5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Product - Enjoyed by child and adult alike.
I purchased this item for my 2 year old who is too large for a traditional rear carrier and not quite old enough for a tag-along. The product is well made and my son seems very happy on it - in fact in the 2 days since fitting it I have had to go on 5 bike rides as he enjoys it so much.

Positioned on the cross-bar between you and the handlebars the balance of...
Published on 5 Oct 2009 by James Longworth

3.0 out of 5 stars Leco child seat
Published on 7 Dec 2010 by DH Cambridge

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Product - Enjoyed by child and adult alike., 5 Oct 2009
James Longworth (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Generic Men's Lecco MTB Top Tube Mounted Child Seat (Sports)

Positioned on the cross-bar between you and the handlebars the balance of the bike is unaffected front-to-rear and, with your arms either side of your child, it restricts their ability to lean over from side to side too much and send you swerving over the road. Sitting in front of you, you can be sure your child is safe and also they have an unobscured view ahead, as does the adult rider.

The mounting kit that comes with the seat would appear to fit all bikes regardless of tube thickness or whether it is a ladies or gents bike and is accomplished by a selection of brackets and differing length bolts. It is easy to install providing you have the correct size spanners to hand (A couple of universal bicycle spanners served the purpose for me) and it's position is sufficiently adjustable so that I had no problems ensuring both my son and I were in a comfortable position for riding. The child's back-rest seems a bit harsh being unpadded but is gently curved and in any case I would expect a child riding on the seat to lean forward and hold onto the handlebars to 'help' and so this has cause no discomfort to my son. I had to raise the handlebars slightly on my mountain bike to counter the fact that I had to ride in a slightly more upright position with my son in front of me but this was a 2 minute job.

All in all I have no reservations in recommending this product as an interim step between a traditional rear carrier and a tag along or their own bike and it is far less cumbersome that having a bike trailer to cater for children during the same transitional period.

3.0 out of 5 stars Leco child seat, 7 Dec 2010
This is a basic low-tech product that does it's job nicely. My child loves riding on it for the short journey to school and it leaves space on the bike for another (standard) child seat at the back. So I can carry 2 children with ease. The advantage of this product over the trailer (that I used to use) is that I can go all the places a normal bike does - whereas the trailer was stopped by bollards etc...forcing a longer journey to school. Be aware that this product is not compatible with (mountain) bikes with triple cabling along the top of the top tube - but a single cable configuration is OK as it fits around the side of the mounting bracket. The foot pegs are badly designed and 45 degrees out of alignment when fitted - this is OK as my child just rests their feet on the top of it and doesn't bother with the straps. Fit it well-forward on the top tube or you will have problems dismounting! I would buy this product again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab seat for bike, 2 Sep 2010
Bought this seat as an alternative to the rear ones for my 3yr old, as the rear seats made the back end of my bike too heavy and unstable. This seat was the cheapest one I found, so was understandably dubious. The seat was fairly easy to fit, the footplate was very fiddly. As stated in other reviews the footplate is a bit small and is better used to rest feet on, rather than put them in. As my bike is the one with a top tube, I drew the short straw and wasn't looking forward to riding with it on, but didn't need to worry, it is so easy to ride with it on, have to part your legs slightly while riding, but you don't feel like your carrying any extra weight. My son sat happily between my arms and enjoyed 'helping' to steer the bike. Very good value for money. Would recommend to anyone needing a stop-gap between rear bike seats and riding their own bike.

3.0 out of 5 stars so so, 12 Jun 2012
the good - saddle went on easy enough- don't understand the issues some people have had. but it simply won't work with every bike. have a look at the pictures and look at your bike. cables in the wrong place will be a problem.

the bad - the foot rest didn't fit on my bike poor design on this piece. tube was just way too big for the attachments

the good - 2yr son absolutely loves it though- screaming tantrums when i tried to take him off it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely little product, 20 Jun 2011
T. Boyce - See all my reviews
This is lovely little product. IT SPPEEDED UP MY JOURNEYS .This is more suitable for a small child rather than a bigger child. Delivery was very fast and I was able to put the little saddle on in no time .

2.0 out of 5 stars just about ok, 25 Feb 2010
not a great design, more complicated than it needs to be. i had one previously which clamped around the crossbar without being raised up. You could also just pull it out of a socket when not needed. This one you would have to unclamp with a tool. The back rest is poinless and can dig in to the pedaler. As the seated child leans forward to hold onto the handlebars it's not necessary. The foot clamp barely fitted around the diagonal bar. Apart from being a third of the cost of my bike's value and having a comfy seat it's does the job.

2.0 out of 5 stars Would not recommend, 13 Jun 2012
I was not sure about buying this product, but for the price I thought why not? My son is three and is small for his age so he fits the size requirements for the seat. It wasn't that difficult to fit onto my bike or my partners, both of our bikes have angled cross bars, not straight ones. I think this seat would be better suited to the straight bar.
We biked along a fairly smooth path to start with, but after ten minutes my son was complaining that the seat hurt his back. The problem with the seat is that no matter how hard you tighten the nuts and bolts, it tips backwards causing the childs back and bottom to be pressed against the metal backrest, which after a while is really uncomfortable for them. So we had to think of a way to sort the problem out; we blew up an arm band and slotted it over the metal backrest. Not the most conventional way to go, but seemed to work.
The other problem is that the actual seat works its way loose, so it needs to be tightened at regular intervals along your ride. This is really annoying.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 27 Oct 2009
We bought this in a bit of a hurry before going away with our bikes and didnt have time for lots of research.
Couple of comments -
Quite fiddly to put on - probably need two pairs of hands for some bits especially if you want to avoid scratching the bike frame etc.
The feet rests seem to be at an odd angle so my son ended up resting his feet on them rather than having his feet secured in the straps
Not a large backrest so not sure how comfortable it would be on longer bike rides or those on uneven surfaces
Not that comfortable a position for the peddler as legs are forced to go wider than usual

However,the seat is nice and compact and so doesnt need to come off when on top of the car etc.
My two year old son loved it and was perfectly happy on the seat even with the foot rests as they were
Thinking about getting another one for the second bike but may be tempted to get a "proper" bike seat that might be more supportive

1.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't put my child on this, 12 Sep 2011
This seat is quite tricky to attach to the bike, but once you have, its failings become obvious. It offers little support for your child unless they have dreams of becoming a circus performer. The straps are inadequate for proper balance, the foot stirrups are laughably small and narrow. My daughter (nearly three) took one look at it, toddled off and hid. I would eBay it but unless Zippos Circus need a new act, I am worried that I may end up on a manslaughter charge. Having said that, if your child has dreams of flying and you are about 6' 6" tall (so you can bend over your little darling and actually touch the handle bars without squashing their head) this is the seat for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 27 April 2012
I had a few reservations when buying this product, but these were erased after the first 2 seconds of the first ride when my 3 year old son started laughing and shouting faster faster daddy!! It's easy to assemble. Very secure and comfortable and does not affect the balance of the bike. Dont think about it, buy it.

Oxford Junior Top Tube Child Seat - Black