on 12 August 2011
I had literally hundreds of old photographs from my childrens younger days and the thought of putting them all manually through a normal scanner was daunting to say the least.
I decided to buy this and have not regretted it. It was easy to set up and get started scanning. They recommend that you put every picture into the supplied sleeve to get the best results but after a while I found this very fiddly and slow so tried without it. Much faster and to be honest I didn't notice any difference.
It was great to share these old photos on Facebok etc and you can do hundreds in a few hours just feeding them through. OK the resolution is not fantastic but what do you expect for the price? It is a nice little piece of kit.
on 14 February 2013
Ok folks I don`t know why anyone has given this little scanner a low star rating it is compact and robust scans a 4x6 photo in around 2 seconds onto the memory card and the results are good even full screen on my 17.3 inch laptop plus its cheap It scans perfectly well with or without the photo sleeve just take care to put your picture in straight, I think that is the main reason for the sleeve other than that its literature is not the best but it only has one button one card slot and one photo slot so it aint rocket science. the two items that come with it are for cleaning the rollers and card slot , it tells you on the box .Finally the power supply has an adequate 2 meter cord and is supplied with both 2 and 3 pin fittings. the only comment I can make to those who had poor scans is if you take good photos you get good scans , take poor photos and nothing on earth will improve them. A great buy.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 February 2014
I bought this scanner, like many others I'm sure, because I have many hundreds of old prints to digitise and it takes an age to do this on a flat bed scanner.
Using this unit, I don't need a PC, it writes to SD card so we can be sat in the lounge or take the device round someone's house and easily do some scanning. The unit itself is about the size of a spectacle case, so is very portable.

The speed of scanning won't cause any complaints, you feed in a photo, and it pulls it through in a few seconds. There is a fraction of a second delay while it writes to the SD card and it's then ready for the next photo.

Note you can still use this scanner with a PC if you require, but I have not done this yet.

The quality of the scans isn't brilliant, but it is acceptable. Resolution is capped at 300dpi and you're not going to get results as good as most flatbed scanners. For this reason, I recommend the device for scanning older home snaps where the quality isn't amazing anyway. For example, in my family, any photos before the early 1990s tend to lack crispness, so the quality of the scanner isn't a huge problem. Indeed, I find I can actually improve many of our family snaps by using Auto-levelling and other tricks in Picasa or Photoshop. Going back in time further, to photos from the 70s and earlier, you're really unlikely to benefit from higher resolutions.

However, if you have sharp, vivid photos from better cameras (which we seem to have from the mid 90s onwards - we must have finally bought a decent camera :-) ) then you are going to lose noticeable quality using this scanner. The results won't be awful by any means, and they will be perfectly acceptable to put on Facebook to share the nostalgia - just don't think you'll get a perfect facsimile of a decent photo print.

Note, this unit sadly doesn't accept 7x5 prints, so you are likely going to be restricted to older prints anyway.

For me, this compromise is worth it for the ease and speed of scanning. Put simply, I'd rather have hundreds of averagely scanned prints from the 80s than hardly any prints at all - and the latter is what I had when I had to use the flatbed.

A few important notes: First of all, the instruction manual is located as a PDF file on the supplied SD Card. It recommends that the unit be cleaned every 50 or so prints, and they are not kidding!
I hadn't realised the manual was there, so used my own SD card and started scanning away. After approx 50 photos I noticed horizontal lines appearing on the images.
The fix is to use the supplied roller cleaner widget and load it into the unit. A piece of rubber stops it from passing fully through and it is then supposed to be ejected out once cleaning is finished. This didn't seem to work smoothly for me, but turning the unit off and on caused it to eject and I could see clear lines of dirt on the material surface. This fixed my problem with the lines.
A swab is also supplied to clean the scanner head I believe, along with an alignment card which I used but probably didn't need to.

So, my workflow now is to scan 30 or so photos at a time and then do a roller clean. The last thing you want to do is find out that hundreds of your scans are spoiled.

The scanner also comes with a photo sleeve which they recommend you use for all photos. In practise, you won't see any improved quality with this providing your photos are flat - in fact you might see worse quality as the sleeve is an extra surface to pick up dust. However, where it does prove useful is when you have photos that are curled with age. The sleeve keeps these snaps flatter and therefore avoids problems with the print not sitting flush to the scan head.

Speaking of dust, I'd advise having a duster on hand to wipe each photo quickly before you scan it. A singgle spec of dust on someone's face can ruin a photo.

One final note - my unit stopped working completely after 100 or so photos and I thought it was broken. Every time I turned it on, it just kept flashing its light and wouldn't accept photos. The solution was to stop using my modern 4GB SDHC memory card and use their supplied 512MB one. 512MB is plenty of space anyway, as the scanned image resolution is relatively low. I find the average filesize of a photo is approx 700kB, which means you can easily fit over 700 photos on their supplied card before needing to wipe it. The unit now powers up much quicker with their card too - it was taking up to 30 seconds with my 4GB card, even when it was empty.
on 21 March 2011
The scanner is really easy to setup and use. It is amazingly small and has the size of a medium stapler.

It comes with an SD card and you can start scanning right away. 2 problems so far:
- Documentation is really poor. The product didnt come with detailed instructions on how to clean or align the scan. I downloaded the manual from here: [...]
- The resolution is not amazing. It is not a professional product and full size pictures can get a little blurred. The small ones look better.

Good purchase, not professional but it scans pictures really fast and I was able to load 100s of them while watching telie as it is very portable and doesnt need a computer nearby.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 December 2011
I bought this scanner for my mum who has boxes of old photographs that never get looked at anymore, just gathering dust. This scanner is a godsend. It is so easy to set up and is very fast, she was whipping the photos through in a matter of seconds and seeing the old photos on the monitor has brought them back to life. It is lovely to be able to transfer them to PC easily and edit them. She now has her screensaver set up to scroll through them all like a slideshow. Worth every penny!
on 27 November 2011
Compact little scanner which quickly rips through your pics. I had around 4000 pics to scan in so bought this as my flat bed would have taken years to scan all !
The quality is 300dpi which ain't bad. The majority of my photos were pre 1990 and not the highest of quality and the scanner did them perfectly.
You need to use a sleeve thing with the unit which is not much extra effort.
Highly recommended !
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 October 2011
I had limited expectations for this device given that is has a modest price and that my previous experience of photo scanners has been poor. However, the scans are good and the ability to save direct to SD card (supplied) is a real bonus. you are up and running in minutes.

I had not expect for the device to come with a photo sleeve into which you put the photo. I'm sure the quality has to be better. However, one hundred scans in and my sleeve is a little marked so I contacted Pandigital's customer services to see how I could get spare sleeves. The short answer is that I can't. They do not ship them interntionally. I find this a little irksome given that I would want to get the best possible scan each time. Having had the sleeve, I would want to use it all the time.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 January 2011
I bought this for my Mum for Christmas and she loves it. User friendly and great for all those photos sitting festering in albums! She has found it really easy to use and very quick.
on 30 March 2011
A brilliant little scanner! I'm currently scanning in my (many) albums etc so fast and uploading to Facebook!

A little side note. It *also* scans APS prints (apart from panoramic photos). APS are a little larger then 6 x 4 (but smaller than a 7 x 5). I have a lot, and it's been scanning them happy as anything!

So happy I have it, as with my flat-bed scanner, I was never going to get around to scanning all these photos...
on 29 October 2009
this is a handheld scanner measures 6 x 1.5 inches scans photos up to 6x 4 if you have a lot of old photos taken way back before you had digital cameras this is an ideal way to digitise all your old photos. All you do is slot in a memory card uses sd,xd,mmc,ms,mspro cards it has a built in card reader,scan a photo it will automatically scan to your memory card or to pc no more lugging out the big printer/scanner, only takes a few seconds from scanning to memory card, when you finish you can view your scanned photos through the pc or whichever equipment to view photos