2,277 Reviews
 (1,480)

1,838 of 1,864 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars To sleep, perchance to dream... THIS WORKS!
This product totally works, my son is only 22 mths old, but 5 days later it had completely changed his waking times from 4am to 6am! And 9 days in, he's now consistently waking up between 6.15 - 6.30am. Below is how I did it -

Published on 9 Nov. 2010 by Phoz

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do with a bit of a redesign
I really wanted to give this clock a five star rating but there are a few niggles that bring that lower.

We bought two clocks for a six and seven year old. The first issue we had was the brightness of the display on the first night but this was rectified the next night with the dimmer function.
My biggest gripe is about the settings. Settings are accessed...
Published 9 days ago by Vimesy

1,838 of 1,864 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars To sleep, perchance to dream... THIS WORKS!, 9 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)

My 22 mth old son has always been a bit of a challenging sleeper, but recently it was just getting ridiculous. 4am starts told me that something needed to be done (not least of all because my husband was away, so I was doing all the early morning starts!) Anyway, I invested in a groclock after a friend recommended one. I have to say, I was a bit dubious, my son is only 22 mths old, and I wondered if he'd actually understand what was going on.

The first day I got it, we read the accompanying book a couple of times, then I spent 3 x 5min sessions with him running through the demo mode, so we saw the sun wink (bye bye Mr Sun!) and turn into the star (Night night! Sleeping time! - we pretended to go to sleep) then into the sun again (Morning Mr Sun! Get up! Get up! - we leapt up and danced around). We did this until it seemed like he understood what was going on. I ambitiously set the sun to come up at 6am, and waited to see how it would go.

Anyway, needless to say, day 1 he woke up at 4am, I went into his room, sat with him, and just kept saying, no, sleeping time, we need to wait until the sun gets up (I'd put some toys in his cot for him to play with, and I encouraged him to do so). After an hour of this, he was beginning to lose the plot, so I subtly changed the clock to the sun, and waited for him to notice. When he did, I made a HUGE fuss of him - yes, yes clever boy, it IS the sun. Let's get up!!

Day 2, woke up at 4.10am. This time I gave it a bit longer before I went in to sit in his room, then again encouraged him to read his books, play with his cars etc. I talked to him about having to wait for Mr Sun, and didn't stay in the whole time, went in, reassured, then went out. At no time did I get him out of his cot, I just encouraged him to wait for the sun.

Day 3, woke up at 5.40am. This time, because it was only 20 mins until he had to get up, I didn't go in at all, just talked to him from outside the door about having to wait for the sun.

Day 4, woke up at 4.55am. I was a bit discouraged, felt like we were going backwards, but this time I didn't go in, just called out to reassure him, and encourage him to play with his cars, read his books, and wait for the sun. Again, I constantly reassured him if he called out or cried, but I didn't go in.

Day 5, woke up at 5.45am, and played until the sun came up

Day 6, woke up AFTER THE SUN!! 6.01am!!

Day 7, woke up at 6.35am

Day 8, woke up at 6.16am (I then took the plunge and changed the wakeup time from 6.00am to 6.15am)

Day 9, woke up at 5.40am, but didn't cry, then put himself back to sleep until 6.20am. He has NEVER put himself back to sleep before.

My top tips for success are

1) Decide you really want to do this before you start. You'll need an iron will to keep going even when bubs is protesting.

2) Once you really decide you want to do it, do NOT get the child out of bed until 'Mr Sun' comes up. I found it was ok to go in and sit with them, encourage them to play in their bed / cot, reassure them etc. If the child really starts to lose it, I would press the button to bring on the sun for the first day, or the second at a real push, but try not to let them see you doing it, otherwise they'll associate you with the sun - and it's key they understand the sun comes out independently of Mummy or Daddy coming into their room! Similarly, try not to go in if you can possibly help it.

3) Set the wake up time as their regular wake up time for the first day, then move it by 15 mins each day until you get to your desired time. I didn't do this, and think it would probably have helped.

4) Think about what you do with your child when they wake up. I thought about it and realised that we were letting him watch telly (mainly because we were so wiped!!), but actually this was reinforcing the early waking, as he was leaping out of bed, so excited about watching Peppa Pig! By not allowing him to watch telly until I was preparing dinner, I removed this association. So now, it's a cup of milk and independent play until 7am, when he has breakfast.

5) Spend a bit of time each day for the first week running through the demo mode with very exaggerated actions and enthusiasm (e.g. loud snores for sleeping, big leaps for getting up). Make it fun. And do it until your child understands. Reinforce it whenever you're reading any book, most kids books have pictures of suns or stars somewhere in them - point at it, and say what is this? Child will say 'sun, stars' etc - say, yes, it's the sun, star - what does that mean? Child - wake up, sleep. You - yes, that's RIGHT. Clever boy/girl - when we see the SUN we WAKE UP!, when we see the STAR we SLEEP.

6) Be consistent - be consistent, be consistent. Don't do it unless you're going to see it through, as your child will absolutely test you to see if you're serious. So this is why it helps to set the wakeup time close to their actual wakeup time to begin with - it's much easier to reinforce if you don't have to deal with an hour of protesting to begin with!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and well worth the money!!, 6 July 2010
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
This is the first time I have felt a need to write a review. I bought this for my 2yrs 4mths old little girl, and it works a wonder! She doesn't sleep well at night, and although this clock hasn't helped her sleep through the night, it has helped her stay in bed longer in the mornings - which is the purpose of this clock. I tell her that when there is a star, she has to keep quiet and stay in bed. And only when she sees the sun, can she get up and that it is morning time. It's a simple concept, but it really does work and keeps her in bed! I can now stay in bed that little bit longer. I did think about getting one of those cheaper sleep trainers that have a picture which rotates and turna from day to night, but I did my research and there were lots of complaints saying that the whirring noise of the picture changing woke their child up. This clock is silent because the pictures are on the LCD screen. It is mains powered which means it can also be used as a nightlight. With battery powered ones, you can't really expect to have a night light. It also has an LCD clock which is handy. Sleep is priceless. Buy it! You won't be able to thank it enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great childrens alarm clock, 31 May 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
Great clock. Setting can be bit tricky to start with but soon got hang of it. Dimmer is amazing as it can be very bright. Lovely story book too. We love this clock.

5.0 out of 5 stars More sleep for everyone!, 24 Aug. 2009
J. Boothman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I bought this a few weeks ago for my 3 year old son who kept getting up ridiculously early, whatever time he had gone to bed. As he has been growing out of daytime sleeps he was getting really tired and bad tempered in the day.
The price nearly put me off but the clock seemed a good design and I decided to give it a try over the holidays. It has worked perfectly. He has enjoyed setting it in the evenings (watching the sun close its eyes and change into the moon) and comes into our room at 7.30am with a beaming smile every morning telling us that the sun has come up. He has always had a night light in his bedroom and this doubles up as that, plus you can alter the brightness.
Setting it up initially was quite straightforward and if you unplug it to move it or to take away on holiday, it retains the settings. The fact that it can also be set to display digital time and has an audio alarm if required means that it will go on to be useful as he gets older.
In summary we are all getting more sleep and are a much happier household!

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do with a bit of a redesign, 16 April 2015
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)

My biggest gripe is about the settings. Settings are accessed through a series of icons. The icon used to set the morning time is a star which seems a little counter intuitive.
The clock also needs to be set each evening which is a bit annoying.
One of my kids will press any button that they can find and so by the first morning the time was well out. Lesson learned here and I used the child lock, which is a great idea. The problem is that as with all child locks it is adult proof. I turned the lock on but had one heck of a job to switch the thing off. In the end I used the tried and tested hi-tech response to dealing with errant electronic devices, I turned it off then on again!

All in all these are fairly minor niggles but they just seem to add up to a bit of irritation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase!!! Wish I had known about it earlier!, 28 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
My 3 year old has not woken us up in the middle of the night since we got it. (Had it about 2 months) If she wakes up now she knows it's not morning time and settles herself back to sleep without shouting for me and crying. She has also always been an early riser (5am ish) I set the clock for 6 and she has slept through every night. Wish I had purchased this a long time ago! I will now be moving it forwards by 15 mins or so every couple of weeks. I also used a reward chart and stickers which I purchased from Amazon which I think is a big factor in the success as each morning she comes running in my bedroom shouting 'the clock is yellow I have won a sticker' great purchase

4.0 out of 5 stars so far so good, 21 Mar. 2015
L. J. Glenton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I was a bit dubious about the groclock but after being woken at 5am every morning after just getting used to sleep again I was willing to try. Comes with a lovely story book and easy to set - 6.30 wake up this morning (when I set the sun to appear). My son loved the clock and the story (he's 2 years and 8 months).

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, amazing, amazing!!!, 31 Oct. 2010
S. Parkin - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
This is a miracle product. My 21 month old daughter has always been an early riser, anywhere between 4.30am and 6am was the norm. A friend recommended this so I thought I'd give it a try. The 1st morning she ws still up at 5.30am but since the 2nd morning she sleeps until 6.30am and happily waits in her cot until 7am for mummy to come and get her. I know that 6.30am isn't that late but in our house it's a lie-in!!!

She loves the story and talks about it quite a lot, requests for Percy Pig happen frequently. If you ask her about the clock she says "Sun up, play. Star out, sleep."

I would happily recommend this to anyone, I know a lot of people who have used it and it has worked for all of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 4 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
Brilliant idea, works well, had some issues with the night light until I realised you could turn it off. Fab product, has changed my life, as my toddler now gets up (at least comes out of her room, she's probably awake before the sun comes up) when the sun comes up, for us thats 7pm. I love this product, it's easy to work, and works for little ones that dont no what time it is. My daughter has, on the odd occasion, come in to tell us it's morning when in fact it's an hour after her clock has been set, nice to no she can sleep in if she wants (and us). Also, her step brother, who stays every other weekend, now also waits for the sun to come up...heaven!

5.0 out of 5 stars DEFINITELY try this!!!, 23 April 2015
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
After weeks and weeks and WEEKS of my 2 year old deciding that 04:30am was the optimum time to start his day, I was desperate for anything that might help with his sleep pattern. After having the Gro-Clock recommended to me, I immediately bought one and WOW what an amazing piece of kit! So simple but (for us) so effective. Basically you set the time on the clock and the time you want your little one to get up. Before going to sleep, you can read your little person the book that comes with it (which I only did once) and explain that when the blue star is on the clock, it's time for them to be in bed and that they should only get up once it changes to a yellow sun (which it will do at the time you set). The first night was not great and my son still woke up at 04:30am but I explained to him that the star was still asleep and that he had to wait for the sun to come up...we had LOTS of tears but after about 20 mins he went back to bed which was a big step forward. The second night we had the same thing - up at 04:30am BUT when I told him to go back to bed, he went straight away. He then woke up before the sun came up on his clock but stayed in his room playing until the sun appeared. From the third night on he's been sleeping sooooooooooo much better, often not waking till after the sun comes up. If he wakes up before, he stays in his room playing quietly until 'it's morning time!'
I don't know how this works but I would definitely recommend this product if your little one is having problems sleeping - they don't know what time it is after all and what's a good time to get up!

Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer