1,808 Reviews
 (1,173)

1,598 of 1,612 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars To sleep, perchance to dream... THIS WORKS!
This product totally works, my son is only 22 mths old, but 5 days later it had completely changed his waking times from 4am to 6am! And 9 days in, he's now consistently waking up between 6.15 - 6.30am. Below is how I did it -

Published on 9 Nov 2010 by Phoz

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money
Published 11 days ago by JG

1,598 of 1,612 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars To sleep, perchance to dream... THIS WORKS!, 9 Nov 2010
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)

My 22 mth old son has always been a bit of a challenging sleeper, but recently it was just getting ridiculous. 4am starts told me that something needed to be done (not least of all because my husband was away, so I was doing all the early morning starts!) Anyway, I invested in a groclock after a friend recommended one. I have to say, I was a bit dubious, my son is only 22 mths old, and I wondered if he'd actually understand what was going on.

The first day I got it, we read the accompanying book a couple of times, then I spent 3 x 5min sessions with him running through the demo mode, so we saw the sun wink (bye bye Mr Sun!) and turn into the star (Night night! Sleeping time! - we pretended to go to sleep) then into the sun again (Morning Mr Sun! Get up! Get up! - we leapt up and danced around). We did this until it seemed like he understood what was going on. I ambitiously set the sun to come up at 6am, and waited to see how it would go.

Anyway, needless to say, day 1 he woke up at 4am, I went into his room, sat with him, and just kept saying, no, sleeping time, we need to wait until the sun gets up (I'd put some toys in his cot for him to play with, and I encouraged him to do so). After an hour of this, he was beginning to lose the plot, so I subtly changed the clock to the sun, and waited for him to notice. When he did, I made a HUGE fuss of him - yes, yes clever boy, it IS the sun. Let's get up!!

Day 2, woke up at 4.10am. This time I gave it a bit longer before I went in to sit in his room, then again encouraged him to read his books, play with his cars etc. I talked to him about having to wait for Mr Sun, and didn't stay in the whole time, went in, reassured, then went out. At no time did I get him out of his cot, I just encouraged him to wait for the sun.

Day 3, woke up at 5.40am. This time, because it was only 20 mins until he had to get up, I didn't go in at all, just talked to him from outside the door about having to wait for the sun.

Day 4, woke up at 4.55am. I was a bit discouraged, felt like we were going backwards, but this time I didn't go in, just called out to reassure him, and encourage him to play with his cars, read his books, and wait for the sun. Again, I constantly reassured him if he called out or cried, but I didn't go in.

Day 5, woke up at 5.45am, and played until the sun came up

Day 6, woke up AFTER THE SUN!! 6.01am!!

Day 7, woke up at 6.35am

Day 8, woke up at 6.16am (I then took the plunge and changed the wakeup time from 6.00am to 6.15am)

Day 9, woke up at 5.40am, but didn't cry, then put himself back to sleep until 6.20am. He has NEVER put himself back to sleep before.

My top tips for success are

1) Decide you really want to do this before you start. You'll need an iron will to keep going even when bubs is protesting.

2) Once you really decide you want to do it, do NOT get the child out of bed until 'Mr Sun' comes up. I found it was ok to go in and sit with them, encourage them to play in their bed / cot, reassure them etc. If the child really starts to lose it, I would press the button to bring on the sun for the first day, or the second at a real push, but try not to let them see you doing it, otherwise they'll associate you with the sun - and it's key they understand the sun comes out independently of Mummy or Daddy coming into their room! Similarly, try not to go in if you can possibly help it.

3) Set the wake up time as their regular wake up time for the first day, then move it by 15 mins each day until you get to your desired time. I didn't do this, and think it would probably have helped.

4) Think about what you do with your child when they wake up. I thought about it and realised that we were letting him watch telly (mainly because we were so wiped!!), but actually this was reinforcing the early waking, as he was leaping out of bed, so excited about watching Peppa Pig! By not allowing him to watch telly until I was preparing dinner, I removed this association. So now, it's a cup of milk and independent play until 7am, when he has breakfast.

5) Spend a bit of time each day for the first week running through the demo mode with very exaggerated actions and enthusiasm (e.g. loud snores for sleeping, big leaps for getting up). Make it fun. And do it until your child understands. Reinforce it whenever you're reading any book, most kids books have pictures of suns or stars somewhere in them - point at it, and say what is this? Child will say 'sun, stars' etc - say, yes, it's the sun, star - what does that mean? Child - wake up, sleep. You - yes, that's RIGHT. Clever boy/girl - when we see the SUN we WAKE UP!, when we see the STAR we SLEEP.

6) Be consistent - be consistent, be consistent. Don't do it unless you're going to see it through, as your child will absolutely test you to see if you're serious. So this is why it helps to set the wakeup time close to their actual wakeup time to begin with - it's much easier to reinforce if you don't have to deal with an hour of protesting to begin with!

5.0 out of 5 stars More sleep for everyone!, 24 Aug 2009
J. Boothman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I bought this a few weeks ago for my 3 year old son who kept getting up ridiculously early, whatever time he had gone to bed. As he has been growing out of daytime sleeps he was getting really tired and bad tempered in the day.
The price nearly put me off but the clock seemed a good design and I decided to give it a try over the holidays. It has worked perfectly. He has enjoyed setting it in the evenings (watching the sun close its eyes and change into the moon) and comes into our room at 7.30am with a beaming smile every morning telling us that the sun has come up. He has always had a night light in his bedroom and this doubles up as that, plus you can alter the brightness.
Setting it up initially was quite straightforward and if you unplug it to move it or to take away on holiday, it retains the settings. The fact that it can also be set to display digital time and has an audio alarm if required means that it will go on to be useful as he gets older.
In summary we are all getting more sleep and are a much happier household!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase!!! Wish I had known about it earlier!, 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
My 3 year old has not woken us up in the middle of the night since we got it. (Had it about 2 months) If she wakes up now she knows it's not morning time and settles herself back to sleep without shouting for me and crying. She has also always been an early riser (5am ish) I set the clock for 6 and she has slept through every night. Wish I had purchased this a long time ago! I will now be moving it forwards by 15 mins or so every couple of weeks. I also used a reward chart and stickers which I purchased from Amazon which I think is a big factor in the success as each morning she comes running in my bedroom shouting 'the clock is yellow I have won a sticker' great purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - a bit more sleep is always welcome., 27 Aug 2009
Amazon Customer (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
Found this product really useful for my daughter, aged 3 1/2. She's never really sure when she wakes up whether it's time to get up. The set up is much the same as any other digital clock / alarm and once activated the sun sets and becomes a moon surrounded by stars. The stars disappear one by one at regular intervals, this also helps as the child can get an idea how long is left before they have to get up. At your programmed time the sun 'rises' and the colour changes to yellow with a huge sun. You can also programme a separate time for a daytime nap. Very easy for even a small child to know when it is time to get up. Has a simple child lock function to prevent little fingers interfering! Has worked really well for us. Would highly recommend for all those parents who would like that bit of extra time in bed!

5.0 out of 5 stars worth its weight in gold, 7 Jan 2011
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
We got this for our daughter's 4th birthday in October. She had been getting up at any time from 5:30! Set the sun to come up at 7:00, and within two weeks she was doing the same. It even worked on Christmas Day!!

We paid £22 for this. Seemed a bit steep at the time, but worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really really helpful to stop wandering children, 1 Nov 2010
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
Like most reviewers, this clock was bought because our three year old kept appearing in the night at our bedside. He now knows that the yellow sun is getting up time. Apart from the odd night where he has had a bad dream, we see a good deal less of him in the small hours. Great result. It's also a good opportunity at bedtime to say goodnight and he likes to push the button to get the stars up. Perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely transformed our lives, 18 May 2010
Paula (County Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
For the last 4.5 years my husband and I haven't had a full night's sleep. Then we bought this clock. And literally for the last 4 weeks since we bought it, my daughter (4.5 years old) has slept from around 8.00-8.30pm till at least 7am every morning. 7am is when her clock wakes up. sometimes I even have to wake her up at 8am.

Prior to this, she'd be up to or three times in the night, because she saw it was light and thought it was time to get up. If it was near 5am there was no chance she'd (or us) go back to sleep. Now, she wakes up and if any stars are left, she goes back to sleep. I haven't used the audible alarm as I'm always up at 7am anyway.

We used to have a princess trainer clock but it used to noisily wake her up regardless of how many times she'd been up in the night. and the time setting on it was purely guesswork so you could think it was set for 7am but it would go off at 6am.

Hence, I'd lost hope with clocks. But I cannot rate this one high enough. It's given us our lives back, and my daughter's a different little girl.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works in the USA with a little technical work, no battery backup, cheaper to order and ship from the UK than buy in the USA!, 23 Aug 2014
Stuart WL (Warrington, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
Let's take a look at this Gro Clock!

We live in the USA but heard great things about the Gro Clock, so we decided to get one.

First, it's A LOT cheaper here even including international shipping to the USA.

Next, the plug that comes with this clock is UK-only. It also does NOT support 110 Volts even if you purchase a plug adapter to make it fit a US plug socket. You can purchase an actual voltage converter but they are expensive. We also tried going to Radio Shack to buy a new adapter with a barrel plug that fits the Gro Clock, but the Shack couldn't locate one with a long enough barrel on the end.

The easiest solution if you're a little handy with electrics is the splice an old phone charger (they provide 5 volts and this clock needs 6 volts, so it's fine!) onto the Gro Clock plug. I've done this with 2 different old chargers. First, cut of the charger end (the bit that goes into the phone), strip back the outside insulation and there will likely be 2 wires inside, red and black. Red is positive. On the Gro Clock plug, cut off the big chunky UK wall plug. The Gro Clock wire is white, one of the white wires has a black stripe. This black stripe needs to be positive. So connect the red positive wire from the phone charger to the black strip wire. Connect the other two wires together. Wrap in electric tape (masking tape in a pinch, it's only 5 volts), and you should be good to go.

Programming the clock is fairly easy once you play around and follow the instructions a few times. NOTE: just to be clear, you can only program the "wake up time" for the morning, and the "wake up time" for naps. You cannot program the time to go to sleep...this is done by manually pressing a button to activate the night/star display. The clock will then count down until the programmed wake-up time and display the sun again.

One thing I wish the clock had was a battery back-up! It shouldn't be that hard to add a 9 volt into the bottom to provide power if the lights go out.

Bottom line? My 2 year old is very interested in it. It's cheaper on the Amazon.co.uk website. And it's really not difficult to swap the plug.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 11 Sep 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
So disappointed with this clock. We were sure our daughter would respond well to sleep training and had prepared her for having her own clock. She was really excited when the first clock arrived but it didn't work at all so we asked for a replacement. The second clock switched on but the night time stars screen went out during the night and the sun didn't appear in the morning. We checked the settings and it should have worked. Can't be bothered to try a third clock and go through the explanation process again, in case that one doesn't work either.

4.0 out of 5 stars It worked! But not immediately, 12 Aug 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
My son has always been an early riser, often 5am or earlier. He went through a phase of going back to sleep after some reassurance but then that stopped. Around Christmas he did start going through to 6am, but by Summer was creeping earlier again. There were a couple of mornings around his 2nd birthday that were 4.45, so we made the decision there and then to buy the clock.
We have seen a definite improvement. We started at 5.15 and the first few of mornings we were having to go in and sit with him while we waited for the sun. He knew he wasn't allowed up beforehand, so even though he's in a bed he would have laid there crying for us. I think once I did sneakily make the sun come up early as he was quite distressed. Once he 'got it' we gradually moved the time to 5.30.
Then we went on holiday for a week and expected it all to go backwards, but bravely set the clock for 6am upon our return and it's been great! It's lovely to be woken by his little running footsteps coming into our room AFTER 6! The other day I forgot to set it and he played quietly until we went in at 6.30.
We also followed a tip on here that suggested no TV in the mornings. We'd been guilty of taking him downstairs to watch TV while the other one stayed in bed. Now, no TV until after breakfast.
This little gadget has made such a difference to us. No more grumpy, tearful, over-tired toddler in the mornings, and no more grumpy mum and dad :)

Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer