1,933 Reviews
 (1,242)

1,700 of 1,719 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars To sleep, perchance to dream... THIS WORKS!
This product totally works, my son is only 22 mths old, but 5 days later it had completely changed his waking times from 4am to 6am! And 9 days in, he's now consistently waking up between 6.15 - 6.30am. Below is how I did it -

Published on 9 Nov 2010 by Phoz

3.0 out of 5 stars Overrated
IF THE TIME STARTS WITH A 5, IT IS NOT THE MORNING YET.
This kind of reasoning doesn't wash with a 2 year old. So, as friends were raving about this clock, we bought one. I think a light plugged into a timer switch would have been just as effective.
Published 26 days ago by A customer

1,700 of 1,719 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars To sleep, perchance to dream... THIS WORKS!, 9 Nov 2010
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)

My 22 mth old son has always been a bit of a challenging sleeper, but recently it was just getting ridiculous. 4am starts told me that something needed to be done (not least of all because my husband was away, so I was doing all the early morning starts!) Anyway, I invested in a groclock after a friend recommended one. I have to say, I was a bit dubious, my son is only 22 mths old, and I wondered if he'd actually understand what was going on.

The first day I got it, we read the accompanying book a couple of times, then I spent 3 x 5min sessions with him running through the demo mode, so we saw the sun wink (bye bye Mr Sun!) and turn into the star (Night night! Sleeping time! - we pretended to go to sleep) then into the sun again (Morning Mr Sun! Get up! Get up! - we leapt up and danced around). We did this until it seemed like he understood what was going on. I ambitiously set the sun to come up at 6am, and waited to see how it would go.

Anyway, needless to say, day 1 he woke up at 4am, I went into his room, sat with him, and just kept saying, no, sleeping time, we need to wait until the sun gets up (I'd put some toys in his cot for him to play with, and I encouraged him to do so). After an hour of this, he was beginning to lose the plot, so I subtly changed the clock to the sun, and waited for him to notice. When he did, I made a HUGE fuss of him - yes, yes clever boy, it IS the sun. Let's get up!!

Day 2, woke up at 4.10am. This time I gave it a bit longer before I went in to sit in his room, then again encouraged him to read his books, play with his cars etc. I talked to him about having to wait for Mr Sun, and didn't stay in the whole time, went in, reassured, then went out. At no time did I get him out of his cot, I just encouraged him to wait for the sun.

Day 3, woke up at 5.40am. This time, because it was only 20 mins until he had to get up, I didn't go in at all, just talked to him from outside the door about having to wait for the sun.

Day 4, woke up at 4.55am. I was a bit discouraged, felt like we were going backwards, but this time I didn't go in, just called out to reassure him, and encourage him to play with his cars, read his books, and wait for the sun. Again, I constantly reassured him if he called out or cried, but I didn't go in.

Day 5, woke up at 5.45am, and played until the sun came up

Day 6, woke up AFTER THE SUN!! 6.01am!!

Day 7, woke up at 6.35am

Day 8, woke up at 6.16am (I then took the plunge and changed the wakeup time from 6.00am to 6.15am)

Day 9, woke up at 5.40am, but didn't cry, then put himself back to sleep until 6.20am. He has NEVER put himself back to sleep before.

My top tips for success are

1) Decide you really want to do this before you start. You'll need an iron will to keep going even when bubs is protesting.

2) Once you really decide you want to do it, do NOT get the child out of bed until 'Mr Sun' comes up. I found it was ok to go in and sit with them, encourage them to play in their bed / cot, reassure them etc. If the child really starts to lose it, I would press the button to bring on the sun for the first day, or the second at a real push, but try not to let them see you doing it, otherwise they'll associate you with the sun - and it's key they understand the sun comes out independently of Mummy or Daddy coming into their room! Similarly, try not to go in if you can possibly help it.

3) Set the wake up time as their regular wake up time for the first day, then move it by 15 mins each day until you get to your desired time. I didn't do this, and think it would probably have helped.

4) Think about what you do with your child when they wake up. I thought about it and realised that we were letting him watch telly (mainly because we were so wiped!!), but actually this was reinforcing the early waking, as he was leaping out of bed, so excited about watching Peppa Pig! By not allowing him to watch telly until I was preparing dinner, I removed this association. So now, it's a cup of milk and independent play until 7am, when he has breakfast.

5) Spend a bit of time each day for the first week running through the demo mode with very exaggerated actions and enthusiasm (e.g. loud snores for sleeping, big leaps for getting up). Make it fun. And do it until your child understands. Reinforce it whenever you're reading any book, most kids books have pictures of suns or stars somewhere in them - point at it, and say what is this? Child will say 'sun, stars' etc - say, yes, it's the sun, star - what does that mean? Child - wake up, sleep. You - yes, that's RIGHT. Clever boy/girl - when we see the SUN we WAKE UP!, when we see the STAR we SLEEP.

6) Be consistent - be consistent, be consistent. Don't do it unless you're going to see it through, as your child will absolutely test you to see if you're serious. So this is why it helps to set the wakeup time close to their actual wakeup time to begin with - it's much easier to reinforce if you don't have to deal with an hour of protesting to begin with!

5.0 out of 5 stars Comes Highly Recommended, 27 Feb 2010
Mr. G. Cook - See all my reviews
Before the Gro-Clock
We bought this for our 3 year son who was waking up anything between 3 to 4 times a night calling out for us trying to get into our bed, due to lack of sleep he suceeded most nights.

After we purchased the gro-clock
After fulling explaining the concept to my son for the past week and from the very first night(since we have started using the clock) he has still woken up during the night but it has reduced from 4 times to just the once if that now. The main difference being that when he does wake up he still stayes in his room and falls back asleep straight away and generally will stay asleep well after the sun has appeared. When he does wake up in the night he doesn't leave his bedroom which is amazing, if we go in and tell him its night time and that he needs to sleep until the sun appears he does with no problem. Before the clock he would wake up and come straight in to our room desparate to climb in our bed.

Ps: Another good thing to say is that you can reduce the light on the clock, as my son has never slept with a light in his room, becuase of this we also turn the clock away from him and this still works for us.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for early risers., 31 Aug 2009
JAB (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
Great product, very clever. The story that comes with the clock helps the child understand the difference between night and day. The sun sets in the story and my son loves pressing the button to make the sun on the clock do the same.
There is no sound on the alarm so if your child is asleep when the sun rises you could get a lay in!
My son is 20 months and i think he is still a little young for it to be totally affective, he is now up at 5.30am instead of 4.30am.
2 years + you might progress a little quicker.

5.0 out of 5 stars More sleep for everyone!, 24 Aug 2009
J. Boothman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
I bought this a few weeks ago for my 3 year old son who kept getting up ridiculously early, whatever time he had gone to bed. As he has been growing out of daytime sleeps he was getting really tired and bad tempered in the day.
The price nearly put me off but the clock seemed a good design and I decided to give it a try over the holidays. It has worked perfectly. He has enjoyed setting it in the evenings (watching the sun close its eyes and change into the moon) and comes into our room at 7.30am with a beaming smile every morning telling us that the sun has come up. He has always had a night light in his bedroom and this doubles up as that, plus you can alter the brightness.
Setting it up initially was quite straightforward and if you unplug it to move it or to take away on holiday, it retains the settings. The fact that it can also be set to display digital time and has an audio alarm if required means that it will go on to be useful as he gets older.
In summary we are all getting more sleep and are a much happier household!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase!!! Wish I had known about it earlier!, 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
My 3 year old has not woken us up in the middle of the night since we got it. (Had it about 2 months) If she wakes up now she knows it's not morning time and settles herself back to sleep without shouting for me and crying. She has also always been an early riser (5am ish) I set the clock for 6 and she has slept through every night. Wish I had purchased this a long time ago! I will now be moving it forwards by 15 mins or so every couple of weeks. I also used a reward chart and stickers which I purchased from Amazon which I think is a big factor in the success as each morning she comes running in my bedroom shouting 'the clock is yellow I have won a sticker' great purchase

3.0 out of 5 stars Overrated, 2 Nov 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
IF THE TIME STARTS WITH A 5, IT IS NOT THE MORNING YET.
To 'set' the clock, you press and hold a button, making sure to do it when the toddler isn't looking so that they don't learn how to change what's on the screen. I don't think my child is a genius - is say he's an average level of brightness, but he figured out pretty quickly how the clock worked. He doesn't fiddle with it, but could just change it to a sunshine in the middle of the night, if the mood took him.
It surprises me that the buttons aren't hidden behind a panel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money!!, 19 Feb 2010
Mrs. Victoria Haigh (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
We brought this clock for our 2 year old after months of debateing if it was worth the money and it is worth every penny! We did not have a problem with our daughter wakeing up early wich is not a problem as i wake at 5am anyway! but with her sneeking into bed with us during the night, this could happen 4 times a night with us keep taking her back into her bed. we read her the story and explained that she should stay in bed until she sees mr sun and that was it! first night and everynight since she stays in bed and she loves the clock! and we can easily get her to stay in bed until 7am or later. if you are thinking should we try it, is it worth the money??? YES GET IT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Should have used it sooner, 2 Nov 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
This 'investment' had finally come into its own, having spent months on the shelf with no power connected! Our two and a half year old twins kept waking up at unpalatable times and no matter, what we couldn't get them to stay in their beds/room (they share at present). Now we have at last put it into operation, they at least understand the concept of 'stars out' and 'sun's up' - even if they don't respect the time as the point at which you wake! They do stay in bed however, chatting to each other and give us the luxury of a few more precious minutes of slumber. Wish we had put it into operation sooner, but that was down to my cynicism - but it does work!

5.0 out of 5 stars This product is amazing. Although not an instant fix, 3 Nov 2014
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
This product is amazing. Although not an instant fix, over a two week period we trained our 25 month old daughter to prolong her waking time from 5.10 to an unbelievable 6.45. She had previously been coming into bed with us in the mornings but since getting the clock we have finally convinced her that 5.10 is still sleepy time. We set it for 6am not wanting to push our luck but she has now slept way beyond this time for nearly a week. The increased sleep has also meant we have very few tears and tantrums in the day. I cannot recommend this product highly enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great item but may not help!, 25 Oct 2009
Ms. L. C. Rees (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
Having read the reviews I wasn't convinced it would help with our daughter who is just over 2yrs, but thought it was worth a try. Has helped in that she now understands she can't go downstairs until the suns up but we still get woken few times a night, this is actually getting worse which may be due to the night light being quite bright even on zero setting. We're persevering at the mo and would recommend giving it a try as think it just depends on the child. Design of the clock itself and the whole concept is great.

Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer