleep. You - yes, that's RIGHT. Clever boy/girl - when we see the SUN we WAKE UP!, when we see the STAR we SLEEP.

6) Be consistent - be consistent, be consistent. Don't do it unless you're going to see it through, as your child will absolutely test you to see if you're serious. So this is why it helps to set the wakeup time close to their actual wakeup time to begin with - it's much easier to reinforce if you don't have to deal with an hour of protesting to begin with!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase!!! Wish I had known about it earlier!, 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
My 3 year old has not woken us up in the middle of the night since we got it. (Had it about 2 months) If she wakes up now she knows it's not morning time and settles herself back to sleep without shouting for me and crying. She has also always been an early riser (5am ish) I set the clock for 6 and she has slept through every night. Wish I had purchased this a long time ago! I will now be moving it forwards by 15 mins or so every couple of weeks. I also used a reward chart and stickers which I purchased from Amazon which I think is a big factor in the success as each morning she comes running in my bedroom shouting 'the clock is yellow I have won a sticker' great purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars This clock changed our lives!, 25 Feb 2010
S. Morgan (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
We bought this clock in desperation. We have a 2 and a half year old and a 5 month old who is still waking at night for feeding. He was waking at 2am and 5am for feeds and then our toddler was getting up at 5.30am every morning. It was absolutely killing us.
I know some clocks existed so looked online and found the glo clock - and bought it because of the reviews. It honestly has changed our lives. Our little boy loves it. We sit and say goodnight to the sun and hello to the moon every night and he knows that he musn't get out of bed before the sun comes up. It took 3 days to work properly as it was a bit of a novelty etc - so you must be firm with them about staying in their bed. (When he got up we just put him straight back into bed and said not to call us until the sun came up - and made a huge fuss of him when he did it right)
The major bonus though- that we weren't expecting is bedtime. He used to go to bed and then potter around his bedroom and we'd have to go up a few times to settle him. But magically- he does not stir once that moon is up! I suppose in his head - he has to stay in bed until the sun goes up. So he in settling to sleep much sooner and getting much more sleep.
We started the sun up at 5.50 and are putting it forward 5 mins every week. We are now at 6.20 and he has been known to sleep through til 7. I think when he wakes at 5 he doesn't bother waking properly when he sees the moon and goes back to sleep. Whereas before he would wake at 5 and jump out of bed straight away.
Only downside is that you are restricted by having to plug it in where they can see it easily. Oh and the story isn't really suitable for 2 year olds. Totally over their heads. Keep it simple with moon means sleep and sun means up.

5.0 out of 5 stars More sleep for everyone!, 24 Aug 2009
J. Boothman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I bought this a few weeks ago for my 3 year old son who kept getting up ridiculously early, whatever time he had gone to bed. As he has been growing out of daytime sleeps he was getting really tired and bad tempered in the day.
The price nearly put me off but the clock seemed a good design and I decided to give it a try over the holidays. It has worked perfectly. He has enjoyed setting it in the evenings (watching the sun close its eyes and change into the moon) and comes into our room at 7.30am with a beaming smile every morning telling us that the sun has come up. He has always had a night light in his bedroom and this doubles up as that, plus you can alter the brightness.
Setting it up initially was quite straightforward and if you unplug it to move it or to take away on holiday, it retains the settings. The fact that it can also be set to display digital time and has an audio alarm if required means that it will go on to be useful as he gets older.
In summary we are all getting more sleep and are a much happier household!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great accompanyment for a big bed., 26 Oct 2009
R. Cousins "Marma" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
We bought the Gro-clock sleep trainer at the same time as we bought our 2 1/2 year olds big bed. It has been a huge success!! The instructions are clear and simple. The first night we used it we introduced it with the book, which he loved! It took two mornings before he stayed in bed until the sun came up and now he he does it all of his own accord.
At the weekend we set it a little later and tell him that when there is only one star left he can put his lights on and play with his toys in his room. Then we hear the pitter patter of very excited little feet with a very proud announcement that 'the sun is up, it's wakey up time!' Best wake up call ever! It never fails to bring a smile to our faces. He proudly drags us out of bed to see.
Our little boy loves saying goodnight to the sun each night and gets cross if I need to wake him beofre the sun has come up! The good things about this clock are that it won't wake him if he is asleep as it makes NO sound at all when the sun rises. The sun stays on for maybe an hour after so they can stil see it when they wake. It does need to be out of arms reach though as one of the first mornings he declared the sun had come up, only to tell us very proudly that he had pressed the buttons!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best toddler buy ever!!, 17 Jan 2010
Mrs. Joanne Carter (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
When our daughter started rising before dawn, I wondered if there was anything on the market to help us explain that it wasn't time to get up yet. My first purchase was the rabbit clock. However, I returned that after about a week because when it "woke up" it clicked rather loudly, so there was never any chance of an extra lie-in. Also, you couldn't set it for more than about 11 hours ahead - and we wanted our daughter to sleep for 12 hours. It also appears to be "cheap and nasty" and I reckon would easily break with a boystrous toddler. We replaced it with the Gro-Clock - it silently changes from night time moon to daytime sunshine - so sometimes we have a bonus lie-in. You can also set the 24 hour clock to the appropriate waking up time. It also has a separate setting for the daytime nap if required. It comes with a book which helps explain to our 2 year old how it works. She got it straight away and since getting the clock we're woken most mornings at 7 with "Mummy, the sun's come out, wakey time!!" The Gro-Clock isn't the cheapest on the market but I reckon it is good value. It is really well made and I reckon would withstand being manhandled by most toddlers. You can lock the buttons so that the child can't tamper with the settings. A great purchase - the extra lie-in's are worth their weight in gold.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 11 Sep 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
So disappointed with this clock. We were sure our daughter would respond well to sleep training and had prepared her for having her own clock. She was really excited when the first clock arrived but it didn't work at all so we asked for a replacement. The second clock switched on but the night time stars screen went out during the night and the sun didn't appear in the morning. We checked the settings and it should have worked. Can't be bothered to try a third clock and go through the explanation process again, in case that one doesn't work either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comes Highly Recommended, 27 Feb 2010
Mr. G. Cook - See all my reviews
Before the Gro-Clock
We bought this for our 3 year son who was waking up anything between 3 to 4 times a night calling out for us trying to get into our bed, due to lack of sleep he suceeded most nights.

After we purchased the gro-clock
After fulling explaining the concept to my son for the past week and from the very first night(since we have started using the clock) he has still woken up during the night but it has reduced from 4 times to just the once if that now. The main difference being that when he does wake up he still stayes in his room and falls back asleep straight away and generally will stay asleep well after the sun has appeared. When he does wake up in the night he doesn't leave his bedroom which is amazing, if we go in and tell him its night time and that he needs to sleep until the sun appears he does with no problem. Before the clock he would wake up and come straight in to our room desparate to climb in our bed.

Ps: Another good thing to say is that you can reduce the light on the clock, as my son has never slept with a light in his room, becuase of this we also turn the clock away from him and this still works for us.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 27 Feb 2010
L. Connolly (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
After 3 months of early wakings between 5-530am by my 2 1/2 yr old who has always been a good sleeper, I was desperate. I was a little sceptical about sleep trainers as there are a few choices on the market, however I chose the Gro-Clock on the reviews I'd read and it doesnt disappoint.
My son absolutely loves his new clock, the book that goes with the clock is wonderful and my son loves the rhymes and the farm animals. At bedtime we set the clock together and he says 'goodbye sun,hello moon'. The stars which fade away are an excellent visual aid to show the passing of time, this helps my son understand the concept of staying in bed until the final star disappears and the sun comes up.
I believe the clock worked straight away as I initally set it for the time my son was waking and I gradually moved the time forward by 5 minutes and now I get a wake up call without fail at 7am 'mummy its morning time!'
One caution, I tried to be too optimistic one weekend and moved the alarm time forward too much which didnt work as my son kept telling me the clock was broken! So I would advise moving the alarm time forward gradually.
Wonderful product!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for early risers., 31 Aug 2009
J. Burfoot (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
Great product, very clever. The story that comes with the clock helps the child understand the difference between night and day. The sun sets in the story and my son loves pressing the button to make the sun on the clock do the same.
There is no sound on the alarm so if your child is asleep when the sun rises you could get a lay in!
My son is 20 months and i think he is still a little young for it to be totally affective, he is now up at 5.30am instead of 4.30am.
2 years + you might progress a little quicker.

Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer