1,900 of 1,928 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars To sleep, perchance to dream... THIS WORKS!
This product totally works, my son is only 22 mths old, but 5 days later it had completely changed his waking times from 4am to 6am! And 9 days in, he's now consistently waking up between 6.15 - 6.30am. Below is how I did it -

Published on 9 Nov. 2010 by Phoz

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice little addition to a childs bedroom.
We decided to buy this little sleep trainer for our daughter's room. We haven't gotten the extra sleep we had hoped for just yet (2 weeks on) but we haven't given up hope just yet.

Published on 20 Jun. 2012 by poldebruin

1,900 of 1,928 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars To sleep, perchance to dream... THIS WORKS!, 9 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)

My 22 mth old son has always been a bit of a challenging sleeper, but recently it was just getting ridiculous. 4am starts told me that something needed to be done (not least of all because my husband was away, so I was doing all the early morning starts!) Anyway, I invested in a groclock after a friend recommended one. I have to say, I was a bit dubious, my son is only 22 mths old, and I wondered if he'd actually understand what was going on.

The first day I got it, we read the accompanying book a couple of times, then I spent 3 x 5min sessions with him running through the demo mode, so we saw the sun wink (bye bye Mr Sun!) and turn into the star (Night night! Sleeping time! - we pretended to go to sleep) then into the sun again (Morning Mr Sun! Get up! Get up! - we leapt up and danced around). We did this until it seemed like he understood what was going on. I ambitiously set the sun to come up at 6am, and waited to see how it would go.

Anyway, needless to say, day 1 he woke up at 4am, I went into his room, sat with him, and just kept saying, no, sleeping time, we need to wait until the sun gets up (I'd put some toys in his cot for him to play with, and I encouraged him to do so). After an hour of this, he was beginning to lose the plot, so I subtly changed the clock to the sun, and waited for him to notice. When he did, I made a HUGE fuss of him - yes, yes clever boy, it IS the sun. Let's get up!!

Day 2, woke up at 4.10am. This time I gave it a bit longer before I went in to sit in his room, then again encouraged him to read his books, play with his cars etc. I talked to him about having to wait for Mr Sun, and didn't stay in the whole time, went in, reassured, then went out. At no time did I get him out of his cot, I just encouraged him to wait for the sun.

Day 3, woke up at 5.40am. This time, because it was only 20 mins until he had to get up, I didn't go in at all, just talked to him from outside the door about having to wait for the sun.

Day 4, woke up at 4.55am. I was a bit discouraged, felt like we were going backwards, but this time I didn't go in, just called out to reassure him, and encourage him to play with his cars, read his books, and wait for the sun. Again, I constantly reassured him if he called out or cried, but I didn't go in.

Day 5, woke up at 5.45am, and played until the sun came up

Day 6, woke up AFTER THE SUN!! 6.01am!!

Day 7, woke up at 6.35am

Day 8, woke up at 6.16am (I then took the plunge and changed the wakeup time from 6.00am to 6.15am)

Day 9, woke up at 5.40am, but didn't cry, then put himself back to sleep until 6.20am. He has NEVER put himself back to sleep before.

My top tips for success are

1) Decide you really want to do this before you start. You'll need an iron will to keep going even when bubs is protesting.

2) Once you really decide you want to do it, do NOT get the child out of bed until 'Mr Sun' comes up. I found it was ok to go in and sit with them, encourage them to play in their bed / cot, reassure them etc. If the child really starts to lose it, I would press the button to bring on the sun for the first day, or the second at a real push, but try not to let them see you doing it, otherwise they'll associate you with the sun - and it's key they understand the sun comes out independently of Mummy or Daddy coming into their room! Similarly, try not to go in if you can possibly help it.

3) Set the wake up time as their regular wake up time for the first day, then move it by 15 mins each day until you get to your desired time. I didn't do this, and think it would probably have helped.

4) Think about what you do with your child when they wake up. I thought about it and realised that we were letting him watch telly (mainly because we were so wiped!!), but actually this was reinforcing the early waking, as he was leaping out of bed, so excited about watching Peppa Pig! By not allowing him to watch telly until I was preparing dinner, I removed this association. So now, it's a cup of milk and independent play until 7am, when he has breakfast.

5) Spend a bit of time each day for the first week running through the demo mode with very exaggerated actions and enthusiasm (e.g. loud snores for sleeping, big leaps for getting up). Make it fun. And do it until your child understands. Reinforce it whenever you're reading any book, most kids books have pictures of suns or stars somewhere in them - point at it, and say what is this? Child will say 'sun, stars' etc - say, yes, it's the sun, star - what does that mean? Child - wake up, sleep. You - yes, that's RIGHT. Clever boy/girl - when we see the SUN we WAKE UP!, when we see the STAR we SLEEP.

6) Be consistent - be consistent, be consistent. Don't do it unless you're going to see it through, as your child will absolutely test you to see if you're serious. So this is why it helps to set the wakeup time close to their actual wakeup time to begin with - it's much easier to reinforce if you don't have to deal with an hour of protesting to begin with!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of humankind's greatest achievements., 2 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
Every once in a while the human race manages to discover or invent something that changes the future forever. From the caveman's discovery of fire, through the invention of the wheel, and more recently the invention of the silicon chip, lives were changed for the better and the generations that followed flowered in the wake of greatness. The Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer is one such landmark advancement. This seemingly simple device took just two weeks to train my 23 month old twins to stay in bed and not wake Daddy up at 5am every day. They now happily lay in bed, chatting, playing peekaboo and waiting for the sunshine to show up. For the last week, I've not had to get up before 7.15am. Yep, seven fifteen. This is the best thing I have ever bought. And for £20 too! If I'd known what a difference this would make to my life I would happily have paid ten times that. When my kids have grown up and no longer need this clock, I'm going to build a shrine around it and give thanks to it every day.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice little addition to a childs bedroom., 20 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)

The clock itself is of reasonable build quality. The screen of the clock is slightly hard to read on very sunny days even at full brightness. We found we had to turn the brightness of the unit down as it far too bright to use as a nightlight in the evening. You also find yourself having to point the clock away form the childs bed, and this defeats the purpose of the clock somewhat.

The controls for programming the clock are fiddly and ~I would advise you to set the clock up away from the intended target (unlike me where she demanded to know where the stars and sun were, which, no doubt hampered my attempts to decypher the manual)

you set the time you want the "Sun" to come up in the morning, and that's pretty much it. The clock itself comes with a book - sleepytime farm, that you can read, which explains why a pig on the farm is too grumpy - he gets up too early. The other animals get him Gro-clock, which my daughter loved. Once the story is complete, you press a button on the clock and the "sun" winks at you and changes into a "star" whicle the accompanying light turns from yellow to blue. Stars around the outside count down to "sunrise" - possibly so slightly older children can tell roughly what the time is if they wake up in the middle of the night.

The problem for us is that sometimes my daughter happily stays in bed until 0900, sometimes she wakes at 0700. So when I set the clock for 0800 we gain anhour some morning and lose one others!

Another disappointment for me was that the Sun does not stay onscreen throughout the day - it times out after about an hour (maybe) and reverts to a completely grey screen with a black digital clock that is unreadable. My daughter constantly wanted to know where the sun was if we returned to the bedroom.

The last feature on the clock was the naptime. This too could easily have been a good feature. The idea should have been straightforward, but it's pretty much useless for me. You can set the sun to "come out" at anothe rtime during the afternoon, but unless you have a very regular daytime naptime for your child, who knows what time they will go down at (if at all) and for how long? A better option would have been a "snooze" like feature where you could press a button to set the nap time in 30 minute increments - nice and quick and does not rely on a set specific time every day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Took a while but it does work!, 17 May 2012
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
We read some good reviews on this clock so decided to give it a try as our just turned 2 year old had been getting out of bed since moving into a big bed, purely because she could get out. The early rising had re-set her body clock and asking her to stay in bed until it gets light does not work in the summer months!
We set it up, read the book which is a good idea and she understood that she should stay in bed until the 'sun' came out.
Before going to bed we let her push to button and say goodbye to 'Mr Sunshine' and watch the stars come out, this has become her kind of trigger that it really is bedtime.
However it has taken her 6 weeks to stop getting out of bed, not because she didn't understand, just because she wanted to get out of bed. When she came into our room I would ask her if 'Mr Sunshine' was up, she would reply 'Noooooo' and grin!!!! So put her back to bed, and so on for the last 6 weeks. Finally last night she stayed put until the sun came up. She called out "Mr Sunshine! Time to get up Mummy!"
So yes I agree it does work, you just need to your child to comply with the rules!

I think this clock will be invaluable during the summer months, when young children that cannot tell the time may be tempted to get out of bed as soon as it's light.
It will last beyond toddler years as well as it becomes a proper alarm clock when required.
If you don't want too much light in your child's room you need to turn the brightness right down to the lowest setting.
I would recommend this clock for young children as long as they can comprehend the concept of stars mean sleep and sun means time to get up.

5.0 out of 5 stars More sleep for everyone!, 24 Aug. 2009
J. Boothman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I bought this a few weeks ago for my 3 year old son who kept getting up ridiculously early, whatever time he had gone to bed. As he has been growing out of daytime sleeps he was getting really tired and bad tempered in the day.
The price nearly put me off but the clock seemed a good design and I decided to give it a try over the holidays. It has worked perfectly. He has enjoyed setting it in the evenings (watching the sun close its eyes and change into the moon) and comes into our room at 7.30am with a beaming smile every morning telling us that the sun has come up. He has always had a night light in his bedroom and this doubles up as that, plus you can alter the brightness.
Setting it up initially was quite straightforward and if you unplug it to move it or to take away on holiday, it retains the settings. The fact that it can also be set to display digital time and has an audio alarm if required means that it will go on to be useful as he gets older.
In summary we are all getting more sleep and are a much happier household!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but not a quick fix!!, 7 Mar. 2012
S Atkinson (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I bought his clock after my 18mth old son had been waking up at around 5am for the last 6mths following our holiday in USA. My husband and I were at the end of our tether, for us anything before 6am is still the middle of the night!!!
I was worried that our son was too young to understand the concept of morning & night but he has really taken to it!! We read him the little story that came with the clock every night and really exaggerate the difference between the two (loud snoring noises for night & jumping/dancing for day).
It is important that the child is taught that they can't come out of their bed before the 'sun' comes up. If you get the child out of bed when it's still 'night-time' they will become confused and it won't work.
We have been using th clock for a month now and our son now sleeps until 6.15am every mornng, we're aiming for 7am eventually. That is why this isn't a miracle cure, you can't just plug it in & expect your child to sleep until noon!!
There are a few negatives with the clock itself:
1) in a dark room the light is quite bright even on its lowest setting
2) the clock seems to be a bit slow, we have had to reset the time a few times
3) it has no battery back up so if your crafty little toddler unplugs it you have reset the time & batteries would make I much easier to travel with!
This clock really does work but you have to be committed to making it work, my top tips would be:
Apart from on the first day or so do not go ino the child's room unless 'mr sun' has come up - they need to learn that mummy is asleep until the sun comes up too!!!
Stay strong- your little one will test you to the limit with this & it can be difficult to her them screaming but persevere and you WILL get there!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing clock and sleep aid, 18 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
What can I say - the Gro Clock is amazing! It shows stars when it's time to sleep, and sunshine when it's time to get up - a really simple, but effective idea. I love it, and so does my daughter, it's really helped her understand when it's time to get up and she now shouts me and says "it's morning mummy, the sunshine's up!" Really good product, highly recommended for anyone who has had a few sleepless nights with their little ones!! Especially if you're at the stage where you'll try anything just to get some sleep.

I brought this product to stop my 3 1/2 year old keep shouting in the night for either me or her Dad. I couldn't get to the bottom of why, but had a hunch it was because she didn't know when it was morning (as in the winter it's dark when she goes to bed, and dark when she gets up!). I tried giving her an ordinary digital clock, but found this didn't work as she obviously can't really tell the time yet, can only read the numbers. This is where the Gro-clock comes in and makes so much difference. You can set two sets of time on the clock, then set it with numerous settings, but we love the one that shows all the stars and the digital clock. The stars "count down" the night proportionately from when it's set to when it's time to wake up.

It's suitable for daytime naps as well as night-time sleeps - we don't use the daytime naps as she doesn't sleep in the day anymore, but it's a useful setting for weekend lie ins!!!!

One tip though - take care to ensure when you set the clock you have it on the right setting. The first night we set it we had it on the daytime , rather than nightime (easy done, it's just an extra tap of a button). As we hadn't set the daytime time, it was still at the daytime default of midnight...........not so popular when the sunshine comes up at midnight!! However, this was operator error, and now both times on our clock are set to the same time just in case!!! Our daughter loves setting the clock herself (it is that simple), and she loves the stars and sunshine. It gives out a great nightlight too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Work in progress, 10 Jan. 2012
T. O'Neill (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
We bought this about 2 months ago for our 18 month old boy who is an early riser (sleep by 7:30pm and awake anything after 5am is a success, so not too bad really, but 6am is a bit of a mental horizon we want to cross).

Anyway we have not really had success yet with the GroClock, but we think we're getting there. You can dim the moon/night time (blue) mode on a scale of 0 to 10. Even on 1 it is too bright and that was waking up our boy during the night. So that's a real fail I think and why they don't have even dimmer settings I don't know. I mean I challenge anyone to have it on anything brighter than 2 or 3 without them wanting a rather bright night-light. But thankfully there is a '0' setting so we have now set it at this which basically means it just turns on the sun (yellow) at the designated time (6am for us) and the 'clock' amounts to not much more than a light on a timer but hey for £20 that's fine and hopefully as our son gets older we'll be able to use the moon/night time (blue) mode and get him past 6am. Also be aware there is no dimmer setting for the sun, it just comes on full tilt at the designated time.

We haven't bothered with the story book and have simplified things to 'up when yellow' (he's only 18 month after all) and he seems to make it to 5:30am ish now but of course he has no sense of time and no sense of how far away 'yellow' is so it's a bit of a struggle. Hopefully though soon he'll join the dots. And basically we're just hoping that by the time he moves up to a bed (in the next 6 months or so) we'll be able to leave the moon/night time (blue) mode on and he'll play quietly until the sun (yellow) gets up and then start hollering :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent clock, some parent effort required!, 29 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
We bought this clock for our 3 1/2 year old who would constantly wake up between 6am-7am and rush in to our room demanding breakfast. The clock was an instant hit and she loved the story that came with it. She understood the concept of the sun going to bed and waking up and we emphasised that she was not to come in to our room until the sun had come up. We set the clock the first night with great hopes. 6am the next morning, she was in our room complaining that she wanted to get up and she wasn't tired. aaaarrrgh. Resisting the temptation to send back the clock, or throw it out the window or something equally as drastic, we set it the next night and explained again that she wasn't to come in until the sun came up. 6.45am she was in our room. The next morning 7.15am, but it was a fluke, as she had actually slept that long herself and had not even glanced at the clock!

5 nights in, we decided that a little more effort was required. I sat with her before bed and we thought of three things she could do when she woke up. We placed some special books at the end of her bed which she could read... we erected her favourite tent in her room which she could play in, and we got out some of her toys and put them in the tent. I got a little step from the bathroom and put it by the lightswitch so that she could climb up and put the light on herself. I made her a special jungle book sticker chart and bought special stickers that she could put on herself if she waited for the sun. And there was the box of chocolate buttons on her chest of drawers as an extra reward. Pheeewwww!

The next morning - bingo. 7.01am she came running into our room saying the sun had come up and she had been in her room playing. Hooray! The next morning, the same. We have had a few glitches, when an extra effort is required with the rewards etc, and we generally find that if she wakes up with more than 1 hour (or one star) to go, she is not usually able to wait that long on her own. But I would say that 9 mornings out of 10 we have success with the clock which is an AMAZING achievement. The only reason I have given the clock 4 stars, is that I feel my husband and I deserve at least one star for the effort we put in ourselves! A great clock and a great investment, just bear in mind that you might have to put in a little work yourselves to take full advantage of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Best Amazon Purchase, 24 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
We have bought alot of products from Amazon for our baby. But I have to say that this is the without a doubt, our best purchase. BUT, we bought it a bit too early, when he was only two years old which was before our baby knew his colors. At first, he simply did not get the idea that he had to wait for the yellow sun, because he did not now what yellow was. He was frustrated, we were frustrated and we put the clock away. A few months later, when he learned his colors, we tried the clock again. This time it was a BIG success. Every night, he would say bye bye to the Sun. He loved to see the star come out. Then every morning, he yells "YELLOW SUN!" and we rush to him. That is our deal. He waits patiently for the yellow sun. When he yells "YELLOW SUN" we rush to him with lots of hugs and kisses. It really works. Sometimes we hear him moving around. We know he is awake and waiting for the sun. And then he calls us. We love hearing him in the morning. It sounds something like "Wewow Shun" and we always are there in seconds. What a fun idea. We love it. He loves it. And everyone sleeps better.

I have read some of the negative reviews, with people commenting that the light is bright (It is not too bright for us. But we have always used a night light so we can go in and look at him from time to time. The light from the clock does not make the room brighter than the night light alone), it is difficult to set up (it was a bit challenging to get used to at first, like many digital clocks today. But when you do it every night, you get used to it). That it is not baby friendly and your baby will keep resetting the time (that depends on your baby. We asked our guy not to play with it. He doesn't play with it so it is not a problem. If your kid is likely to play with it, you have to put it up out of their reach where they can still see it. Problem solved). That your baby will come in and tell you the status of the clock (our guy still sleeps in a baby cot)

Frankly, this is a very well made clock. You can set it to two times, for example if you wake up early during the week and wake up late during the weekend. Or one time for the nap and one time for the morning. The animation is fun and idea is very baby friendly. If it does not work for you it is probably not the clock. It may just be that, like with us, your kid is not ready for it. If your baby does not know his colors or your baby can not be taught easily, then this may not be the right product for you. But if your kid knows the difference between yellow and blue and if you can teach your kid, and if you play the game that when they call "Yellow Sun", that you promptly arrive and give them lots of kisses and hugs, you will love this product. AND you will get more sleep too.

Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer