Format: MP3 DownloadChange

on 22 September 2000
I first found out about Heather through the Dawson's Creek soundtrack. The album has many strong points including the amazing Paper Cup which manages to capture perfectly the hurt and pain of leaving someone. Other highlights include the uplifting London Rain and I'm the girl. Heather's vocals are often haunting and especially beautiful on such tracks as Heart and Shoulder and What a Feeling. Comaprisons to Tori Amos and Alanis are bound to be made by critics but Heather really stands apart as a raw and unique artist. I love it and her first album, Oyster, though not contaning as many enjoybale tracks as Siren is still well worth the money. If you're looking for an album that you can call your own and are looking for a different folk/alternative sound then this is the one for you.
on 19 January 2000
Siren is in every way as good an album as Oyster. Like most of Heather Nova's work, it requires at least a few listens for full appreciation. On first listening to the album, the standout, most catchy songs are London Rain, Heart and Shoulder and Widescreen - these are the types of songs most likely to be released for the charts. They are good, but by no means the most aesthetically pleasing songs on the album. In my opinion, these are Blood of Me, I'm Alive, What a Feeling, Paper Cup and Not Only Human, which is as good a song as any that Heather Nova has released. Definitely the best track on the album. However, Siren's not all reflective, thoughtful broodiness. The upbeat I'm the Girl and the grunge-like Make You Mine, are brilliant too.
on 15 December 2001
Heather Nova is one of the best female singer/songwriters around and it is amazing she hasn't enjoyed more success. This album is the first of her albums I have purchased and I was a little dubious given I hadn't heard too much of her, and on first listen I thought, well there are a few good tracks, but not a great album, but something made me give it another chance and after a few listens you really get into the album and now there isn't a track on it I skip, it's one of my favourite albums.
London Rain - probably Heathers best known track from this album, a fantastic opener, it has an accoustic poppy feel, really makes you feel good.
Blood Of Me - When this kicks in you realise theres more to the album than folk/pop, this track is meaner and quite angry. Fantastic track.
Heart and Shoulder - Another up tempo track, great words.
What A Feeling - Slower track, piano led, beautiful
Valley Of Sound - Mid tempo, Heathers delivery on this track is great.
I'm The Girl - Quite a Fleetwood Mac sounding song, really picks up the pace of the album.
Winter Blue - Really gorgeous track, lovely words, a real love song.
I'm Alive - This track reminds me of Sheryl Crow, in the 'Riverwide' kind of mould. A real grower.
Widescreen - Up tempo, suggestive lyrics, you can't feel bad when you listen to this.
Papercup - Quite a lilting track, nice words.
Avalanche - Really love the words to this one, one of my favourites.
Make You Mine - Again a pick up of pace just when it's called for, a very up front track, both music and lyrics.
Ruby Red - An interesting verse, rythmn wise, nice chorus.
Not Only Human - A cool track to end on, you'll definately identify with the words.
Summed up: Heather is a fantastic singer and an amazing songwriter. She has written every track on the album by herself, something not seen often enough, and it really lets you hear what she can do. This album shows her talent excellently and if you want to sample Heather it's a pretty good place to start.
on 25 July 2003
A truely beautiful album, amazing, romantic and sensitive music. It is also very clever and not something i have ever listened to before. I would recommend it to anyone who has interest in alternative feminine music. It is truely beautiful and lovely to listen too. ENJOY!
VINE VOICEon 28 December 2006
It's very difficult to accurately review music, since peoples tastes naturally rely upon being able to hear it. Perhaps before I begin it would be necessary to outline the female singers that I like, as that may at least hint towards what I personally consider "good". Beth Orton, KT Tunstall, Jewel and Alanis Morissette I would consider excellent.

Heather Nova was completely unknown to me until I purchased this CD, admittedly from an Amazon Recommendation. I have to say that I think that Nova is a wonderful singer and this CD has some terrific songs. She has a great presence of voice that is very soft but at the same time very powerful. This is a real pleasure to listen to.
on 1 May 2002
I first bought 'Oyster' and was recommended 'Siren' by a good friend. Whilst 'Oyster' took a while to find it's way to my liking, 'Siren' was a winner. It is a fabulously crafted gem of an album, demonstrating different styles and themes. It is beautiful. 'London Rain' is a loud, up-beat song that you will want to sing along to, 'Heart and Shoulder' is somewhat of a lament sprinkled with reassurance, 'What a Feeling' is slow, with mellow tones, almost heart rending, 'Valley of Sound' demonstrates powerful guitar and instrumentation 'Winter Blue' is one of my very favourite songs, a lively, cheerful but passionate love song, gloriously arranged it gets played over and over again! 'Avalanche' begins quite slowly but livens up in the chorus and is incredibly catchy. 'Ruby Red' is quite quirky but has an excellent sound, and whinig lyrics...great! 'Not Only Human' is contemplative, but gorgeous. This is very definately one of my favourite albums, and a great epitome of Heather's striking talent which isn't given the publicity it deserves. It is so refreshing to hear a singer with huge musical talent and a beautiful voice.
on 12 June 2003
Second studio album of this highly talented musician. I like it even more than her first one. Incredible, how she can express the life of her soul. Again all songs are written by herself. My favourite songs are „London Rain", „Heart And Shoulder", „I'm The Girl", „Make You Mine" and „Not Only Human". After I have assigned ten stars to the first album „Oyster", now I guess I have to give eleven stars for „Siren".
on 30 June 2000
I bought this CD based on the fact I had heard Heart and Shoulder on the radio a few times, the first time I listened to it - I automatically fell in love with every song on the albumn which happens very rarely - this CD is a must buy for all tastes - whatever mood you are in this covers it.
on 13 July 2002
It's just so darn nice to finally see some true revolution within the world of music. Of course it's been there for ages, but I believe that Heather Nova has been able to pull it up to a whole new level within this particular genre. This cd is a cross between hardcore anti-popmusic and the most beautiful ballads which are stuffed with an amount of pure inspiration which one is absolutely incapable of refusing to let into one's system. This is not the same recycled lyrics as we are used to hearing, while listening to the pop-chart - they are true feelings being formed into words and sentences, to which one can actually relate. In a brief sentence I can say that what amazed me the most were the lyrics... So buy this cd merely for the verbal content. The musical side comes afterwards :-)
on 23 August 2003
Fantastic album, if I reviewed it in a few months I imagine it would get a five star, it just keeps growing on me. Her voice is beautifully tragic and is almost comparable to Beth Orton. A few tracks jump out at you, especially number 3, but then the rest of them just blend in with the best ones to produce an enigmatic musical experience. Like this, you'll love Heather Nova, Oyster.