1,856 Reviews
 (1,197)

1,627 of 1,643 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars To sleep, perchance to dream... THIS WORKS!
This product totally works, my son is only 22 mths old, but 5 days later it had completely changed his waking times from 4am to 6am! And 9 days in, he's now consistently waking up between 6.15 - 6.30am. Below is how I did it -

Published on 9 Nov 2010 by Phoz

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money
Published 1 month ago by JG

1,627 of 1,643 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars To sleep, perchance to dream... THIS WORKS!, 9 Nov 2010
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)

My 22 mth old son has always been a bit of a challenging sleeper, but recently it was just getting ridiculous. 4am starts told me that something needed to be done (not least of all because my husband was away, so I was doing all the early morning starts!) Anyway, I invested in a groclock after a friend recommended one. I have to say, I was a bit dubious, my son is only 22 mths old, and I wondered if he'd actually understand what was going on.

The first day I got it, we read the accompanying book a couple of times, then I spent 3 x 5min sessions with him running through the demo mode, so we saw the sun wink (bye bye Mr Sun!) and turn into the star (Night night! Sleeping time! - we pretended to go to sleep) then into the sun again (Morning Mr Sun! Get up! Get up! - we leapt up and danced around). We did this until it seemed like he understood what was going on. I ambitiously set the sun to come up at 6am, and waited to see how it would go.

Anyway, needless to say, day 1 he woke up at 4am, I went into his room, sat with him, and just kept saying, no, sleeping time, we need to wait until the sun gets up (I'd put some toys in his cot for him to play with, and I encouraged him to do so). After an hour of this, he was beginning to lose the plot, so I subtly changed the clock to the sun, and waited for him to notice. When he did, I made a HUGE fuss of him - yes, yes clever boy, it IS the sun. Let's get up!!

Day 2, woke up at 4.10am. This time I gave it a bit longer before I went in to sit in his room, then again encouraged him to read his books, play with his cars etc. I talked to him about having to wait for Mr Sun, and didn't stay in the whole time, went in, reassured, then went out. At no time did I get him out of his cot, I just encouraged him to wait for the sun.

Day 3, woke up at 5.40am. This time, because it was only 20 mins until he had to get up, I didn't go in at all, just talked to him from outside the door about having to wait for the sun.

Day 4, woke up at 4.55am. I was a bit discouraged, felt like we were going backwards, but this time I didn't go in, just called out to reassure him, and encourage him to play with his cars, read his books, and wait for the sun. Again, I constantly reassured him if he called out or cried, but I didn't go in.

Day 5, woke up at 5.45am, and played until the sun came up

Day 6, woke up AFTER THE SUN!! 6.01am!!

Day 7, woke up at 6.35am

Day 8, woke up at 6.16am (I then took the plunge and changed the wakeup time from 6.00am to 6.15am)

Day 9, woke up at 5.40am, but didn't cry, then put himself back to sleep until 6.20am. He has NEVER put himself back to sleep before.

My top tips for success are

1) Decide you really want to do this before you start. You'll need an iron will to keep going even when bubs is protesting.

2) Once you really decide you want to do it, do NOT get the child out of bed until 'Mr Sun' comes up. I found it was ok to go in and sit with them, encourage them to play in their bed / cot, reassure them etc. If the child really starts to lose it, I would press the button to bring on the sun for the first day, or the second at a real push, but try not to let them see you doing it, otherwise they'll associate you with the sun - and it's key they understand the sun comes out independently of Mummy or Daddy coming into their room! Similarly, try not to go in if you can possibly help it.

3) Set the wake up time as their regular wake up time for the first day, then move it by 15 mins each day until you get to your desired time. I didn't do this, and think it would probably have helped.

4) Think about what you do with your child when they wake up. I thought about it and realised that we were letting him watch telly (mainly because we were so wiped!!), but actually this was reinforcing the early waking, as he was leaping out of bed, so excited about watching Peppa Pig! By not allowing him to watch telly until I was preparing dinner, I removed this association. So now, it's a cup of milk and independent play until 7am, when he has breakfast.

5) Spend a bit of time each day for the first week running through the demo mode with very exaggerated actions and enthusiasm (e.g. loud snores for sleeping, big leaps for getting up). Make it fun. And do it until your child understands. Reinforce it whenever you're reading any book, most kids books have pictures of suns or stars somewhere in them - point at it, and say what is this? Child will say 'sun, stars' etc - say, yes, it's the sun, star - what does that mean? Child - wake up, sleep. You - yes, that's RIGHT. Clever boy/girl - when we see the SUN we WAKE UP!, when we see the STAR we SLEEP.

6) Be consistent - be consistent, be consistent. Don't do it unless you're going to see it through, as your child will absolutely test you to see if you're serious. So this is why it helps to set the wakeup time close to their actual wakeup time to begin with - it's much easier to reinforce if you don't have to deal with an hour of protesting to begin with!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase!!! Wish I had known about it earlier!, 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
My 3 year old has not woken us up in the middle of the night since we got it. (Had it about 2 months) If she wakes up now she knows it's not morning time and settles herself back to sleep without shouting for me and crying. She has also always been an early riser (5am ish) I set the clock for 6 and she has slept through every night. Wish I had purchased this a long time ago! I will now be moving it forwards by 15 mins or so every couple of weeks. I also used a reward chart and stickers which I purchased from Amazon which I think is a big factor in the success as each morning she comes running in my bedroom shouting 'the clock is yellow I have won a sticker' great purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars More sleep for everyone!, 24 Aug 2009
J. Boothman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I bought this a few weeks ago for my 3 year old son who kept getting up ridiculously early, whatever time he had gone to bed. As he has been growing out of daytime sleeps he was getting really tired and bad tempered in the day.
The price nearly put me off but the clock seemed a good design and I decided to give it a try over the holidays. It has worked perfectly. He has enjoyed setting it in the evenings (watching the sun close its eyes and change into the moon) and comes into our room at 7.30am with a beaming smile every morning telling us that the sun has come up. He has always had a night light in his bedroom and this doubles up as that, plus you can alter the brightness.
Setting it up initially was quite straightforward and if you unplug it to move it or to take away on holiday, it retains the settings. The fact that it can also be set to display digital time and has an audio alarm if required means that it will go on to be useful as he gets older.
In summary we are all getting more sleep and are a much happier household!

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 11 Sep 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
So disappointed with this clock. We were sure our daughter would respond well to sleep training and had prepared her for having her own clock. She was really excited when the first clock arrived but it didn't work at all so we asked for a replacement. The second clock switched on but the night time stars screen went out during the night and the sun didn't appear in the morning. We checked the settings and it should have worked. Can't be bothered to try a third clock and go through the explanation process again, in case that one doesn't work either.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for early risers., 31 Aug 2009
J. Burfoot (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
Great product, very clever. The story that comes with the clock helps the child understand the difference between night and day. The sun sets in the story and my son loves pressing the button to make the sun on the clock do the same.
There is no sound on the alarm so if your child is asleep when the sun rises you could get a lay in!
My son is 20 months and i think he is still a little young for it to be totally affective, he is now up at 5.30am instead of 4.30am.
2 years + you might progress a little quicker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely transformed our lives, 18 May 2010
Paula (County Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
For the last 4.5 years my husband and I haven't had a full night's sleep. Then we bought this clock. And literally for the last 4 weeks since we bought it, my daughter (4.5 years old) has slept from around 8.00-8.30pm till at least 7am every morning. 7am is when her clock wakes up. sometimes I even have to wake her up at 8am.

Prior to this, she'd be up to or three times in the night, because she saw it was light and thought it was time to get up. If it was near 5am there was no chance she'd (or us) go back to sleep. Now, she wakes up and if any stars are left, she goes back to sleep. I haven't used the audible alarm as I'm always up at 7am anyway.

We used to have a princess trainer clock but it used to noisily wake her up regardless of how many times she'd been up in the night. and the time setting on it was purely guesswork so you could think it was set for 7am but it would go off at 6am.

Hence, I'd lost hope with clocks. But I cannot rate this one high enough. It's given us our lives back, and my daughter's a different little girl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bliss!, 18 Sep 2009
Kev Partner "Writer, geek, dad." (Alton, Hamshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
This product may look expensive (and, indeed, it is) but you're paying for the chance of a decent night's sleep. Our 3 year old son has never been a good sleeper but, lately, he's been rarely sleeping beyound 5.30 and sometimes he's been getting up even earlier.

In desperation, we thought we'd give this product a try. Within 2 nights he was sleeping through. We've now got it set to 6.45 and moving gradually towards 7 or (wonder of wonders) perhaps 7.30 before too long.

The genius of the product is its simplicity and its link to the book. Unlike so many other products, the link between the two has clearly been there since the product was dreamed up: the graphics from the clock appear in the book and vice versa.

It's also important to give the child an incentive to wait until the sun gets up but at least there's no question that they will understand the concept without needing to learn to tell the time.

Overall, we've been using it for a few weeks now and we get at least 5 good nights out of 7 and it's getting progressively better.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 year old loves it. Extra time in bed a bonus, 31 Aug 2009
Jennifer (Lochmaben, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
My daughter loves this clock. She insists on showing everyone and is proud to tell us she gets up "when the sun's up". Granted she doesn't always wait until the sun is up but previously there was no negotiation to get her back to bed now she understands it isn't time and will normally go back until the right time. I would recommend this to anyone who has trouble with early birds. She also loves the book that goes with it

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for Toddlers with Suspected Asperger's, 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
Despite buying many items on Amazon in the past, I had never felt compelled to leave feedback on a product before now. But this clock has been amazing for my two year old son. For a child with suspected Asperger's, this visual guide to when it is time to go to bed and when it's time to get up is brilliant.

Before we got this clock he jumped out of bed as soon as we left the room, ran to his door and cried. At some point he would give in and go to sleep but he'd end up flopped on top of his duvet in various precarious positions. Now we only need to tell him to watch the star (or 'twinkle' as he calls it) when we leave the room and he happily stays in bed until he falls asleep.

In the morning he seems to stay on his bed until the sun comes up.

Would highly recommend for any toddler but especially those who thrive on structure and pictorial representations of their day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall great, 5 Oct 2009
Joanna Mellor "popcorn" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
This has worked really well for our 2 year old, who was previously starting to wake earlier and earlier...! I couldn't be without it now, and she loves it, and is much happier.

Just one or two niggles that it would be great if the manufacturers could sort out in time for our 5 month old!!! :

Our toddler has learnt that if she unplugs it (or switches off the mains) it resets, and she can press the buttons to make the sun rise! Cheeky thing. We have nowhere to put it out of reach, but if you have, use it! (and don't forget to use the key lock function!). If it could be battery powered then that would sort it.

I'd like to be able to set a nap time (ie 2 hours) rather than a time to wake, as we vary a bit each day and I have to reset it a lot!

Overall, fab though, you'll get more sleep, and that is priceless!

Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer