2,341 Reviews
 (1,521)

1,862 of 1,888 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars To sleep, perchance to dream... THIS WORKS!
This product totally works, my son is only 22 mths old, but 5 days later it had completely changed his waking times from 4am to 6am! And 9 days in, he's now consistently waking up between 6.15 - 6.30am. Below is how I did it -

Published on 9 Nov. 2010 by Phoz

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice little addition to a childs bedroom.
We decided to buy this little sleep trainer for our daughter's room. We haven't gotten the extra sleep we had hoped for just yet (2 weeks on) but we haven't given up hope just yet.

The clock itself is of reasonable build quality. The screen of the clock is slightly hard to read on very sunny days even at full brightness. We found we had to turn the brightness...
Published on 20 Jun. 2012 by poldebruin

1,862 of 1,888 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars To sleep, perchance to dream... THIS WORKS!, 9 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)

My 22 mth old son has always been a bit of a challenging sleeper, but recently it was just getting ridiculous. 4am starts told me that something needed to be done (not least of all because my husband was away, so I was doing all the early morning starts!) Anyway, I invested in a groclock after a friend recommended one. I have to say, I was a bit dubious, my son is only 22 mths old, and I wondered if he'd actually understand what was going on.

The first day I got it, we read the accompanying book a couple of times, then I spent 3 x 5min sessions with him running through the demo mode, so we saw the sun wink (bye bye Mr Sun!) and turn into the star (Night night! Sleeping time! - we pretended to go to sleep) then into the sun again (Morning Mr Sun! Get up! Get up! - we leapt up and danced around). We did this until it seemed like he understood what was going on. I ambitiously set the sun to come up at 6am, and waited to see how it would go.

Anyway, needless to say, day 1 he woke up at 4am, I went into his room, sat with him, and just kept saying, no, sleeping time, we need to wait until the sun gets up (I'd put some toys in his cot for him to play with, and I encouraged him to do so). After an hour of this, he was beginning to lose the plot, so I subtly changed the clock to the sun, and waited for him to notice. When he did, I made a HUGE fuss of him - yes, yes clever boy, it IS the sun. Let's get up!!

Day 2, woke up at 4.10am. This time I gave it a bit longer before I went in to sit in his room, then again encouraged him to read his books, play with his cars etc. I talked to him about having to wait for Mr Sun, and didn't stay in the whole time, went in, reassured, then went out. At no time did I get him out of his cot, I just encouraged him to wait for the sun.

Day 3, woke up at 5.40am. This time, because it was only 20 mins until he had to get up, I didn't go in at all, just talked to him from outside the door about having to wait for the sun.

Day 4, woke up at 4.55am. I was a bit discouraged, felt like we were going backwards, but this time I didn't go in, just called out to reassure him, and encourage him to play with his cars, read his books, and wait for the sun. Again, I constantly reassured him if he called out or cried, but I didn't go in.

Day 5, woke up at 5.45am, and played until the sun came up

Day 6, woke up AFTER THE SUN!! 6.01am!!

Day 7, woke up at 6.35am

Day 8, woke up at 6.16am (I then took the plunge and changed the wakeup time from 6.00am to 6.15am)

Day 9, woke up at 5.40am, but didn't cry, then put himself back to sleep until 6.20am. He has NEVER put himself back to sleep before.

My top tips for success are

1) Decide you really want to do this before you start. You'll need an iron will to keep going even when bubs is protesting.

2) Once you really decide you want to do it, do NOT get the child out of bed until 'Mr Sun' comes up. I found it was ok to go in and sit with them, encourage them to play in their bed / cot, reassure them etc. If the child really starts to lose it, I would press the button to bring on the sun for the first day, or the second at a real push, but try not to let them see you doing it, otherwise they'll associate you with the sun - and it's key they understand the sun comes out independently of Mummy or Daddy coming into their room! Similarly, try not to go in if you can possibly help it.

3) Set the wake up time as their regular wake up time for the first day, then move it by 15 mins each day until you get to your desired time. I didn't do this, and think it would probably have helped.

4) Think about what you do with your child when they wake up. I thought about it and realised that we were letting him watch telly (mainly because we were so wiped!!), but actually this was reinforcing the early waking, as he was leaping out of bed, so excited about watching Peppa Pig! By not allowing him to watch telly until I was preparing dinner, I removed this association. So now, it's a cup of milk and independent play until 7am, when he has breakfast.

5) Spend a bit of time each day for the first week running through the demo mode with very exaggerated actions and enthusiasm (e.g. loud snores for sleeping, big leaps for getting up). Make it fun. And do it until your child understands. Reinforce it whenever you're reading any book, most kids books have pictures of suns or stars somewhere in them - point at it, and say what is this? Child will say 'sun, stars' etc - say, yes, it's the sun, star - what does that mean? Child - wake up, sleep. You - yes, that's RIGHT. Clever boy/girl - when we see the SUN we WAKE UP!, when we see the STAR we SLEEP.

6) Be consistent - be consistent, be consistent. Don't do it unless you're going to see it through, as your child will absolutely test you to see if you're serious. So this is why it helps to set the wakeup time close to their actual wakeup time to begin with - it's much easier to reinforce if you don't have to deal with an hour of protesting to begin with!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, could do with more customisation, 1 May 2015
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
Great concept, great product, good quality and it has (mostly) done the trick with our two year old. We have the odd few mornings that are a set back but nothing major.

I would like to give this product 5 stars as for the most part, I think it is great but for a few minor irritations...
1. The very bright blue night light. This could do with some sort of dimmer for children that don't really require a light that bright. I understand that a light is required so that the child can see (if they wake in the night) that it is still night time BUT - seriously, when I walk past my daughters closed bedroom door, it looks like a spaceship could be landing in her bedroom. It is very bright and whilst it doesn't seem to bother my daughter, it does bother me that she insists on having it so close to her head/eyes.
2. No sun, no stars. The clock goes into a sleep mode in the day time and everything goes off apart from a small digital clock. I'm all for conserving energy but this does confuse my toddler when we go up to her bedroom a few hours after waking and the sun has disappeared. Stars mean it's sleep time, Sun means it's day time - what does it mean when there's NOTHING? She frantically presses button until the sun comes back onto the screen and then the panic is over. I would say this can be confusing to a two year old and perhaps an option to keep the sun on (maybe in a dimmer form) would be beneficial.

I would definitely recommend this but I hope they make some improvements in the future with a bit more customisation.

5.0 out of 5 stars More sleep for everyone!, 24 Aug. 2009
J. Boothman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I bought this a few weeks ago for my 3 year old son who kept getting up ridiculously early, whatever time he had gone to bed. As he has been growing out of daytime sleeps he was getting really tired and bad tempered in the day.
The price nearly put me off but the clock seemed a good design and I decided to give it a try over the holidays. It has worked perfectly. He has enjoyed setting it in the evenings (watching the sun close its eyes and change into the moon) and comes into our room at 7.30am with a beaming smile every morning telling us that the sun has come up. He has always had a night light in his bedroom and this doubles up as that, plus you can alter the brightness.
Setting it up initially was quite straightforward and if you unplug it to move it or to take away on holiday, it retains the settings. The fact that it can also be set to display digital time and has an audio alarm if required means that it will go on to be useful as he gets older.
In summary we are all getting more sleep and are a much happier household!

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter is finally sleeping through the night..., 4 Oct. 2013
Mrs (High Wycombe, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I was very cynical about buying this product and wondered whether it would just end up being a complete waste of money. However, having read the reviews, I decided to give it a try. I have to say it has changed my life as my daughter now finally sleeps through the night! Having turned 2 in August, this is an amazing change for me and my husband and an event we have longed for! My daughter grasped the concept on the first night and, on the rare occasions I have had to get up to her at night during the past few weeks since we bought the clock, she has been happy to go back in her cot on the basis that the star clock face is still showing. Prior to getting the clock, we would have battles that went on for a couple of hours about her staying in her cot as she preferred to come into bed with us.

On a more functional note, the clock is really well designed with a demo mode which means you can run the day/night sequence and explain it to your child. It also has two wake up time settings, one for morning wake up and one for a daytime nap (you could instead use this to set wake up time later on the weekend). It also comes with a book which also helps your child to understand the clock, even though the story is a bit cheesy :-) The clock also acts as an excellent night light but the light setting is adjustable if your child prefers complete darkness.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is having difficulty with their toddler sleeping through the night or not staying in their own bed. Although it isn't cheap, it's well worth it for a good night's sleep!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Can Sleep!!!, 6 Sept. 2013
Mr. Gary Barber "Nac MacFeegle" (Droylsden, Greater Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I cannot rate this highly enough. When my kids starting getting up and 5am (used to get up at 7am) I was getting so frustrated as my exhaustion got worse and worse.

At 2 yrs old and 4 yrs old they just weren't old enough for the concept of staying in bed until the little hand was pointing at the 7.

Here's where the Gro-Clock comes in. A child that's not old enough to tell the time, can still understand a Gro-Clock perfectly.

It's easy to setup. You just set the actual time, and then set the time that you want your child to get up at. When it's bedtime, you press the buttons, and the clock changes from a picture of a Yellow Sun, to a picture of a Blue Star. The Blue Star means it sleep time, the Yellow Sun means it's Wake Up time.

In the morning, at the time set by the parent (7am here) the clock changes from the Blue Start, back into the Yellow Sun, so your child knows it's time to get up.

Obviously you have to explain this to the child and it takes a little while to start working. We did it a bit at a time. Setting a wake up time of 5:30 for a week, then 6:00, then 6:30, until we hit 7:00. We also used sticker charts as a reward. Every time the child waits for Mr Sun, they get a sticker to put on their chart. After 5 stickers they get a little treat.

It's worked amazingly well. After a few weeks we have happy parents. More importantly we also have much happier kids because they're getting a decent amount of sleep. They're more active, more engaged at home and at school, and better behaved, presumably because they're a lot less tired and grumpy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
My 3 year old daughter was going through a phase in which she would wake up in the middle of the night and go to our bedroom. I remembered seeing this item on amazon, so I ordered it to see if it would do mommy and daddy a big favour.
When it arrived, she loved it, specially the sun and the star images. The story book included is algo a good idea to show them the purpose of the clock, and the demo mode is also very useful to show how the little stars disappear as the night passes by.

Now, when it's time to go to bed, she has the ritual of saying good-bye to the sun and push the button so the star watches her over the night. And we don't have visits in the middle of the night anymore, but sometimes she enters in our room earlier in the morning than was supposed to. She says to me that the sun has appeared, but that's because she has pushed the button to make it appear. It's my fault, I'm always forgetting to lock the clock when she's asleep :)
Also it is possible to program two different wake up hours, so I use one for the weekend and the other for workdays, very useful indeed. It also has an alarm clock, I tried it once but wasn't enough loud to make her wake up. :)

The only thing that I don't like it so much it's its brightness. Although it's possible to adjust between 10 different levels, I think the lowest one it's still a bit brighter than I would like. It makes a good night light, but I have to turn the clock away from bed, because the blue light might awake her during the lighter phases of sleep.

Overall I recommend it to parents who need to teach their children to stay in bed during the night, and also it makes a very nice night light.

Pros:
- Very easy to handle, even for children
- Possible to program two different wake up hours
- Demo mode makes it easier to explain to kids
- Book with children's story to teach how the clock can help them

Cons:
- Lowest level of brightness isn't dim enough
- Alarm clock could have other beeps and the possibility to change volume

4.0 out of 5 stars If you're desperate for sleep Try it!, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I bought this for my 2 year old who repeatedly wakes at 5.30am.
I'd read some of the reviews, so after reading the book to my little boy and explaining he could get out of bed when the sun comes up i tried moving the 'sun' time forward 5 mins everyday and starting (setting it 5 mins after his norm wake up time)
Unfortunately this didn't work for us. One morning after he woke up super early we went in and explained he had to wait until the sun came up to get out of bed. we decided the sun had to rise early that morning and unfortunately he saw us press the button on the clock that makes the sun come up. Every morning afterwards when we would tell him the sun wasn't up yet so he couldn't get out of bed he would shout 'press it!' Or we would shout 'is the sun up yet?'and he would shout 'yes', even when we knew it wasn't!
On a positive when he wakes up he now has a concept of time, rather than waking up and expecting to get out of bed straight away whatever the time. So he's able to stay in his bed and amuse himself, with the knowledge that mummy and daddy will come and get him when the sun comes up. He's so cute when he shouts excitedly 'mummy, daddy suns up'
As an aside my son was still waking through the night at 23 months and after having recurring bouts of tonsillitis he was diagnosed with sleep apnea due to the size of his tonsils and he had to have them out. Within 3 weeks of the op he was sleeping through the night.. So don't rule out a medical problem if your toddler isn't sleeping.

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought my daughter was too savvy to fall for the concept, 2 Feb. 2013
J. RIGBY (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
At 20 months, we had got to a point where our little girl would go to sleep in her own bed for the first three hours, but when she woke, she wouldn't go back down unless she was in our bed. That would have been fine if she didn't constantly wiggle around whilst on the boob. As you can imagine, that was exhausting for us all and none of the suggested methods worked with our daughter. Cry it out method just isn't appropriate; she would cry for three hours if and when we ever allowed it to go that far. Plus, that is just not our parenting style and we weren't comfortable with it.

The gro clock was my last option left and though I suspected my daughter was too savvy to fall for such a simple concept, for £20, I had to forget my suspicions and give it a go and sell it on if it didn't work. After all, the positive reviews were statistically in our favour.

It worked from the first night. Yes, she still woke, but getting her back down because mr sunshine wasn't up yet, was much easier than before!

The gro clock hasn't solved her waking, nor her early get ups when she does sleep through,, but it has massively improved our position, which is something we could not have achieved without the clock. She spends the night in her own bed and knows that she cannot have booby or get in mum and dads bed until mr sunshine comes up. I play it as her special job to notice when mr sunshine comes up and to shout of mum and dad to tell us when he has come up. She loves her special job!

She even puts a blanket beside her clock to help mr sunshine sleep.

It is the best twenty quid I have ever spent as it has allowed me to wean her off the night feeds with ease and get to sleep in our bed comfortably in just one night. In fact, sometimes she has slept until after 6am and that never happened before. We are lucky if we get to 5am normally!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 31 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
We bought this clock to try to encourage our ten month baby to sleep a bit later than 5.15 a.m. Everyone gave us that knowing look when we told them, with various comments that she was too young... However a month later and she is already waking consistently at 6.30 and we will keep advancing the wake up time every few days! When the sun rises we hear her squealing with excitement and when we go in at 6.30 she points excitedly at 'mr sunshine' !!!
A fantastic product, if I had one little gripe it would be that it loses about a minute a day so every few days I have to re-adjust the clock time, and one constructive comment is that even on the dimmest setting the clock gives off quite an eerie blue glow... We had a couple of false starts with it where we wondered whether it was actually disturbing her sleep as she woke up several times in the night until we put the clock face down for the rest of the night... Maybe for a baby who is used to sleeping in pitch black it was just too bright...we wondered whether the night time setting wouldn't be better without the background blue light with maybe with just the little stars lit up - that way also it would be easier for the baby to see each star disappearing and counting down to wake up time... having said that she is no longer bothered by it and has got used to it but maybe not everyone would persevere! Overall well done on a fantastic product which works a treat on even a very young baby and has now become part of a bedtime routine which she actually really enjoys! We would definitely recommend this product!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, design needs improving, 30 Dec. 2012
M. D. (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
We have been using the gro clock for my daughter who is 2 years 8 months old for 3 weeks and it works. She got the idea straight away and after a few nights started waking up with the sun or after it. She is a great sleeper but have always been an early riser and this clock is helping her understand the idea of morning time. After a month of 5.30-6pm wake ups, it's been lovely to be able to get up at around 7am. We put the time back by 10-15mins every couple of days until reaching our desired wake up time.
The best thing about the clock has been that even if she has woken up before the sun has come up, my husband (the official baby calmer) would go in her room and without turning on the lights will tell her to go to sleep as the sun has not come up yet. She pretty much has always gone quiet immediately even before he's gone out of the room. And then wake up with the sun or later.
Now, what I find most annoying about this product is the silly design. Couldn't they have put some extra buttons for all the functions? It's tedious to set up, the lead it pretty short and the clock does not work with batteries. Luckily my daughter still sleeps in a cot and we have the clock positioned on a chair next to it, but when she moves to a big bed we'll have to do some thinking about where to put it in her room, so she can't fiddle with it.
Anyhow, it is a great idea and it takes off the pressure from the parent when telling their kid it's still night time and they need to sleep. Also I like that the night mode could be toned down to 0 light, as my daughter has always slept in full darkness and does not like having any sort of light at night.

Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer