1,990 Reviews
 (1,282)

1,721 of 1,740 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars To sleep, perchance to dream... THIS WORKS!
This product totally works, my son is only 22 mths old, but 5 days later it had completely changed his waking times from 4am to 6am! And 9 days in, he's now consistently waking up between 6.15 - 6.30am. Below is how I did it -

Published on 9 Nov 2010 by Phoz

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I thought!!! After reading all ...
Not what I thought !!! After reading all the positive reviews I thought I'd buy for my 3 yr old who gets up every night & ends up in our bed. I sent the 1st one back as I really couldn't set the alarm times & after finally working it out, it still wouldn't turn off at bedtime or on at wake up time. My 3 yr old decided to have a Play with the buttons too & kept changing...
Published 4 months ago by kate scott

1,721 of 1,740 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars To sleep, perchance to dream... THIS WORKS!, 9 Nov 2010
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)

My 22 mth old son has always been a bit of a challenging sleeper, but recently it was just getting ridiculous. 4am starts told me that something needed to be done (not least of all because my husband was away, so I was doing all the early morning starts!) Anyway, I invested in a groclock after a friend recommended one. I have to say, I was a bit dubious, my son is only 22 mths old, and I wondered if he'd actually understand what was going on.

The first day I got it, we read the accompanying book a couple of times, then I spent 3 x 5min sessions with him running through the demo mode, so we saw the sun wink (bye bye Mr Sun!) and turn into the star (Night night! Sleeping time! - we pretended to go to sleep) then into the sun again (Morning Mr Sun! Get up! Get up! - we leapt up and danced around). We did this until it seemed like he understood what was going on. I ambitiously set the sun to come up at 6am, and waited to see how it would go.

Anyway, needless to say, day 1 he woke up at 4am, I went into his room, sat with him, and just kept saying, no, sleeping time, we need to wait until the sun gets up (I'd put some toys in his cot for him to play with, and I encouraged him to do so). After an hour of this, he was beginning to lose the plot, so I subtly changed the clock to the sun, and waited for him to notice. When he did, I made a HUGE fuss of him - yes, yes clever boy, it IS the sun. Let's get up!!

Day 2, woke up at 4.10am. This time I gave it a bit longer before I went in to sit in his room, then again encouraged him to read his books, play with his cars etc. I talked to him about having to wait for Mr Sun, and didn't stay in the whole time, went in, reassured, then went out. At no time did I get him out of his cot, I just encouraged him to wait for the sun.

Day 3, woke up at 5.40am. This time, because it was only 20 mins until he had to get up, I didn't go in at all, just talked to him from outside the door about having to wait for the sun.

Day 4, woke up at 4.55am. I was a bit discouraged, felt like we were going backwards, but this time I didn't go in, just called out to reassure him, and encourage him to play with his cars, read his books, and wait for the sun. Again, I constantly reassured him if he called out or cried, but I didn't go in.

Day 5, woke up at 5.45am, and played until the sun came up

Day 6, woke up AFTER THE SUN!! 6.01am!!

Day 7, woke up at 6.35am

Day 8, woke up at 6.16am (I then took the plunge and changed the wakeup time from 6.00am to 6.15am)

Day 9, woke up at 5.40am, but didn't cry, then put himself back to sleep until 6.20am. He has NEVER put himself back to sleep before.

My top tips for success are

1) Decide you really want to do this before you start. You'll need an iron will to keep going even when bubs is protesting.

2) Once you really decide you want to do it, do NOT get the child out of bed until 'Mr Sun' comes up. I found it was ok to go in and sit with them, encourage them to play in their bed / cot, reassure them etc. If the child really starts to lose it, I would press the button to bring on the sun for the first day, or the second at a real push, but try not to let them see you doing it, otherwise they'll associate you with the sun - and it's key they understand the sun comes out independently of Mummy or Daddy coming into their room! Similarly, try not to go in if you can possibly help it.

3) Set the wake up time as their regular wake up time for the first day, then move it by 15 mins each day until you get to your desired time. I didn't do this, and think it would probably have helped.

4) Think about what you do with your child when they wake up. I thought about it and realised that we were letting him watch telly (mainly because we were so wiped!!), but actually this was reinforcing the early waking, as he was leaping out of bed, so excited about watching Peppa Pig! By not allowing him to watch telly until I was preparing dinner, I removed this association. So now, it's a cup of milk and independent play until 7am, when he has breakfast.

5) Spend a bit of time each day for the first week running through the demo mode with very exaggerated actions and enthusiasm (e.g. loud snores for sleeping, big leaps for getting up). Make it fun. And do it until your child understands. Reinforce it whenever you're reading any book, most kids books have pictures of suns or stars somewhere in them - point at it, and say what is this? Child will say 'sun, stars' etc - say, yes, it's the sun, star - what does that mean? Child - wake up, sleep. You - yes, that's RIGHT. Clever boy/girl - when we see the SUN we WAKE UP!, when we see the STAR we SLEEP.

6) Be consistent - be consistent, be consistent. Don't do it unless you're going to see it through, as your child will absolutely test you to see if you're serious. So this is why it helps to set the wakeup time close to their actual wakeup time to begin with - it's much easier to reinforce if you don't have to deal with an hour of protesting to begin with!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for early risers., 31 Aug 2009
JAB (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
Great product, very clever. The story that comes with the clock helps the child understand the difference between night and day. The sun sets in the story and my son loves pressing the button to make the sun on the clock do the same.
There is no sound on the alarm so if your child is asleep when the sun rises you could get a lay in!
My son is 20 months and i think he is still a little young for it to be totally affective, he is now up at 5.30am instead of 4.30am.
2 years + you might progress a little quicker.

5.0 out of 5 stars This product is amazing. Although not an instant fix, 3 Nov 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
This product is amazing. Although not an instant fix, over a two week period we trained our 25 month old daughter to prolong her waking time from 5.10 to an unbelievable 6.45. She had previously been coming into bed with us in the mornings but since getting the clock we have finally convinced her that 5.10 is still sleepy time. We set it for 6am not wanting to push our luck but she has now slept way beyond this time for nearly a week. The increased sleep has also meant we have very few tears and tantrums in the day. I cannot recommend this product highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase!!! Wish I had known about it earlier!, 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
My 3 year old has not woken us up in the middle of the night since we got it. (Had it about 2 months) If she wakes up now she knows it's not morning time and settles herself back to sleep without shouting for me and crying. She has also always been an early riser (5am ish) I set the clock for 6 and she has slept through every night. Wish I had purchased this a long time ago! I will now be moving it forwards by 15 mins or so every couple of weeks. I also used a reward chart and stickers which I purchased from Amazon which I think is a big factor in the success as each morning she comes running in my bedroom shouting 'the clock is yellow I have won a sticker' great purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars More sleep for everyone!, 24 Aug 2009
J. Boothman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I bought this a few weeks ago for my 3 year old son who kept getting up ridiculously early, whatever time he had gone to bed. As he has been growing out of daytime sleeps he was getting really tired and bad tempered in the day.
The price nearly put me off but the clock seemed a good design and I decided to give it a try over the holidays. It has worked perfectly. He has enjoyed setting it in the evenings (watching the sun close its eyes and change into the moon) and comes into our room at 7.30am with a beaming smile every morning telling us that the sun has come up. He has always had a night light in his bedroom and this doubles up as that, plus you can alter the brightness.
Setting it up initially was quite straightforward and if you unplug it to move it or to take away on holiday, it retains the settings. The fact that it can also be set to display digital time and has an audio alarm if required means that it will go on to be useful as he gets older.
In summary we are all getting more sleep and are a much happier household!

5.0 out of 5 stars Comes Highly Recommended, 27 Feb 2010
Mr. G. Cook - See all my reviews
Before the Gro-Clock
We bought this for our 3 year son who was waking up anything between 3 to 4 times a night calling out for us trying to get into our bed, due to lack of sleep he suceeded most nights.

After we purchased the gro-clock
After fulling explaining the concept to my son for the past week and from the very first night(since we have started using the clock) he has still woken up during the night but it has reduced from 4 times to just the once if that now. The main difference being that when he does wake up he still stayes in his room and falls back asleep straight away and generally will stay asleep well after the sun has appeared. When he does wake up in the night he doesn't leave his bedroom which is amazing, if we go in and tell him its night time and that he needs to sleep until the sun appears he does with no problem. Before the clock he would wake up and come straight in to our room desparate to climb in our bed.

Ps: Another good thing to say is that you can reduce the light on the clock, as my son has never slept with a light in his room, becuase of this we also turn the clock away from him and this still works for us.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING IF YOU PERSEVERE! LEARN HOW!, 15 Feb 2010
H. V. Waters (Bridgend, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
We bought this for our 2 1/2 Year Girl shortly sfter our second baby was born. She was waking sometimes before baby around 6.00am and waking baby or vice versa. The clock was talked about by us for days before - using my knowledge from teaching young children and child psychology. The fact that big girls and boys have clocks was hammed up along with lots of talk about the sun and moon, and morning and night.

She was allowed to set up the clock with us and we read the book which came with it. She was then given the VERY important job of waking up mummy and daddy and her baby brother. She was told she could have biscuits and pink milk if she waited until the sun came up. (We set it for 6.50am. She goes to bed at 7pm) She was told she musn't call to mummy and daddy or cry/ shout etc until she saw the sun because it would still be night. Then she was told she must shout out Mr Sun when he came on. The first morning she woke before and called out as usual. We went in and showed her the clock again and reminded her what a shame it was. She had called when it was the moon - she had to wait for the sun etc. We then stuck to our guns that day. No treats and lots of talk of how she should wait for the sun on her clock. The next day we heard her wake without a sound just rustling and she lay there and waited for the sun. Then she shrieked with joy when the sun came. We then praised to the max and she was allowed to wake up her brother too with a 'good morning, Mr Sun is here' greeting.

Since then it has worked every night apart from one or two mornings early on. When it happened we stuck to our guns and put her back into bed calmly and told her to wait for the sun. She loves it. We are constantly telling her what an important job she does for us. I have friends who I know simply have not stuck to their guns with this early on. It is a wonderful tool. She previously had no night light at all so I cannot agree with the reviews that say the light is too bright - it isn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money!!, 19 Feb 2010
Mrs. Victoria Haigh (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
We brought this clock for our 2 year old after months of debateing if it was worth the money and it is worth every penny! We did not have a problem with our daughter wakeing up early wich is not a problem as i wake at 5am anyway! but with her sneeking into bed with us during the night, this could happen 4 times a night with us keep taking her back into her bed. we read her the story and explained that she should stay in bed until she sees mr sun and that was it! first night and everynight since she stays in bed and she loves the clock! and we can easily get her to stay in bed until 7am or later. if you are thinking should we try it, is it worth the money??? YES GET IT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Should have used it sooner, 2 Nov 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
This 'investment' had finally come into its own, having spent months on the shelf with no power connected! Our two and a half year old twins kept waking up at unpalatable times and no matter, what we couldn't get them to stay in their beds/room (they share at present). Now we have at last put it into operation, they at least understand the concept of 'stars out' and 'sun's up' - even if they don't respect the time as the point at which you wake! They do stay in bed however, chatting to each other and give us the luxury of a few more precious minutes of slumber. Wish we had put it into operation sooner, but that was down to my cynicism - but it does work!

5.0 out of 5 stars This really works!, 2 Dec 2014
Mrs W (South West) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
We bought this for our two year old who couldn't tell the difference between 3pm and 3am, I was dubious that this would do the trick but ready to give anything a go as our daughter was consistently getting up in the middle of the night thinking it was play time.

The clock itself is sturdy and robust and its very convenient that you are able to set a nap time wake up as well as a bed time wake up which will automatically cause the sun to 'rise' on the clock at the set time. we 'put the sun to bed' at bed time and the clock then shows stars which count down until its time to wake up - it is, however, not possible to automatically set the bedtime, you have to do it manually

I was very surprised at how easily our daughter grasped the concept of this clock and I think its success really lies in its simplicity. If your child can comprehend the fact that stars mean sleepy time and the sun is waking time, then this product may well work for you.

I also like that the clock comes with a little story to explain how it works in toddler terms, plus the sun and stars on the clock are really appealing to young children. This clock has saved our sanity and our toddler happily waits until the sun is up on her clock now before getting out of bed - worth every penny!

Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer